As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Trump Cabinet] thread

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Trump answers to his critics:
    "When I said wiretapping, it was in quotes. Because a wiretapping is, you know today it is different than wiretapping. It is just a good description. But wiretapping was in quotes. What I'm talking about is surveillance," he told Time's Washington bureau chief Michael Scherer. "And today, Devin Nunes just had a news conference. Now probably got obliterated by what's happened in London. But just had a news conference, and here it is one of those things. The other one, election, I said we are going to win, we won. And many other things. And I think this is going to be very interesting."

And despite sinking approval ratings that show he is losing some of his core support – driven in large part by voters belief that Trump isn't honest – the president says he isn't worried about his credibility.

"Hey look, in the meantime, I guess, I can't be doing so badly," he said, "because I'm president, and you're not."

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Texas A&M just had the first openly gay student elected to student body president. Rick Perry has three things to say about it.
    After Texas A&M University elected its first openly gay student president, Secretary of Energy Rick Perry took a break from national politics on Wednesday to question if his alma mater's election process was rigged in the name of diversity.

In an editorial published Wednesday in the Houston Chronicle, the former Texas governor called the election victory of 21-year-old junior Bobby Brooks a "mockery of due process and transparency" and suggested the university's decision was based on a "quest for diversity."

"At worst, the [student government association] allowed an election to be stolen outright," Perry wrote.

Perry's 850-word letter comes two days after the traditionally conservative school elected Brooks as its first openly gay student body president. Brooks lost the popular vote but won the election after his opponent, Robert McIntosh, was disqualified by the student government and the university's judicial court based on reports that his campaign didn't provide receipts for glow sticks used in a Facebook campaign video.

He also alleged that a series of the voter intimidation complaints made against McIntosh were submitted by Brooks' supporters in "a series of dirty campaign tactics."

"Brooks' presidency is being treated as a victory for 'diversity.' It is difficult to escape the perception that this quest for 'diversity' is the real reason the election outcome was overturned," Perry wrote. "Does the principle of 'diversity' override and supersede all other values of our Aggie Honor Code?"

In a statement to NBC News, Texas A&M pushed back against Perry's op-ed and said McIntosh's disqualification represents the school's commitment to accountability.

"To suggest that the same decision of disqualification would not have been made if the roles were reversed is to deny the Texas A&M of today where accountability applies to all," said Texas A&M spokesperson Amy Smith.
    I don't think those glasses are working, mang.

I have to assume that student government at colleges throughout the US is more or less the same (or at least mine was like this); filled with spoiled rich kids or poli sci overachievers who take things way too seriously, are completely humorless about it, and take to their fainting couches over the smallest of issues. It's just a whole bunch of wasted time and bullshit that is completely meaningless the minute you step off of campus. Why would Rick Perry even bother?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Doesn't Mr. Perry have a really important job he should be doing?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

He probably just forgot about it.

Fun fact: The kid who got the most votes, but whose election was overturned due to voter intimidation and expense rules violations, is the son of one of Secretary Perry's biggest donors.

Weird coincidence, that.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    It doesn't take very long to write 850 words if you're passionate about disliking gays.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    As somebody still semi-connected to A&M:
    • Yes, the dude who was disqualified had voter intimidation complaints against him that were all withdrawn. It's a whole *thing* and nobody is really sure if anything actually happened or if those people were complaining fruitlessly.
    • Were he not disqualified, he almost certainly would have won.
    • He was disqualified for going over the maximum election budget, which he claimed he did not because the glow sticks used in his video were surplus from a charity event; the rules are fairly explicit you have to mark fair market value for all election materials. I *think* the bigger thing is that the fine associated with not claiming the glowsticks properly pushed him over the edge, but I'd have to go confirm.
    • This is totally irrelevant to the topic.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Texas A&M just had the first openly gay student elected to student body president. Rick Perry has three things to say about it.
    After Texas A&M University elected its first openly gay student president, Secretary of Energy Rick Perry took a break from national politics on Wednesday to question if his alma mater's election process was rigged in the name of diversity.

In an editorial published Wednesday in the Houston Chronicle, the former Texas governor called the election victory of 21-year-old junior Bobby Brooks a "mockery of due process and transparency" and suggested the university's decision was based on a "quest for diversity."

"At worst, the [student government association] allowed an election to be stolen outright," Perry wrote.

Perry's 850-word letter comes two days after the traditionally conservative school elected Brooks as its first openly gay student body president. Brooks lost the popular vote but won the election after his opponent, Robert McIntosh, was disqualified by the student government and the university's judicial court based on reports that his campaign didn't provide receipts for glow sticks used in a Facebook campaign video.

He also alleged that a series of the voter intimidation complaints made against McIntosh were submitted by Brooks' supporters in "a series of dirty campaign tactics."

"Brooks' presidency is being treated as a victory for 'diversity.' It is difficult to escape the perception that this quest for 'diversity' is the real reason the election outcome was overturned," Perry wrote. "Does the principle of 'diversity' override and supersede all other values of our Aggie Honor Code?"

In a statement to NBC News, Texas A&M pushed back against Perry's op-ed and said McIntosh's disqualification represents the school's commitment to accountability.

"To suggest that the same decision of disqualification would not have been made if the roles were reversed is to deny the Texas A&M of today where accountability applies to all," said Texas A&M spokesperson Amy Smith.

So there was an election where one side won the most votes, but obscure and possibly unjust rules combined with inappropriate and unjustified interference by authorities caused the other candidate to be installed to office instead...

You don't say....

Jealous Deva on
  • Options

So there was an election where one side won the most votes, but obscure and possibly unjust rules combined with inappropriate and unjustified interference by authorities caused the other candidate to be installed to office instead...

You don't say....

The rule that caused him to be DQ'd wasn't exactly "obscure", as going over the budgetary limits disqualifies at least one person every year.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    "When I said wiretapping, it was in quotes. Because a wiretapping is, you know today it is different than wiretapping. It is just a good description. But wiretapping was in quotes. What I'm talking about is surveillance," he told Time's Washington bureau chief Michael Scherer. "And today, Devin Nunes just had a news conference. Now probably got obliterated by what's happened in London. But just had a news conference, and here it is one of those things. The other one, election, I said we are going to win, we won. And many other things. And I think this is going to be very interesting."

And despite sinking approval ratings that show he is losing some of his core support – driven in large part by voters belief that Trump isn't honest – the president says he isn't worried about his credibility.

"Hey look, in the meantime, I guess, I can't be doing so badly," he said, "because I'm president, and you're not."

At least he isn't Chevy Chase.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Savant wrote: »

At least he isn't Chevy Chase.

And Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm not entirely sure this is the right thread, but: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-asked-for-60-million-extra-for-trump-era-travel-and-protection-documents-show/2017/03/22/0967e7b6-0a85-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.9f66dc6be72f
    The U.S. Secret Service requested $60 million in additional funding for the next year, offering the most precise estimate yet of the escalating costs for travel and protection resulting from the unusually complicated lifestyle of the Trump family, according to internal agency documents reviewed by The Washington Post.

Nearly half of the additional money, $26.8 million, would pay to protect President Trump’s family and private home in New York’s Trump Tower, the documents show, while $33 million would be spent on travel costs incurred by “the president, vice president and other visiting heads of state."
    This part in particular:
    A person familiar with internal Secret Service budget discussions said the requests for additional funding, prepared in late February, were rejected by the Office of Management and Budget, an arm of the White House. That means the agency will probably have to divert other spending to handle the additional burden.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure this is the right thread, but: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-asked-for-60-million-extra-for-trump-era-travel-and-protection-documents-show/2017/03/22/0967e7b6-0a85-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.9f66dc6be72f
    The U.S. Secret Service requested $60 million in additional funding for the next year, offering the most precise estimate yet of the escalating costs for travel and protection resulting from the unusually complicated lifestyle of the Trump family, according to internal agency documents reviewed by The Washington Post.

Nearly half of the additional money, $26.8 million, would pay to protect President Trump’s family and private home in New York’s Trump Tower, the documents show, while $33 million would be spent on travel costs incurred by “the president, vice president and other visiting heads of state."
    This part in particular:
    A person familiar with internal Secret Service budget discussions said the requests for additional funding, prepared in late February, were rejected by the Office of Management and Budget, an arm of the White House. That means the agency will probably have to divert other spending to handle the additional burden.

So what happens when the Secret Service runs out of money?

emp123 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

This part in particular:

So what happens when the Secret Service runs out of money?

Well, if they take that 60 million out of their anti-counterfeiting budget, it kind of solves itself.

• Options
    I mean, that was a request for additional money. Best case? They tell him that they really can't afford to cover both his weekend trips and securing blocks in the middle of NYC (I'm still not sure fire they do that, long term), and confine him to stewing in the white house

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I mean, that was a request for additional money. Best case? They tell him that they really can't afford to cover both his weekend trips and securing blocks in the middle of NYC (I'm still not sure fire they do that, long term), and confine him to stewing in the white house

I dont think Trump would stand for that, he'd tell them to just get the money however they need to and then head off to wherever he wants to go. I wonder where the Summer White House will be. Probably Florida. Its Mar a Lago.

And if they take it out of then anti-counterfeiting budget....I sense a new business opportunity...

• Options
    edited March 2017
    TryCatcher was warned for this.
    Nice to see that Trump still has time for the important things:

So It Goes on
  • Options
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    • Yes, the dude who was disqualified had voter intimidation complaints against him that were all withdrawn. It's a whole *thing* and nobody is really sure if anything actually happened or if those people were complaining fruitlessly.
    • He was disqualified for going over the maximum election budget, which he claimed he did not because the glow sticks used in his video were surplus from a charity event; the rules are fairly explicit you have to mark fair market value for all election materials. I *think* the bigger thing is that the fine associated with not claiming the glowsticks properly pushed him over the edge, but I'd have to go confirm.

Perry taking the time to comment is just hilariously stupid.

I'm a longhorn but my best friend and my girlfriend both went to A&M and everyone there hates the guy.

They wanted to name the Academic Building after him. After a guy that graduated with a C GPA.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

I'm a longhorn but my best friend and my girlfriend both went to A&M and everyone there hates the guy.

They wanted to name the Academic Building after him. After a guy that graduated with a C GPA.

Oh yeah I hate Perry and the Academic building thing was bullshit, but if the thread is gonna somehow shift into something I have pretty solid info on I feel like responding.

Also, Longhorn, *hiss*

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Fuck what the state is going through wants! Fuck state's rights until it's about guns or marriage!

God I absolutely fucking loathe the GOP.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I have to assume that student government at colleges throughout the US is more or less the same (or at least mine was like this); filled with spoiled rich kids or poli sci overachievers who take things way too seriously, are completely humorless about it, and take to their fainting couches over the smallest of issues. It's just a whole bunch of wasted time and bullshit that is completely meaningless the minute you step off of campus. Why would Rick Perry even bother?

Because The Gays!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Oh yeah I hate Perry and the Academic building thing was bullshit, but if the thread is gonna somehow shift into something I have pretty solid info on I feel like responding.

Also, Longhorn, *hiss*

:rotate:

the gossip I hear about A&M through my girlfriend (who works at Rudder btw) is just hilarious

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Who the hell thinks defense spending was gutted under Obama?

Not Osama.
    So a bit of levity in these dark times: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/mattis-defense-hill-republicans-obama-236329
    But Republican lawmakers and senior congressional aides said in recent interviews they’re running out of patience with Mattis' staffing decisions, which have disappointed Republican members of the Senate Armed Services Committee hoping to see their ideological allies elevated to senior levels in the Defense Department. Others are grumbling about Mattis’ refusal to advocate a bigger increase in the defense budget, which defense hawks believe was gutted disastrously under President Barack Obama.

“He certainly has got a tough job, but it sometimes feels like he forgets that we won the election,” said one aide to a GOP senator on the Armed Services Committee, who declined to speak on the record for fear of publicly alienating the defense secretary.

“We’ve waited eight years for this, to be able to fill these posts with Republicans,” said another top GOP Hill staffer. “We know Trump isn’t part of the establishment and that it’s going to be a bit different, but it should go without saying that a Republican administration is expected to staff federal agencies with Republicans.”

Fucking scum, your priority should be to staff positions with the best possible person not your allies and not people who are just registered R.

I know this isn't what you mean but if I'm a Democratic President incoming in 2021 I'm purging as many fucking Republicans from the executive branch as possible. Comey is living proof that throwing the other side a bone with an appointment as an act of good faith can come back to bite you and it bit the Democrats in the worst possible way.

yeah it's sometimes hard to differentiate between things that are beyond the pale and things that are only frustrating because you're not the ones in power. With a dem controlled gov't I'd want to do a purge as well and would feel very ok with it. To a certain extent that's just the deal when it comes to government.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The idea of being disqualified because of illicitly funded glow sticks is just

really funny to me

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    The idea of being disqualified because of illicitly funded glow sticks is just

really funny to me

Campaign finance, it's important.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    In my high school the winning candidate was disqualified in 2003 or so because his slogan was "colin, dick, bush, Johnson."

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Fuck what the state is going through wants! Fuck state's rights until it's about guns or marriage!

Also, I guess fuck the coal industry?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Also, I guess fuck the coal industry?

This is pretty much a default position; even if it wasn't horrible for the environment (both in mining and application), coal is simply inferior to other energy sources both in cost and efficiency.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Actually, if I remember right, this is federal level only, the state and local governments can still give Keystone XL holy hell if they wanted to.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This is the Trump Cabinet thread.

Also perry's comment was dumb but we're not gonna get into the weeds of rules for school elections here.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So Mnuchin at least has enough awareness of how money works that he wants the debt ceiling done.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So Mnuchin at least has enough awareness of how money works that he wants the debt ceiling done.

At least it's more than his ideas about genetics:
    “This guy’s got more stamina than anybody I’ve ever met,” Mnuchin said of Trump. “I mean, I thought I was in good shape. I traveled with him all the time… I mean, it’s unbelievable. He’ s constantly doing things.”

Allen asked Mnuchin how that’s possible, given that the 70-year-old Trump is known to enjoy fast food and admits he doesn’t exercise.

“He’s got perfect genes,” Mnuchin said of Trump. “He has incredible energy, and he’s unbelievably healthy.”

Over/under on one of them spouting racial "science" has to be like May 10, right?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What 'things' is he constantly doing? I don't need caffeine to make it through a day, it doesn't make me some kind of superhuman.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    What 'things' is he constantly doing? I don't need caffeine to make it through a day, it doesn't make me some kind of superhuman.

I think it might.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I don't think I quantify my anger at a senior fucking government official going out of his way to punch down at a private individual (Who's a college student for christ sakes!?) because they're a member of a minority group and happened to become school president of said government official's alma mater.

Like, I may literally have to go punch something right now? That's so petty, and mean, and cruel. And it accomplishes literally nothing besides opening up said student to even more harassment than they were likely to already get.

Fuck. You.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Edit: Missed sig's post above, sorry gang.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    I don't think I quantify my anger at a senior fucking government official going out of his way to punch down at a private individual (Who's a college student for christ sakes!?) because they're a member of a minority group and happened to become school president of said government official's alma mater.

Like, I may literally have to go punch something right now? That's so petty, and mean, and cruel. And it accomplishes literally nothing besides opening up said student to even more harassment than they were likely to already get.

Fuck. You.

That's their thing. It looks like it was a personal thing because he was incredibly petty and wanted a family member/friend to win, but this also furthers the right's agenda of invalidating every accomplishment by someone that isn't a white male. It revs up their base to continue to complain about how unfairly they perceive themselves as being treated so they can ignore reality. It feels like something Bannon would tell someone to do.

So It Goes wrote: »
    This is the Trump Cabinet thread.

Also perry's comment was dumb but we're not gonna get into the weeds of rules for school elections here.

Did SIG stutter?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Via Acosta from CNN

Anyone know who this guy is? I assume he's the one who was responsible for scrambling Kelly-Anne Connway, et al?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    What are the odds they are getting rid of him because his name sounds Russian?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What are the odds they are getting rid of him because his name sounds Russian?

IIRC, he was actually born in Russia?

EDIT: Yeah he was. And apparently he was the one who wrote that Holocaust Remembrance Day speech that didn't actually mention the jews

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.