As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LttP: Seaman

thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, so I passed on the Dreamcast when it first came out. Shortly after it's so called death, I picked one or two up for cheap. I played many good games for the Dreamcast, but there has always been one that I've wanted to play more than the others, Seaman. I just ordered a copy with everything I need on eBay, so I can't wait to try it out, but was wondering what everyone else thinks about this game?
The below has been stolen from Wikipedia...

Premise
The "Seaman"' is apparently some form of freshwater fish (the color and shape of the fins suggest that it is a Carp) with a very lifelike human face. Along with its human face, it possesses human mannerisms and behavior which the player must regulate and respond to.

Seaman was considered a unique video game in that there is really nothing in the way of action. The player's job is to feed and care for Seaman, while providing him with the company that he needs. One of the most interesting portions of game is Seaman's knowledge of random trivia. An example would be when he asks you what the player's birthday is (and the player responds via the microphone input), the Seaman will inform him of anything significant that happened on that date, such as what his astrological sign is, what day of the week he was born, and a variety of other facts about that date.

The Seaman is apparently domesticated, but this does not prevent it from insulting the player or constructing less than friendly remarks. (Players should note: It is not a wise idea to address Seaman as "Semen".)

Story
Official explanation lifted from the manual and various sites:
Once long ago in Egypt's third dynasty, there was a man, who fell in love with a priest’s daughter. This man was the son of the Pharaoh, who disapproved of his son's relationship with the priest's daughter. The Priest sought help from Tahuti (Thoth), who was the god of wisdom.
Thoth was depicted as a man with the head of an ibis bird, and carried a pen and scrolls upon which he recorded all things. He was shown as attendant in almost all major scenes involving the gods, but especially at the judgement of the deceased.

Thoth had turned the man and his lover into a fish creature and a bird. The man became the fish, and his lover became a bird. Both had vanished. The priest who at the time was in charge of the construction of the pyramids, asked Thoth if they were to ever return. The Pharaoh asked if the priest could build a landmark that could act as a beacon, so that one day the couple could return.

Thousands of years later Professor William Southerland, the director of the Anthro-Bio Archaeological Research Institute in France had announced to the international media that there was a strong possibility that the creature "Seaman" was very much related to the origin of Ancient Egyptian civilizations.

Later, a man named Jean-Paul Gasse was the first scientist to research the Seaman creature, and is in a sense the creature's discoverer. Gasse found himself in an expedition around the area of the Nile River, investigating the biological ecosystem of the river. Gasse found mutated bone fragments by the river. All of bone fragments shared common characteristics, they all seemed to have mutated suddenly and over a short period of time in order to adapt to the changing Nile Valley.

The fragments correlated with Hieroglyphics found on the ruins of pyramid walls dating back to the ancient third dynasty. While trying to reproduce Seaman's region and environment Gasse continued making experimental mistakes the lab-based aquarium. Gasse realized that Seaman was no ordinary creature. This creature's face is just like that of a human being. He then gave them a name "Sea-man", or man of the sea.

J4ku.png
thej3w on

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Brilliant game. One of my favorite for the dreamcast.

I love that they got Nimoy to narrate.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have found memories of Seaman.
    I never could get very far, though. Never made it to land.
    I'd love to see a new one, or hell just a re-release, for one of the current systems. It would make for a great DS game.

Oh, that story, serious crack.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LOVED Seaman. Weirdest game ever made and disturbing as all hell.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wasn't Seaman 2 confirmed for PS2. But you were like God, controlling a caveman or something?

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The story of me finishing the game still lives on to this day.
    I was playing the game we had running in our dorm room one random afternoon. Everyone had been helping to work on this one guys creature over the course of many many weeks. I just figured I'd pop it on for a little while, feed him, keep him happy, and then go to class. Little did I know that the game was close to being over. Seaman was hopping around when he walked up to the glass and said something along the lines of "Thank you for everything you've done. If you ever want to just talk come back and say hello." The back of the cage fell down, the jungle was revealed, and the guy hopped away to be happy and free. I sat there in shock thinking "oh crap, how do I explain this one to <game owner>. When he came back and saw what I had done he yelled a little bit and was pissy that he missed the end of what he'd been working on for a while.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    olol

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Seaman remake for the Wii.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So what was the object of the game? What exactly happens in the game? Is it like some kind of upgraded tomigotchi?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So what was the object of the game? What exactly happens in the game? Is it like some kind of upgraded tomigotchi?

Pretty much. With cannibilism and incest.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Pretty much. With cannibilism and incest.

Sexy.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    sluggosluggo Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Ahhh, Seaman. You can turn back the DC clock to undo any mistakes you may make along the way.
    Such as starving Seaman to death, cooking him, freezing him, or getting lazy and feeding him a poisonous spider. Though I never recovered from the last one. I didn't even know the game had an ending.

sluggo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, I hated those damn spiders. I have a relatively calm arachnophobic problem but when the bastards were hanging inside the front of the aquarium it freaked me right the fuck out.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    How long does it take to start being able to talk to him? I don't want to stare at something for a long time and not be able to speak.

Also am I able to leave the game on all the time, or does it need to be turned off and on for certain things to happen?

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    thej3w wrote: »
    How long does it take to start being able to talk to him? I don't want to stare at something for a long time and not be able to speak.

Also am I able to leave the game on all the time, or does it need to be turned off and on for certain things to happen?

Important things happen when you first turn it on. You can turn it off, just check in about twice a day or more.

He talks in about 3-4 days but you can talk to him sooner.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So I couldn't really leave it up on my TV and act like it's a real aquarium, without things not happening? Or has anyone really not tried this before?

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    thej3w wrote: »
    So I couldn't really leave it up on my TV and act like it's a real aquarium, without things not happening? Or has anyone really not tried this before?

I would think it WOULD work. But I myself have never tried it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I shall try, and post my results then.

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I ran out of food for mine. Last words were something like, "I should have eaten you." :(

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I got Odama recently (made by same bloke) and really enjoy it, I would be hawt for a seaman 2, but I imagine the original's really expensive these days, and I heard it's pretty bad with English Accents.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I got Odama recently (made by same bloke) and really enjoy it, I would be hawt for a seaman 2, but I imagine the original's really expensive these days, and I heard it's pretty bad with English Accents.

I got mine, with mic, for $1.99 when EBGames was clearing out their Dreamcast section.

Man, I got a ton of great shit for cheap during those days.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

There's no English accents. Seaman has a weird accent but it's not English.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I meant for mic input, and by English, I mean British

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone know if you can use just the D-Pad for this game, or does it need the analog stick as well?

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My Seaman was always annoyed with me, and I didn't know why. Also, he would hardly talk.

For my part, I resented the responsibility of having to play the game every day.

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

So fake a Texan drawl.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Saddler wrote: »
    My Seaman was always annoyed with me, and I didn't know why. Also, he would hardly talk.

For my part, I resented the responsibility of having to play the game every day.

Did you keep the temperature good? That usually pissed them right off.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    lets start an online petition for seaman ds because devs look at the petitions if you get enough signatures olol we can make a difference

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ran out of food for mine and it died before I could feed it again, and this was like 2 months in.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

All the more reason for you to buy it. It can teach you to talk right.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

All the more reason for you to buy it. It can teach you to talk right.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aluminium

Aloo-min-ium

Really not that hard.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really really hope Seaman 2 makes it outside of Japan.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's an "I" in aluminum? Huh. That was one I didn't know. Makes sense though.

Cookie.

Cookie.

None of this "biscuit" nonsense.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    There's an "I" in aluminum? Huh. That was one I didn't know. Makes sense though.

Cookie.

Cookie.

Seriously, don't ever try and teach an Englishman English.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Avoid SpikesAvoid Spikes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I had just started working long hours at a law firm when I got Seaman. I remember having this exchange with the little bastard:

Seaman: "What do you do for a living?"
    Me: "I'm a lawyer."
    S: "You're a lawyer?"
    M: "Yes."
    S: "Shouldn't you be billing more hours?"

This convinced me that my Dreamcast was not only artificially intelligent, but also kind of a jerk.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seaman also had some cool little facts dependant on if the game was on on certain holidays. I had it on Columbus day and he said that "I knew Columbus. Had a terrible sense of direction. Ask for directions to India and wound up in Madrid."

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I had just started working long hours at a law firm when I got Seaman. I remember having this exchange with the little bastard:

Seaman: "What do you do for a living?"
    Me: "I'm a lawyer."
    S: "You're a lawyer?"
    M: "Yes."
    S: "Shouldn't you be billing more hours?"

This convinced me that my Dreamcast was not only artificially intelligent, but also kind of a jerk.

Shit like this is why I love the game. Some of the best AI ever in a game.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Cookie.

Cookie.

Neither should you try and teach an American how to speak American. cryingeagle.gif

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Cookie.

Cookie.

Neither should you try and teach an American how to speak American. cryingeagle.gif

I didn't

LewieP on
  • Options
    OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seaman, to this day, is still one of my favorite games of all time. The idea that I am able to hold an intellectual conversation with some kind of crazy mutant man-fish fascinates me to no end.

OmegaVelocity on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Cookie.

Cookie.

Off topic anecdote follows: While I was in Iraq I was standing in the chow hall line. There was a British soldier in front of me. Even though we ordered the same food (Cheesburger, fries, and something else) you would not have thought so if you overheard us.

Also what is the proper response to "Cheers, mate". Normally Americans, if they say anything at all to each other when they pass by, its just "Hey".

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.