As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    your keyboard vs my knife

at dawn good sir

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'd probably take the Model M.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Boris-Snatch-Heavy-Is-Good.jpeg

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    you don't need PS2 to get a model M

they still make 'em brand new, USB and everything

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'd probably take the install guide.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »

Boris-Snatch-Heavy-Is-Good.jpeg

That and it's big enough you can also use it as a shield.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    that is an ugly fucking keyboard I'm sorry

I'll be over here getting ladies with my pimp ass corsair keyboard while you guys chill out in the 60s

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    you don't need PS2 to get a model M

they still make 'em brand new, USB and everything

I think they're slightly modified from the original design? The ones in the mid 80's had a lot heavier noise from the spring buckling and that was muted in the designs from the 90s on.

It's like god damn music

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

I'll be over here getting ladies with my pimp ass corsair keyboard while you guys chill out in the 60s

IDGAF what my keyboard looks like. I don't look at it.

• Options
    I do

because the ladies love my rainbows

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This whole conversation just reminded me that you can keep your small time weapons.

Give me a pack of 5.25 floppies and I will wreck you.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

hey my home keyboard is a k70 rgb lux

but there's something about a big beige brick

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    LD50 wrote: »

This is one of the most troubling adapters at Adapter Hut.

We were so preoccupied with whether or not we could, we didn't stop to think if we should.
    With the help of the Adaptaplug series, you can plug your AC or DC powered electronics (wireless phone, mp3 player, etc.) directly into a standard socket.

But why in the fuck would you ever want to‽

Cog on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Another Yahoo hack, separate from the one revealed a couple months back. This one happened in 2013. It affects one billion users.

Actually can't even.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/14/13960120/yahoo-billion-user-breach-hashed-password-hacked

wunderbar on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

This is one of the most troubling adapters at Adapter Hut.

We were so preoccupied with whether or not we could, we didn't stop to think if we should.
    With the help of the Adaptaplug series, you can plug your AC or DC powered electronics (wireless phone, mp3 player, etc.) directly into a standard socket.

But why in the fuck would you ever want to‽

Yeah, at first I was going to do some fuckery with apple lightning -> 3.5 mm for the new iphones, but actually finding anything that works with lightning is a pain because the new iphones are shit and I'm 100% certain that the adapter wouldn't actually do anything whereas this is actually delivering amps right to your ears! I was kinda hoping for actual mains voltage, but alas

The most worrying thing about this is how unsafe live 3.5 mm would be. Not only is there no sane application for this, but are you trying to make an electrified pacifier?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, in the goodole US of A we call that plug a 3.5 mm plug. In Canada they call it an 1/8th inch plug. What?

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Studying for a CASP exam because why not. Material keeps harping on timeliness and fast reaction to breaches and what not. And then I read a story about Yahoo sitting around for three years before they realized they got shit stole and I'm like 'wut'.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Another Yahoo hack, separate from the one revealed a couple months back. This one happened in 2013. It affects one billion users.

Actually can't even.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/14/13960120/yahoo-billion-user-breach-hashed-password-hacked

I for one refuse to believe Yahoo has ever had a billion users.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    We have a nonprofit client that ordered a dozen USB signature pads for adding signatures to PDFs. We'd first ordered one as a test, since they're non-returnable. Our POC tested it successfully on their TS.

I was roped in last minute since someone was out sick, and deployed the following order to the rest of the users. We then learned that our POC was a local admin on their TS, and it doesn't seem to work for anyone without admin rights.

Cue working with the developer for months until they finally admit defeat. CDW says they will take a return, minus a 30% fee.

Fuuuuuck.

• Options
    couldn't they just like

write a better driver

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    couldn't they just like

write a better driver

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    I'm actually not entirely sure what the problem would even be? UMDF/KMDF shouldn't impact the usability of the driver for the user after it's been installed. So it's not even a usermode driver issue I don't think.

It's like they hardcoded some system values in or some stupid bullshit. You should ask them for the code to see if they'd give it to you.

• Options
    Used CISCO stuff arrives at home tonight.

Super excited.

• Options
    Running a phishing test this morning. Will be interesting to see the results.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

I like that one. I'd really like one with a USB and audio pass-through though.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    We have a nonprofit client that ordered a dozen USB signature pads for adding signatures to PDFs. We'd first ordered one as a test, since they're non-returnable. Our POC tested it successfully on their TS.

I was roped in last minute since someone was out sick, and deployed the following order to the rest of the users. We then learned that our POC was a local admin on their TS, and it doesn't seem to work for anyone without admin rights.

Cue working with the developer for months until they finally admit defeat. CDW says they will take a return, minus a 30% fee.

Fuuuuuck.

I support a bunch of sig pads on Citrix. Haven't needed admin rights to make it work. What brand did you get?

• Options

23% failure rate. Industry average is apparently around 17%. We're above average! That's good, right?

Time to get some education documentation started........

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

23% failure rate. Industry average is apparently around 17%. We're above average! That's good, right?

If you fail ours, you immediately get assigned remedial training. It's pretty hilarious, as it's automated and some senior managers have been the ones bagged...

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    What exactly does the recording say?

...to make sure that I don't fall for it.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    We had an incident this year where a client used our company in a phishing attempt, not quite to the effect they desired. Someone over there sent out an email to the effect of "Hey, this <Delzhand's Employer>, we're implementing a new employee intranet, please log on at <phishing-domain> using the same credentials as you use to log into the regular website."

They made an actual clone of the login page for the website we built, very convincing, CSS, images, everything for the phishing domain. But an employee sent us a support request directly to us asking about it within 10 minutes, and our response was to send a bulk email to their employees, I think 20-30 people, telling them they were being phished in a highly targeted manner and to not to even click the link in the email.

Sorry, phishing test IT guy. Maybe if you're going to pull a vendor into your tests by name notify them first?

• Options
    I just spent an hour getting transferred around inside Verzion (6 times) just so I could order three new replacement phones without upgrading the contract as well.

"No, really. I just want to buy the phones retail. . .No really. Yes, I am sure. . ."

all because some pre-Madonna didn't like the phone we gave her.

I am starting to hate Cell Phones more than Fax Machines.

• Options
    gc1g3f1l884w.jpg

This has been your daily reminder that fuck printers

• Options
    Print "Quality"

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

If you fail ours, you immediately get assigned remedial training. It's pretty hilarious, as it's automated and some senior managers have been the ones bagged...

I guess this is our first attempt at it, so this time it is a warning, and not even singling anyone out. We plan to run this again in maybe 6 months or so and at that time training will be mandatory.

• Options
    That's the kind of shit that happens when you use recycled toner companies.

• Options
    That's the kind of shit that happens when you use recycled toner companies.

That printer is on Lexmark Managed Services. First party parts.

:+1:

• Options
    gc1g3f1l884w.jpg

This has been your daily reminder that fuck printers

I don't see any problem here. It is a pritner. It printed the desired text.

ticket closed

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Fuser or transfer roller are probably failing in that thing.
    Fuck Lexmark

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    It's the fuser, replacement is coming, but still.

This discussion has been closed.