As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [PHOTO THREAD] is too hot to keep one name!

• Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A partly peeled mouse-ball (from an old, non-optical mouse) using my ghetto macro solution:

_MG_2538.jpg

erisian pope on
  • Options
    anna_navarreanna_navarre Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    *shifty eyes*

20071117033144_blueink.jpg

anna_navarre on
    fruitsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's pretty

Mr. Fahrenheit on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I totally wandered into a mall at 11:30 at night! Then I totally walked around taking pictures for 30 minutes before I was totally thrown out by a security guard!

I hopefully got a neat HDR out of it. I've never done that before so we'll see how it turns out. You you should have seen this guard when I had my tripod set up in the middle of the mall.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    awesome as per usual a.n.

Also Altman, that's awesome! Pics plz.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    altmann wrote: »
    I totally wandered into a mall at 11:30 at night! Then I totally walked around taking pictures for 30 minutes before I was totally thrown out by a security guard!

I hopefully got a neat HDR out of it. I've never done that before so we'll see how it turns out. You you should have seen this guard when I had my tripod set up in the middle of the mall.
    All encompassingly.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    BECCA <3<3<3

<3!

anna_navarre on
    fruitsig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haven't posted in here in awhile. I don't *think* I've posted these. They are various shots from the past 2-3 months:

spadina_2.jpg

spadina_3.jpg

DSC_4114_2_3.jpg

DSC_4065.jpg
    *Nuit Blanche. I only had time to take a few photos of this event as I had a DJing gig later in the night and didn't want to haul around tons of tech everywhere. Its all all night long city wide art crawl in Toronto put on by Scotiabank. This was its 2nd year and it was quite fantastic. Tons of cool installations. I've also never seen so many people walking around and crowding the streets since the huge power out North America had X years ago.

DSC_4029.jpg

Not the greatest shots. I haven't touched my DLSR in ages. Been touching HVX200 more!

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    tmccooltmccool Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr. Brick, I'm a sucker for night shots and city shots, so I like these. Keep em coming.

tmccool on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cool and thanks.

I forgot to bring my good low light camera & lens to Nuit Blance (brought my D70s instead) so I had to super reduce the noise which makes the pics look flat.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    BECCA <3<3<3

<3!

I missed you, missy. Was it my harassment via site comments that brought you back?

You know it's bad when I update my site more often than you do. :P

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That, and I couldn't sleep last night.

anna_navarre on
    fruitsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well after futzing around in CS3s "merge HDR" for about an hour I finally figured out my bracketing was crappy. I didn't get the low exposure needed to really make that much of a difference. Regardless, here are the 2 i took in the mall:

EDIT: holy shit I just downloaded the photomatrix plugin for CS3 and it works 900% better than the original. I'll post my crappy photomatrix watermarked versions (I'm not paying $70 for a plugin... yet) soon.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Check out HDRShop. There is a free non-water marked version of it. The pro version is pretty much for high end CG stuff.

Also, if your taking raws and you feel your exposures are off, you can always adjust the exposure a bit in post.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok here are the photomatrix results (sorry for the watermarks):

2041014037_d33bcbaf48_b.jpg
    I did the processing on this one and kinda screwed it up. Oh well, I'm learning.

2041811400_32026b4cf9_b.jpg
    I'm happy w/this one.

2041015533_50f399f265_b.jpg
    Finally, this one turned out way better than I thought. I had finally figured out how to use the plugin properly so this one comes out better and more natural than the first 2.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am quite out of practice.

chemsmall.jpg

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cool mall shots. A little noisey tho.
    You can controll that in Photomatix.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    When you selectively color that much, CGF, it kind of ruins the effect.

Sheri on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When you selectively color at all, it kind of ruins the effect.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Altmann I love your HDRs, a bit noisy but the fact that they aren't tone mapped all to hell makes me love the shit out of them.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks Veritas. I definitely know what you mean with the stupid HDR insanity. I liked the concept of HDR more for the reason of actually capturing what my eye is seeing more accurately than making some super-insano colory image. I messed up on the noise partially because I didn't bracket it correctly and like a dork, left it on 800 ISO from when I was handheld shooting in the mall. But hey, it was my first attempt and I am definitely going to attempt more.

I'm using the photomatix plugin, I may spring for the application itself though, if I keep doing this.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    ZimarooskiZimarooski Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alttman, I really like the second picture. The values and entanglement of the stool legs are a treat :D

Nice composition, CGF. The only qualm I have about the picture is the contrast between the red thing and the...uh...bag of coke? You can really tell it's been post-processed, and the colors themselves are distracting in relation to the blue beaker.

This is the side of my head.

Newproffff.jpg

Zimarooski on
    Favicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gif
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Old old old old material, new editing.

temp1uk9.jpg
    temp2ke3.jpg

2nd one is favored.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Awesome shot Tini, love it.

Forced myself out in the cold today to shoot some stuff, trying to improve so c&c very welcome and greatly appreciated!

A lamp I made for my room
    2048306168_ec9e413bcc.jpg

Creek near where I live (Tried to get that misty water effect..)
    2048306152_3991098e70.jpg

I think this one is kind of good, originally it's on blue background but I think it turned out better in B&W
    2048306128_800f9d15f8.jpg

The original..
    2048306124_07a491249b.jpg

Some buildings near my home
    2048306162_e2f70811da.jpg

djFindus on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know I'm torn on your blue and B&W versions there, either way I like the clean shot there some excellent lines running through it.

Can't really see the building in that last shot though probably could have been exposed a bit longer.

Veritas on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Posted for novelty (and spoilered because it's a little painful on the eyes):
    _MG_2715.jpg

It's an extreme closeup of the penny-arcade forums tab in firefox - you can see clearly the R G and B pixels in the CRT monitor. If you can't recognize the wombat and the text, try standing about 5 feet back from your display.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    GoshingaGoshinga Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The white balance is kinda fucked in the creek shot, DJ.

Unless you were going for that really.. blue effect.

Goshinga on
  • Options
    MEADONEMEADONE Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Perhaps something halfway decent while leaving the set of a small video I helped shoot for a friend's production class at UF.
    returntothecity.jpg

MEADONE on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks, any crits would be greatly appreciated.

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MEADONE wrote: »
    Perhaps something halfway decent while leaving the set of a small video I helped shoot for a friend's production class at UF.
    [pic]returntothecity.jpg[/pic]

I like this picture a lot. I could see this hanging on my wall. That being said, the watermark is a bit gaudy and unnecessary.

anable on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    anable wrote: »

I like this picture a lot. I could see this hanging on my wall. That being said, the watermark is a bit gaudy and unnecessary.

But if I took it off you'd friggin' steal it! Ha, ya you are prob right. I really have no idea how to properly present a photo on the internet. I'm really new to the whole thing

MEADONE on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    anable wrote: »

But if I took it off you'd friggin' steal it! Ha, ya you are prob right. I really have no idea how to properly present a photo on the internet. I'm really new to the whole thing

I just think it's a bit silly personally. If someone wants to steal that picture and go out of their way to make sure you don't get credit, they'd just crop the bottom 75 pixels.

anable on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, thanks for the compliment. I'm just recently getting into photography after deciding it would be a great way to practice composing and shooting for movies. Plus it's just sweet all its own.

MEADONE on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    That's a monstrous fucking signature, you know.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Big dirty post.

Went spelunking in the west wing of our building. It has a pretty steep history in of local arts, ect in Toronto. Its getting demolished (and the rest of building in the following years) to make way for condos! Infact, the whole neighborhood is nothing but warehouses. Live ins and otherwise. The whole place is going up with condos due to trendy factor that various hipster douche bags/ art nerds/ awsome people have made the area. So here is a large photo dump of our exploration of the empty wing:

Part 1
    aban_abell2-002.jpg
    aban_abell2-004.jpg
    aban_abell2-005.jpg
    aban_abell2-006.jpg
    aban_abell2-012.jpg

Part 2
    aban_abell2-017.jpg
    aban_abell2-021.jpg
    aban_abell2-025.jpg
    aban_abell2-029.jpg
    aban_abell2-031.jpg
    aban_abell2-037.jpg
    aban_abell2-040.jpg
    Aban_Abell-005.jpg

Part 3
    Aban_Abell-010.jpg
    Aban_Abell-016.jpg
    Aban_Abell-020.jpg
    Aban_Abell-022.jpg
    Aban_Abell-024.jpg
    Aban_Abell-025.jpg
    Aban_Abell-030.jpg
    Aban_Abell-035.jpg
    Aban_Abell-036.jpg
    Aban_Abell-037.jpg
    Aban_Abell-038.jpg
    Aban_Abell-040.jpg

RIP

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Neat stuff up in there!
    bombardier wrote: »
    That's a monstrous fucking signature, you know.
    What's the regulation size, sir?

MEADONE on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    Big dirty post.

Went spelunking in the west wing of our building. It has a pretty steep history in of local arts, ect in Toronto. Its getting demolished (and the rest of building in the following years) to make way for condos! Infact, the whole neighborhood is nothing but warehouses. Live ins and otherwise. The whole place is going up with condos due to trendy factor that various hipster douche bags/ art nerds/ awsome people have made the area. So here is a large photo dump of our exploration of the empty wing:

Part 1
    aban_abell2-002.jpg
    aban_abell2-004.jpg
    aban_abell2-005.jpg
    aban_abell2-006.jpg
    aban_abell2-012.jpg

Part 2
    aban_abell2-017.jpg
    aban_abell2-021.jpg
    aban_abell2-025.jpg
    aban_abell2-029.jpg
    aban_abell2-031.jpg
    aban_abell2-037.jpg
    aban_abell2-040.jpg
    Aban_Abell-005.jpg

Part 3
    Aban_Abell-010.jpg
    Aban_Abell-016.jpg
    Aban_Abell-020.jpg
    Aban_Abell-022.jpg
    Aban_Abell-024.jpg
    Aban_Abell-025.jpg
    Aban_Abell-030.jpg
    Aban_Abell-035.jpg
    Aban_Abell-036.jpg
    Aban_Abell-037.jpg
    Aban_Abell-038.jpg
    Aban_Abell-040.jpg

RIP
    I want that building.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Neat stuff up in there!

What's the regulation size, sir?
    500x80

Nice picture, btw.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    saltiness wrote: »
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    Big dirty post.

RIP
    I want that building.

So do I! The units on the 2nd floor are simply amazing.

I did some web searching and discovered that what will take the place of the west wing is.... an alley way and "arts walk" which will consist of 1 small unit with a wall designated for "art". Directly behind us also a big empty lot that will get another "artist loft" in which they will tear down the rest of the building for. I've got another 1 to 2 years before that happens then my wonderfull 2,400 square foot apartment will be demolished.

The owners of our building tried to stop this from happening, but the City of Toronto approved it and huge loads of money were thrown at them. The only good thing out of this is that once a vacate day has been set we get 6 months rent free.

But nothing will make up for the awesomeness of this building. Its huge, old and everything I have ever wanted in a home. Not to mention all the crazy awesome parties that hapen in here.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
This discussion has been closed.