As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars is 30 years old now.

• Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    dru is pushin at least mid 30s duders
    i bet he doesn't like wearing pants either
    must be a generational thing

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh and it looks like the Jedi are somehow based off of Samurai of ancient Japan... good thing we have the History Channel to tell us.

Vader's helmet always felt rather samurai-esque to me.

(Roman?)

Defender on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    hey did you guys ever see the hidden fortress

Knob on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Starfuck wrote: »
    dru is pushin at least mid 30s duders
    i bet he doesn't like wearing pants either
    must be a generational thing

If I were trying to cling to my youth I could think of better ways to do it than post here.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Knob wrote: »

Yeah, the scene in the beginning where they get picked up by the Jawas is great.

Defender on
  • Options
    MildQuixoticMildQuixotic ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Hidden Fortress blows and I love kurosawa

MildQuixotic on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

No, but I hear it makes a lot of omages to Star Wars. Those Japanese need to start being more original. Kurosawa's not very creative sometimes, always ripping off westerns and such.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You blow and you love dick to blow on and slurp on and get semen all over your face

Defender on
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

No, but I hear it makes a lot of omages to Star Wars. Those Japanese need to start being more original. Kurosawa's not very creative sometimes, always ripping off westerns and such.

homage

Skull Man on
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Trexy wrote: »
    I liked the kinda clumsy light saber fights from the original star wars.
    It made it seem so much more realistic.
    Fuck all the flipping around light saber fighting.

I liked all the saber fighting from the first three. There was an intensity about them where you could see that the actors had some training and some adrenaline and really didn't want to get hit in the face with these metal bars. You can read the tension in their body language, and it makes the fight look so much more believable.

The new fights, except for that one Maul fight, suck ass and look silly.

There’s a reason people don’t flip and spin when sword fighting outside of starwars.
    You get stabbed when you try to.

Trexy on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    I would give a ballsack to have been there opening night in 1977

Why?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Why?
    I can tell you from personal experience there was something special about seeing it during the first run.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why?

because some people believe that movies are better when the theater is full of clapping and laughing and screaming faggots

potatoe on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why?

Yeah. It might have been fun, but worth your ballsack? Seriously?

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    we kinda got really lucky that star wars was a good movie

try reading some of the early scripts, and then listen to dudes talk about how luke and leia were supposed to be midgets and stuff like that

Knob on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why?

I guess my experiences are colored by hindsight- but my parents always told me how it was an amazing experience in the 70s' to be seeing those special effects, and I can see that as being the case. Plus, its star wars

MildQuixotic on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why?

You see there are some people who aren't miserable bastards Keith
    Just trust that they exist

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Skull Man wrote: »
    guess what

george lucas says empire was the worst one

George Lucas has no right to tell us what a bad movie is after he made the prequels.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    potatoe wrote: »

Why?

because some people believe that movies are better when the theater is full of clapping and laughing and screaming faggots
    See, what you're failing to realize is that this was before everyone knew what Star Wars was. So there were no fans yet, which meant no faggots dressed like storm troopers or jedi. Just normal people going to see a film that was getting a lot of good word of mouth.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    BusterK wrote: »

Why?

are you saying keith is a miserable bastard?

are you?

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    BusterK wrote: »

Why?

leave him to his cynicism, he shall extract all the joy he needs from the marrow of his fallen foes.

Or...maybe he will just continue to lead an unfulfilling life who can tell

MildQuixotic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Movie magic is a wonderful thing sometimes.
    One year I was supposed to help this group do a video presentation on eating disorders.
    During production, the theme was shifted to guys don’t care about your eating disorders, just videogames.
    We got a 98%

Trexy on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007

Why?

I guess my experiences are colored by hindsight- but my parents always told me how it was an amazing experience in the 70s' to be seeing those special effects, and I can see that as being the case. Plus, its star wars

Well, then you'd have to give your ballsack to erase your memory of better special effects

And man, that's gonna cost more than you're ballsack

I mean, I can do this for you

but just for a ballsack no way

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Druhim wrote: »

Why?

See, what you're failing to realize is that this was before everyone knew what Star Wars was. So there were no fans yet, which meant no faggots dressed like storm troopers or jedi. Just normal people going to see a film that was getting a lot of good word of mouth.

i guess that's true

i tend to forget that there was a time before people reading about and watching previews for movies on the internet for a year before it even comes out

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I liked all the saber fighting from the first three. There was an intensity about them where you could see that the actors had some training and some adrenaline and really didn't want to get hit in the face with these metal bars. You can read the tension in their body language, and it makes the fight look so much more believable.

There’s a reason people don’t flip and spin when sword fighting outside of starwars.

I don't even care if it's "realistic" form or not. Like, OK, let's see here. They should not have been fighting two-handed. Realistically, those handles didn't look very heavy and the blades were weightless, so that balanced the weight in your hand. With weight and balance like that, plus an energy blade that cuts through just about anything with great ease, your stances and moves should resemble modern sport fencing. Minimize your target area, maximize your reach, weapon speed, and mobility, sacrificing power for speed and precision.

So I don't really care that they're using their fictional energy swords in ways that theoretically would be much less than optimal. What matters to me is what Bruce Lee called the "emotional substance" of their movements. In the old movies, they looked like they were really fighting. Their bodies tensed and their moves were imperfect in the way that real fencing, boxing, or whatever actually looks. In the new trilogy, it looked more like they were dancing around with glowsticks than actually fighting. With the exception of Darth Maul, because I guess he's just used to that sort of choreography and can sell it properly.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Druhim wrote: »

Why?

i guess that's true

i tend to forget that there was a time before people reading about and watching previews for movies on the internet for a year before it even comes out
    Yeah, that too. We just had the previews that had played in theaters, the posters, and occasional news about it to go off of.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    we kinda got really lucky that star wars was a good movie

try reading some of the early scripts, and then listen to dudes talk about how luke and leia were supposed to be midgets and stuff like that

"Accidental masterpiece."

That said, didn't he write Indiana Jones? Because that was pretty good.

Defender on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

I don't even care if it's "realistic" form or not. Like, OK, let's see here. They should not have been fighting two-handed. Realistically, those handles didn't look very heavy and the blades were weightless, so that balanced the weight in your hand. With weight and balance like that, plus an energy blade that cuts through just about anything with great ease, your stances and moves should resemble modern sport fencing. Minimize your target area, maximize your reach, weapon speed, and mobility, sacrificing power for speed and precision.

So I don't really care that they're using their fictional energy swords in ways that theoretically would be much less than optimal. What matters to me is what Bruce Lee called the "emotional substance" of their movements. In the old movies, they looked like they were really fighting. Their bodies tensed and their moves were imperfect in the way that real fencing, boxing, or whatever actually looks. In the new trilogy, it looked more like they were dancing around with glowsticks than actually fighting. With the exception of Darth Maul, because I guess he's just used to that sort of choreography and can sell it properly.

Defender you're so cool.

We should totally hang out and point out obvious flaws sometime.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    George Lucas is a great conceptualizer and producer who, unfortunately, cannot write to save his life.

MildQuixotic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why?

Did you see The Matrix when it was new?

That was jaw-dropping at the time. On multiple levels.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why?

yeah I agree, but I guess The Matrix didn't become nostalgia for me like star wars because of the age.

Seeing Star Wars for the first time was like going to disney world

MildQuixotic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

to a certain extent

obi wan facing down vader in sw was pretty bad. it was two old men hitting each other with sticks, and it showed (well, i guess david prowse wasn't that old, but you get the idea)

both of the luke/vader showdowns were amazing

Knob on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why?

I never thought that.

Thought it was a pretty cool movie though.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

to a certain extent

obi wan facing down vader in sw was pretty bad. it was two old men hitting each other with sticks, and it showed (well, i guess david prowse wasn't that old, but you get the idea)

that wasn't a real fight, though

obi-wan never intended to win, and I don't think vader ever thought obi-wan would go down that easily

he was probably remembering the last time he got cocky

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why?

Oh man

When I saw the Matrix, I didn;t know shit about it. Hadn't seen a preview or heard anybody mention it. I was hanging around and this dude was all, 'i'm gonna go see this movie, it's a sci fi movie, supposed to be good, come with'

and holy shit

Knob on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I think part of it was that Darth Maul seemed to be everywhere at once.
    Everyone else seems to enjoy doing a backwards flip, where taking one step backwards would do.

Trexy on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I heard a story of a projectionist who was really looking forward to it invited some friends over for the screening to see if the film isn't scratched
    His friends told some people
    and they told some more people
    and eventually there were a hundred or so people at this illegal screening

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why?

Oh man

When I saw the Matrix, I didn;t know shit about it. Hadn't seen a preview or heard anybody mention it. I was hanging around and this dude was all, 'i'm gonna go see this movie, it's a sci fi movie, supposed to be good, come with'

and holy shit

i had never even heard of it until a buddy of mine put the dvd in his home theater system

i nearly cried after it was over

would have been nice to see it in theaters

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why?

Oh man

and holy shit

I first saw it when my friend said "this movie is cool" and at first I thought "man this is boring", but I was like 12 so it wasn't really for me

then I don't think I really watched it for like 3 years and then i liked it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »

Why?

I never thought that.

Thought it was a pretty cool movie though.

I had a bunch of friends who, despite being really smart science-y guys, had somehow never considered that the entire world is defined solely by your perception. I guess they never read Descartes and it never occurred to them naturally that information is all that the mind has.

And the visuals were just totally awesome, come on.

to a certain extent

Yeah, the Obi-Wan fight was nothing special. The two-second bar fight with him was better. The Luke/Vader fights are the parts of the series that really touched a nerve with me. Hell, they are probably a good portion of why I started fencing as a kid.

Defender on