As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Would I [chat] to You?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    It's great being slightly ahead on bills but okay $340 bill for my car's fuckin brakes after taxes

I've been averaging $400+ a month in goddamn car shit since I started this job

my credit's not good enough to buy anything except at one of those shady cash only scam places even though I'm spending more than a car payment in goddamned repairs each month
    ...My dad bought a new car with a fresh bankruptcy. You might want to give it a go. Now they put a thingy in his car which would keep the car from turning on if he was more than 30 days late, but he got it, and his payment was like 320 bucks a month.

I went to a dealership in Kenosha and they told me they couldn't help me and asked me to leave, so I tried a dealership with overpriced used cars and the guy was like sorry bud nothing I can do

They asked you to leave?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Also thank you everyone for your advice. I love you all for your real world help sometimes because it is like ?????

Can synthesize synthetic viral RNA and use it to asses levels of virus in mosquito saliva

Has no idea how to buy and sell a car he is currently financing
    Got in argument with husbear last night. I thought a double bed was two beds. He was like "you do science and you broke your brain it is okay i still love you"

Oh my god I've had this exact argument before omg

;-; is

is it all scientists

absent-minded professor/booksmart-but-not-streetsmart
    "for someone so smart; you're really dumb"
    standard types

Querry is constantly astonished that I'm so smart but so dumb

aersien is no longer remotely astonished at how dumb I am ;_;

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I keep occasionally looking up methanol wrt home winemaking because I'm still a little paranoid, but I just did the calculations

If we are ridiculous and pretend that whatever I brew has 10% methanol (it would... likely be on the order of 1% or less) then the "maximum safe amount" of wine I can drink a day is still over a liter

....wow, ok then, I didn't realize how high the toxic dose of methanol is.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I keep occasionally looking up methanol wrt home winemaking because I'm still a little paranoid, but I just did the calculations

If we are ridiculous and pretend that whatever I brew has 10% methanol (it would... likely be on the order of 1% or less) then the "maximum safe amount" of wine I can drink a day is still over a liter

I.... I don't want to drink your hooch Shiv.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i hope my rimworld colony makes it through the winter. a cold snap in the fall wiped out much of my craps. i've got a fair number of domesticated animals i can butcher if necessary i guess (no dogs!).

if you have a freezer better do it sooner than later. Animals can eat a lot.

yeah, one of my dumb colonists keeps feeding them simple meals. oh well, say goodbye, unnecessary roosters and maybe a deer. There was a large herd of deer and some gazelles nearby but i think they took off when it started snowing.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Also thank you everyone for your advice. I love you all for your real world help sometimes because it is like ?????

Can synthesize synthetic viral RNA and use it to asses levels of virus in mosquito saliva

Has no idea how to buy and sell a car he is currently financing
    Got in argument with husbear last night. I thought a double bed was two beds. He was like "you do science and you broke your brain it is okay i still love you"

Oh my god I've had this exact argument before omg

;-; is

is it all scientists

absent-minded professor/booksmart-but-not-streetsmart
    "for someone so smart; you're really dumb"
    standard types

my mind isn't quite absent enough

it's why my tweed jacket doesn't have leather elbows, i haven't earned them

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I will be filing my taxes the day of when I get my W2, plz and ty.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    hey btw it's my birthday this weekend and I'm going to a barcade

if any of y'all are in the western mass/boston area etc and want to come by and ply me with alcohol & play videogames on my 21st (which is this friday) you're welcome to come by

I wish I could go but also how fucked is it that I'm preparing for a march on that day

I'm glad you're gonna march!!

I'm covering my boss on Sunday so she can go (she's not gonna get back til like 1am sunday so doesn't want to work)

But will she continue to treat the women she employs like slave labor?

This is one of those things where I am like yes good job you protested a thing but how about actually handling your business so the people in more precarious situations can live.

How about spending the protest day doing your year-end taxes so your people can file.

How about paying them on time.

I agree that Bleric's boss is suboptimal and perhaps a hypocrite, but I do not agree with the general sentiment that it's appropriate to respond to people doing their part in one department by immediately criticizing what they're failing to do in another, especially with regards to political activism.

I'm perhaps failing to articulate precisely what I mean, but it's a thing and I hope you recognize the phenomena to which I am referring.

In some cases it's an intentional tactic of misdirecrion but when you are e.g. literally screwing over your employees in the same way as the person you are protesting, it's proper to suggest they remove the beam from their eye before pointing at the speck someone else's.

Also, I don't agree that she is doing her part for women. Her part would be more properly served by not leaving her employees, all women, in the lurch financially and then expecting them to work on their birthday weekend so she can take a political vacation to DC and then get some sleep the next morning.

There is every chance BC will be fucked out of the pay she deserves. She is funding this woman's excursion in a very real sense, and I disagree strongly that the reason for her political jaunt should absolve her or shield her from criticism, including criticism that runs along of the lines of "maybe don't take a fucking vacation to protest shit that will mainly impact the employees you are fucking over to go protest."

Dude, it is not a vacation.

it absolutely is

Then it's the shittiest vacation anyone could choose to take

well, sure. But it's something where your boss could say "no, you have to work" to. It's just plain ol' time off, so then I think it's entirely valid to go "how about you don't take time off but instead do your boss duties like, say, paying your employees"

The boss duty of paying employees does not have to be related to the boss duty of being on the premises at all times when business is open. Paying employees can happen remotely. It sounds like the lack-of-payment issue is the boss' own problem (moral, legal, etc) and is not related to deciding to attend a political rally. And the usage of "vacation" above clearly characterized the decision as "time off to faff" when it's not exactly faffing to go on a lengthy trip 400 miles away and back in 24 hrs

faff can be easily defined as everything you don't have to do, so, yeah, time off to faff, without disparaging either political activity nor faffing about

I disagree strenuously with an employer-perspective definition of "vacation" to mean "any moment of human life not spent in employment"

faff is a nonsense word clearly meaning "a worthless, unproductive wretch, slothful and indolent"

batsignalling internet linguist p10 for confirmation

I define "vacation" here as "all time taken off work that your boss could have said no to". Which is a pretty valid definition because what you do with it, when it's not like, funerals, dentist appointments, etc, doesn't matter one iota

Not any time you're not spending at work. Any time you're not working when you otherwise would be, obvs.

I mean is your problem that you think going to this protest is a nobler reason to get off work and should be considered different because of that or what

Thanks for telling me my problem, I never said the protest was especially noble and therefore an exception to the rule, just that it's not a vacation

If she's the owner of the business then she gets to decide what to do with the business. It may be a bad and shitty idea to leave her employees in the lurch but I don't see any arguments that she's not allowed to. As much as I disdain the WAGE SYSTEM AND ITS SLAVISH RESTRICTIONS ON INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM the tradeoff of being a business owner (admittedly harder than being an employee!) is freedom to choose your schedule.

Furthermore "Any time you're not working when you otherwise would be" is a needlessly expansive definition of vacation. Sickness? Mental health day? Have to go deal with a family emergency? Band you like is in town? Wow, I've taken way more vacations than I thought, throwing up over a toilet. The "that your boss could have said no to" is also a highly subjective definition that necessarily changes in every employment situation. It's also moot because she's the boss.

I hate having to argue on behalf of shitty employers but the business owner taking a day off and delegating to her employees does not constitute a solid jumping off point to rail about her crappy employment practices unless the expectation is that she also won't pay them for the work they're obligated to pick up. Otherwise, we have to take seriously every penny-pinching employers' ranting about the MASSIVE WASTE OF MONEY sick employees cost them, or allow them to define family emergencies and doctors appointments as lackadaisical vacations costing the business MONEY MONEY MONEY

When I say could have said no to I mean, would be able to say no to, not counting sickness, mental health, family emergencies, as I fucking said.

which is why I addressed "anything your boss could say no to" which was your qualifier but is inadequate

In the US your boss can totally tell you you can't go to a funeral or a dentist appt if it's not explicitly stated as a valid reason for time off in an employment contract

okay I amend my statement to "could say no to, or, in the capitalist wastelands, merely shouldn't"

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I.... I don't want to drink your hooch Shiv.

Listen

If it doesn't double as a murder weapon, then: why?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I feel like you would have to do some shit really wrong to get 10% methanol.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    hey btw it's my birthday this weekend and I'm going to a barcade

if any of y'all are in the western mass/boston area etc and want to come by and ply me with alcohol & play videogames on my 21st (which is this friday) you're welcome to come by

I wish I could go but also how fucked is it that I'm preparing for a march on that day

I'm glad you're gonna march!!

I'm covering my boss on Sunday so she can go (she's not gonna get back til like 1am sunday so doesn't want to work)

But will she continue to treat the women she employs like slave labor?

This is one of those things where I am like yes good job you protested a thing but how about actually handling your business so the people in more precarious situations can live.

How about spending the protest day doing your year-end taxes so your people can file.

How about paying them on time.

I agree that Bleric's boss is suboptimal and perhaps a hypocrite, but I do not agree with the general sentiment that it's appropriate to respond to people doing their part in one department by immediately criticizing what they're failing to do in another, especially with regards to political activism.

I'm perhaps failing to articulate precisely what I mean, but it's a thing and I hope you recognize the phenomena to which I am referring.

In some cases it's an intentional tactic of misdirecrion but when you are e.g. literally screwing over your employees in the same way as the person you are protesting, it's proper to suggest they remove the beam from their eye before pointing at the speck someone else's.

Also, I don't agree that she is doing her part for women. Her part would be more properly served by not leaving her employees, all women, in the lurch financially and then expecting them to work on their birthday weekend so she can take a political vacation to DC and then get some sleep the next morning.

There is every chance BC will be fucked out of the pay she deserves. She is funding this woman's excursion in a very real sense, and I disagree strongly that the reason for her political jaunt should absolve her or shield her from criticism, including criticism that runs along of the lines of "maybe don't take a fucking vacation to protest shit that will mainly impact the employees you are fucking over to go protest."

Dude, it is not a vacation.

it absolutely is

Then it's the shittiest vacation anyone could choose to take

well, sure. But it's something where your boss could say "no, you have to work" to. It's just plain ol' time off, so then I think it's entirely valid to go "how about you don't take time off but instead do your boss duties like, say, paying your employees"

The boss duty of paying employees does not have to be related to the boss duty of being on the premises at all times when business is open. Paying employees can happen remotely. It sounds like the lack-of-payment issue is the boss' own problem (moral, legal, etc) and is not related to deciding to attend a political rally. And the usage of "vacation" above clearly characterized the decision as "time off to faff" when it's not exactly faffing to go on a lengthy trip 400 miles away and back in 24 hrs

faff can be easily defined as everything you don't have to do, so, yeah, time off to faff, without disparaging either political activity nor faffing about

I disagree strenuously with an employer-perspective definition of "vacation" to mean "any moment of human life not spent in employment"

faff is a nonsense word clearly meaning "a worthless, unproductive wretch, slothful and indolent"

batsignalling internet linguist p10 for confirmation
    isn't faff a britishism
    aren't i a crypto-anglophile

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hey guys

don't have to fill out any forms for tax here unless u want to

just sign a thing online once a year takes 2 minutes

p sweet

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i want to go home and get back to my rimworld colony

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Aw man I missed far away rpg over internet discussion

I'm full on voice and video

of course i totally see people not being down with it. different strokes for different folks

i want as much like being there in person as possible

I'm still interested in what is to be said about it.
    Also husband is GMing, not me, but I will pass along useful insights.
    Do you use skype or google hangouts or discord or what?
    Traditionally, I've used Maptools (I have a pretty intricate Shadowrun framework file that I use to automate my end of things) and Ventrilo. Lately (as in, the past year), we've been using Roll20 (with built-in video/voice) for non-Shadowrun games with Discord as a backup voice system when Roll20's voice tweaks out. Everyone in our group is familiar with Discord now, since we use it for gaming.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    It's great being slightly ahead on bills but okay $340 bill for my car's fuckin brakes after taxes

I've been averaging $400+ a month in goddamn car shit since I started this job

my credit's not good enough to buy anything except at one of those shady cash only scam places even though I'm spending more than a car payment in goddamned repairs each month
    ...My dad bought a new car with a fresh bankruptcy. You might want to give it a go. Now they put a thingy in his car which would keep the car from turning on if he was more than 30 days late, but he got it, and his payment was like 320 bucks a month.

I went to a dealership in Kenosha and they told me they couldn't help me and asked me to leave, so I tried a dealership with overpriced used cars and the guy was like sorry bud nothing I can do

They asked you to leave?

yes they asked me to leave

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Hey guys

p sweet

We have a whole big industry built around our dumb tax code

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Hmm this information is wildly inconsistent

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I will be filing my taxes the day of when I get my W2, plz and ty.

Last year I had my return direct deposited by the 29th

c'monnnnn, payroll company

I want that number to go up so I can sit here and look at it without doing anything with it

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I feel like you would have to do some shit really wrong to get 10% methanol.

Right, I was just doing calculations to get a feel for orders of magnitude

Now I'm doubtful of all these sources though

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hey guys

p sweet

vo30kfy4rmma.gif

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hey guys

p sweet

vo30kfy4rmma.gif

I'd be crying too. I bet that tattoo hurt like a summbitch.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I also want my w-2s

i get free money from the government every year for being totally destitute

i want my free money

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I dm friday. I play tonight.

• Options
    I can't remember what tv shows I watch and when their new seasons premiere.

Apparently The Americans is two months off, that's some bullshit. Is there nothing running atm or what.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    kedinik wrote: »
    Hey guys

p sweet

We have a whole big industry built around our dumb tax code

Yes, it's called the "alcohol industry"

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I find that the most important thing as a GM in an online game is time management. Set time limits on your setpieces, like a sort of internal sand-timer that limits how long you intend to stay within a particular scene. Part of what loses the engagement is staying too long with a setpiece, because even the most inclusive setpiece will leave at least one player hanging. When planning an adventure, I'd construct each setpiece as an individual "node" and re-arrange the order of the setpieces so that you can rotate the spotlight on different players. Often, especially in Shadowrun, the temporal order of the events do not matter much... when you case the corporate office, it doesn't matter that you do it before/after the scene where you are shaking down some punks in a bar.

One of the things that I did to immediately engage the combat-oriented players is start the session with a combat. Typically, it's in the format of "Previously On..." and popped them in-media-res in a combat action scene from a previous off-screen run. This was important in our Shadowrun games, because a lot of players gear their character toward combat, but often the goal of the Shadowrun is to avoid combat altogether, leaving those players sidelined when I get to the actual run. It also let me create some creative combat setpieces, even silly ones, because we are "referencing" an earlier "episode" of the show. This turned out to be a fantastic idea that was adopted by the other GMs in the group (we have rotating GMs every week).

It also often helps set up the initial "meet" which is commonly the beginning of a Shadowrun session. You can immediately create some big players in the run and set the tone (maybe the guards they were fighting in the hit squad were from the Yakuza and Oh Look, Mr. Johnson wants you to do a run against the Yaks...).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Question for my online wingmen.

So like. If you message someone on OKC and they don't get back to you the first time. Is this a Persistence is Futile situation? Like is it considered bad form to give it another shot a few days later?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    cptrugged wrote: »

So like. If you message someone on OKC and they don't get back to you the first time. Is this a Persistence is Futile situation? Like is it considered bad form to give it another shot a few days later?

lots of people stop at one message. some people say a second is ok. most, i think, agree that more than two is bad.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm supposed to get my W-2s on Friday, 1/20.

IRS is supposed to start accepting returns on 1/23.

If they accept by 1/26, your money should be DD'd on 2/3.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

Apparently The Americans is two months off, that's some bullshit. Is there nothing running atm or what.

This is one of the reasons I now only watch 1-2 shows at a time, like 1 episode a night, on Netflix or Hulu or whatever.

I just wait for them to pop up and I'm all "oh hey, something to do when I'm not reading!"

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

If no response, consider it a dead end.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Also damn the tax service commercials/ads on TV and youtube is like an avalanche this year.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Huh, 60% of students from my undergrad are married before age 30

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

I'd give them a little while to respond, sometimes people are busy or are just inundated by messages. Best approach is to not dwell too much on when or if someone is responding to you, you'll lose your mind checking for responses

IF they don't respond, maybe try again in a couple weeks, but don't address that you already messaged them, just come up with a simple sentence or two and let it be

the OKC game really acquires a shot gun approach sometimes

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    OMG I would love to try Shadowrun. But our group / GMs have never faired with non fantasy settings. (Well other than one successful Dresden game)

• Options

This is one of the reasons I now only watch 1-2 shows at a time, like 1 episode a night, on Netflix or Hulu or whatever.

I just wait for them to pop up and I'm all "oh hey, something to do when I'm not reading!"

I have like tens of tv shows I follow atm, it's very confusing.

• Options
    Huh, 60% of students from my undergrad are married before age 30

100% of amateurhours were married before age 30

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

lots of people stop at one message. some people say a second is ok. most, i think, agree that more than two is bad.

Important caveat: A third message is fine as long as it is a photograph of you completely nude, unsmiling, flaccid, in a sterile, almost clinical environment

We call that a Hail Mary

This discussion has been closed.