As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is that SOTN in your pocket or are you happy to see me? Castlevania SOTN for PS3&PSP

ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Last night I hooked up my PS3 to see what the latest offering on the Playstation Store was and was caught completely off guard by what I saw. It was an old friend staring back at me. Waving saying “Hello come play with me again. Before I drink all of your blood”

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is up for Download on the Playstation Store right now and it will play on the PS3 and the PSP. If you have a PS3 and missed out on this game you should get it right now and play the ever loving bejesus out of it because it is just that awesome. This makes the forth time the game as been made available to Gamers spanning 5 systems. The first time was the original Playstation 1 version, then an enhanced version for the Sega Saturn that included one more playable character (Maria), then on X-360 Live Arcade and now finally on the Playstation Store for the PS3 and PSP. It should be noted that this is the first time the game has be released on a portable. The game will however also be a part of Castlevania Dracula X chronicles a game that will have an enhanced remake of Dracula X Rondo of Blood, the original T-16 CD version of Rondo of Blood and the PS1 version of Symphony of the night.

The Original Playstation and Saturn versions of the game fetch big bucks on E-bay. So at just $10 to be able to play it on 2 different systems this is a steal. As with other Playstation games available for download on the Playstation store this game is a straight Rip form the Playstation version. That means all the vocals, cinemas and graphics are exactly the same as you remember them.

It’s a great game and really if you don’t own it in one form or another there is really no excuse to not have it now.

So go get it and play one of the greatest games ever again you miserable pile of secrets.

Edit: made a better opening post.

Artoria on

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can I buy it without a PS3?

Couscous on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Very nice :)

I've been playing it pretty hardcore lately on my 360. Just made it to...
    The maddeningly hard inverted castle!

I still can't believe I never picked this up when I had a PS1.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Isn't SOTN supposed to end up coming with that one remake of a Castlevania game on PSP anyway?

Gilder on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So how does this look on the PS3 as compared to the 360 version? I'd probably prefer the sixaxis for it's PSOne-esque control scheme, but if the PS3 version looks crappier, it will be a tougher decision.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    Isn't SOTN supposed to end up coming with that one remake of a Castlevania game on PSP anyway?

Yeah, with retranslations, new voice acting, and graphics rearranged for wide-screen gameplay.

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yep. But you can play this version on both the PSP and PS3, plus if you only want to play SotN you don't have to buy the full priced game (though I don't know why anyone with a PSP would not want to get the full priced game).

titmouse: Not at the moment but they've hinted that they'll be bringing up their PSP Store at some point this year. Then again, Dracula X Chronicles may even be out before that happens.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yeah, with retranslations, new voice acting, and graphics rearranged for wide-screen gameplay.

NooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooooo!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

Retranslations are a miserable little pile of secrets.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Evangir wrote: »

Retranslations are a miserable little pile of secrets.

This is Konami though, the people who never proofread their translations. Knowing them, evely singre R and L wirr be the wlong one, no mattel how rittre sense it makes. These are the guys that gave us Arikado and Ronginus Spear after all. I'm sure the reworked translation will have its charm.

Gilder on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One one hand, I'm glad that the game is playable by so many people, regardless of what system they have (well, except Wii owners). But on the other hand, I'm thinking, "How long before there's more versions of this than Bust a Move?"

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    One one hand, I'm glad that the game is playable by so many people, regardless of what system they have (well, except Wii owners). But on the other hand, I'm thinking, "How long before there's more versions of this than Bust a Move?"

Does it matter? It's Castlevania. Once more it's the best Castlevania ever made. So the more people who have access to it the better.

Sorry for the weak opening post. I was about to go to bed when I saw SOTN on the PS store so I just had to start the thread after I saw it. I updated the OP now so it is somewhat up to my usual OP standards.

Artoria on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I played through SOTN for the first time a couple of months ago and had a blast.

that is all.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So you guys would recomend getting it?

I saw it on the PSS yesterday too.

Just like FF, last Castlevania I played was on the NES. Think we can use the Advantage on the PS3?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes you should buy it. Right now. stop reading the tread already and just buy it. It's that good.

Artoria on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "What do you here?"

Man, was anyone else completley stumped about how to get the 'next part' of the game? I hate gamefaqing for a guide but I simply couldn't figure out that
    you have to get a skeleton ape to smash the barrel on the wooden bridge

The only part of the game that stumped me

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Last I checked the full price psp game isn't for SotN, it's for the 3d remake of Rondo of Blood. SotN is a bonus that tags along with it. While the DLC ps3/psp SotN is a seperate game on its own.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "What do you here?"

Man, was anyone else completley stumped about how to get the 'next part' of the game? I hate gamefaqing for a guide but I simply couldn't figure out that
    you have to get a skeleton ape to smash the barrel on the wooden bridge

The only part of the game that stumped me
    That didn't bother me since they played that little cut scene near where the button is to summon the ape.

What stumped me in that aera was the small breakaway floor that I didn't remember was there and I had nowhere else to go. That, I had to look online for.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had no clue this was coming out, especially since the remake is coming up for the PSP.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just this morning I was sitting in the office playing Portable Ops, wishing I hadn't bought SOTN on XBL becuase I could get much more play time from it on my PSP.

With this news, I don't know if I can wait for the Chronicles edition to come out...

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmmmmm a switch why don't I press it and seeeeeeeee

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm so weak. I just bought it. I already have it on XBLA, but the allure of PSP SOTN...even though it's coming soon with another game.

Damn, I'm gonna buy that one, too.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just this morning I was sitting in the office playing Portable Ops, wishing I hadn't bought SOTN on XBL becuase I could get much more play time from it on my PSP.

With this news, I don't know if I can wait for the Chronicles edition to come out...
    Even though you've apparently caved :), I'm holding out on the XBLA version for the impending Dracula X Chronicles. Although the temptation is mighty strong, I know. And I don't have a PS3 so the PSN release doesn't affect me.
    MichaelLC wrote:
    So you guys would recomend getting it?

I saw it on the PSS yesterday too.

Just like FF, last Castlevania I played was on the NES. Think we can use the Advantage on the PS3?
    Symphony of the Night is amazing, but it's quite different from the NES 'vanias. It's known as a Metroidvania (obviously, Metroid + Castlevania), so there's RPG-lite elements and fairly nonlinear exploration involved. It's totally amazing, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Last week I bought the original Castlevania on the Wii as well.

I'm such a whore.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    .... I actually prefer Dawn of Sorrow to SOTN. Is SOTN regarded as the best in the series or just one of the best?

EDIT: linkage to an awesome Castlevania concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQuwpcHHLDY&mode=user&search=

I'm sure the guy at 5:20 was picking his nose

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Can anyone tell me how to use a god damn item in the menu? I have pressed every god damned button and even equipped the damn things to use but nothing fucking works.

As a result of no healing items, I have gotten very good very fast, but I still want a little cushion.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Can anyone tell me how to use a god damn item in the menu? I have pressed every god damned button and even equipped the damn things to use but nothing fucking works.

As a result of no healing items, I have gotten very good very fast, but I still want a little cushion.

Unfortunately, to use an item you must equip it in one of your hand slots, then, in the game, press the button corresponding to that hand. If it's food, the item will land on the floor for you to walk over and 'eat.' If it's a potion or attack item (like a pentagram), the item will be used automatically (no need to walk over it).

The game gets much easier when you get the farie familiar. She'll heal you automatically by using whatever potions you have in your inventory.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Unfortunately, to use an item you must equip it in one of your hand slots, then, in the game, press the button corresponding to that hand. If it's food, the item will land on the floor for you to walk over and 'eat.' If it's a potion or attack item (like a pentagram), the item will be used automatically (no need to walk over it).

The game gets much easier when you get the farie familiar. She'll heal you automatically by using whatever potions you have in your inventory.

Ah, that was my problem. I equipped a turkey and then threw it, but I was on a ledge and it went below the visible screen and disappeared. I thought all items were like that.

Thanks!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    .... I actually prefer Dawn of Sorrow to SOTN. Is SOTN regarded as the best in the series or just one of the best?

I'd say it's my favorite; I hate picking out 'bests'. It was the start of the Metroidvanias though, so it may very well be that they improved as they went along.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has anyone ever actually managed to eat some peanuts? I've never been able to catch them.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    XanariosXanarios Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I'd say it's my favorite; I hate picking out 'bests'. It was the start of the Metroidvanias though, so it may very well be that they improved as they went along.

Wouldn't say it is the best overall, but the gameplay / atmosphere feels so fluid that I cannot help but sit down and play through it again and again and again. So much <3

Xanarios on
  • Options
    SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So has anyone with the PS3 version know how to save? I goto a saving cube and it says I can't save because I don't have a memory card...

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think you need to create a internal memory card on the main menu outside of the game then assign it to a memory card slot.

powersurge on
  • Options
    SolidGobiSolidGobi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    I think you need to create a internal memory card on the main menu outside of the game then assign it to a memory card slot.

Ah cool thanks a lot.

SolidGobi on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I never understood the huge draw to Dawn of Sorrow. The level design is some of the plainest and only a handful of souls are useful outside the parts where certain ones are necessary. I preferred Aria.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has anyone ever actually managed to eat some peanuts? I've never been able to catch them.

Throw the peanut, then position yourself for them to land on your head, then Hold Up.

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    once I get a cheap 2gig or 4gig mem card for my psp, this is teh purchased. unless of course the Dracula X chronicles comes out before I get a new mem card then that will be so bought.

man, SOTN is so amazing. Yeah, I'd call it my favorite with dawn right behind it. SOTN just had better level design (chapel ftw) and MUCH MUCH better music. holy fuck the music in SOTN was amazing. Gameplay? Dawn has it, but everything else I'd say SOTN has it.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I forgot I even had Dawn of Sorrow. I might give it another playthrough once I go through SOTN 3 or 5 more times.

The thing is, I have this on XBLA also, but I rarely play it. Something about playing it on the go is just amazing to me.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Now, until recently I haven't played this game in forever, but I swear to almighty jeebus that there was a move once you got the gravity boots that let you just zoom up super high by pushing up and a shoulder button. Is there ANY way of emulating this in this version, or am I hosed?

I hate flying everywhere as bat or mist when I can just zoom around like the badass I should be.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Now, until recently I haven't played this game in forever, but I swear to almighty jeebus that there was a move once you got the gravity boots that let you just zoom up super high by pushing up and a shoulder button. Is there ANY way of emulating this in this version, or am I hosed?

I hate flying everywhere as bat or mist when I can just zoom around like the badass I should be.

Gravity Boots jump? Should be down+up+jump, IIRC. It's been a couple of years since I've played SOTN, though.

Multi-platform SOTN makes me giddy in the pants, BTW. Everyone should have a way to experience this game at least once <3

Norfair on