As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stranglehold: Xbox Live Demo Available! NSF Watermelons.

EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
You know what goes nice with the Stranglehold theme and picture pack we just released for the 360? How about a playable demo?

After a couple weeks of really hard work (which meant staying home during E3), we’ve completed the Xbox 360 demo, sent it off to Microsoft, and now we play the waiting game. Well, more like you get to play the waiting game. We can play it whenever we want. :-)

Just what does the demo contain? Tons. The demo starts off the same as the singleplayer game, introducing you to the controls and combat of Stranglehold. The Hong Kong Marketplace has tons of interactions, lots of combat, plenty of gags, a couple standoffs, doves, and even some extra hidden content. You’ll be hard pressed to find a demo with this much gameplay crammed into it.

And you PS3 owners don’t start fretting, we’re working on the PSN demo as I write this, and it’s coming soon too!

Patrick Curry
Senior Game Designer

http://blogs.ign.com/Strangleholdgame/2007/07/19/60763/

Finally we'll actually get to try this one out :D (I didn't see this posted anywhere else, so I figured I might as well).

Discuss!

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
Evangir on

• Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fuck yes.

I really want to play Stranglehold, but I keep forgetting it on my buy list.

This demo will probably shove it onto my buy list.

For that, am I ever sad.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Woohoo!

Spiritual successor to Max Payne + Spiritual successor to Hard Boiled = <3*
    *and giant boner

Kami on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Awesomeness. Sadly, I'm afraid this game is going to be yet another victim of the deluge of AAA titles this fall. But a demo (especially one as meaty as this sounds) may help turn the tides a bit.

Is there a solid release date yet? I'm writing my "I'm Screwed" list of games to buy, rent and pass this year. :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe its coming out August 2 or thereabouts.

I am definitely going to try out the demo. This game has lots of potential.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    YOU OWE ME NEW PANTS!

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sent it off to MS? I WANT IT NOW!

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That is great news :)

I have been really curious about this game ever since I heard of it's inception.

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That is great news :)

I have been really curious about this game ever since I heard of it's inception.
    All the previews have been SUPER positive, too.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited July 2007
    Currently any franchise title that doesn't have the word starbreeze on the box is mediocre at best; I awate this with cautious optimism.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What I wanna know is if we do get Hard Boiled on the PS3 version will it be in HD? Sounds iffy plus gamestop changed their preorder page and it doesn't even list the movie anymore.

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    What I wanna know is if we do get Hard Boiled on the PS3 version will it be in HD? Sounds iffy plus gamestop changed their preorder page and it doesn't even list the movie anymore.

The stuff up on the PSN store suggests that it has the HD movie on the disc. For once, it's a special edition that's actually worth $10 extra instead of just having a shiny box and some extra manuals.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One of the things that got my attention is the fact that you can toss a guitar case full of guns in a level and dive right in during the middle of a firefight. That means that they were inspired by Desperado, which was inspired by John Woo, who provides the inspiration for Stranglehold. It is like a violent merry-go-round.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    powersurge wrote: »

The PS3 version comes with the only blu-ray version of hard boiled we will see for a very long time

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Theres a heavenly sword demo coming soon also. Good times, good times.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Woohoo!

Spiritual successor to Max Payne + Spiritual successor to Hard Boiled = <3*
    *and giant boner

WHAT??????? Okay, this was under my radar until now. I must go forth and find more info on this.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heavenly Sword, Stranglehold, and Lair demos soon...nice. But they've yet to deliver! GIVE ME SOMETHING SONY!

love,
    the only guy that bought a PS3 in the entire city

.la1n on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I expect to see it by tomorrow night, unless MS isn't currently in the certification process.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I WANT.
    The videos make it look alittle like a skating game, how you slide on poles and carts.
    If that makes any sense at all...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    and there's meant to be a skate demo in august. Then Halo 3 in September.
    Well, i won't be needing work anymore.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Basically, unless I hit some sort of awesome lottery that 17 year olds can win, I am FUCKED.
    I can't play half these games without selling my car or my soul.

Anyone know Satan's new cell number?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Basically, unless I hit some sort of awesome lottery that 17 year olds can win, I am FUCKED.

Just do what I'm doing: Pick up the games that have large potential spoiler risk (ie. Halo 3, Mass Effect) and ridiculous replay value (ie. Halo 3, Mass Effect). The rest can wait for price-drops/larger bank balance/lottery/act of god/mysterious benefactor/inheritance (D:).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

Just do what I'm doing: Pick up the games that have large potential spoiler risk (ie. Halo 3, Mass Effect) and ridiculous replay value (ie. Halo 3, Mass Effect). The rest can wait for price-drops/larger bank balance/lottery/act of god/mysterious benefactor/inheritance (D:).

Oh, I've got Halo 3 preordered. t's the other stuff I can't make decisions on.
    Mass Effect looks good, but I don't know yet. Bioshock is probably a yes. This game is a maybe.
    The rest is all riding on demos really. If I have insano fun it's a buy.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21785.html

how the FUCK does that guy jump into the helicopter without hitting it's blades?

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    edited July 2007

how the FUCK does that guy jump into the helicopter without hitting it's blades?

I'm loading this video now, but perhaps not everyone can run HD videos?

Edit:
    Pretty graphics are pretty. I was excited to see a non-browned next gen game, and then the slow-mo started...
    But about the helicopter...a wizard did it?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    probably the same wizard that makes the doves show up whenever fat does his slo-mo spin attack.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    probably the same wizard that makes the doves show up whenever fat does his slo-mo spin attack.

And when he does the bullet dodge.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Let us ask ourselves: do we actually care?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Let us ask ourselves: do we actually care?

normally i wouldnt. but for some reason my mind wont let go of it. then again, when that same guy was shot 70 times the helicopter exploded.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Any idea as to the release date for the demo?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ergandar wrote: »
    Any idea as to the release date for the demo?

I'd like to know this, too. I just bought the Dragon Dynasty release of Hard Boiled. I'm gonna watch it tonight.

<3<3

Kami on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've requested that my parents pre order the collector's edition for my birthday. 8-)

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    August 8th is the release date for the XBox360 demo, at least according to this.

Kami on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The concept is interesting, but the video footage hasn't left me all that impressed. Then again, the video footage of Max Payne 2 looked largely unimpressive and I loved that. I guess I'm more on the "wait and see" wagon here, to see if playing the game feels cool.

subedii on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm August 8th...very well! I would have liked to see it sooner, but I can wait. :) Max Payne is one of my favorite franchises and this particular game is being done by the Psi Ops team. I don't see how it can miss honestly. Between this and Bioshock I'm slowly forgetting that Halo 3 comes out this year, but that's just me probably.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    subedii wrote:
    to see if playing the game feels cool.

You are Chow Yun-Fat. I mean, fuck, Tequila, Mark Gor, Jeffrey Chow... you are cool.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    Hmm August 8th...very well! I would have liked to see it sooner, but I can wait. :) Max Payne is one of my favorite franchises and this particular game is being done by the Psi Ops team. I don't see how it can miss honestly.

A freak storm of white doves?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I just hope there's a shootout in a completely crowded hospital, especially in the nursery. <3

Kami on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    subedii wrote:
    to see if playing the game feels cool.

You are Chow Yun-Fat. I mean, fuck, Tequila, Mark Gor, Jeffrey Chow... you are cool.

The Alien Vs Predator movie had both Aliens and Predators. Never underestimate the capability of people to make cool things suck.

Although to be fair, the fact that they've got a story influenced by John Woo AND Chow Yun Fat doing the voice acting (which from the trailers, seems awesome), has got me fairly excited about the non-combat segments of the game.

subedii on
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has memory failed me or did I read in this thread (or perhaps elsewhere) that the game was going to be relatively short? That doesn't really effect how good the gameplay is but if there is a short quantity of said gameplay then it could alter purchase / rental needs.

.la1n on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I'm not expecting the world's greatest game or anything, just a fun crazy shooter with lots of stuff blowing up and over-the-top uses of bullet time. I mean Tequila Time....

I kind of wish it wasn't called Tequila Time, but I guess it fits the tone they're going for.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51