As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LTTP] Suikoden

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I couldn't get into III because of the weird battle system and the incredibly annoying *CRUNCH*CRUNCH*CRUNCH* anytime you walked anyway. It's like they were paving the roads with corn chips or something.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like how my castle is still little more than a glorified cave, yet I have a freaking elevator. That's class.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    I like how my castle is still little more than a glorified cave, yet I have a freaking elevator. That's class.

Wait till the castle is finished.

IT IS GLORIOUS

edit:

I just remembered a pretty great story of my childhood regarding Suikoden:

(Important info: I live in Germany)
    Suikoden 1 was the first RPG I ever played on the PS1.
    It was completely in English cause no one wanted to localize such an unknown game.
    I bought it because I saw the Boxart in a magazine and thought it looked cool.
    I was 12 at that time I think.
    So when I got the game I fell in love with it and couldn't stop playing.

Now a few years later, my best friends (twins) and me imported Suikoden 2.
    The NTSC version.
    When it finally arrived and we started the game,it was in black & white cause we lacked the NTSC capable PS1 cable.
    So what do we do? We phone around some stores to ask them if they have such a cable.
    Only 1 store had it. It was a 2 hour trip by bike away. So a 4 hour trip in total.
    We get the cable and have to ride back through a rainstorm.
    When we finally arrived at home, we can bask in the glory of full color Suikoden 2.
    For one hour. Cause I had to go home.
    But we felt awesome. And the entire next weeks were filled with us beating the game in a 100% run.
    It was one of the best times of my life.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Also, it is an awesome part in the game when your dad comes back:
    Pahn!!!

I loved the fact that the story continued whether Pahn won or lost the fight. I remember the goosebumps i had after realising that he could actually survive that fight

2 is my personal favourite. The music, story and characters cements it as a great RPG for me.

Stuartenhaffen on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    good times

Suikoden was my first PSX RPG as well. It was shortly after my friend had recieved a PS1 for Christmas so we went to the video store and ended up renting Suikoden for whatever reason. We run back to his place and pop it into the PSX. The only problem was that he didn't own a memory card. So over the course of a day we played up to the part where you fight the Zombie Dragon and died, having to start over from scratch.

Three times.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikodens 1 and 2 are glorious. 2 was the perfect More of the Same sequel - everything the first game did, and most of it better (though I maintain the first game has the better soundtrack). Simply the most unobtrusive way of handling random battles in its generation: auto-battle, attacks happening simultaneously, being able to bribe or let go enemies; just great stuff all around. Duels and army battles were fun in both games, and the stories were nice changes of pace from the typical JRPG 'save the world' plot.

3, I'm kinda torn about. The game, as it is, is fairly enjoyable, but it takes a few steps back even considering its improvements; for instance, the skill system was good, but the pairing system for battles was lame. Duels were better, army battles were worse. Three heroes was a nice touch, but for me they were a lot less interesting than Thomas and his chapters (which was more like the previous games in terms of flow). The castle-building was criminally neutered, and the plot in general was kind of a letdown. It was good enough to play through to the end, but I just haven't been drawn back for a replay like I was with the first two.

Never did play 4 after hearing all the flak it took; might pick it up cheap someday and see how bad it is for myself. 5 I've avoided only because my console backlog is already intimidating.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Suikoden 1 was the first RPG I ever played on the PS1.

Me too. It might have been the first RPG I've ever played if I didn't get a SNES before then (my memory is a bit blurred of that time frame).

I was either going to buy Suikoden or Tales of Destiny. I'm glad I made the right choice despite the goofy cover art.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    good times

Suikoden was my first PSX RPG as well. It was shortly after my friend had recieved a PS1 for Christmas so we went to the video store and ended up renting Suikoden for whatever reason. We run back to his place and pop it into the PSX. The only problem was that he didn't own a memory card. So over the course of a day we played up to the part where you fight the Zombie Dragon and died, having to start over from scratch.

Three times.

Oh god. That is at the same time sad and awesome.

Here's a great movie mixed together with all Suikoden games.
    The Suikoden soundtrack was always WONDERFUL.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jAQcovFIuXg

Oh and here's the European boxart for Suikoden 1.
    This made me buy the game:

suikoden_1_1.jpg

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Heh, that guy's name is Lepant.

...lol, Lepant.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    good times

Three times.

Oh god. That is at the same time sad and awesome.

Here's a great movie mixed together with all Suikoden games.
    The Suikoden soundtrack was always WONDERFUL.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jAQcovFIuXg

Oh and here's the European boxart for Suikoden 1.
    This made me buy the game:

suikoden_1_1.jpg

In the US, we got a horrendously hideous Americanization that would make Strider jealous.

198843_28033_front.jpg

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Haha - I was just going to point out how bad the US art was. Luckily, I'd already read about the game in a magazine by the time it came out here, so I already knew I wanted to play it. Plus the fact that at the time the PS1 was literally starving for RPG's, so even if it didn't turn out as good as it did many people would have probably picked it up anyway.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SimBen wrote:
    In the US, we got a horrendously hideous Americanization that would make Strider jealous.

We did get the japanese box art.
    In the form of a mural in the game.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It was also the cover of the book, so we didn't totally miss out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was absolutely in love with Suikoden III. I remember playing it all through Christmas break back in the day.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm. I changed my avatar due to events before the current oDaM Phalla (for future reference it was Miklotov from II), but haven't played any of the games. In the process, I did some research on the games, and I've gotten interested in playing one. Seems like people are backing up the conventional wisdom that I and II were quite nice, III less so and IV not so much, with V stepping back up. If I find the time and funding, I'll have to search one of the games out.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, I personally like Suikoden III the best, but then again, that's the one I started with. The way the story moves back and forth between the various characters gives the plot a certain variety that the others lacked. That system sort of spoiled me. Not to mention there are some amazing, amazing characters in that one, especially the three main characters.

I played Suikoden II next (I happened to find the game for $50) and really enjoyed it, though I was annoyed how specific the requirements were to get the good ending (but man was it an amazing ending). I liked the combat a bit better, though there definitely some things about III that I missed.

Then, strangely, I played I. It was interesting, both throughout II and through I seeing the story backwards, or in otherwords, seeing characters that I was used to seeing in III where they were previously. Lucia was especially interesting in II, and seeing Luc in such a lowly role in I was extremely interesting to me. However, after getting through Suikoden I once in order to get all 108 stars and get the good save file for II, I realized I would never ever want to play it again--it's not a bad game, but II and III advanced the series enough that it was hard to play I after those.

IV was a similar story for me. If I wasn't a huge fan of the series there was no way I would have made it through the whole game, especially enough to get the 108 stars ending. Just dull in a certain way and the random encounter rate was through the roof. It wasn't Skies of Arcadia bad, but it was bad.

I've really loved what I've played so far of V---it may have my favorite story in the series so far as of yet. I found myself a bit annoyed by the real time battles, but other than that the game is pure gold. However, I just haven't been able to pick it back up since putting it down several months ago. Of course, it's in good company since the same thing has happened to a bunch of RPG's since that point, most notably Final Fantasy XII and Grandia III.

I'm hoping that Suikoden VI (if it ends up being made) will end up being after III as opposed to these sequels/prequels all over the map because I'd like to see the continuation of some of the stories that were developed by III.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KimFidler wrote: »
    I was absolutely in love with Suikoden III. I remember playing it all through Christmas break back in the day.

I remember that before Suikoden III I was completely against modern RPGs not being fully voice acted. Who the fuck wants to read, right? For some reason it was incredibly well-written, and watching it's cutscenes was like reading a novel, where you kind of get sucked in and your brain fills in the missing information. Absolutely wonderful game, one of the Top 3 RPGs alltime on the PS2.

If only Suikoden IV hadn't sucked so bad. I still need to pick up Suikoden V, though, heard some good things about it.

Edit: Commented about FFVII, which I was beginning to play around the same time, but decided would be confusing and off the point.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I remember that before Suikoden III I was completely against modern RPGs not being fully voice acted, which is why I never got far in FFVII. Who the fuck wants to read, right? For some reason it was incredibly well-written, and watching it's cutscenes was like reading a novel, where you kind of get sucked in and your brain fills in the missing information. Absolutely wonderful game, one of the Top 3 RPGs alltime on the PS2.

If only Suikoden IV hadn't sucked so bad. I still need to pick up Suikoden V, though, heard some good things about it.

O_o

Umm... when FFVII was new, what RPGs WHERE voice acted?

LockeCole on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

I remember that before Suikoden III I was completely against modern RPGs not being fully voice acted, which is why I never got far in FFVII. Who the fuck wants to read, right? For some reason it was incredibly well-written, and watching it's cutscenes was like reading a novel, where you kind of get sucked in and your brain fills in the missing information. Absolutely wonderful game, one of the Top 3 RPGs alltime on the PS2.

O_o

Nothing mainstream, that's for sure. Mostly Saturn and Sega CD ones to my knowledge.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

O_o

Nothing mainstream, that's for sure. Mostly Saturn and Sega CD ones to my knowledge.

I never played it when it was new, only before Suikoden III. I wasn't a big RPG fan then, and didn't like it because the scenes just seemed too "silent", regardless of the music. I needed more emotion. Games like Xenosaga and Dark Cloud 2 and FFX were more what I wanted, more cinematic, but Suikoden overcame that barrier with incredible grace.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread is going to make me start playing Suikoden III all over again.

Favorite in the series, and the whole mounted combat was a lot of fun, especially when you have Franz, Hugo, and Futch all in one party with their respective mounts.

All devastating everything in your path.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Suikoden was way ahead of it's time. It had a fantastic story and just did everything right.

Javen on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Are there any rumors of a sixth one yet?

Konami have untitled RPG's in development for both the PS3 and the Wii. One of them will probably be Suikoden (and hopefully the other will be Vandal Hearts).

Anyway, Suikoden II is one of the best RPG's I've ever played. It's kind of sad where the series has gone since then, Suikoden IV was absolute rubbish, Suikoden Tactics was 'good' and Suikoden V was pretty good but nowhere near as good as Suikoden II.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I need to go back to playing Suikoden V someday. The last time I played was
    after the death of the the Queen and Ferid(sp?). I was about to head out to spring a master strategist out of prison. Am I far from getting my castle yet?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

O_o

The Lunar series, Xenogears came out a bit later, Diablo (if you count that)... I think Ys was also voice-acted, but I never played those so I could be wrong.

Oh, and the Tales series.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I need to go back to playing Suikoden V someday. The last time I played was
    after the death of the the Queen and Ferid(sp?). I was about to head out to spring a master strategist out of prison. Am I far from getting my castle yet?

From memory, you're not to far from getting the castle.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I haven't played Suikoden 2 in so long, so this may just be fond memories, but man, the cooking battles were awesome

Also, Clive is a bad ass

JeffH on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I might as well ask another question regarding Suikoden V:
    I know that you can accumulate "Lym" points in order to get the good ending but what do I get for being nice to Lyon? Is she a romance that you can access or do I get something for staying on her good side?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think that was my issue with Suikoden V. I swear I was playing that game for a long fucking time before getting the castle. I like to get it early and start collecting people.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I know that you can accumulate "Lym" points in order to get the good ending but what do I get for being nice to Lyon? Is she a romance that you can access or do I get something for staying on her good side?

I don't think so. I think you just get the good ending.

Btw, Miakis >>> Lyon.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Being nice to Lym gets you the good ending, being nice to Lyon gets you some extra scenes during the game where the prince and Lyon have a few heart to heart talks.
    You never have a date or anything, but the good ending does imply the prince and lyon end up as a couple.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I have Suikoden III, IV and V. I have finished V and never started III or IV.

I loved V. It had Lyon which was the greatest character I ever found. I mean sure she is a love interest but they played her well. I mean she was willful and strong and could hold out on her own. I loved V and the good ending.

With Suikoden VI, the creator has said if there is another Suikoden made, it wouldn't be in the PS2 era and that he wants to do something more powerful that the normal systems back then couldn't handle. I expect it to pop up on the PS3.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i played this game when i was like 14-15 and i only borrowed it from a friend.

i only played and beat it once but it was awesome. i just wish i could remember the story.

i loved recruting all those members. i still think Pokemon got the idea from this game here.

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    With Suikoden VI, the creator has said if there is another Suikoden made, it wouldn't be in the PS2 era and that he wants to do something more powerful that the normal systems back then couldn't handle. I expect it to pop up on the PS3.

I thought so too, but you have to wonder if now they'd be rethinking their plan.

It doesn't matter to me, I'll probably end up buying whatever system Suikoden VI comes out for.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    To this day, I thank whatever spirit of luck saw fit to have me lend Suikoden II to a friend a couple of months before my house was robbed and all my Playstation 1 and 2 things were stolen. Only a handful of my PS1 games remain (I had loaned a few to my brother who was off at college), and as bad as it sucked, I still have Suikoden II, and that makes me smile.

I loved the initial 3 games (with "II" being my far-and-away favorite RPG next to FFVI), but stayed away from IV at the behest of a friend who was also a Suikoden fanatic and had bought it when it released.

Suikoden V is damn good, too, if a little easy. If you can make it through the plot-heavy beginning, it's a worthy successor.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    GralikGralik Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speaking as a rabid Suikoden fan, I can honestly say that Suikoden VI for the PS3 is probably the only thing I've even heard as a possibility that would actually make me buy the PS3. Out of curiousity, I remember that you could carry saved games I -> II -> III and IV-> Tactics, but could you carry saved games from Tactics to V? If so, does anybody remember what you got for it?

P.S. Being able to convert data from both III and V to VI would pretty much be the best thing ever.

Gralik on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bremen wrote: »

I thought so too, but you have to wonder if now they'd be rethinking their plan.

It doesn't matter to me, I'll probably end up buying whatever system Suikoden VI comes out for.

Suikoden VI on Wii with waggle?

You heard it here first guys!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Has Konami announced anything for the Wii? Or the 360 for that matter?

Shit, what does Konami even make for consoles these days aside from Suikoden?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Has Konami announced anything for the Wii? Or the 360 for that matter?

Shit, what does Konami even make for consoles these days aside from Suikoden?

Silent Hill, DDR, Castlevania, Metal Gear... I think that's about it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They made Elebits

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.