As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Muslim Ban] and other Trump immigration policies and actions

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Rudy admitting it's totally a Muslim Ban

https://youtu.be/l9GKL6i38pI?t=192

if timeskip don't work, 192 seconds in.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Handgimp wrote: »

Also calling for 'detention centres' for people being released from prison on bail.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Fuck you, Giuliani. These awful old men and their self-righteous bigotry. Honestly if everybody over the age of 69 died right now it might save the fuckin' world.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Fuck you, Giuliani. These awful old men and their self-righteous bigotry. Honestly if everybody over the age of 69 died right now it might save the fuckin' world.

I'm about to hit 37 and I'd be okay with purging everyone over 35.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    "So instead of a religious ban, we focused on the areas of the world that create danger for us."

HOW MUCH FUCKING SHIT ARE YOU FULL OF, YOU ABHORRENT SHITSTAIN!?

It took like 15 minutes for that chart showing that's bullshit to start circulating around the internet, and "For our Muslim ban, we focused on the most dangerous places" is the best fucking line of bullshit you can come up with? It's not just that they're pure fucking evil, but so fucking stupid in every fucking way. I guess thank god they're not smarter or this would be ten times as horrifying.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Well, that's horrifying.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Also calling for 'detention centres' for people being released from prison on bail.

What's extra stupid about his rant is that bail has, in fact, already been taken away from immigration-crime defendants

If you make bail as an immigration-crime defendant, then you go directly into indefinite pre-trial ICE custody that does not count as time served if you are ultimately convicted

Recognizing the injustice of incarceration which fails to count as time served, in recent years federal judges simply deny bail every single time—this is usually incorrect and illegal, but it allows the defendant to receive full credit for the time they would serve any ways

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Rudy Giuliani is one of the most disgusting people alive today.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Rudy Giuliani is one of the most disgusting people alive today.

His RNC speech terrified me

So happy to be full of hatred

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular

Future Scholars might discuss and debate that terrible Harry Kim episode endlessly though. That'd be awful. Not as awful as anything happening right now but still awful.

Which terrible Harry Kim episode?
    they're all terrible

• Options
    Rudy like, inadvertently showed how obviously and nakedly they're fucking White Nationalists.

He outright says Trump wanted to ban Muslims. The President, the fucking President of the United States, wanted to ban Muslims, and said to one of his trusted advisers to figure out a way for him to do that. Rudy, knowing that wasn't something he could do directly, openly explains that they focused on "Danger", a bullshit explanation that he makes obvious was just something they made up to satiate the basic fact that Trump wanted to ban Muslims.

He gleefully explains this because, as Simon Wiesenthal once said, these people will let their hair down if they think they're among friends. They will speak plainly and obviously, without innuendo, because they think they're just "telling it like it is". They won't use slurs or be completely obvious about their plans for ethnic cleansing or whatever, because they're still cognizant of the fact that this is a TV interview, but at this point Rudy believes the Overton Window is so far afield that he can just be like "Yeah we totally just invented legal language to justify a Muslim ban, lol"

What a fucking scumbag.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I personally wonder about the non-banned Muslim countries. Will Saudi Arabia stand up for her sister countries and hit Trump where it hurts? His pocketbook?

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

My grandmother told me a few months ago, before she passed, that she saw a quote that she strongly believed in. It was "People over 65 shouldn't be able to vote, because its not their future". I wonder if she might have been on to something there, or if it may have steered us away from the determined march towards global war.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's very much a "we won, I don't need to pretend anymore" scenario there. And he's so gleeful about it too, bragging about what they've done.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I personally wonder about the non-banned Muslim countries. Will Saudi Arabia stand up for her sister countries and hit Trump where it hurts? His pocketbook?

hahahahahaha no

Saudi Arabia's national motto may as well be "When you prick your finger, I do not bleed"

They're basically Wakanda in real life.

Pony on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

My grandmother told me a few months ago, before she passed, that she saw a quote that she strongly believed in. It was "People over 65 shouldn't be able to vote, because its not their future". I wonder if she might have been on to something there, or if it may have steered us away from the determined march towards global war.

One of the things that infuriated me when I was arguing with my parents was that my dad kept defending his politics as somehow necessary to support his family (ie, me and my sister). He's also once said that he's not really worried about global warming because our generation will probably invent something to take care of all that, so why panic about it now?

Somehow I get the impression he's never bothered to ask anyone in our generation our opinion on these matters.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Pony wrote: »
    Rudy like, inadvertently showed how obviously and nakedly they're fucking White Nationalists.

He outright says Trump wanted to ban Muslims. The President, the fucking President of the United States, wanted to ban Muslims, and said to one of his trusted advisers to figure out a way for him to do that. Rudy, knowing that wasn't something he could do directly, openly explains that they focused on "Danger", a bullshit explanation that he makes obvious was just something they made up to satiate the basic fact that Trump wanted to ban Muslims.

He gleefully explains this because, as Simon Wiesenthal once said, these people will let their hair down if they think they're among friends. They will speak plainly and obviously, without innuendo, because they think they're just "telling it like it is". They won't use slurs or be completely obvious about their plans for ethnic cleansing or whatever, because they're still cognizant of the fact that this is a TV interview, but at this point Rudy believes the Overton Window is so far afield that he can just be like "Yeah we totally just invented legal language to justify a Muslim ban, lol"

What a fucking scumbag.

What's extra absurd here is that the government can't just act on illegal discriminatory intentions by publicly stating a more lawful pretext

Not if they get caught red handed! Then they lose in court for acting on illegal intentions

But here this hateful idiot is on national TV, bragging to a fellow dirtbag: Oh yeah! We wanted to BREAK THE LAW WITH DISCRIMINATION, so we got a bunch of smart lawyers together and thought up a PRETEXT FOR THE DISCRIMINATION

kedinik on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    kedinik wrote: »
    What's extra absurd here is that the government can't just act on illegal discriminatory intentions by publicly stating a more lawful pretext

Not if they get caught red handed! Then they lose in court for acting on illegal intentions

But here this hateful idiot is on national TV, bragging to a fellow dirtbag: Oh yeah! We wanted to BREAK THE LAW WITH DISCRIMINATION, so we got a bunch of smart lawyers together and thought up a PRETEXT FOR THE DISCRIMINATION

Yeah, if there's evidence that Rudy's team was involved in writing this, and that he's not just bullshitting on Fox News for purposes of self-aggrandizement, I'm pretty sure that'd be sufficient for a court to drive a wrecking ball through this entire EO -- and possibly for any substitute that smacks of arising from the same intent.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    I tweeted that interview at the ACLU but feel free to help push it along, I'm just a rando internet person.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    "We couldn't ban black people from voting, so we just banned everybody from places with lots of black people."

It's coming, guys.

And I mean them bragging about it. Because they've already done it, and since the dry run was a success, it's going to be rolled out cross country.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Here's the text, by the way, for anybody unwilling to subject themselves to that greasy troglodyte. Just imagine him gleeful and smug as well.
    I'll tell you the whole history of it! So, when [Trump] first announced it, he said, "Muslim ban." He called me up. He said, "Put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally." I put a commission together with Judge [Mike] Mukasey, with Congressman [Mike] McCaul, [Rep.] Pete King; a whole group of very expert lawyers on this. And what we did was, we focused on - instead of religion, DANGER! The areas of the word that create DANGER for us... which is a factual basis, not a religious basis. Perfectly legal, perfectly sensible. And that's what the ban is based on.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I hope this nails him to a wall in the not too distant future.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's very much a "we won, I don't need to pretend anymore" scenario there. And he's so gleeful about it too, bragging about what they've done.

They're unafraid, because they now believe that their actions won't have consequences for them.

Trump set that example. All the shit he pulled, and he still took the EC. They don't feel like they have to fear elections, because they intend to fuck D voters that much harder.

I believe the only way they'll come to their senses at this point is if their lives start being inconvenienced/get punched in the face. If they don't fear the law, you have to make them fear the people.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    "We couldn't ban black people from voting, so we just banned everybody from places with lots of black people."

It's coming, guys.

And I mean them bragging about it. Because they've already done it, and since the dry run was a success, it's going to be rolled out cross country.

North Carolina literally tried to say "We didn't devalue the vote in areas that had lots of black people, just areas that had lots of Democrats... who were black."

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Has this been posted yet?

Because this is the clearest infographic I've seen on this subject so far.

sd9vyxx6g1l3.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Has this been posted yet?

Because this is the clearest infographic I've seen on this subject so far.

sd9vyxx6g1l3.jpg

Clear as fucking day. But it always was, so I expect this to change nothing.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Feral, you have that image in imgur, or tweet format?

• Options
    Feral, you have that image in imgur, or tweet format?

http://imgur.com/a/ctPU4

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Washington and California. Go go left coast!

• Options
    WEST COAST BEST COAST

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to drive to DFW and join the protest that is still going on there (last I saw was that 9 are still detained with no access to lawyers, in violation of the federal judge's stay), but I also have to work tomorrow and can't really afford to call out of a shift...

This is all so fucked and I don't know what to do.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »

Write letters.

Make phone calls.

If you can afford it, donate to the ACLU.

Communicate.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    WEST COAST BEST COAST

Come on, Oregon. Get with it already and join your brethren. Pacific States of America. I'm ready.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    WEST COAST BEST COAST

Come on, Oregon. Get with it already and join your brethren. Pacific States of America. I'm ready.

Who's down for some NCR?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    a quick shot of late night / early morning HOPIUM

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to drive to DFW and join the protest that is still going on there (last I saw was that 9 are still detained with no access to lawyers, in violation of the federal judge's stay), but I also have to work tomorrow and can't really afford to call out of a shift...

Do what you can. Even if it's just making a plan tonight about what you will do tomorrow.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I'm starting to get the sinking feeling that the only way this ends is global war, the disintegration of the United States, or both. I'm not sure the second is possible without the first.

I'm almost ENTIRELY sure we won't have a democracy in 4 years without shedding blood for it. Fuck, with everything I hear about armed thugs in uniform ignoring court orders tonight I'm not sure we'll have a democracy in the morning.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm starting to get the sinking feeling that the only way this ends is global war, the disintegration of the United States, or both. I'm not sure the second is possible without the first.

I'm almost ENTIRELY sure we won't have a democracy in 4 years without shedding blood for it. Fuck, with everything I hear about armed thugs in uniform ignoring court orders tonight I'm not sure we'll have a democracy in the morning.

I don't hear no fat lady

keep pulling every lever you can

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »

Do what you can. Even if it's just making a plan tonight about what you will do tomorrow.

Yeah, I've already emailed both senators and my house rep (all 3 of their voicemail boxes have been full and not accepting any new calls for a week now, the cowardly fucks); it's just frustrating cause all 3 are a bunch of evil dickbags who will happily go along with whatever Trump wants. Maybe Cornyn will put out some kind of half assed statement, but that's it.

Now I'm seeing twitter reports that CAIR is asking for more people tomorrow since the DFW detainees for sure won't be released tonight; if it's still going on after my shift I'll be able to swing by.

Edit: Note to self: bring tennis shoes to work tomorrow so feet don't explode

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
This discussion has been closed.