As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    It seems pretty clear to me it is because he started the kneeling.

I have a picture sitting in my Google photos account of both "First Couples" during the inauguration, and one of those 4 individuals did not have their hand over their heart or was saluting (it's not who you would think, at first). I'm not going to go further than that in this context, but FFS this is ridiculously stupid.

Football is not the only sport with this kind of atmosphere. Baseball also has some "traditions" that even the players forcibly keep at times. It is owned by billionaire white guys in the end though. And as I remember it there was pretty big backlash about the other thing you mentioned heh.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It seems pretty clear to me it is because he started the kneeling.

I have a picture sitting in my Google photos account of both "First Couples" during the inauguration, and one of those 4 individuals did not have their hand over their heart or was saluting (it's not who you would think, at first). I'm not going to go further than that in this context, but FFS this is ridiculously stupid.

It is not required to put your hand over your heart and only service members are required to salute during the National Anthem.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I would take Kaep to backup RW on a minimum deal in a heartbeat.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Hrm, trade Jimmy G for a 1st and 2nd, pick up Kaep on the cheap to backup TB12 for a few years, trade the 1st and 2nd for about a dozen 3rd-4ths, trade those for an army of talented but unmotivated veterans, then draft another pro-bowler in the 6th. Pats Life.

• Options
    I wonder what team would be desperate enough to give up a 1st and 2nd for Jimmy G. I could MAYBE see a 1st and 3rd but that would be stretching it pretty big.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think Cleveland is still on the hook for that rumour.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wonder what team would be desperate enough to give up a 1st and 2nd for Jimmy G. I could MAYBE see a 1st and 3rd but that would be stretching it pretty big.

/Stares at Osweiler and Matt Glennon's contracts

Teams are dumb/desperate for a QB, I feel like a viable roster construction method would almost be to draft a QB late, stash him behind your starter for three years and leak amazing practice hype to the press. Some dummies will give you at least a second for him.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I expect the Niners will continue to be a huge disappointment to their father and I next year

blerg

I don't need the greatest team in the league, but a team that seems like they could actually win every week would be nice

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

/Stares at Osweiler and Matt Glennon's contracts

Teams are dumb/desperate for a QB, I feel like a viable roster construction method would almost be to draft a QB late, stash him behind your starter for three years and leak amazing practice hype to the press. Some dummies will give you at least a second for him.

Sure. I was mainly speaking of his actual value to teams. If the drudge of the NFL wasnt so bad the Pats would have died out long ago.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    while it's definitely because of the kneeling I think it's too early to count out kaepernick. injuries are going to happen, jobs will be on the line, and someone will say fuck it this guy has been to a superbowl

• Options
    Yeah, but Tebow is still available!

• Options
    Roger Goodell to Oakland: Get rekt!
    Painting a grim picture of the city’s chances of keeping the Raiders from moving to Las Vegas, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told Mayor Libby Schaaf in a letter Friday that the Ronnie Lott-led Oakland stadium proposal is filled with uncertainty.

In the letter obtained by this news organization Saturday, Goodell wrote that the city’s proposal is not “clear and specific, actionable in a reasonable time frame, and free of major contingencies.”

The criticism from the NFL’s top executive came days before NFL owners are expected to vote on the team’s relocation to Nevada and in response to an earlier letter from Schaaf outlining the $1.3 billion development at the Coliseum complex.

Hall of Famer Lott and his investors have proposed building a 55,000-seat football stadium, along with hotels, restaurants and space for a new ballpark for the A’s.

Meanwhile, in Nevada, the Raiders have proposed building a $1.9 billion, 65,000-seat domed stadium near the Las Vegas Strip, relying heavily on $750 million in taxpayer money and a $650 million loan from Bank of America.

“Key issues that we have identified as threshold considerations are simply not resolvable in a reasonable time,” Goodell wrote of the Oakland proposal.

The last time I remember the NFL waffling this badly was when they extended the submission period for the last expansion in a desperate attempt to have the LA bid not be absolute trash. (Houston 'won'.) The league couldn't possibly be signalling harder they want to be in Las Vegas than if they moved the HQ there.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    The local consensus seems to be that the mayor put it out so she could say "hey we tried," but that they didn't expect it to actually make a difference

• Options
    On the business side moving a team to Vegas makes a ton of sense. The thought of Superbowls, Pro Bowls etc there must give them money ragers.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Vote official. Las Vegas "Raiders".

Seahawks backup QB arrested for his car backing up into a bar hitting 4 people. He was a passenger but got smacked with drunk in public etc. Kaep to the Hawks might just materialize.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man, I am pretty dang ticked off about Nevada using almost 1/8 of their budget to poach a football team when their schools are the worst in the country and they're continuing to cut mental health (after bussing their patients to the Bay Area because they weren't spending enough, and settling for a tiny goddamn fraction of the damages).

Worst goddamn neighbor.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    http://deadspin.com/the-raiders-are-moving-to-las-vegas-and-it-stinks-1793682944

Well the important thing is this just made Jerry Jones more powerful and rich. Because that guy was hurting. The NFL can't be knocked down a peg fast enough.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Look, man...that new downtown stadium will revitalise the dwindling Las Vegas area! What have you got against commerce?

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    The part where they continue to offset their social decay on the backs of Californians.

• Options
    That's what everybody already does.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Yes but the other states aren't so transparent about it, or directly contributing to the community I live in being more dangerous.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    It is infuriating states can struggle to fund education to the point of being fined daily for their inability to do so, but never have an issue finding money for pro sports teams despite the dubious financial benefits.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    It is infuriating states can struggle to fund education to the point of being fined daily for their inability to do so, but never have an issue finding money for pro sports teams despite the dubious financial benefits.

The part that gets me is that Nevada literally contributed to Oakland's budget woes (don't get me wrong, Oakland is a terrible place with terrible local government and they would have had problems on their own) and now they're stealing their football team.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Stephen Ross, the dolphins owner, was the only one to vote against it. He's also personally financed stadium renovations in the past.

Good for him.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Stephen Ross, the dolphins owner, was the only one to vote against it. He's also personally financed stadium renovations in the past.

Good for him.

He's kind of an asshole, but I'm biased because he supported Dave Brandon as athletic director at Michigan. He's also the school's largest donor ever, so I guess that's something.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

Good for him.

He's kind of an asshole, but I'm biased because he supported Dave Brandon as athletic director at Michigan. He's also the school's largest donor ever, so I guess that's something.

lol I just looked him up

He was the main backer for the Time Warner Center in Columbus Circle, which kinda started the whole "super expensive apartments for Saudi princes and Russian oligarchs to buy and never visit and launder money through" and also the Hudson Yards redevelopment project, which is the same but 10x the scale.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    He probably opposed it because Miami was the vacation football destination, god knows you wouldn't willingly watch the dolphins otherwise.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Ladies and Gentlemen!

The Oakland Los Angeles Oakland again San Antonio? Carson? Las Vegas Raiders! May Mark Davis keep getting stupid haircuts!

With great hatred and animosity,
    Broncos Country

oh h*ck
  • Options
    The real insult? The team is unlikely to move until 2020 when construction is expected to be completed.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    They also raised ticket prices 40% for next year as an extra fuck you to Oakland.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wait, they are moving away AND raising ticket prices? This does not strike me as a smart business move. The Oakland fan base is entirely justified in refusing to spend any more money on that team, though I know that won't happen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The real insult? The team is unlikely to move until 2020 when construction is expected to be completed.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The part where they continue to offset their social decay on the backs of Californians.

That's a good point I mean California would never impose upon their neighbors.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Wait, they are moving away AND raising ticket prices? This does not strike me as a smart business move. The Oakland fan base is entirely justified in refusing to spend any more money on that team, though I know that won't happen.

And because they won't sell out games, they'll be subject to the NFL's blackout rules.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    They're hoping Oakland being good will make people show, but 40% is a big hike

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    They're hoping Oakland being good will make people show, but 40% is a big hike

Not only is it a big hike, its a big hike when the team is already leaving. Like I'd hope the people of oakland would just listen to their parole officers and stay home, but I know they'll be out there supporting the team like they've always done even though the raiders don't give one shit about them ever, and never have.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    but I know they'll be out there supporting the team like they've always done even though the NFL don't give one shit about them ever, and never have.

As long as they are rewarded, their behaviour will never change.

• Options
    but I know they'll be out there supporting the team like they've always done even though the NFL don't give one shit about them ever, and never have.

As long as they are rewarded, their behaviour will never change.

It's why I hope for a snap back. The NFL has gotten too big and in response has gone over board in "don't give a fuck" mode.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Its kind of funny to me after all the fighting in the past with Al Davis the Rams, not the Raiders, were the ones who ended up in LA. And now the Raiders are going to be the Las Vegas Mobsters.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »

And because they won't sell out games, they'll be subject to the NFL's blackout rules.

Except, the blackout rules have been removed or suspended for a season or two now, haven't they?

This discussion has been closed.