As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Trump Cabinet] thread

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What are the odds they are getting rid of him because his name sounds Russian?

IIRC, he was actually born in Russia?

EDIT: Yeah he was. And apparently he was the one who wrote that Holocaust Remembrance Day speech that didn't actually mention the jews

Oh hell, I completely forgot about that.

Trump's cabinet needs to slow the fuck down. They've crammed like an entire presidency of absolute garbage into two months.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What are the odds they are getting rid of him because his name sounds Russian?

IIRC, he was actually born in Russia?

EDIT: Yeah he was. And apparently he was the one who wrote that Holocaust Remembrance Day speech that didn't actually mention the jews

Oh hell, I completely forgot about that.

Trump's cabinet needs to slow the fuck down. They've crammed like an entire presidency of absolute garbage into two months.

That's been the strategy. They're Gish Gallopping their way through so much terrible that it's impossible to keep up.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The problem is that it keeps circling back to the Russian thing. The stories dig just a little bit deeper every time it distracts from trumpcare, the immigration ban, perjury, or whatever

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The new guy up for SecLabor is all about the worker...
    Still, his testimony suggests that as labor secretary his primary goal would not be to look out for workers by promoting fair pay and workplace safety. Instead, he seems more interested in shielding employers from having to address those concerns.

For example, when asked whether he would appeal a recent court ruling that blocked an Obama administration regulation to expand eligibility for overtime pay, Mr. Acosta declined to answer, saying he would need to consult with Labor Department lawyers. But then he went on about what he saw as the regulation’s drawbacks for employers. He also echoed the court’s contorted argument, saying that the Labor Department may not have the authority to update the overtime rules, as it did during the Obama administration.

The disturbing takeaway was that Mr. Acosta would not defend the new overtime standards, which are desperately needed. By government estimates, 4.2 million workers earning salaries between $455 and $913 a week would become newly eligible for overtime if the regulation took effect. By more liberal estimates, another roughly eight million workers who are currently denied overtime on the basis of their job duties would have a stronger claim to it under the new rule’s clear and updated standards, including millions who live in states that went for Mr. Trump.

Mr. Acosta’s answers to questions about other worker protections were also troubling. He would not commit to upholding a Labor Department rule, set to take effect in April, that would require financial advisers to put clients’ interests first when giving advice or selling investments for 401(k) rollovers or other retirement-related transactions. Nor would he commit to enforcing a rule to protect construction workers from carcinogenic dust.

Mr. Acosta tried to justify his evasions by citing directives from Mr. Trump to review and possibly roll back pending rules before moving forward with them. But that dodges the issue. It is important to know what he thinks, because it would be his job to educate and influence the president on labor-policy matters. His reticence at the hearing suggests he will — or already does — embrace the Trump administration’s demolition approach to sensible regulation.

Mr. Acosta is likely to be confirmed. He is a better nominee than Mr. Puzder. But it’s hard to see how his tenure will be good for American workers.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The Republican Party: pro-carcinogenic dust. That about sums it up.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Republican Party: pro-carcinogenic dust. That about sums it up.

They've been on the record for this since most of them balked at supporting the Zadroga Act since it's essentially what's made so many first responders/ground zero workers ill over the last two decades.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    yeah its pretty standard now for republicans basically to make captain planet villains go "woah, dude"

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    yeah its pretty standard now for republicans basically to make captain planet villains go "woah, dude"

Hoggish Greedly did care about the future of his child.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Apparently Trump is creating a new "Office of American Innovation" which is "aimed at reforming the federal government through private-sector solutions."

And Trump is putting his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, in charge of it.

This is right out flagrant of anti-nepotism laws, right? No rules lawyer it away or anything.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/politics/kushner-american-innovation-white-house/index.html

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Part of me loves the irony in creating a new government office whose sole remit is to streamline government efficiency.

How about, don't create the office? I just saved you many dollars of government waste!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Part of me loves the irony in creating a new government office whose sole remit is to streamline government efficiency.

How about, don't create the office? I just saved you many dollars of government waste!

prediction: will work to 'streamline' FDA, FCC, EPA, FTC, etc

never ever visit Pentagon

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

You're reading that wrong. It's graft. The purpose is graft.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Apparently Trump is creating a new "Office of American Innovation" which is "aimed at reforming the federal government through private-sector solutions."

And Trump is putting his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, in charge of it.

This is right out flagrant of anti-nepotism laws, right? No rules lawyer it away or anything.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/politics/kushner-american-innovation-white-house/index.html

Despite the 1967 law being a result of Republicans pissed that JFK appointed his brother AG there have been multiple rulings that the law doesn't apply to presidential appointments. Unfortunately it appeara he and Ivanka are clear for whatever the fuck Trump wants.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Step 1: Creates unnecessary position

Step 2: 6* months later after the genpop has forgotten about it, announce you've found a way to save some taxpayer money by eliminating an unnecessary position.

Step 3: Claim step 2 as evidence of a successful administration.

*Probably too high

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Dept of blatant nepotism you say?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's being framed very similarly to the "SWAT" team Obama had and Hillary Clinton proposed. The appointment of his son-in-law is more disturbing than the concept of the position.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mr. Acosta is likely to be confirmed. He is a better nominee than Mr. Puzder. But it’s hard to see how his tenure will be good for American workers.

He is not better. Acosta is less bad. Saying something is better implies that it is good or, at the least, neutral. Given a choice for lunch between two slices of stale, dry bread and a fresh sandwich of decent quality and ingredients, the sandwich is clearly better. Acosta vs. Puzder is like the choice between getting punched hard in the stomach vs. getting stabbed two dozen times by someone on LSD who thinks they're freeing you from ghosts haunting your body. Getting punched in the stomach is not good; it's simply less bad than the alternative here.

It might seem a pointless rhetorical flourish, but this way helps make a barrier to keep us from normalizing bad behavior and actions because something else is even worse.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'll tell you what I'm sick of right now: government officials saying they are going to run government like a business by focusing on their customers, the dear citizens. No fuck you. The citizens are your boss and you better damn well treat them as such. My governor, the mini Trump, Pete Ricketts pulls this line out all the time. It drives me crazy.

Fake edit: this sentiment was mentioned in that Kushner getting paid by taxpayers through wife's dad's privilege singularity event horizon.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'll tell you what I'm sick of right now: government officials saying they are going to run government like a business by focusing on their customers, the dear citizens. No fuck you. The citizens are your boss and you better damn well treat them as such. My governor, the mini Trump, Pete Ricketts pulls this line out all the time. It drives me crazy.

What makes it worse than that is the customer is not always right.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    In today's episode of "How can Spicer out Spicer himself" we find him chastising a black reporter for shaking her head during his response.

As is clearly obvious, he has no control over the press corps. Why they're not rioting each and every day remains a mystery to me.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »

prediction: will work to 'streamline' FDA, FCC, EPA, FTC, etc

never ever visit Pentagon

And mysteriously a large chunk of government clerical work or whatever will end up run by Trump-owned companies.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    In today's episode of "How can Spicer out Spicer himself" we find him chastising a black reporter for shaking her head during his response.

As is clearly obvious, he has no control over the press corps. Why they're not rioting each and every day remains a mystery to me.

Oh man he's losing it. I hope we see a breakdown on live TV soon.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I love her incredulous smile that starts right as the video cuts. "This fucking guy"

Additionally, I was in the wrong thread with the rest of this!

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I love her incredulous smile that starts right as the video cuts. "This fucking guy"

Additionally, Is this the thread to talk about Jeff Sessions' and the horrible no good very bad plan to take away hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding for cities if they don't get rid of their police chief approved sanctuary city policy? I know it's mostly just a way to punish liberal enclaves for being liberal enclaves, but I wonder about the legality? Does the executive branch have enough leeway in their spending to just tell 12 of the largest cities in america to stuff it?

That's for immigration thread since it has to do with immigration policy

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Additionally, Is this the thread to talk about Jeff Sessions' and the horrible no good very bad plan to take away hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding for cities if they don't get rid of their police chief approved sanctuary city policy? I know it's mostly just a way to punish liberal enclaves for being liberal enclaves, but I wonder about the legality? Does the executive branch have enough leeway in their spending to just tell 12 of the largest cities in america to stuff it?

I think @so it goes said that goes in the muslim ban thread?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

That's for immigration thread since it has to do with immigration policy

Got it. Sorry I missed that one. Thanks.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The nepotism train never stops.

edition.cnn.com/2017/03/29/politics/ivanka-trump-white-house-job/

Except for relatives and friends of the family of course.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The NYT puts Bannon's thoughts on the Congress kerfluffle:
    Up to this point, Ryan had epitomized to Bannon everything that was wrong with the Republican Party. Discussing the two parties’ shortcomings, Bannon later told me, “What’s that Dostoyevsky line: Happy families are all the same, but unhappy families are unhappy in their own unique ways?” (He meant Tolstoy.) “I think the Democrats are fundamentally afflicted with the inability to discuss and have an adult conversation about economics and jobs, because they’re too consumed by identity politics. And then the Republicans, it’s all this theoretical Cato Institute, Austrian economics, limited government — which just doesn’t have any depth to it. They’re not living in the real world.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Bannon thinking the *Dems* are too obsessed with identity politics is kind of hilarious, as that's all he is..

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    The NYT puts Bannon's thoughts on the Congress kerfluffle:
    Up to this point, Ryan had epitomized to Bannon everything that was wrong with the Republican Party. Discussing the two parties’ shortcomings, Bannon later told me, “What’s that Dostoyevsky line: Happy families are all the same, but unhappy families are unhappy in their own unique ways?” (He meant Tolstoy.) “I think the Democrats are fundamentally afflicted with the inability to discuss and have an adult conversation about economics and jobs, because they’re too consumed by identity politics. And then the Republicans, it’s all this theoretical Cato Institute, Austrian economics, limited government — which just doesn’t have any depth to it. They’re not living in the real world.

"... a world which I hope to turn into a fascist white dictatorship, with myself at or near the head."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Oh hey, I agreed with... 22 words in a row of Steve Bannon talking. This feels gross.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Bannon thinking the *Dems* are too obsessed with identity politics is kind of hilarious, as that's all he is..

Remember that the opinions of straight white dudes are normal and completely without bias.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I agreed with... 22 words in a row of Steve Bannon talking. This feels gross.

Even a broken clock finds a nut sometimes.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Remember that the opinions of straight white dudes are normal and completely without bias.

As a straight, white dude...I concur.
    Can I get a 'harrumph'?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Even a broken clock finds a nut sometimes.

- Dostoyevsky , probably

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Well, I guess I was kinda wrong about Chris Christie never being given a position ever, because he's now the head of some likely pointless at best opioid crisis commission, like a fake drug czar, where they will talk about what to do as if the Obama administration hadn't already discussed it and written out plans and the planned budget wasn't already cutting everything that would actually help, like grants for drug treatment.

It's very likely of course that Trump has no idea that of course people have been trying to figure this out and did something pointless to try to look like he's doing something, but considering him and his lackeys and how they work, I'm wondering if there's some plan to profit off this somehow, rake in the nepotism bucks, and what awful, terrible schemes they could come up with. Something like banning Naloxone, shipping off addicts to private prisons, and/or invading Mexico (one of Trump's advisors is said to be a fan of "supply side drug control.")

Chris Christie is apparently sympathetic to addicts and did genuine good work in NJ to improve treatment options and so forth, so maybe it won't be an exploding dumpster fire like everything else, but also there's no guarantee that even if they do come up with good plans that anything will come of it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I don't want to say anything nice about Christie but he does come from a real genuine place when he talks about addiction, and is a strong believer in treatment over punishment. He has lost friends to it and he doesn't speak of them as criminals.

If he manages to move our country in that direction, good on him.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Wasn't it looking likely that Christie was going down for the bridge thing finally?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Gonna need an electron microscope to play the violin for him.

This discussion has been closed.