As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Proving it.

Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in love with this guy but I screwed up alot of things in the early stages of our relationship... I mean REALLY screwed up. But now we're both leaving for college and I want to do something to prove my love for him is real. Any crazy ideas?
Help. Please? O_o

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brett Ashley on

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm in love with this guy but I screwed up alot of things in the early stages of our relationship... I mean REALLY screwed up. But now we're both leaving for college and I want to do something to prove my love for him is real. Any crazy ideas?
    Help. Please? O_o

Don't. If you love him, let him go, etc. etc.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That's honestly impossible. Plus... easier said than done.

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you're both going off to college, you'll find tons of new prospects and you'll be busy enough to forget about this boy.

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Eh... Not sure that's what she's getting at, DPC. Perhaps some details would help, Brett.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Be affectionate, not smothering.

Thats the only advice I could really give in this situation. Guys like it when girls show interest in them, but they either get annoyed with too much of it, or think the girls a slut. Bad either way.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I am pretty sure we need more details. It's hard to give advice off the sparse OP.

• Options
    edited June 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    Eh... Not sure that's what she's getting at, DPC. Perhaps some details would help, Brett.

Basically, I know I'm going to let him go, especially when college starts but, I still have a very limited amount of time to just show him that I love him and he'll always be with me. He's a great guy, amazing in fact and I need ideas to show him in a BIG way that he didnt waste his time on me.

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The key thing is to not send mixed signals. You do something big and romantic, and you're setting him up for disappointment when you "let him go".

Keep it simple. Make sure that you totally explain your feelings, because as a guy, we're pretty dense. I know if a girl I was kinda seeing (and it sounds like that's the case here), all of a sudden did something big and romantic, I'd be pretty stoked. If she then "let me go", then I'd be confused as hell, and probably a bit angry/jaded with her.

Just make sure your intentions (or lack thereof) are explicitly known.

As far as things to do for him, this is gonna sound corny and possibly construed as sexist, but I absolutely love it when women (and really this would apply to guys as well) cook for me. I had a girl from back home visiting me here in the UK, and I had to go out of town for a day for work. When I got home, she had baked me a Chocolate Cheesecake from scratch.

That really was an indication to me that she really cared about me.

But maybe that's just me.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Instead of trying to find the perfect way to show him how much you love him just find ways that the both of you can enjoy the limited time that you have left together.

Anything the both of you would talk about doing but never did? Do it. Take a day trip, make him dinner, have a picnic at the beach, go to an amusement park, go bike riding... Do the things that both of you enjoy together.

Don't be worried about making some big point just make some happy memories together.

Mr. Pokeylope on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You could start a thread about him on his favorite message board. Chances are he'll stumble upon it and recognize the name.

But right now he's on his way to you're house - ready to tell you you're gonna be all right.

... thread over?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    saint2e wrote: »
    But maybe that's just me.

Its not just you :). I love it when my gf cooks for me. And she loves it when i cook for her, so its not a sexist thing to say at all. Its just nice to cook for someone. (not talking about just regular simple food, i'm sure we both mean something that takes some real effort)

I also agree with Mr Pokeylope, just enjoy the time you have left together. Dont be too over-the-top like you're trying to compensate for whatever it is you might have done wrong, just try to enjoy things.

Best of luck with it.

edit : Haha, what a classic. I'm guessing MateriaMaster is the guy, then :). Well played!

Cryogen on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You could start a thread about him on his favorite message board. Chances are he'll stumble upon it and recognize the name.

But right now he's on his way to you're house - ready to tell you you're gonna be all right.

... thread over?
    And Dookie sheds a little tear.

Don't do anything crazy. Just spend time together. That's all you really need.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited June 2007

... thread over?

Yea. He's amazing.
    100_2773.jpg

And I'm always going to love him. 100_2775.jpg

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    <cite>And I'm always going to love him.</cite>

People feel this way a lot when they’re 18 and a lover is going off to high school. Then they get over it.

supabeast on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Try just being friends for awhile, relax, and see if things happen on their own.

If you're in predator mode, you're just going to create a lot of uncomfortable tension.

I've got something of a there and back again relationship going right now where after we dated, and stopped dating, she "wants" me again, but there are complications (fear of relationships, distance, etc) in the way.

Pressing the issue just makes things less comfortable. Relaxing about it lets us laugh and gossip like good friends.

You can put your interest out there, and let it be known, but the important thing is being friends.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I appreciate everyone's posts. And true love is a complicated bliss.

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    oniianoniian Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am confused why you need to prove it to him. Did you give him adequate reason in the beginning to warrant him to consider this relationship a "waste" as you put it? Are you trying to "prove it" in spite of these mistakes or just convey how much this relationship means to you? You make it sound as if you did something incredibly damaging or have really low self-esteem, to me at least.

Either way, the more specific you can be about these circumstances will in turn help generate better, more specific advice. (Part of me thinks you have been vague up to this point may be because you are embarrassed about these “mistakes”.)

oniian on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait I'm lost is he in this thread?

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yep. <sheds tear>

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wtf just happened? who is the boyfriend? Materia Master?

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, this is fucking crazy right here.

I... didn't... need... this... when... I'm... so... lonely *sobsobsob*

Lewisham on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    okay, you love him a lot, but posting random photos of him on the internet without his permission is not a cool thing. You should probably edit them out.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This thread made me gag !

Afty on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    okay, you love him a lot, but posting random photos of him on the internet without his permission is not a cool thing. You should probably edit them out.

You're enjoying your day
    Everything's going your way
    Then along comes Debbie Downer.

Always there to tell you 'bout a new disease
    A car accident or killer bees
    You'll beg her to spare you, "Debbie, Please!"
    But you can't stop Debbie Downer!

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm such a meanie. Seriously though, its creepy when guys do it, and no less creepy when girls do it.

Also, just write him a nice letter. At most. Make sure its just "I'm sorry for whatever" and not anything guiltrippy, because apart from that being an arsehole move, you'll regret it down the track. 'Crazy gestures' only work in romantic movies, and that's because the characters in romantic movies are written to be entirely mental. To pinch a favourite example from Feral, go watch You've Got Mail, and take note of how a perfectly normal if slightly flaky woman decides that the man who ruins her business, e-stalks her, and manipulates her emotionally must logically be the love of her life. Its a bit broken.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2007
    Three words: Blowjob

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    You do realize, he's posted in the thread, so if he checks back, he'll be well aware that there are pictures here?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2007

You're eighteen. You don't have a clue about true love. The sooner you realise this the easier life will be.

Tube on
  • Options
    Willeh DeeWilleh Dee Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ecapsknalb wrote: »

You're eighteen. You don't have a clue about true love. The sooner you realise this the easier life will be.

Oh god im liming that for Truth, this thread has made me feel embarrassed for you guys more than anything else.

Willeh Dee on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If it looks like true love, and feels like true love... it's most likely this:

Co-dependency.

Seriously though, something to consider...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OK, now we've taken care of it. Yes, for those that couldn't tell I'm the boyfriend.

We talked and basically all we both wanted was to leave each other on a good note, not upset at each other. Our almost two year relationship was a roller coaster of craziness and she just wanted us to both stay in touch and be good friends. And yes there there were some tears, mostly mine (Scrubs reference FTW), and we're both acting like grown ups about it.

Yes yes, I we understand that long distance relationships are ridiculous if it's mean to be it's meant to be etc etc.

Really she was just looking for a way to get my attention and have me come talk to her, either from you guys or if this thread itself was it (it was damn touching, it was)

Try to welcome her to the boards, she had been meaning to join for a while actually.
    But seriously, like I said before, thread over gents. :P

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    oniianoniian Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    La La Laa

oniian on