As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

High Definition TV

tralevtralev Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
First, I swear I spent 10 minutes trying to use the Search feature to find one of the many threads like this that I know already exist.

I'm looking to buy a high def tv, 38-42". I'm willing to pay more for quality, but I don't want to get skunked just paying for a brand name.

Costco has some nice options, I was going to put in a link but I can't figure out to put a short link name so I HScroll to death.

Is 1080i ok for a tv that size? Is 1080p even an option for it? What questions do I not even know to ask?

Thanks in advance.

Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
tralev on

• Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Someone will say you can't tell the difference at 720p vs 1080p. But really it depends. What 1080P sources do you have? Do you plan to use this as a PC monitor?

solsovly on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    1080p televisions generally start at 50" or so. Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung are your best bets for a good mid-range brand name. I have personal experience with all of them, and prefer them in the order I listed. I recommend either DLP or LCD-RP (which is different than LCD) as a good balance between cost and performance. With LCD and Plasma, you're paying about a grand extra for the ability to hang it on a wall.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    solsovly wrote: »
    Someone will say you can't tell the difference at 720p vs 1080p. But really it depends. What 1080P sources do you have? Do you plan to use this as a PC monitor?
    Um, wife and I are separating so I'm buying all the toys I couldn't buy before. I have nothing, but disposable income. Right now I just have a Wii, but eventually I want this TV for high def movies. Eventually.

tralev on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    1080p televisions generally start at 50" or so. Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung are your best bets for a good mid-range brand name. I have personal experience with all of them, and prefer them in the order I listed. I recommend either DLP or LCD-RP (which is different than LCD) as a good balance between cost and performance. With LCD and Plasma, you're paying about a grand extra for the ability to hang it on a wall.
    Hmmm the DLP tv's I'm seeing are all pretty big. Bigger than I really want. Am I just finding larger ones?

EDIT: Also, anyone know about the Vizio brand Costco offers?

tralev on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You can look at this chart to determine what size you need for what input (hd-dvd, blu-ray etc):
    resolutionchartnh6.th.png

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tralev wrote: »
    Hmmm the DLP tv's I'm seeing are all pretty big. Bigger than I really want. Am I just finding larger ones?

EDIT: Also, anyone know about the Vizio brand Costco offers?

I bought a 42" Vizio LCD (GV42L) from Costco last August. It's been pretty good so far.

Good: handles SD content well for an LCD; versatile - has a bunch of inputs and optical out for OTA surround sound. Cheap price, plus Costco warranty at the time.

Bad: black levels - some roof scenes in Batman Begins just looked all black; has a weird remote that accesses each input directly, making it hard to program onto universal remotes. The TV speakers sucked but were detachable.

The set's in a sun-lit living room used throughout the day, facing windows. Time Warner HD box through DVI-HDMI, Xbox and Wii through component, 360 through VGA, OTA antenna through coax.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm looking into something like the Westinghouse LVM24-w2 for my next TV purchase, even though it's not really a TV. It's a 42" monitor with full 1080p support and all the inputs I'll ever need.

I'm only going to be watching content from either a HD cable box or my living room Mac Mini, so lack of a built-in TV decoder doesn't bother me. I saw the 47" and 37" models in the same line at Best Buy, and the picture was fairly good. I realize that it's not a very good judge, as they're not usually calibrated correctly, but this is my first HDTV purchase and I think I'll be satisfied with it, especially because it's not too expensive (online around $1200 for the 42").

Edit: The only reservation I have about this unit is, I can't find many sources that review how well it does with SD material. Can anybody share any experiences or point me in the right direction?

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    @Ronen

Westinghouse LVM37-w3 here. It's a 1080p LCD monitor (37inch) like what you're talking about. It does a fine job with my NES and SNES, but the PS2 looks pretty bad most of the time. All the nastiness that is usually dulled by the round pixels in a SDTV are blindingly obvious on this screen.

woahbig.jpg

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Olevia, for great justice.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anything that has a contrast ratio of 4000:1 or higher. The higher the better.

Some say 1000:1 or better.. but I think they're color blind.

If the contrast ratio is too low the picture will look dark or light images will look washed out.

The lower the response time the better, 8ms or less is best.

I wouldn't worry too much about native resolution. 720p looks pretty damn good(1080i too). Unless you're going to get a giant screen 46"+ then 1080p might be a necessity.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    First, I swear I spent 10 minutes trying to use the Search feature to find one of the many threads like this that I know already exist.

I'm looking to buy a high def tv, 38-42". I'm willing to pay more for quality, but I don't want to get skunked just paying for a brand name.

Costco has some nice options, I was going to put in a link but I can't figure out to put a short link name so I HScroll to death.

Is 1080i ok for a tv that size? Is 1080p even an option for it? What questions do I not even know to ask?

Thanks in advance.

(a) The best thing about costco is being able to go there and look at all the TVs side by side. If something looks good to you, then it looks good to you. Don't sweat the stats too much.

(b) to see how to make a long url into a short link, hit the quote button and see the bbcode: some HDTV on costco's site

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Can I even get an Olevia TV when my only real options are Best Buy or Wal-Mart?

Also, I want to buy a semi-decent 42" LCD. I don't want to pay much more than $1,00, and 720p is fine for me. Can I do this, or am I living in a pipe dream?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Also, I want to buy a semi-decent 42" LCD. I don't want to pay much more than $1,00, and 720p is fine for me. Can I do this, or am I living in a pipe dream?

You can probably get Wal-Mart's brand 42" for no more than 1,000. I hear they're okay. I don't believe Olevia is at Best Buy or Wal-Mart, though. They do carry them at Target, however. Great TV's, those.

Although, the contrast ratio for my 37" Olevia is 1600:1. It looks great, but people keep saying you should get something with at least 4000:1. I saw a plasma with around 4000:1 to contrast ratio right next to my Olevia, and they both looked really sharp. I don't know if I'd say either one looked better than the other, they just looked slightly different. The plasma was, however, more expensive.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ashendark wrote: »

1000:1 is shit. 3000:1 is the very lowest I would consider, which is why I avoid most LCDs. Hell, a lot of LCDs I've seen are like 500:1. That's crazy-ugly.

Also consider that the contrast ratio on a CRT is effectively infinite, so if you want to see what the theoretical best contrast is, look at a CRT in a dimly lit room.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007

1000:1 is shit. 3000:1 is the very lowest I would consider, which is why I avoid most LCDs. Hell, a lot of LCDs I've seen are like 500:1. That's crazy-ugly.

Also consider that the contrast ratio on a CRT is effectively infinite, so if you want to see what the theoretical best contrast is, look at a CRT in a dimly lit room.

Is the rumor of plasma tv's not lasting more than a few years because they burn out (or something more techy) true?

tralev on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got a nice Toshiba television on the cheap, 26" widescreen for $650 and it is QUALITY. Might want to check out the pricing over at www.thehighdefinitionstore.com in their clearance section. Sometimes you can find really great deals.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Properly calibrated CRT front projectors are truly God's gift to home theater.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You can probably get Wal-Mart's brand 42" for no more than 1,000. I hear they're okay. I don't believe Olevia is at Best Buy or Wal-Mart, though. They do carry them at Target, however. Great TV's, those.

Although, the contrast ratio for my 37" Olevia is 1600:1. It looks great, but people keep saying you should get something with at least 4000:1. I saw a plasma with around 4000:1 to contrast ratio right next to my Olevia, and they both looked really sharp. I don't know if I'd say either one looked better than the other, they just looked slightly different. The plasma was, however, more expensive.

Oooooh, Target. Completely forgot about that. Thanks!

I haven't looked yet, but I'm not too worried about contrast ratio... then again, I'm a non-picky guy that can't really get excited about 1080p for (relatively) smaller sets.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Olevia is ok for the money. But I wouldn't recommend it if pricing was equal to some other brands. If you check the normal deal sites fatwallet, slickdeals, you can sometimes get a really nice discount on some nicer tvs.

solsovly on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

If the contrast ratio is too low the picture will look dark or light images will look washed out.

Contrast ratio is the spec I trust the least, thanks to everyone fudging their numbers with "dynamic" contrast. You really have to see it in person.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Low contrast is what's kept me away from LCD for so long. I'm truly spoiled by my CRT HDTV.

(However price is what's kept me away from the newer high contrast LCDs.)

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    harvest wrote: »
    @Ronen

Westinghouse LVM37-w3 here. It's a 1080p LCD monitor (37inch) like what you're talking about. It does a fine job with my NES and SNES, but the PS2 looks pretty bad most of the time. All the nastiness that is usually dulled by the round pixels in a SDTV are blindingly obvious on this screen.

Picture

Woo, thanks for the feedback. Is the SD performance going to bother me if it's my first HDTV? I'll be hooking up the HD cable box via component, so I figure it couldn't be toooo bad.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    edited May 2007

You know, I really don't care too much about the TV being a flat panel one - maybe a DLP is the way to go. What about this guy? Sony 46" WEGA HD

tralev on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Low contrast is what's kept me away from LCD for so long. I'm truly spoiled by my CRT HDTV.

What CRT HDTV do you have? That's what I'm most interested in-I don't need a huge TV, just something that approximates a 27' 4:3 TV, and as I understand it, CRT is better in quality and in price, with only the weight and formfactor being the downsides.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Purchased myself a Samsung 55" DLP HDTV about a year ago, for $1,200. Had the HD tuner built in.

Guess it helped I worked for Best Buy (at the time) and got a $1,300 discount on it. ;)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

You know, I really don't care too much about the TV being a flat panel one - maybe a DLP is the way to go. What about this guy? Sony 46" WEGA HD

That TV looks to be the current iteration of the TV I have, and assuming they didn't fuck anything up in the intervening years, it's a really great set. Sony's Grand Wegas are of high quality and have great fit and finish, as well as excellent feel and control. They also look sexy.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

What CRT HDTV do you have? That's what I'm most interested in-I don't need a huge TV, just something that approximates a 27' 4:3 TV, and as I understand it, CRT is better in quality and in price, with only the weight and formfactor being the downsides.

Coincidentally enough, I have a 27' 4:3 HDTV. :P It's an Advent (this one). but I have no idea where to find one at retail these days.

It's served me well, has a 16:9 mode where it compresses the scanlines... there's never any upscaling, so it's great for gaming, but the digital comb filter can be really rough on composite video. The thing cost me about $400 about a year and a half ago. The sound sucks, but you can pick up either a legitimate audio receiver or hook up a boom-box through the headphone output on the front. Also, only 2 component video inputs, no HDMI or DVI, so be prepared to pick up a component video switcher.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, I'm still shopping around. I'm not looking for a TV over 46", want to go either DLP or Rear Projection LCD. I'm looking at either one of these two TVs but neither one of their contrast ratios seem that good. Thoughts on these guys?

Sony Grand WEGA

Or

Samsung

tralev on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, I'm still shopping around. I'm not looking for a TV over 46", want to go either DLP or Rear Projection LCD. I'm looking at either one of these two TVs but neither one of their contrast ratios seem that good. Thoughts on these guys?

Sony Grand WEGA

Or

Samsung

I was looking at the Westinghouse earlier in the thread, and I recently (and completely out of nowhere) ended up with a 37" Toshiba Regza, model 37HL67. I've had it for about a week now and I'm extremely happy with it. It only does up to 1080i (although it accepts 1080p signals), but after staring at a lot of different brands, I didn't think I'd really miss it and I don't. In my opinion, you don't need 1080p for anything under about 45". 720p works fantastically up until there.

I'm incredibly pleased so far, but I do have one question. Currently, I have my HD-DVR cable box hooked up via the component cables it came with, but it also has support for HDMI. It looks great (it's the standard Optimum HD box, 1080i), but due to a slip up at Monoprice, I've ended up with a spare HDMI cable. My sound isn't going through my TV, so is there any reason to use HDMI instead of component?

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    DravalenDravalen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If your looking at westinghouse do yourself a favor and check out the TX series. I just bought the 42" from bestbuy for $1400 and change out the door. So far the thing is beautiful, 1080p and good contrast/black levels.

The AVS forum is also a good place to browse, lots of info but take it with a grain of salt, here's the thread for the TX series: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=851860

Dravalen on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just in case anyone is looking for a cheap, large LCD TV, I thought I'd share my experience:

Got a 42" refurbished vizio GV42L LCD from pcmall.com for $800 (now $700 I believe, and I think a cousin is available new at Walmart for $900, Bestbuy $1000). Picture had no dead pixels and compared reasonably well to anything I'd seen on a store floor.

However, the stand had a small crack in it that caused the TV to lead about 10 degrees forward, and it took them 5 fucking weeks (and about 10 phone calls) to send me a new stand. God forbid I had to return the actual TV.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have this
    I would have sex with it if I could. Also, if you know someone who works at Best Buy their discount is wicked good on these TVs.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Sony Grand WEGA

Or

Samsung

I'd get the Samsung. Better quality, and a 3 year warranty.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    harvest wrote: »
    @Ronen

big picture

azumanga daioh :^:

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    lostcawzlostcawz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Westinghouse sets are quality in terms of lasting a long time but the picture is signifigantly worse than the better brands (because of contrast ratio primarily).

Samsung is my favorite overall as the new LCDs contrast ratios are 7000 and 8000 to 1 (on the 32" sets). Toshiba is almost as good and generally cost less. LG makes a nice set as well. Sony's LCDs have a great picture but they charge quite a bit more than the others.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the refresh rates on the lower end manufacturers aren't up to snuff even if the rate is said to be the standard 8ms or so.

Also, since contrast ratio isn't standardized one company's 8000:1 isn't the same as anothers. Best to find a place where you can see many sets for yourself to decide.

Costco and Sam's frequently purchase old models to keep the price down. Not always a big deal but in the case of HDTVs the technology is getting better fast enough (contrast, refresh, hdmi inputs, etc) that the most current models are the way to go imo.

lostcawz on
    Vantheron: Captain on Landroval
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Right now all my consoles are hooked up to my 21" computer monitor. While nice, it's kind of a pain in the ass as far as cabling goes and it's, well, small. So I was thinking I'd reorganize my room to have a nice wall-hanging HDTV for my consoles and my old monitor for just the computer; somewhere in the 40" to 48" range I think.

One of my problems among many though is cabling; it seems like with the TV right against the wall hooking up three consoles and an AV receiver into it would be a small nightmare. How does the cabling for these sorts of TVs typically work? All underneath/sides/top or something, or would I have to make holes in the wall to get it behind the TV or something?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Right now all my consoles are hooked up to my 21" computer monitor. While nice, it's kind of a pain in the ass as far as cabling goes and it's, well, small. So I was thinking I'd reorganize my room to have a nice wall-hanging HDTV for my consoles and my old monitor for just the computer; somewhere in the 40" to 48" range I think.

One of my problems among many though is cabling; it seems like with the TV right against the wall hooking up three consoles and an AV receiver into it would be a small nightmare. How does the cabling for these sorts of TVs typically work? All underneath/sides/top or something, or would I have to make holes in the wall to get it behind the TV or something?

For the cabling on my new setup (which I'm tempted to take pictures of and post, even though I've never done so before), I bought one of these and 50 of these. For the Ikea unit, I left the back off so I could easily run the cables, but you can always just put the back on and cut wholes in it as needed.

The TV goes on the top (obviously) with my Mac Mini on one side of it and my Wii (horizontally) on the other. Inside goes receiver, cable box, center speaker (I know, I know, I can't hang it yet) and wireless keyboard/mouse/Wiimotes. The shelves are adjustable to fit your stuff and it looks really awesome. I didn't use all 50 of the cable ties, but I did go a little overboard.

Personally, I think the cables are hidden enough that I don't particularly need to hang the TV to get it much cleaner. I also happen to like how my TV's stand looks, so YMMV.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Man this is hard. I like this one, I'm willing to spend more, but 50" seems a little large.

Sony 50" SXRD

tralev on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man this is hard. I like this one, I'm willing to spend more, but 50" seems a little large.

Sony 50" SXRD

if 50 is too big go for 46

46 Bravia LCD

for a few hundred more I think you can nab the XBR.

Once again, I am very pleased with my 40" XBR2 and recommend getting either it or its 46" cousin.

I'm such a shill.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ronen wrote: »
    I'm looking into something like the Westinghouse LVM24-w2 for my next TV purchase, even though it's not really a TV. It's a 42" monitor with full 1080p support and all the inputs I'll ever need.

I'm only going to be watching content from either a HD cable box or my living room Mac Mini, so lack of a built-in TV decoder doesn't bother me. I saw the 47" and 37" models in the same line at Best Buy, and the picture was fairly good. I realize that it's not a very good judge, as they're not usually calibrated correctly, but this is my first HDTV purchase and I think I'll be satisfied with it, especially because it's not too expensive (online around $1200 for the 42").

Edit: The only reservation I have about this unit is, I can't find many sources that review how well it does with SD material. Can anybody share any experiences or point me in the right direction?

OMG WANT.

I have a 26" CRT 1080i HDTV, and while it gives a decent HD picture its nothing close to what thing would get me.

I can't afford it, even so cheap, so I have a perhaps unrelated question to anyone that would be so kind as to answer.

My CRT is in need of some major adjustments, the picture tube is a little off in every direction and it makes the HD signal fuzzy and the colors bleed a little. Should I get a professional to come out and tune it (and if so, how much does it usually cost?) or should I invest in some sort of DVD software and calibrate it myself by going into the advanced menus? (this scares me)

Shurakai on