As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Webtoon Guide

WindbitWindbit Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Where's the love for webtoons? Everybody makes a big deal about webcomics and neglects their animated cousins. I won't stand for it! Post links to your favorite webtoons here!

College University - My favorites are the Kung Fu Karl shorts. I highly recommend "Karl Goes to See 300."

Clock Suckers - Another series from the creators of College University, this one's about time travel! "If You Can't Beat Em', Then You're a Pussy" is hilarious!

My God, Robots! - The animation is really unique in these, and in many of the later ones it's downright awe-inspiring. The humor is often hit-or-miss, but I recommend Episode 7. He's also got a lot of nice art on his Deviant Art page.

Nockforce - It's new, with only one full episode, but it does have a few quickies where the characters talk about nerdy topics, such as the location of Endor and the Dinobots. Also, if you ever wanted to hear a song set to the henshin music from Sailor Moon, and I'm pretty sure almost no one has, check this out.

Gruesomestein's Monsters: Freddy and the Yeti - Pure cartoony goodness.

Windbit on

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Interesting. I can honestly say that I've never watched a "webtoon" before. I didn't even know they existed, really. I'll have to check some of those out.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Interesting. I can honestly say that I've never watched a "webtoon" before. I didn't even know they existed, really. I'll have to check some of those out.

You've never seen Homestar Runner? Or been to Newgrounds?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In my opinion, the vast majority of Newgrounds' content is awful.

Windbit on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wasn't there a huge hype about the sticky figures webtoons? Xiao Xiao or something?

*edit: and IIRC MTV2 was showing a few artistic flash videos a year or two ago.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've found a few gems on Newgrounds, namely the Bitey of Brackenwood flashes (though that guy has his own site). Really high quality animation.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I liked College University when it first started waaaaaay long ago, but it stopped being amusing after the first six cartoons or so.

My friends and I still can't talk about Bumblebee without doing a drunk Optimus voice, though.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MikeMan on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I liked the madness series flash videos for the sheer violence of it all. Probably means I'm some sort of psychopath.

http://www.krinkels.net/index_animations.html (Warning NSFW)

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »

Any discussion of webtoons begins and ends with Homestar.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I liked College University when it first started waaaaaay long ago, but it stopped being amusing after the first six cartoons or so.

My friends and I still can't talk about Bumblebee without doing a drunk Optimus voice, though.

Dood, seriously, check out the Kung Fu Karl's Illustrated Adventures series. They're pure gold!

Also, who else watches Baby Cakes on Super Deluxe?

Windbit on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Sewiously, you guys.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I personally don't care that much for Homestar Runner...

Please don't rape me.

Windbit on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »

You've never seen Homestar Runner? Or been to Newgrounds?
    Ah, forgot about Homestar Runner, though I haven't kept up with it as much lately. That's pretty much the only one, though. I've heard of Newgrounds, but I've never been there that I remember.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Personally, I love http://www.biteycastle.com/ to bits.

thundercake on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The only series I ever watched with any regularity were Homestar Runner and Red vs. Blue (which I guess doesn't really count as a web"toon"). Now that RvB has ended, all I watch is H*R, which is also not updated as often as it was in its glory days.

Sometimes I watch Space Tree the Space Tree From Space, but I can't watch it for too long in one sitting because my brain starts to hurt from the brain poison.

Newgrounds is obviously 95% pure shit, because the site allows any 13 year-old degenerate to upload his Flash abortions, but there are definitely some gems in there. At least, there used to be. Nowadays it seems to be nothing but "dress-up" games containing popular anime characters.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Sewiously, you guys.

Seriously.jpg

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/senormortgage.html

I mean, just fucking watch that. It's incredible. If you don't laugh you have no soul.

"One of them said they'd buy me lunch... but I don't see nobody takin me to Chick-Fil-A..."

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I mean, just fucking watch that. It's incredible. If you don't laugh you have no soul.

I guess I have no soul, then. I'm pretty sure I had one before. I wonder where it went?

Windbit on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Homestarrunner.net

Its dot com!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, I need to go back to that site again. I havent checked it out in a looooonnnnnggggg while.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One of my favorites is Arj and Poopy. The best one is the one called Shpants.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The Legendary Lily Pad has a ton of flash cartoons. The animation's mediocre, but most of them are pretty entertaining.

I really like GEOweasel for some reason. The animation is simple, but better than 99.99999999% of Newgrounds content. It lays down the funny pretty consistently. The cartoonist is also a pretty good musician, and his original music sounds like it came from an old-school video game. I especially like the opening theme used for this and a few other episodes: Okay Do Overs

Windbit on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What about that foul-mouthed squirrel that insults everybody with songs?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ah, yes, Ill Will Press' Foamy the Squirrel.

Windbit on
  • Options
    MidViciousMidVicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You want funny? Three words for you...

Retarded Animal Babies

MidVicious on
    "When you're in the type of business we're in, you don't get a criminal lawyer, you get a criminal lawyer!"
    -- Jesse, Breaking Bad
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jokes with Einstein is teh funny. I can't believe it took me so long to think about it.

Windbit on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Windbit wrote: »
    Ah, yes, Ill Will Press' Foamy the Squirrel.

No, god no. That's just stupid. And he's not clever. And it's retarded.

I hate that goddamned squirrel.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Happy Tree Friends is periodically entertaining. The best part though, is watching illiterate parents who can't read the warning on the boxes buy the DVDs for their tots because of the cute characters on the front.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know if it's a webtoon because there's just one episode, but Adventure Time is the greatest piece of animation to ever be crammed into the intertubes.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well that was interesting. It was animated very well, and it was completely random. And I love random!

Windbit on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just had to share this, and I didn't want to catch flak from starting a new topic for something you can't debate. It's a music video that Andrew Kauvervane made as a commission, and it's rather impressive IMO. The animation is good and quirky, and the lip synching is near perfect.

The She-Beats Detective X Music Video

I've always liked this guy's work: In an Internet full of crappily animated flash cartoons, he stands as a beacon of hope for the future of the animation industry! Seriously, I'm expecting him to at least be a fairly well known storyboard artist, if not the creator of a TV cartoon.

Windbit on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Space Tree gets pretty dull towards the end of its run, but the first couple episodes always make me chuckle. Especially the first.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I don't know if it's a webtoon because there's just one episode, but Adventure Time is the greatest piece of animation to ever be crammed into the intertubes.
    Well technically it was on Nickalodeon first so no. However I have this theory that enough concentrated awsome can bend the fabric of reality itself, so we'll let this one pass.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Waterman is the my personal favorite. It's like a funnier Family Guy, without all the retard jokes.
    "And that's why I recommend "One Thousand and One Ways to Knife a Homless Person." was something I said regularly in 9th grade.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/senormortgage.html

"One of them said they'd buy me lunch... but I don't see nobody takin me to Chick-Fil-A..."
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail175.html

I could do this all day.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png