Options

360 HD-DVD to drop to 179.99 + 5 Free HD-DVD Movies

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
EDIT: THIS DEAL IS US ONLY CURRENTLY

Many 360 owners have been on the fence about purchasing the HD-DVD add on. For some, price has been the factor, the knowledge that after spending 200+ dollars on the drive, there is still the issue of building up one's HD-DVD library. Fear not fellow 360 fans! Microsoft has heard your cries, and not only has lowered the price of the HD-DVD drive to 179.99 US, they are also including the 360 HD-DVD add on in Toshiba's "The Perfect Deal" offer which gives you 5 free HD-DVD titles to choose from with the purchase of an HD-DVD Player.

The titles to choose from include:

Apollo 13
Blazing Saddles
Casablanca
The Chronicles of Riddick
Constantine
The Dukes of Hazzard
Four Brothers
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
The Perfect Storm
The Rundown
Seabiscuit
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
U2: Rattle and Hum
U-571
We Were Soldiers

Update: the catagories you can choose your movies from:

Category A - Apollo 13. Seabiscuit. The Chronicles of Riddick.
Category B - Casablanca. Constantine. Dukes of Hazzard.
Category C - Four Brothers. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. Sky Captain and the
World of Tomorrow.
Category D - The Rundown. Blazing Saddles. U2: Rattle and Hum.
Category E - U-571. The Perfect Storm. We Were Soldiers.
SAN DIEGO — July 26, 2007 — Today at Comic-Con International 2007, Microsoft Corp. announced it will lower the price of the popular Xbox 360™ HD DVD Player from $199 to $179 ERP (United States only) starting Aug. 1, 2007, and will add five free HD DVD movies for anyone purchasing an Xbox 360 HD DVD Player between Aug. 1 and Sept. 30. In addition, Microsoft further solidified the Xbox 360 as the ultimate high-definition (HD) entertainment platform, with key announcements around the HD DVD launches of “300” from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and “Heroes: Season 1” from Universal Studios.

To promote the HD DVD versions of “300” and “Heroes: Season 1,” Microsoft unveiled exclusive content for Xbox LIVE® Marketplace. Xbox LIVE will offer “300” on demand in HD starting Aug. 14, and is working with Warner Bros. at Comic-Con on a Bringing It Home campaign featuring “300” and other Warner Bros. properties. In advance of the street date for the “Heroes: Season 1” HD DVD boxed set, Xbox LIVE members will be able to download for free the show’s pilot episode in high definition for a limited time. Members will also be able to download trailers, teaser scenes and other promotional materials highlighting the “Heroes: Season 1” boxed set on HD DVD.

Already the most affordable high-definition player available, the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player is the best solution for movie lovers seeking HD content in the highest possible resolution. The player’s price reduction to $179 (U.S. ERP) continues to set the bar for value, making the Xbox 360 platform the most affordable solution for consumers seeking the broadest, most compelling selection of next-generation gaming and HD video experiences.

“With the price reduction to $179, the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player continues to be the most affordable way to enjoy high definition,” said Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of Global Marketing, Interactive Entertainment Business, Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. “From the beginning, we set out to offer Xbox 360 owners an unrivaled high-definition experience, with a choice of optical discs on the HD DVD format and digital downloads through Xbox LIVE Marketplace — both of which have a selection of the best content Hollywood has to offer. Today’s announcements around ‘300’ and ‘Heroes: Season 1’ are great examples of how we believe HD content can be offered to consumers.”

In addition to the price drop, Microsoft is extending Toshiba’s highly successful “Perfect Offer” of five free HD DVD discs to Xbox 360 consumers. Previously exclusive to Toshiba HD DVD Players, with the purchase of an Xbox 360 HD DVD Player at the new low price of $179 ERP, consumers can choose five HD DVD titles for free from a selection of 15 popular titles through a mail-in offer. With a retail value of over $140 (U.S.), this promotion makes the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player one of the most compelling offerings for consumers looking to make the leap into HD this holiday season.

Bamelin on

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have trouble picking one of those much less 5.

Will any games ever use the HD-DVD drive?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That is way better than the Blu-Ray list.

Apollo 13
    Blazing Saddles
    Casablanca
    Rattle & Hum
    then either Constantine or The Rundown or Sky Captain.

Edit: games will never use the HD-DVD drive.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    20 measly bucks?! With Blu-Ray consistantly being trumped as a shoe in for this format war, I'm still too timid at 180 bucks to jump in.

The HD video marketplace is a lot more compelling. The only thing that it could use is some sort of streaming technology -- can't wait till we get it up here.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, Casablanca is awesome and all, but how much more resolution can they really expect to squeeze out of a 1.37:1 black and white 35mm print from 1942?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Casablanca???

B&W in HD ... does anyone else see something wrong with this??

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Nope

Ranced on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Not good enough to make me go out and invest in a format that might not last, but they at least have my attention now.

Evander on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ranced wrote: »

Nope

Why, exactly? Is it just a hardware thing? Like, the HD-DVD can't hook up to what it needs to?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Nope

Why, exactly? Is it just a hardware thing? Like, the HD-DVD can't hook up to what it needs to?

Microsoft won't let them, and companies don't want to make games for a format that only a few of the 360 owners have players for.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Nope

Requiring 360 owners to buy a $180 add-on to play games won't help Microsoft.

Ranced on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ya know, as old and dated as Casablanca may be, I'm sure they still had to heavily compress the video to make it fit on a DVD. All movies can benefit from being less compressed on HD-DVD (and Blu-Ray). Except for Clerks. That will always look like shit.

Also, perhaps edit the title to clarify that the $179.99 is specifically for the 360's add-on drive. I can imagine a lot of people clicking on this thread excited about a standalone player price drop.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have to admit I'm tempted. At the Best Buy near my the HD-DVD add on includes King Kong too which would bring it up to 6 free movies.

It's not a bad deal at all.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Nope

It's more a question of why would they? Honestly, the only reason to do it would be to push HD-DVD sales; there's no real benefit to sticking games on the HD-DVDs.

Evander on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Casablanca???

Have you never watched Sin City?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I won't buy it, because they didn't bother to put HDMI support in my 360.

Also none of those movies they are offering are ones I would want.

Third of all HD-DVDs and BDs are way too expensive for what you get. I'll stick with my $80 DVD player that upscales over HDMI and plays all my movies.

Strato on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What with Target throwing in with Blu-Ray this X-mas, http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070726-target-sides-with-blu-ray-for-holiday-season.html

I just don't know who is going to come out on top of this one.

...seriously though, how many people actually own HDTVs? Is market penetration even high enough for this format war to matter, or are people so stupid that they're buying HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-Cable to play on their SDTVs?

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Casablanca???

Casablanca looks fan-damn-tastic in HD. Seriously. Light years ahead of the DVD rip.

Whether or not it's filmed in colour has nothing to do with resolution.

If anyone gets this offer, you MUST get Casablanca. Greatest movie ever, and gorgeous to boot.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    j0hnz3r wrote: »
    What with Target throwing in with Blu-Ray this X-mas, http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070726-target-sides-with-blu-ray-for-holiday-season.html

...seriously though, how many people actually own HDTVs? Is market penetration even high enough for this format war to matter, or are people so stupid that they're buying HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-Cable to play on their SDTVs?

About 35% of US homes have HDTVS, and the rate of adoption is increasing pretty quickly.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Casablanca???

I have not. How bad am I ...? But I promise I will
    Daybreak wrote: »
    Casablanca???

Casablanca looks fan-damn-tastic in HD. Seriously. Light years ahead of the DVD rip.

Whether or not it's filmed in colour has nothing to do with resolution.

If anyone gets this offer, you MUST get Casablanca. Greatest movie ever, and gorgeous to boot.

I'll have to overlap that judgement and put my vote in for The Goonies in HD-DVD ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How many of the people who own HDTVs are interested in actual high definition movies?

Couscous on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Casablanca???

I have not. How bad am I ...? But I promise I will

Pretty bad to be correlating B&W with the inability to benefit from HD.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    How many of the people who own HDTVs are interested in actual high definition movies?

The whole hi def thing is interesting. I mean I love my HDTV and HD player. When I show friends/family though some are blown away and others are just like, I don't get it.

This is a pretty good deal though. There are definatly several movies worth picking up on that list, especially free. Chronicles of Riddick in paticular is an awesome movie to pull out just show off how good HD can look. I like eye candy.

corin7 on
  • Options
    guidedbyvicesguidedbyvices Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have an HDTV
    ...And I'm definitely interested in hi-def movies.

I'm still on the fence on whether I should buy the HD-DVD drive or just take the plunge and get a PS3. Price isn't the issue... I just want to know which format "wins"... I don't want to buy a movie thrice. That's just annoying.

guidedbyvices on
    PSN RadCrimes
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This needs to come to Europe for me to care.

And to be honest, I'm looking forward to the Video Marketplace hitting in the Fall way more.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have an HDTV
    ...And I'm definitely interested in hi-def movies.

I'm still on the fence on whether I should buy the HD-DVD drive or just take the plunge and get a PS3. Price isn't the issue... I just want to know which format "wins"... I don't want to buy a movie thrice. That's just annoying.

You know it didn't really matter to me who was going to win when I pulled the trigger. I more looked at it like a console purchase. When there were enough movies on it to justify the cost I did it. If I could get a Blu Ray player for under $200 right now I would probably buy one.

corin7 on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Blazing Saddles and Casablanca are both great movies. Unfortunately, given their age they might not benefit much from being in HD unless they've also been heavily cleaned up. Seabiscuit was a damned good movie (IMO), and it would look devastatingly good in HD because it's loaded with great photography.

You could sell HDDVD just by putting Seabiscuit on two TVs side by side ... one on HDDVD and the other on DVD.

Games will never use the HDDVD drive, simply because it's not standard.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Casablanca???

You do know that B&W film can get you a more detailed picture than color, right?

It doesn't matter how old the film is. As long as the grain resolution is greater than the final transfer resolution and the film has been preserved well, it'll look amazing.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    Also, perhaps edit the title to clarify that the $179.99 is specifically for the 360's add-on drive. I can imagine a lot of people clicking on this thread excited about a standalone player price drop.

I really have to second this. I clicked on it half thinking to myself Blue Ray just had it's balls ripped off and shoved down it's throat by HD-DVD which is obviously not the case at all.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Blazing Saddles and Casablanca are both great movies. Unfortunately, given their age they might not benefit much from being in HD unless they've also been heavily cleaned up. Seabiscuit was a damned good movie (IMO), and it would look devastatingly good in HD because it's loaded with great photography.

You could sell HDDVD just by putting Seabiscuit on two TVs side by side ... one on HDDVD and the other on DVD.

Games will never use the HDDVD drive, simply because it's not standard.

Actually, apparently some HD heads are peeing themselves over how nice the Casablanca transfer is.
    The black and white image is wonderful. The source material has been meticulously cleaned up, and good luck finding a speck of dirt, dropouts or inconsistencies in contrast or black levels. The film has a nice, deep and rich look, with excellent smoothness across the entire grayscale. Sharpness is perhaps slightly "soft" by today's standards, but terrific for a film from 1942. I continue to marvel at how deep and detailed this film looks. Fine textures throughout are clearly visible -- I could make out indentations on the spine of a book, or see slight creases in the clean whites of Humphrey Bogart's tuxedo. I am also grateful Warner didn't over-tweak this one -- whites never bloom and at no point is the image overly contrasted in an effort to make the film look "newer" or "glossier." Instead, 'Casablanca' maintains a very natural, film-like look throughout. Without a doubt this is the finest black and white transfer I've seen on high-def, period, and up there with the best remasters ever created for the home theater environment.

There's also an assload of special features on the disc. For the first time ever, I actually want an HD-format movie -- I love Casablanca. <3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I really have to second this. I clicked on it half thinking to myself Blue Ray just had it's balls ripped off and shoved down it's throat by HD-DVD which is obviously not the case at all.

It was my bad on the thread title. Unfortunately the OP can't change their thread titles even when editing. =(

Maybe a mod could do this ...

----

Bamelin on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »

It was my bad on the thread title. Unfortunately the OP can't change their thread titles even when editing. =(

----

Do the quick edit, then click on "Go Advanced" to alter the title. It took me a few weeks to figure that one out. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2007

And to be honest, I'm looking forward to the Video Marketplace hitting in the Fall way more.

I've heard that the HD quality of movies on the Video Marketplace isn't as good as those on HD-DVD or Blue Ray. (no idea if this is true or not)

Bamelin on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

About 35% of US homes have HDTVS, and the rate of adoption is increasing pretty quickly.
    Try closer to 17%.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

----

Do the quick edit, then click on "Go Advanced" to alter the title. It took me a few weeks to figure that one out. :)

well I'll be damned. All this time I never realized I could change my OP titles. Thanks man!

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I've heard that the HD quality of movies on the Video Marketplace isn't as good as those on HD-DVD or Blue Ray. (no idea if this is true or not)

I have downloaded a few movies and they aren't quite as good but they aren't bad. The HD movies can take a while to download though and one movie basically fills what is left of my hard drive. I guess I am one of the people that would benefit from an elite. If the damn 120gb drive wasn't so stupidly over priced I would probably buy one.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Try closer to 17%.

You got a source? Cause the Consumer Electronics Association says you are dead wrong.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Try closer to 17%.

30% in June, according to the CEA.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/799/799952p1.html
    June 27, 2007 - According to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), HDTV adoption has grown to encompass 30% of American households. A study conducted by the organization reports that while ever growing numbers of consumers are aspiring to own HD-capable displays, a surprising number of owners do not receive HD programming, and some aren't even sure what HD content is.

According to the study, only 44% of HDTV owners are receiving HD programming by any means. Among those with the service, the majority (66%) are cable subscribers, while 27% use satellite, 8% broadcast, 3% fiber (Verizon's FiOS), and 3% internet. Among households with HD programming access, more than 50% report interest in paying extra for more channels.

While HDTV sales have not slacked in years, it's somewhat shocking that the majority of owners are using the new displays to watch nothing but standard definition material. Even more disheartening is the suggestion that some owners aren't even sure what is HD and what isn't. Extrapolating from the study's figures, it would seem that from the broad consumer perspective there is more appeal to be found in HD-displays' flat-panel form factor and bling value than from their actual advantages as high-resolution displays.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I misread the report initially. It's 30% now, expected to be 35 by the end of the year.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

I -think- you can plug a HD-DVD 360 drive into a Windows PC and it'll work, but I forget if this requires special drivers or not. And of course, a fast enough computer.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2007
    The 360 HD-DVD drive + Windows XP + PowerDVD HD will play any non token'd movie at 1080p (read: all of them at the moment and foreseeable future).

The 360 HD-DVD drive + Windows Vista + PowerDVD HD will play any non token'd movie at 1080p (read: all of them at the moment and foreseeable future), AND any token'd film at 1080p if you have a full HDCP chain from the outputs to the monitor.... which will happen sometime around 2012 when the mayan calendar ends and the world is destroyed by the terror of the dark tide.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...