As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Presidential Election is shocking. Be shocked!

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    kaine left the stage to a modern era bon jovi song

voting trump now

This is in Philly?

There's a really weird demographic of white people just a few years older than me from Philly that fucking loves Bon Jovi. It's the weirdest thing.

philly is basically western new jersey right?

Mostly Philly hates Jersey. We kind of adopted Springsteen, because of course we did, but the rest of the state can fuck right off. We even make them pay taxes for commuting in to work here.

And that extends to Bon Jovi for the most part. At least for anyone that isn't a white X-er from Fishtown or Kensington.

And here as a southerner I'd always thought of being a Bon Jovi fan as a redneck thing...

Like, I'll admit it. I actually like Bon Jovi, completely unironically. I just have this urge to take off my outer shirt, drink budweiser, and buy an IROC when I listen to him.

Kensington is basically the West Virginia of Philadelphia.

Actual conversation I had with my best friend from childhood, who's kind of a music snob-

Me: "I mean, I think you should know this, and I feel like I should be completely honest - I actually really like Bon Jovi."

Friend: "Yeah, well, I'm not really surprised. You can't get out of [our hometown] without some kind of white trash in you."

EDIT: This was not an ideal TOTP.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Hopium only, Duffel! Get hype!

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    QUICK REMINDER!

There are a LOT of indications that there'll be a massive DDOS attack tomorrow. Assume you won't have access to the Internet tomorrow! Google everything you need TODAY!

I haven't heard much more than rumors. You got any news articles?

Not to hand, but I know it started getting covered last week. I mostly know what I've been hearing from friends who work in Information Security.

Well there is only one lad to summon.

@Giggles_Funsworth what have you heard?

This is going to veer off topic quite quickly, but the gist of it is that there is compelling reason to believe that the Mirai botnet attack on Dyn was a rehearsal for a larger attack (based a pattern of such 'rehearsals' leading up to the Dyn attack itself), and one of the most obvious days to cop-opt for an attack would be the presidential election.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    It should be pointed out that the DDOS attack, if it does indeed happen, is unlikely to sabotage the election itself so much as it's going to make things that much more awkward for anyone who might end up needing the Internet for anything.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    QUICK REMINDER!

There are a LOT of indications that there'll be a massive DDOS attack tomorrow. Assume you won't have access to the Internet tomorrow! Google everything you need TODAY!

Not to hand, but I know it started getting covered last week. I mostly know what I've been hearing from friends who work in Information Security.

Giggles_Funsworth what have you heard?

This is going to veer off topic quite quickly, but the gist of it is that there is compelling reason to believe that the Mirai botnet attack on Dyn was a rehearsal for a larger attack (based a pattern of such 'rehearsals' leading up to the Dyn attack itself), and one of the most obvious days to cop-opt for an attack would be the presidential election.

Beat'd. Pretty much this but I would say the rumors are on the level of "extreme speculation" right now.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    my voting place is basically 2 blocks away from my house so finding it isn't really going to be an issue for me thankfully

i should still probably check and see what all is on the ballot though my reflex is to just vote for anyone with a D next to their name

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    It should be pointed out that the DDOS attack, if it does indeed happen, is unlikely to sabotage the election itself so much as it's going to make things that much more awkward for anyone who might end up needing the Internet for anything.

Oh yeah, DDOS so far as I know doesn't alter, corrupt or delete data. It just makes things more annoying.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

voting trump now

This is in Philly?

There's a really weird demographic of white people just a few years older than me from Philly that fucking loves Bon Jovi. It's the weirdest thing.

Mostly Philly hates Jersey. We kind of adopted Springsteen, because of course we did, but the rest of the state can fuck right off. We even make them pay taxes for commuting in to work here.

And that extends to Bon Jovi for the most part. At least for anyone that isn't a white X-er from Fishtown or Kensington.

And here as a southerner I'd always thought of being a Bon Jovi fan as a redneck thing...

Like, I'll admit it. I actually like Bon Jovi, completely unironically. I just have this urge to take off my outer shirt, drink budweiser, and buy an IROC when I listen to him.

Actual conversation I had with my best friend from childhood, who's kind of a music snob-

Me: "I mean, I think you should know this, and I feel like I should be completely honest - I actually really like Bon Jovi."

Friend: "Yeah, we've gotta hold on to what we've got."

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    QUICK REMINDER!

Beat'd. Pretty much this but I would say the rumors are on the level of "extreme speculation" right now.

Also, the entire industry is expecting it now.

• Options
    QUICK REMINDER!

Yeah, I know the people who work in the area here are working on the assumption that it's more likely than not, but in fairness it is kinda their job to do that.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

voting trump now

This is in Philly?

Friend: "Yeah, well, I'm not really surprised. You can't get out of [our hometown] without some kind of white trash in you."

EDIT: This was not an ideal TOTP.

Can't help the culture you were raised in. I'm just happy I was lucky enough to find a way somewhere more cosmopolitan.

That's probably why I've got a bit more empathy for those sorts of folks than others around here. If I was raised just a section over I would probably be a Trump voter.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    QUICK REMINDER!

Yeah, and Campaign Trump s expecting the loss tomorrow.

Not much they can do about it in either case, though.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Oh shit 90 minutes until Dixville Notch

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Clinton turnout person on Keepin' It 1600 is very confident, and says they had planned for the suppression effort needing day of voters to get the African-American numbers where they need to be.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Oh shit 90 minutes until Dixville Notch

I'm ready. Let's do this.

Imagine I wasn't lazy and found a clip of Pres. Bartlett saying "Screw it. It's game time. Let's go." And posted it in this spot

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    UVA Sabato's final electoral map is Clinton 322-216. So falling in line with the positive but not massive blow-out predictions.

Edit: found the link (originally seeing on MSNBC): http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/

There will never be a Dem blowout victory in a presidential election. This election have proven beyond all reasonable doubt that republicans will never break ranks or abandon their candidate.

If only K-12 could vote.

CwN0BjQWAAAAy5B.jpg

So, good news for 2032.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »
    UVA Sabato's final electoral map is Clinton 322-216. So falling in line with the positive but not massive blow-out predictions.

Edit: found the link (originally seeing on MSNBC): http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/

There will never be a Dem blowout victory in a presidential election. This election have proven beyond all reasonable doubt that republicans will never break ranks or abandon their candidate.

If only K-12 could vote.

CwN0BjQWAAAAy5B.jpg

So, good news for 2032.

The walls are closing in...

With Love and Courage
  • Options

Oh yeah, DDOS so far as I know doesn't alter, corrupt or delete data. It just makes things more annoying.

Pretty much, plus there's a lot of speculation on what shape the attack will take. If it follows the pattern of the last one then social media will be a target, but the Russians and others are likely to be relying on Social Media for a massive disinformation campaign tomorrow. But then again, Russia may not have a say in what's going to happen.

It does lead to the amusing image of hundreds of paid Russian trolls angrily trying to refresh Twitter over and over to post their stuff.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    out of 40 electoral contests, including primaries, but excluding races with no challengers, dixville notch has correctly selected the winner 21 times

putting them just a hair above random chance

but they are almost always first to report so

also, yes, they are not always first to report even though they have 26 voters and cast their ballots at 12:01am on election day

they are maybe the dumbest curiosity in our entire election system

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    QUICK REMINDER!

Yeah, and Campaign Trump s expecting the loss tomorrow.

Not much they can do about it in either case, though.

Sure there is. You can watch volume ramp-up indicators to predict the start of an attack and begin filtering out "bad" traffic. You can also be ready to spin up redundant services in public clouds. Logs from the last attack could have been used to scrape IP addresses from compromised devices in the botnet to reject their traffic upstream of the servers under attack. There are companies that provide mitigation and filtering services that can step in in the middle of an attack to filter attack traffic out.

Depending on the volume, complexity, and target, the above may or may not work, but there's plenty of shit that can be done.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

If only K-12 could vote.

CwN0BjQWAAAAy5B.jpg

So, good news for 2032.

The walls are closing in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECewrAld3zw

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I found some exclusive video footage of the guy who forced Trump off the stage at his event a few days ago.

I'm disappointed this wasn't John Cena...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    out of 40 electoral contests, including primaries, but excluding races with no challengers, dixville notch has correctly selected the winner 21 times

also, yes, they are not always first to report even though they have 26 voters and cast their ballots at 12:01am on election day

My recollection is that they are pretty conservative and that we were happy with a tie in 2012 and Pants basically called '08 when Obama won a large majority.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Dixville Notch is going hard Trump.

So that way we can spend the next 20 hours speculating about new hampshire.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

My recollection is that they are pretty conservative and that we were happy with a tie and Pants basically called '08 when Obama won a large majority.

yeah i think they're all registered either republican or independent

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Can't help the culture you were raised in. I'm just happy I was lucky enough to find a way somewhere more cosmopolitan.

That's probably why I've got a bit more empathy for those sorts of folks than others around here. If I was raised just a section over I would probably be a Trump voter.

Oh, I'm completely unashamed of it. Honestly still feel more comfortable in that sort of environment than elsewhere. But we grew up in the same town, which is what makes it funny (his vice? Appetite For Destruction-era GNR). If somebody from the burbs said that to me I probably wouldn't have spoken to them again.

To bring this back on topic, friend in question is actually where I wish the Republican party would end up. He's a relatively conservative guy, a regular churchgoer, but very open-minded on "culture war" issues; doesn't favor abortion as a personal decision but doesn't think it should be illegal; he's not a leftist economically like me, but thinks privatization for its own sake is nothing but a scam, and favors a mixed economy; really patriotic, and from a military family, but he's not ignorant and doesn't whitewash American history; not an "intellectual" and certainly not invested in leftist identity politics, but he's a voracious reader and thinks structural 'isms are major problems that need to be dealt with; you probably get the picture.

Of course, AFAIK he's voted D in every election since we graduated.

Duffel on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    So per 538, the poll herding for this last round of polls is... severe. Like, a huge number of +4 polls severe.

I don't think it's really a bad sign, since it's not exactly herding to a race that's winnable for Trump, but it is definitely noteworthy.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Everybody stop fucking around and get the race close to correct!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    So per 538, the poll herding for this last round of polls is... severe. Like, a huge number of +4 polls severe.

I don't think it's really a bad sign, since it's not exactly herding to a race that's winnable for Trump, but it is definitely noteworthy.

+4 to trump?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    538 map as of roughly 10 minutes ago.

Not likely to change before election day.

KllO8AX.png

Here's to hoping for tomorrow! Get out there and do your civic duty!

edit: Also a write up from Nate on the subject: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-clinton-gains-and-the-polls-magically-converge/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    QUICK REMINDER!

It was high alert all day at my office, multiple wargame sims for backbone DNS.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

+4 to trump?

Obviously not, no.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    EXCUSE ME there is some unwarranted anti-Jersey horseshittery in this thread from the general area of PHILADELPHIA of all places and I will NOT HAVE IT

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    God damn I'm an idiot for not mailing in my ballot last week.

4 hours on the road, but my ballot is in the office of the Clerk & Recorder of my Hometown.

Sidenote: Holy jesus there are a shitload of HomeSec guys outside my Clerk & Recorder office. I know it's an election, but for my small town (150k), I was not expecting to see 6 vehicles and two guys in tactical patrolling the building.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

Chance leads his fans to early voting queues in downtown Chicago

If one more party try to stop me
    It's gon' be some Democrat voters in ya lobby, huh huh

This. This is good. It was bopped, so I'm fixing that.

• Options
    To clarify, herding is basically the practice of pollsters inching together their toplines near the end of the campaign towards what they think the consensus is, to prevent looking like they released a crazy outlier on election day. But that means that the final polling trends towards "whatever pollsters think is reasonable" with some direction given by the polls, rather than the true (and varied) state of the race from actual polling.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

4 hours on the road, but my ballot is in the office of the Clerk & Recorder of my Hometown.

Sidenote: Holy jesus there are a shitload of HomeSec guys outside my Clerk & Recorder office. I know it's an election, but for my small town (150k), I was not expecting to see 6 vehicles and two guys in tactical patrolling the building.

I didn't know homeland security did stuff like that.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    EXCUSE ME there is some unwarranted anti-Jersey horseshittery in this thread from the general area of PHILADELPHIA of all places and I will NOT HAVE IT

Least Coast squabbles are weird. You are all cold and terrible and none of you can stay up late enough to finish a sports event

• Options
    538 map as of roughly 10 minutes ago.

Not likely to change before election day.

KllO8AX.png

Here's to hoping for tomorrow! Get out there and do your civic duty!

edit: Also a write up from Nate on the subject: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-clinton-gains-and-the-polls-magically-converge/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

FUCK YEAH North Carolina! You turn blue! You turn blue so damn hard so we can rub it in the faces of every arsehole who tried to disenfranchise a voter!

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »

I remember where I was for Priest's midnight ride.
    It was a dark and stormy night...

This discussion has been closed.