As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prince of Persia Wii version worth a buy/rent?

SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Anyone here play it? How are the controls, is it fun?

My background is I played Sands of Time on my computer, loved it to death and finished it. Even the combat didn't bore me too much.

I tried the second ones demo on the pc and HATED the combat so much I quit the game three times before even finishing the stuff on the boat. I would come back thinking it could not have been as bad as I remembered but there it was, every time, just as frustrating and annoying as the last time.

I even rented the game when it came out, I think it was the xbox version. And hated that just as much as the PC version. My biggest gripe on the full game after getting past the HORRIBLE intro was that there was just a very slight timing difference between running up somebody, jumping around behind them, and slashing them dead, and running up sombody and jumping WAAAAAY away from them in the opposite direction you are facing and falling to your death. It was awhile ago, so I don't remember the details, just a lot of swearing.

Never played any version of the third game.

Is the wii version fun? Any nifty use of the controller? Does the combat suck as horribly as the second one?

Smudge on

• Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Two Thrones was a definate step up from Generic Rage. Personally, the Wii version gets a massive thumbs down for the censoring alone.

So...rent.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Censoring? In what way - violence or language?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They bascially cut out all blood/gore, and I think during the speed kills especially, no beheadings or sand people cut in half anymore. Just to get the rating down from M to T. Which, is okay I guess, but was it really necessary? lol kidtendo?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bleh. Oh well, I prefer the platform elements to the combat - how are the controls?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Because I'm a lazy motherfucker and this sums up my feelings pretty well:
    It's the context-sensitive maneuvers that work best. When you are running along a wall and have to stab your knife into a hole in that wall to hold on and prevent yourself from falling, it simply feels great to swing the Wii Remote forward. (Think rock climbing, except without any of the effort required...and a knife.)

Combat is where the controls falter somewhat. You perform moves and combos by swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, and there's actually a pretty in-depth set of moves you can pull off if you learn all the different combinations. Unfortunately, the differences between many of these moves are subtle and, unless you spend a long time examining the exact feeling of each, you're going to have trouble pulling off the specific moves you want consistently. Also, because of the lack of meaty collision detection in the game, the moves don't always have a lot of kick to them. Really, 90 percent of the time you'll be just as successful randomly flailing your wrists as you will trying to pull off the right move at the right time.

The common theme here is it's the better buy to just get the uncensored, cheaper, GameCube version if you want to play the game. It's just another crappy Ubisoft port with tacked on waggle.

EDIT: For clarity's sake, I do believe the platforming controls work well. The combat just cuts too deep for me to even consider it a buy, let alone beat the game again.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I took back the PSP version because after playing for an hour I noticed that all the blood was a tan yellowish color, then I realized that the slow mo neck slice finisher didn't behead a guy, I looked at the box and saw that big T symbol and just went oh HELL NO! I'm a freaking goreaholic, NOBODY takes out my gore and gets away with it. I'll just pick up the xbox version when it's 360 compatible, unless you guys tell me the PS2 or GC version is better for some reason or another.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    GC version runs great, but I've not played the xbox version to compare (should run better than emulated BC version)

LewieP on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, most of the enemies you encounter only spill sand during the majority of the game in even the M rated versions.

DarkPrimus on