As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »
    So I have FFXV ordered, it hasn't gotten here yet, but it's on the way.

I just read about the free update news, and how they're going to add story stuff to Chapter 13. Is Chapter 13 really that bad? If someone could like, tell me what's supposedly so wrong with it without any spoilers, I'd appreciate that.

I kinda get that the patch is probably a long ways off. But, I also have no intention of replaying the game once I've beaten it. I don't replay games, I'm a one-and-done kinda person.

So... am I better off waiting to play FFXV til this patch comes out? Or should I just hop right in? I'm fine with waiting for the patch if it really is going to make the game that much better and more complete, I mean.

No, just play the damn game. Understand that in these threads people nitpick every detail of the game to the nth degree, because it's a discussion thread, and people want to talk about the game. Even though chapter 13 is a touch weak, it's not game breaking, it doesn't invalidate the rest of the game which is great and fun and worth playing. If they shore up the story with some new cut scenes in a couple of months you can watch them on Youtube (which is exactly what I did with Mass Effect 3, which I have the exact same opinion about: Not sticking the landing doesn't invalidate that the rest of the game is great and worth playing).

Cool, thanks! This is pretty much what I was hoping someone would tell me. I'll just jump right in then :P

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Okay I watched a video for one of the others, and while it looks to be the same pattern of repeating identical hallways and rooms at least this one has enemies in it to fight.

And....it only took the guy 3 hours to get through it, Jesus Christ.

EDIT: Oh and still multiple ways with the doors locking behind you on the right way...so... yeesh. Only go in using a guide to know which way to go for items.

Given that you don't need to do those for the platinum, and the only reward is slightly stronger weapons than you can obtain during the main game

I don't know that I'm gonna bother

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to do an "Armiger Chain" ? The ability to do one is learned on the Armiger Ascension Grid and just says "Launch a full-sacle attack with allies. Empties Armiger Bar." But there's no explanation or instruction as how to actually do it.

I've tried to do link attacks with Armiger activated, but so far it has not been successful.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    They explain it

Just hit L1 and R1 again

• Options
    Yeah as soon as you got your... third? Royal Arm, it popped up and said "Hey hit L1 and R1 to do an Armiger Chain, also a new node has unlocked on the Ascension Grid"

• Options
    So I tap L1 and R1 a second time while using Armiger? Its not listed on the node in the grid for me. Or anywhere else.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    It pops up in the story and explains what it is and how to do it in a big text box.

You must've not noticed or bumped out of it by accident.

Might also tell you if you putt the button prompts/layout on the interface.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Related note, anyone know if the remaining meter affects the damage of the Armiger Chain at all? I've been using it just before Armiger would run out on its own anyway.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Related note, anyone know if the remaining meter affects the damage of the Armiger Chain at all? I've been using it just before Armiger would run out on its own anyway.

According to the tool tip the more meter you have when you use it the more damage it does.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Non-Final Fantasy XV related:

I purchased FF5 a few weeks ago and just got around to playing it on my phone... I love it. I think that I'd prefer the original graphics, but the new graphics don't annoy me as much as I thought they would. The job system is, of course, fun and allows me to experiment a bit.

However I completely forgot about old school FF games and the fact that you have to buy spells.

urahonky on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »

According to the tool tip the more meter you have when you use it the more damage it does.

It's not always available either, though I haven't tried to figure out why. You'll see the prompt in the same place as the armiger prompt though once you initiate the armiger, just with 'chain' added on.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    I got it. Wow that's handy.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure everyone on the team needs to be out of danger/alive in order to use it.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    It'll be funny if they just keep on adding shit gradually until it turns into more like whatever people thought versus XIII was going to be now that the pressure to finally get it out the door is done and over.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    It'll be funny if they just keep on adding shit gradually until it turns into more like whatever people thought versus XIII was going to be now that the pressure to finally get it out the door is done and over.

It can't, because Versus had a Warring Houses & Romeo and Juliet story and they totally scrapped that part and totally removed Stella as Noctis' lover and foil/rival as well as the backdrop dealing with Etro, the god of the Dead.

XV is a good game, but its story is very different than the origional reveals for Versus's story.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I had completely forgotten about all that stuff haha

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    I had completely forgotten about all that stuff haha

I also miss some of the other little FF refrence details. Like, the Lucis family banners had Doomtrain on them and the Fleuret banners had Bahamut on them.

And i still think it's a shame that Stella was written out. She still has had the best design of any and every FF female lead, in my opinion.

Oh, and they lost the whole "Darkness and Starlight" reference with the Hero/Heroine names when they went away form the R+J plot, which was a FFVI Opera reference.

Point being, XV is not and never will be Versus. It's a different game and different story that reused assets and character designs of the dead Versus project.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Up to chapter six now, this thing eats free time like few other games, and yet I'm absolutely loving it. :heartbeat:
    There's always 'just one more quest' but I usually end up running low on battery (on the controller) before I can pry myself away. :P 8-)

My Noctis keeps getting eaten by Eldritch Octopus Wizards, he's seen some shit:
    A7en3ox.jpg

But it's all worth it, for the all people, who, for better or worse - depend upon him, and he upon them:
    GUzdTT4.jpg

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I was going to put FFXV to the side to play TLG but TLG arrived right in the middle of Chapter 13 and left such a bad taste in my mouth, I had to get XV done. So... I finished the game and (end game spoilers)
    WTF? Luna's alive now?

Those last two boss battles were pretty good and I liked the ending, it was just that Chapter 9-13 run of nonsense and confusion that killed a lot of my enthusiasm for this game. Chapter 13 in particular just drags on and on and on and on and on, easily the worst last dungeon in a Final Fantasy.

Old Noctis looked weird, like they glued his dad's head onto his body or something, but maybe that's just because I was so used to young Noctis.

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with all the post-game dungeons but I should be back for all the remaining trophies once I finish TLG.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    On the upcoming DLC Episodes and Gladiolus.
    I hope his has him tracking down and killing Glauca, getting revenge for his father.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    I was going to put FFXV to the side to play TLG but TLG arrived right in the middle of Chapter 13 and left such a bad taste in my mouth, I had to get XV done. So... I finished the game and (end game spoilers)
    WTF? Luna's alive now?

Those last two boss battles were pretty good and I liked the ending, it was just that Chapter 9-13 run of nonsense and confusion that killed a lot of my enthusiasm for this game. Chapter 13 in particular just drags on and on and on and on and on, easily the worst last dungeon in a Final Fantasy.

Old Noctis looked weird, like they glued his dad's head onto his body or something, but maybe that's just because I was so used to young Noctis.

I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with all the post-game dungeons but I should be back for all the remaining trophies once I finish TLG.
    no. Luna and noctis both died. That bit at the end is their (wedding gear) selves showing up at the memorial to Noctis in the crown city

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    I hope his has him tracking down and killing Glauca, getting revenge for his father.
    Didn't Nyx kill Glauca in Kingsglaive?

• Options
    DoctorEars wrote: »
    Didn't Nyx kill Glauca in Kingsglaive?
    It shows him wounded heavily by Nyx in the film, but it never shows him dead.

Considering all the other deaths in the film are shown on-screen...

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Man.

That ending. Goddamit, someone hug Noct. Please.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Ah. So that's what the title image is.

Excuse me, I must start sobbing hideously

EDIT: My first playthrough was 51 hours long. Of course it was

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Welp I just spent the last hour trying to get a sturdy helixhorn

Perhaps tomorrow

• Options

Perhaps tomorrow

First horn I broke gave me one... good ol RNGesus

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    I don't know how anyone can defend the plot narrative of this game.
    In the game context, sure, this is a game from the point of view of Noctis, but it's also a game. So, while he may not know all the goings on of the world, the player really should have a better understanding of what's going on and why it was important. I don't really know why Luna's position as "Oracle" was important, because the lore wasn't explained. Even passively through material you can find and read, it's not that explained.

There's a whole slew of scenes missing from trailers from the past 3 years that are missing. Father / Son hug moment, eating pea soup, etc. It seems like the story had to have been finalized in the last year, which is disappointing.

Ardyn's plot was interesting but fleshed out the most shallow ways. I should have had some sort of flashback granted by the crystal to see what the hell happened - because it's loosely explained.

Regis, speaking with, who I assume is, Bahamut in the Omen trailer never makes an appearance in the game, and so... It seems like SE made more marketing plot materials than finished the actual plot. Sure, we're going to get new story scenes to flesh these details out for free, great... but I guess... Why call this a finished game.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay itself is very finished, and engaging. I really find the battle system fun, but I don't understand this plot at all, and those who are defending it. Getting snippets from the radio are interesting, but these are important points in the plot that the characters should react to, and probably have a scene to make it important. Important plot points shouldn't be missable if you ignore the little radio on the train.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I don't know how anyone can defend the plot narrative of this game.
    In the game context, sure, this is a game from the point of view of Noctis, but it's also a game. So, while he may not know all the goings on of the world, the player really should have a better understanding of what's going on and why it was important. I don't really know why Luna's position as "Oracle" was important, because the lore wasn't explained. Even passively through material you can find and read, it's not that explained.

There's a whole slew of scenes missing from trailers from the past 3 years that are missing. Father / Son hug moment, eating pea soup, etc. It seems like the story had to have been finalized in the last year, which is disappointing.

Ardyn's plot was interesting but fleshed out the most shallow ways. I should have had some sort of flashback granted by the crystal to see what the hell happened - because it's loosely explained.

Regis, speaking with, who I assume is, Bahamut in the Omen trailer never makes an appearance in the game, and so... It seems like SE made more marketing plot materials than finished the actual plot. Sure, we're going to get new story scenes to flesh these details out for free, great... but I guess... Why call this a finished game.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay itself is very finished, and engaging. I really find the battle system fun, but I don't understand this plot at all, and those who are defending it. Getting snippets from the radio are interesting, but these are important points in the plot that the characters should react to, and probably have a scene to make it important. Important plot points shouldn't be missable if you ignore the little radio on the train.
    I honestly don't know how you could have missed the fact that the Oracle can communicate with the Six.

Like, the story isn't exactly amazing, but the game lays out everything you need to know to engage with it. Honestly I'm not terribly interested in them adding new scenes. The one scene we know that they patched in with the day one patch, that Kingsglaive cut at the end of Chapter 1, added literally nothing to the game and if anything damaged the pacing of that segment slightly.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    This game really needs an end game/post game area on the map with lots and lots of high level enemies where you can just fight to your hearts content to farm exp, materials, and AP.

I'm saving most of the Sealed Door Dungeons for after I get the Ascension Grid nodes I want, because I want to have something to do after the grinding, but the grinding isn't any fun. There's just nowhere to go. I find myself running around and around on the map looking for things or sitting in one spot and using the Enemy Whistle over and over until day turns to night, because that seems to break the whistle and it won't work the following day, anywhere.

It just makes no damn sense that in an open world game with combat such as this, there's just nowhere to go at the end to run around and fight monsters constantly for fun. The most you get is the small area with the Pitioss Ruins that has a few enemies.

There is so much wasted nothing space on the world map that could have been Regalia Type F areas only populated with tons of high level enemies for post game combat.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Caught this on my Twitter feed:

FFIV being played through a machine translation:

https://youtu.be/m92TtznsIis

Had to shut it off after a few minutes as I was already risking laughing too hard at work.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Perhaps tomorrow

Make sure you're buffed with the mother child rice bowl. Has a 50% increase for drop rate

• Options
    Found a really good place to use the Warp Strike/Enemy Summon method for AP Farming. In Liede, at the Three Valleys area, the southwestern mountainous area has a place with two rocks and a big set of bones where you can summon dog creatures in sets of 2, 3, and 4.

What makes this spot so good is that they are all clumped up really tight when you summon them, and you can stand right in the middle of where they appear and use the Shield of the Just to Warp Strike AoE all of them at once.

If you hit them as soon as they appear you can kill them all before you actually enter combat, allowing you to summon another batch as soon as you hit and kill the first over and over very quickly.

The nearby rocks work as warp points so when you run out of MP just actually enter combat with them and warp to one to recover your MP and then keep going.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    Found a really good place to use the Warp Strike/Enemy Summon method for AP Farming. In Liede, at the Three Valleys area, the southwestern mountainous area has a place with two rocks and a big set of bones where you can summon dog creatures in sets of 2, 3, and 4.

What makes this spot so good is that they are all clumped up really tight when you summon them, and you can stand right in the middle of where they appear and use the Shield of the Just to Warp Strike AoE all of them at once.

If you hit them as soon as they appear you can kill them all before you actually enter combat, allowing you to summon another batch as soon as you hit and kill the first over and over very quickly.

The nearby rocks work as warp points so when you run out of MP just actually enter combat with them and warp to one to recover your MP and then keep going.

Ah shit I assumed when you were talking about grinding you already knew the spots. I woulda told ya otherwise.

This spot I think is a better one that people found. Overall AP better plus more money and xp as a little bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00r0P8NiQbQ

• Options
    I tried that one. I just want AP at the moment so the place in Liede is much better. You can kill all the enemies with 1 Warp Strike before entering combat, and summon more immediately. So its 2, 3, or 4 Ap instantly then immediate summon, repeat.

• Options
    Ah yea. The reports are that this one is actually more maximum AP per hour but if the other is working for you than stick with that!

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I just started chapter 3, but the rate of appearance for the magitek engines is honestly a little frustrating. I had one showing up during pretty much any random encounter I had while exploring. It was getting a little ridiculous.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    I just started chapter 3, but the rate of appearance for the magitek engines is honestly a little frustrating. I had one showing up during pretty much any random encounter I had while exploring. It was getting a little ridiculous.

Generally when I hear "ship above!" I just keep running and by the time the troops are out of the ship I'm already out of range of the encounter. I'm at 45 hours played and lots of exploration(just finished chapter 5) and have had barely any battles with them.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »

I had their appearance rate slow down drastically as soon as I did the first part of the story quest in Lestallum

• Options
    Do yourself a favor

Go buy 99 Sheeps Milk

Craft a spell with 99 Lightning Energy and 99 Sheeps Milk, it'll have something like 200 power, and something like 20 uses or something

Whenever an imperial ship drops a squad of magitek, target a unit near the center and toss the Lightning spell and instantly kill all of them

No fuss, no muss

This discussion has been closed.