As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THE THREAD OF SHRED [GUITAR]

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    Okay rocksmith told me that I'm good at pinch harmonics but I checked the lesson and I don't quite get what a pinch harmonic is. If anyone has a youtube tutorial or something that explains it better that'd be super appreciated

I can talk about it better than I can do it, so I will give a (partially-misinformed) attempt.

So, you know natural harmonics? Where you touch (but not fully press!) the string at say, the 12th fret, and hit the string and it makes a high ringing tone? It's an interesting technique. Basically any time you pick a string there's a vibration from the bridge to the fret, but there are other quieter tones ringing out at specific mathematical lengths. For example, while the whole string is vibrating, a higher octave tone is also ringing out from the fret or nut to the halfway point (12th fret for an open string), and again from the halfway point to the bridge. The reason natural harmonics work, is that when you lightly touch a vibrating open string at the 12th fret, it mutes that vibration you normally hear that goes the whole length of the string, but doesn't stop the vibration from the 12th fret to the bridge, so it stands out. There are some at other points as well, like the 5th and 7th frets.

Now, pinch harmonics are basically the same thing. The difference is, while your left hand it fretting a note, it cannot also reach over and mute at the harmonic point. So instead you can do a pinch harmonic, which uses the right hand to artificially shorten the length of the string while picking. You do this by barely letting your thumb touch the string while you pick, to mute some tones and let others ring out. It only works at specific points, so when new you kind of have to move around and try things. It's a difficult thing to describe, but the trick is generally to really shorten up on the pick so only a tiny amount sticks out past your thumb. Then you pluck the string with a motion that lets the thumb brush it on the way out. If you do it right, you'll get a high pitch squeal like wot those 80's guitarists love. It's far easier to do with distortion cranked up.

There are a lot of videos out there that try to show how to do it, but generally you just need to try it yourself until it clicks.

Feel free to chip in and correct me, anyone. I hope this helps!

Haha, okay that explains everything actually.

You see, I normally play with my strumming pinky hooked around the first humbucker to keep a sense of which strings I'm picking. When I palm mute, sometimes I forget and move my hand back to that position and with just learning how to palm mute now I palm mute EVERYTHING but my hand is far enough forward that sometimes I touch that harmonic node

As an aside, harmonics are such math nerd bullshit that I absolutely love them.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm singing a song through a megaphone this Sunday

Turns out it makes my voice sound actually kinda cool!

Too bad it's not something I can do on every song, because it's kinda gimmicky

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    My goodness, Rocksmith drives me fucking crazy. It is having such a goddamn hard time detecting notes, no matter what I do. It's basically unplayable. To top it off, every time I close the fucking thing, it blacks out my screen and I can't do anything without rebooting.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    My goodness, Rocksmith drives me fucking crazy. It is having such a goddamn hard time detecting notes, no matter what I do. It's basically unplayable. To top it off, every time I close the fucking thing, it blacks out my screen and I can't do anything without rebooting.
    The black screen on exit has plagued me since the remastered patch. The best way around it that I have found is to alt-tab out when I'm done and then right click the rocksmith icon in the task bar and select close.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Are you tuned to drop D or something? Getting your djent on?

• Options
    VegemyteVegemyte Registered User regular
    So I plugged my guitar into my ring mod, and then into a bunch of pedals and into my ring mod again! Good for noise rock and industrial (please excuse my pantsless legs but it's about 38C in that room).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81FTPcQwvh8&feature=youtu.be

Have also tried the MS-20 into the Carrier In - works very well for single notes, but I need a second person to play the keyboard at the same time.

Have not tried the Miku I just got yet, though...

• Options
    edited February 2017

Are you tuned to drop D or something? Getting your djent on?

I wonder if I can tune your sense of humor half a step up?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    yay free guitar

mt7safuyaflo.jpg

also, I searched for "djent" to find this thread

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I knew he was good for something

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Damn nice guitar to get for free.

• Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Damn nice guitar to get for free.

Yeah, my younger brother is awesome. I offered to pay for it, but he said he'd rather know it was going to a good home and keep it in the family.

On a side note, after playing an electric without an amp (outside of Rocksmith) for so long I completely forgot how much volume acoustics had. Hopefully I won't annoy my neighbors too much.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I've reached master mode on my first song section finally. It was my generation and not blitzkrieg bop, like I thought

• Options
    My first master mode song in RS ended up being Breaking the Law because my daughter makes me play it all the time because she really likes it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mine was Next Girl by the Black Keys because there's like two notes.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mine was Jessie's Girl as I played it way to much because it was in Rocksmith
    In Rocksmith 2014 it was Walk don't run as Surf rock is a smooth way to have some fun and learn

• Options
    sorry neighbors

aabgyilacn52.jpg

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Best sound ever

• Options
    So far the hardest guitar technique to learn has been plugging in the amp cable without looking

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    But then you get that cool buzzing noise

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I end up plugging into the headphone jack by mistake if I do that.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I have too many cables because I wasn't sure if you meant the instrument cable from the guitar to the amp (or in my case a Decimator II pedal which then feeds into the amp), the speaker cable from the amp head to the speaker cabinet, the FX send/receive cables on both the amp and the FX unit, or the footswitch cable.

And then there's doing all of that in the dark at shows because the sound guy, who for some reason is also the light guy, won't turn the full lights on between bands. Flashlights to the rescue.

• Options
    Wow I really hate smoke on the water after playing it twice

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular

You now have a fraction of the understanding that is the despair of workers at Guitar Center.

Dun dun dun.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    BillyIdle wrote: »

You now have a fraction of the understanding that is the despair of workers at Guitar Center.

Dun dun dun.

Not just they easy, catchy riff, but the phoned in slow strumming one chord and sorta move your hand down for flavor a couple times during the verses
    and that lazy ass guitar solo

It's like, wow, you were just not trying that day were you

• Options
    I test guitars with Jessie's girl as I got curious looks every time I did it

• Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular

Dun dun dun.

Dun dun dun-dun

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I test guitars with Jessie's girl as I got curious looks every time I did it

At least you have the decency to play something that isn't one of the guitar cliches.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Smoke on the water is a piece of shit

• Options
    They had/have a 36 fret guitar I really want to try out at Guitar Center but it's always being used by people attempting to play metal with it
    One of them gave me a lot of crap for playing random parts of Jessie's girl on various guitars and was annoyed by my reply of at least I know other songs to play

• Options
    Ain't nothing wrong with Smoke on the Water beyond its simplicity and subsequent ubiquity.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    When I've been to guitar center I usually am too nervous to try more than strumming a chord a couple times. Usually G, my favorite chord.

Because I am bad at guitar and probably shouldn't even own the two I got.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options

Dun dun dun.

I always thought the worst department to work there would be the drum section.

Like, that's where they sent you if you screwed up.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Play what you play and ignore other people when you're in a guitar store. I play mostly metal and the number of times I've gotten flack in a guitar store from other people is near immeasurable. Look, if I'm thinking about picking this guitar up, it needs to do what I want to do with it, so yes you do get to listen to me tremolo pick for 6 minutes straight. Folks can play their 3 chord punk songs, the jazz guy can play all the notes, the showoff guy can solo forever, the teenagers can play Smoke on The Water and Iron Man, the country guy can play the same 3 chords the punk guy is playing just slower and the full chord instead of power chords, and I'm going to play black metal. We have to share the public guitar store space. Here, in these carpeted walls we should be nice to each other. Because at least none of us are having a drum circle like those weird "percussionists" in the drum room.

• Options
    I usually test out guitars with the opening chords/riff from Ziggy Stardust, because it's all I can remember how to play.

Unless people have gotten really into hearing I Will Follow You Into The Dark lately.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've been trying to learn the ukulele. I don't know if that qualifies as shred/guitar. My go-to song to test one out has been Moon Over Parma - the original theme to the Drew Carey show.

I'm not great yet, my fingers just don't stretch the right ways sometimes, but yet I keep staring at those banjo ukulele hybrid things and drooling.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I love the sound of banjo personally.

I think I should stick with my guitars though. If I ever had the attention span to learn.

• Options
    I never ended up buying a harmonica or a ukulele just because there are so many different kinds, I wouldn't know where to start.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'd like to tell you I'm some expert, but I got my first ukulele Christmas 2015 at my department's party for having an ugly sweater. It's this one... https://www.amazon.com/Kala-MK-SWT-Waterman-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B00TUMK9FK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1492448002&sr=8-4&keywords=transparent+blue+ukulele

I then decided late last year to find a tenor and after trying one at Guitar Center I decided for a hobby it wasn't worth paying their price and to order a cheap one from some vendor in China. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VXL0KS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With that said, I love my cheap import tenor and the reviews paint it favorably against most budget offerings I would have found.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I finally decided I should spend time playing guitar cause I like it and music is fun? Rocksmith added my favourite song ever so I guess I've got a life goal

https://youtu.be/19UZd_DKs2Q

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png