As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic for Friday, June 29

13»

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Iskander wrote: »
    That Geometry Wars demo on Steam is pretty rad. This game might be awesome on the Wii.

Why would it be any better on the Wii than on the system it was designed for, which is more powerful (probably not relevant) and has a different control scheme (probably relevant)?

Since I don't own a 360 I really don't care about the system it was designed for. What I do care about is the system I own, which is a Wii. Hence my statement. Why does everything have to be a major debate?

You obviously own a PC and you obviously know it's on Steam, so, again, why would you go out of your way to mention the Wii?

Why would it be "awesome on the Wii"?

It's being expanded into a much bigger game. According to the developers, the original is about what a level is going to be in Galaxies, and there are going to be about sixty levels, plus 12 new enemies in addition to the original 10, and an AI helper drone that can be customized in many ways, from weaponry to strategy. So far, the Wii is the only system they plan to release this game on.

Additionally, I've just read an IGN preview, and it'll be possible to play with a classic controller, and the remote-aiming seems to work well enough anyway, so the control scheme isn't that major of an issue.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot, every level, including the original game (which is in there as an extra) can be played with 2-player co-op.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Bret's expression in panel three is priceless.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you read the CAD newspost, you'll see he "didn't bother trying out to be an extra in Indy 4, even though he could have easily made it".

That means they rejected him.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Stop posting CAD. It's terrible. It's always terrible, it always was terrible, and I see no reason to think it will somehow stop being terrible in the forseeable future.

So stop posting it.

jwalk on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Defender just has to bitch about the Wii on every occasion.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That Geometry Wars demo on Steam is pretty rad. This game might be awesome on the Wii.

Why would it be any better on the Wii than on the system it was designed for, which is more powerful (probably not relevant) and has a different control scheme (probably relevant)?

Since I don't own a 360 I really don't care about the system it was designed for. What I do care about is the system I own, which is a Wii. Hence my statement. Why does everything have to be a major debate?

You obviously own a PC and you obviously know it's on Steam, so, again, why would you go out of your way to mention the Wii?

Why would it be "awesome on the Wii"?

everything is awesome on the wii

I don't regret getting one at all

not even a lot

Skull Man on
  • Options
    Some_JerkSome_Jerk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    CAD.jpg

First attempt, so, don't expect much.

Some_Jerk on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, and from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip-malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moments lost in time; gone like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2007
    Broodax is awesome.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Broodax is awesome.

Shill

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I mean, I see nothing wrong with someone who would like playing a "bigger" Geometry Wars game, if that's enjoyable to you.

To me, the whole fun of it is the simplicity. I don't want it to be some big involved thing. It's a very elegant game that has near infinite replay value. It doesn't need more levels. It's a Zen game.

More features does not always equal better product. Otherwise, your toothbrush would also shine shoes and wash cars, except now it doesn't actually fit in your mouth to brush your teeth anymore.

But hey, maybe it will be good. It's possible, just looked pretty generic from the trailer.

Strato on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Broodax bumper sticker would be awesome

just saying is all

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't see how it couldn't be better. I mean, you have the original Geometry Wars, which you're allowed to play to death. Then you can play all these other Geometry Wars which sound pretty cool, too. Then if you want, you can play with someone else, and more is always merrier.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    cherv1 wrote: »
    20070630.jpg

lol i <3 cad soooooooo much ^_^!

i <3 how dey turn videogames into a religion i ive always said there should be a videogame religion there so fun lol! haha newayz ill be keeping the faith and u keep on bringing the funny, tim buckley! baiiiiiiiiii ^______________^

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "More levels" is a great explanation, but when you say "that would be awesome on the Wii" it triggers the Defend-O-Tron 4000's anti-fanboy module. Why? Because "X would be so great on the Wii" is a very commonly-heard statement, even when X is a game that is perfectly fine as-is, would often be WORSE (or at least not better) with the Wii's control scheme, and which is often already on a platform with superior capabilities (meaning that other elements of the game might be worse if it were ported to the Wii).

Defender on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The wii is so great

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    But hey, maybe it will be good. It's possible, just looked pretty generic from the trailer.
    Generic? It's... it's Geometry Wars. What exactly are you wanting them to aim for?

Edit: Oh, and Defender, you're probably going to have to get used to hearing "I hope it's coming to Wii" or something along those lines from me a lot. Not because I think motion control magicly makes everything better, but because it's the only next-gen system I actually have.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    Generic? It's... it's Geometry Wars. What exactly are you wanting them to aim for?

Something different than the game I already bought? It looks like the same thing with some extra "features" slapped on. Literally I got the impression of "Uh oh, now there are BIGGER shapes coming after you" as if this is some sort of thrilling sequel and anyone gives a shit about the shapes themselves. Then again, I think it's hard to make any game look cool in a video with some sweaty fat guy asking questions about it.

How much is this supposed to be at retail though, like $30+? Or cheaper?

Strato on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    there's no set price or date yet, that I know of

Also they aren't just adding enemies

they are adding arenas, some of which will have special mechanics

I know there's at least one that will have a giant, persistant black hole in the middle, that will effect not only you and your enemies, but your bullets as well

plus there's the whole business with the customizable helper drone and the two-player co-op

that's probably more than one can reasonably expect from a game that is, at its very core, an overgrown coin-op gaming throwback

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "More levels" is a great explanation, but when you say "that would be awesome on the Wii" it triggers the Defend-O-Tron 4000's anti-fanboy module. Why? Because "X would be so great on the Wii" is a very commonly-heard statement, even when X is a game that is perfectly fine as-is, would often be WORSE (or at least not better) with the Wii's control scheme, and which is often already on a platform with superior capabilities (meaning that other elements of the game might be worse if it were ported to the Wii).

Oh for fuck's sakes Defender, I had no ulterior motives whatsoever when I said that. Why do you need to analyse an offhanded statement like that with your "Defend-O-Tron 4000"?

I played the demo on Steam.
    I have a Wii.
    I saw the preview of the Wii version.
    I like the features they're adding.
    I think it might be great.

Just let it go.

Iskander on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    mm yeah i love teh wee

i don't even own one but i luvx it newayz

mmmmm yea wii

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Orik you are confusing the Wii and another man's weewee again

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What is fakeposting anyway?

I keep seeing people mention it but I have no earthly idea what it means

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What is fakeposting anyway?

I keep seeing people mention it but I have no earthly idea what it means

It may involve being a douchebag at some point.

Iskander on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quake Wars is so awesome.

I can't wait to try all the maps in the release version.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Playing one map again and again really gets tired.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Especially when everyone on your team is always playing it like it's Quake four and just tried to kill everything rather than complete objectives.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I was pretty psyched about Quake Wars until it turned into a giant clusterfuck.

Javen on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For you Geometry Wars people, just go watch the 1up preview of what's going on with the game.

Right here.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck!

New Gone with the Blastwave comic!

37.jpg

EDIT: Meh...

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    man what the shit gone with the blastwave

entertain me for free gosh dang it

I am not using sarcasm

Skull Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Is there a demo of QW or something?

Oh, Fileplanet only. Hey, fuck you Fileplanet. Fuck you sooo hard.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jwalk wrote: »
    Is there a demo of QW or something?

Oh, Fileplanet only. Hey, fuck you Fileplanet. Fuck you sooo hard.

You're not playing it?

Awwwww.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    "beta signups are closed" - haha beta signups, no that's ok I'll wait for the real demo or whatever.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, you're right, I-

Oh fuck no, wait, I'm going to play the beta now!

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
This discussion has been closed.