Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Tribute to the first cd-rom pc video games. Live action ftw

mastmanmastman Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
What games do you remember playing when you first got a cd-rom drive in your computer. I remember every one of them because they were all awesome, and live action video recordings



First, there was Inca and Inca II
Great games involving lots of puzzles, space combat simulation, and a fps type of deal. Loved these games
41em2wwvjylaa234oy6.jpg


Then, there was Critical Path
Another puzzle game where you just went around figuring out tricks to get around bad guys and this factory I think. Never got far in this game because it was too hard.
criticalpathal1.jpg


Now, for an obscure game, has anyone ever played Phantasmagoria, specifically, Phantasmagoria 7. Yeah, it took 7 cds. 1 cd per chapter. Game was INSANE. The last 2 chapters were so gory. You spent 5 chapters doing lame stuff which I used the in game hints to get through. Then, at the end, you spend the whole time running from this crazy fucking demon who tries to rip your face in half, or put you in a guillotine (but this guillotine splits your skull in half) or smashes your face into a wine glass. Bear in mind, they show all of these greusome deaths in graphic, live action, detail.
phantasmagoriaboxut0.jpg

Reason I bring this up is I found all of mine in a shoebox the other day when I was cleaning and it brought back memories.

mastman on
ByalIX8.png
«13

Posts

  • antifoodantifood Registered User
    edited July 2007
    I have a hankering to play the 7th Guest. However, I have no idea where all my floppy disk and old cd-rom games went.

  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A demo of Tempest 2000 was the first CD game I played on a PC of my own.


    Jeff Minter = <3

  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Return to Zork
    boosxv2.jpg

    I recall playing that on, uh, dos I think. Never got it to work on Windows 3.1 for some reason from memory. Man, I need to go back and play it again, it's been so long. But yet the voices and (rather awesome) music are still stuck in my head.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't remember which Zork I played the hell out of. All I really remember is putting pop-rocks and coke in a locker and REVROOOV.

    Oh, and turning purple things invisible.

    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego.
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My first CD game was Rebel Assault.

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Phantasmagoria is nowhere NEAR obscure! It was all over magazines at the time, as was the sequel.

    Ripper
    Intro Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHGcbITFC6A

    I LOVED Ripper, 6 cds big, Christopher Walken, Karen Allen, Burgess Meredith, John Rhys-Davies, Jimmie Walker. Decent acting for the time, great 3D graphics/interaction with FMV characters, very cool 3D on rails shooting bits. Gory in places, a retarded amount of swearing.
    "My editor, Ben Dodds, called me at 3 a.m. to give me the news. It was a woman this time -- the third victim. Of all the reporters in this city, the Ripper picked me to write to. I knew that another mad letter to the city was soon to come, and I would run it on the front page of the Virtual Herald. I would let the world know the Ripper had killed again."


    Seriously, when this game came out I was 15/16 and I LOVED it.

    Other than that, Angel Devoid was a pretty good, very overlooked FMV/CD game:

    (Taken from an online review)

    "the four-CD (!), first-person game wastes absolutely no time: waking up in the hospital bed—with the face everybody in the known universe fears, hates, wants to kill, or some combination thereof—you've got about four New York seconds to move your butt before somebody unpleasant arrives and blows it away. From then on, you're a fugitive, meeting various characters who believe you're the criminal you are attempting to hunt down. "

    I'd forgotten the plot till I just looked it up, basically whilst hunting down a wanted criminal (wanted by police and other criminals) you wake up in hospital with his face. You literally get shot if you're not out of bed and out of the room in ten seconds.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mastman wrote: »
    Now, for an obscure game, has anyone ever played Phantasmagoria (...)
    What's obscure about Phantasmagoria?

    Anyway, it was 11th Hour for me, on my brother's computer. Neither of us could afford a CD drive when they started gaining in popularity, so even that one was played a couple of years past release.

  • antifoodantifood Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Return to Zork! I want that, god I wish there was an easy way to buy all these old games. For cheap. And not ebay.

  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First one I probably played was Loom. Still stands up today as one of the greats, especially with the use of the soundtrack. Although the first proper FMV laden game I played was probably Rebel Assault (no real actors, but still).

    And on a side note, I really miss Wing Commander III. That game was awesome, even with the cheese. C'mon, Biff from "Back to the Future" was your Wingman! And a furball!

  • SimBenSimBen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One of my most vivid memory as far as FMV games go is this:

    72_19_medium.jpg

    I haven't even ever played the first two in the series, but I loved that one (when I was oh, 12-13). Shitty, horrible acting, bad bluescreening, but fun puzzles and a funny AI.

    sig.gif Aneurythmia, Javen and thatdude_frombaywatch really smell pretty good and this pie is for them: pie
  • DisenchanterDisenchanter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    antifood wrote: »
    Return to Zork! I want that, god I wish there was an easy way to buy all these old games. For cheap. And not ebay.

    I just picked up a copy of RTZ, aswell as a disk to patch it for use with XP at a local computer show (best reason for a large gathering of pimply faced mouth breathers ever)

  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    star trek 25th aniversery cd rom edition (voices ftw) :lol:

    steam_sig.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    PSP_Myst_Boxart_UK.jpg

    I mean, c'mon. No one else here played Myst?

  • dragonsamadragonsama Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    while it's not a PC game it is my first CD Rom game

    Valis 3
    valis3.jpg

    So many good times with this game. I'm still shocked that they brought the series back as a hentai :cry:

  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I got Jones in the Fast Lane, Kings Quest V and Mixed Up Mother Goose with my first CD-ROM drive. Hehe, Sierra used to brag about their "front office actors" in their Interaction magazine.

  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited July 2007
    I think my first CD game was the King's Quest Collector's Edition. It had KQ1-6, a demo of KQ7, and a bunch of other nice tidbits.

    sig.gif
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Phantasmagoria is nowhere NEAR obscure! It was all over magazines at the time, as was the sequel.

    Ripper
    Intro Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHGcbITFC6A

    I LOVED Ripper, 6 cds big, Christopher Walken, Karen Allen, Burgess Meredith, John Rhys-Davies, Jimmie Walker. Decent acting for the time, great 3D graphics/interaction with FMV characters, very cool 3D on rails shooting bits. Gory in places, a retarded amount of swearing.
    "My editor, Ben Dodds, called me at 3 a.m. to give me the news. It was a woman this time -- the third victim. Of all the reporters in this city, the Ripper picked me to write to. I knew that another mad letter to the city was soon to come, and I would run it on the front page of the Virtual Herald. I would let the world know the Ripper had killed again."


    Seriously, when this game came out I was 15/16 and I LOVED it.

    Other than that, Angel Devoid was a pretty good, very overlooked FMV/CD game:

    (Taken from an online review)

    "the four-CD (!), first-person game wastes absolutely no time: waking up in the hospital bed—with the face everybody in the known universe fears, hates, wants to kill, or some combination thereof—you've got about four New York seconds to move your butt before somebody unpleasant arrives and blows it away. From then on, you're a fugitive, meeting various characters who believe you're the criminal you are attempting to hunt down. "

    I'd forgotten the plot till I just looked it up, basically whilst hunting down a wanted criminal (wanted by police and other criminals) you wake up in hospital with his face. You literally get shot if you're not out of bed and out of the room in ten seconds.

    I see like a thousand copies of this at a local secondhand book/game store whenever I go in there, but I'd never heard of it before. Maybe I'll pick it up.

    sig.gif
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    7th Guest was the first CD I put in the CDROM drive. I think.

    I didn't get in on the CD-ROM bandwagon until the MPC2 specs came out. :)

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I see like a thousand copies of this at a local secondhand book/game store whenever I go in there, but I'd never heard of it before. Maybe I'll pick it up.


    Angel Devoid or Ripper? Both good, played Ripper quite frequently and still enjoyed it.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    One of my most vivid memory as far as FMV games go is this:

    72_19_medium.jpg

    I haven't even ever played the first two in the series, but I loved that one (when I was oh, 12-13). Shitty, horrible acting, bad bluescreening, but fun puzzles and a funny AI.

    Man, I need to buy this again... I played the hell out of it when I was a kid. I'd say this was my best memory... also for whatever reason when I was a kid I had the game Voyeur...

    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

    Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • MaydayMayday generation three hybrid Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't remember which Zork I played the hell out of. All I really remember is putting pop-rocks and coke in a locker and REVROOOV.

    Oh, and turning purple things invisible.

    Grand Inquisitor.

    I enjoyed turning invisible things purple more though.

  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I see like a thousand copies of this at a local secondhand book/game store whenever I go in there, but I'd never heard of it before. Maybe I'll pick it up.


    Angel Devoid or Ripper? Both good, played Ripper quite frequently and still enjoyed it.

    Angel Devoid. Most of them are still in those huge boxes PC games used to be in.

    sig.gif
  • BrandXSaviorBrandXSavior Registered User
    edited July 2007
    My first CD game was Rebel Assault.


    That was my first CD-ROM game as well.

    Brand%20X%20Savior.png
    XBOX Live: BrandXSavior
    Wii: 4629 5078 1523 8513
  • almighty_monkeyalmighty_monkey Registered User
    edited July 2007
    wing_commander_3.jpg

    Good as cumming.

    Guitar!
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When I played Ripper I was 15, and I really don't think most people could make it through that game without a walkthrough. The puzzles were so vague and nonsensical.

    I enjoyed Angel Devoid, you have to think of it as an arcade shooter, where you're constantly getting killed and have to play again remembering what to do this time.

    steam_sig.png
  • funny.jpgfunny.jpg Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Return to Zork
    boosxv2.jpg

    I recall playing that on, uh, dos I think. Never got it to work on Windows 3.1 for some reason from memory. Man, I need to go back and play it again, it's been so long. But yet the voices and (rather awesome) music are still stuck in my head.

    http://boos.ytmnd.com/

    MPH: 4982-8382-6767
    Tetris 2632-0842-0873
  • GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User
    edited July 2007
    shivers1dp6.jpg
    shivers2jw9.gif

    I didn't actually play Shivers 1 when it first came out, but me and my best friend stayed up all night long playing and beating the second Shivers and had an absolute blast. It was mostly puzzles, with only the occasional genuine sudden 'Boo' moment (maybe 3-5 throughout the game), but we really ate up the atmosphere of the game (keeping in mind we were about 15 and there weren't too many other spooky games adventure games at the time).

    I bought Shivers 1 off of eBay about 3-4 years ago, and it seemed like a perfectly legit copy, nothing about it looked bootleg in the slightest, but my disc drive would never register it as anything but a blank disc. :(

    But yeah, back in the day, Shivers 2 was awesome for me.

    Anyone remember Fox Hunt?

    There is a moment of sheer panic...
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Archgarth wrote: »
    When I played Ripper I was 15, and I really don't think most people could make it through that game without a walkthrough. The puzzles were so vague and nonsensical.

    I enjoyed Angel Devoid, you have to think of it as an arcade shooter, where you're constantly getting killed and have to play again remembering what to do this time.

    I managed Ripper without a solution. When I got stuck I just used everything on everything! Except for the puzzle with the damn monkey, I had no idea what to do there and just sat electrocuting it in everyway possible.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • mistergokumistergoku Registered User
    edited July 2007
    I didn't get a PC until I was 13 (1997), so the first CD-ROM game I played was this crappy racing game called Pod that came with the system.

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pod rocked. It was one of the first games to utilise the MMX chip.

    Maybe you meant Megarace?

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, I disliked Pod too. Megarace was gloriously cheesy, how could you possibly hate that? ;-)

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I didn't hate it, I could just see how someone would refer to it as crappy :)

    It was always meant to come out for the CD32 and never did. It made me sad.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There was a ton of games I remember playing when my family first got our CD-Rom but there are the ones I remember most vividly.

    FateofAtlantis.jpg

    I spent hours and hours playing this game, voice over dialogue, those fucking sunstone puzzles that were so damn confusing back when you're 6 and the rest. Still my favourite ever Lucas Arts point and click.

    Dune.png

    Hours and hours of flying over dunes aside, the game was incredible, though finding that god damn village in the fishes mouth was bullshit considering how long it took to get there. But flying over the dunes in an ornithopter with the incredible music was riveting stuff.

    Syndicate.jpg

    Got this one a little later on but again, spent hours customising my agents and sneaking around blowing up civilians, gates to military complexes then toasting the troops when they came out in cars with flamethrowers.

    I miss you Bullfrog.

    jaggedal.gif

    Where do I start? I was 7 I think when I first started playing this and the concept of hiring these badass soldiers (With individual voices!) was awesome. Even though I couldn't figure out how to move from one sector to the next at first. Excellent game and the game that got me hooked on SRPGs and turn based strategy games even though I had no idea what they were at the time.

    war1box.jpg

    Back when they first switched from giving disks to CDs in gaming magazines my dad bought one that had the demo of this and he, my brother and I were hooked. When the game was released he went and bought the full version and while he and my brother played it I sat there and went through the gigantic manual that was included in there, along with the massive backstory of the game and units.

    X-ComUFO.jpg

    Most of the people here have probably played it, but playing this at 2 at night with your brother or a mate that came over when you were supposed to be getting sleep before school the next day was great fun. Except when one of your guys gets taken out by a laser from a cornfield 3 screens away. Over the school holidays my brother and I mounted a campaign over a week, building up technology and soldiers and eventually invading their homebase and destroying them.

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I fucking loved Rebel Assault II, but it was the PS1 version. I imagine it was the same as the PC though, and it had shitty live-action sequences.

    XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • mistergokumistergoku Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Pod rocked. It was one of the first games to utilise the MMX chip.

    Maybe you meant Megarace?

    I had a slow computer so the fps was horrendous. Don't know why it was packaged with the computer since it barely met the min requirements.

  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kelor wrote: »
    Dune.png

    Hours and hours of flying over dunes aside, the game was incredible, though finding that god damn village in the fishes mouth was bullshit considering how long it took to get there. But flying over the dunes in an ornithopter with the incredible music was riveting stuff.

    Oh, yes. I still play this game from time to time. I think I first played it on the Mega CD, but I bought it for the pc not long after. Does anyone know if the music was ever made available seperately, in a soundtrack release or something? It was so wonderfully strange and haunting. So many dunes...

    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • SmudgeSmudge Registered User
    edited July 2007
    Seeing that cover of Wing Commander 3 makes me tear up a little. The Wing Commander series was so epic.

    All of them were so cutting edge when they were released. I spent so much time in those games. Mass drivers for the win. So much awesome gaming in there.

    I desperately want the return of the epic space opera. Nobody has a joystick anymore (I still worship my MS sidewinder force feedback pro, dusty as it is) though, and all modern space games are being made primarily for the mouse, which just KILLS the gameplay. These games should not even LET you play with the damn mouse.

    I have not felt anywhere near the feeling of amazement and wonder of a new Wing Commander game since the death of the series. Freespace was an awesome GAME, but there were no characters that you could care about enough to love or hate. Not like old bluehair.

  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    Dune.png

    Hours and hours of flying over dunes aside, the game was incredible, though finding that god damn village in the fishes mouth was bullshit considering how long it took to get there. But flying over the dunes in an ornithopter with the incredible music was riveting stuff.

    Oh, yes. I still play this game from time to time. I think I first played it on the Mega CD, but I bought it for the pc not long after. Does anyone know if the music was ever made available seperately, in a soundtrack release or something? It was so wonderfully strange and haunting. So many dunes...
    Why yes it was.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_Spice_Opera

    Download links at the bottom of the page (single mp3 zipfiles, but it's worth it), man it's a fantastic soundtrack.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No Gabriel Knight II? No Harvester? No Under a Killing Moon?

    For shame.

    If I didn't know LaPuzza wasn't a spambot I would think that was a spambot post.
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mistergoku wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Pod rocked. It was one of the first games to utilise the MMX chip.

    Maybe you meant Megarace?

    I had a slow computer so the fps was horrendous. Don't know why it was packaged with the computer since it barely met the min requirements.

    Oh man, I remember playing Mega-Race on my old Pentium box back in '94.

    Jesus, I feel old.

    EDIT: Nostalgia!

    steam_sig.png
    MK: DS Code: 528.341.706.032 - Import from Play-Asia PSN: VictorX10
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.