As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The actual number of US troops dead in Iraq: over 15,000

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Even if it were true, it's still a pretty good kill ratio.

If we were going for "Kill Ratio," don't you think we'd just bomb bomb and bomb some more?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    what your saying would be as sensible as every military family in the country calling each other to count the bodies and then calling you personally to let you know.

think before you type plz.
    You understand what happens when people in the military die, right? Money is disbursed, honors are given, multiple relatives are contacted by the government, etc etc. More so the family receives a report as to what happened.

Now, if what you're saying is true, then there are 12k families out there who don't care about any of that.

He's suggesting that the families are aware of it, but that they think he is on the official tally for Iraq rather than Germany. The problem being that 1) he's yet to prove this actually is happening, and 2) everything else that's wrong with it.

moniker on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Does he have a point about people dying out-of-country as a result of injuries failing to be reported in the "official number"? What about suicides or people who die in, say, traffic accidents in-country or whatever.

He might, but it's hard to take someone seriously when they intersperse their article with personal insults towards Dubya, and other related stupidity.

I mean, most of the folks at NPR aren't big fans of the Prez either, but you never hear them say, "...and with a 26% approval rating, the Bush Administration is clamoring for any sign of success in Iraq, the big dumb stupidheads. For NPR news, I'm Lakshmi Singh in Kuala Lumpur."

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But can't anyone access the official tally?

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    GoldAgainstTheSoulGoldAgainstTheSoul Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    surely any of you can see what bush has to gain by keeping military deaths as narrowly defined as possible.

it doesn't take that much reasoning power.
    Ah, yes, the old "If you don't believe my unsubstantiated claims, you must be stupid" argument. How I've missed you.

Just because someone could benefit from a deception doesn't mean that that deception is occurring; in this case, I don't believe this particular deception is even feasible for them to attempt.

yet, you have nothing to offer to oppose said information. just a belief in your own cynical wallowing.

the truth will come out eventually, just like it did with Vietnam, and you'll be just as uninformed then too.

I didn't say you were stupid, btw, just said you were lazy and uninformed.
    so the argument i'm using isn't the one you "missed" at all.
    Another example of your lack of reasoning power.

it sucks having to discuss these things with people who never take the time to truly understand the nature of war and propaganda, but such is the internet.

GoldAgainstTheSoul on
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gold, you need to stop now. The way you're posting is... well... remarkably similar to the way I was posting when I first joined these boards. I'm not sure if you have the same issues I have (unlikely), but the lack of any kind of substantiation and aggresive attitude aren't good signs that you're mentally on the level.

At the very least take a bit of time off, plan out your argument carefully, with multiple sources for citation, and then come back and try this again. If you continue this thread will simply be you getting more upset and the rest of the forum ridiculing you.

Saved on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Casket wrote: »
    Sensationalist bullshit thread. That site shows *one* dead, and it doesn't even look like a soldier. And then a picture of 50 coffins.

what?
    this thread would meet your standards if there was a picture of 7,000 coffins?

are you stupid?
    and yes i'm calling this guy stupid.:lol:

GoldAgainstTheSoul on
  • Options
    TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    It's less the number of deaths that pisses people off as it is the period of time over which those deaths have occurred and during which nothing has changed. If the war cost 15k lives but everything became flowers and lollipops support for the war would still be high. It's the constant lack of any tangible advancement that's the issue.

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    surely any of you can see what bush has to gain by keeping military deaths as narrowly defined as possible.

it doesn't take that much reasoning power.
    Ah, yes, the old "If you don't believe my unsubstantiated claims, you must be stupid" argument. How I've missed you.

Just because someone could benefit from a deception doesn't mean that that deception is occurring; in this case, I don't believe this particular deception is even feasible for them to attempt.

yet, you have nothing to offer to oppose said information. just a belief in your own cynical wallowing.

the truth will come out eventually, just like it did with Vietnam, and you'll be just as uninformed then too.

it sucks having to discuss these things with people who never take the time to truly understand the nature of war and propaganda, but such is the internet.

(biting tongue...) That's better.

If I assert that "A is true", then it's my responsiblity to defend that statement. And no, calling people idiots is not a defense.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here then.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Yes, it really does but it seems like you're compelled to not understand war, propaganda, or reasoning.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

What information? I asked you to substantiate this guy's claims in the first post. Would you mind doing that so that there would actually, you know, be information that we could consider and debunk.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Here then.
    In fact, in the link I gave shows one person who died of illness in Homburg Germany.

Damn I'm good at finding information.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I take it by this comment that you have elected not to read my philosophical dialogue on burden of proof.
    Joke's on you, I wasn't even born yet then!
    "I didn't say you're stupid; by the way, you're stupid"

It must be so great being one of only seventeen people in the world who know the truth of it all. Clearly it isn't possible that you're simply batshit insane. It's always the other six billion people who are crazy.
    Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahaahahaahahahaha oh god im having a stroke

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Here then.
    In fact, in the link I gave shows one person who died of illness in Homburg Germany.

I lost a sock the other day. Mind taking a crack at it?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hell, there's dozens of people on that list who died in Homburg and Landstuhl Germany. I wonder why they got reported but not these 12k others.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Here then.

I lost a sock the other day. Mind taking a crack at it?
    It is also probably in Germany.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Here then.

That's all the evidence you really need. I think that if there were 12,000 people missing from that list, their families would notice. I'm curious as to what Gold thinks about that.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Saved wrote: »
    Gold, you need to stop now. The way you're posting is... well... remarkably similar to the way I was posting when I first joined these boards. I'm not sure if you have the same issues I have (unlikely), but the lack of any kind of substantiation and aggresive attitude aren't good signs that you're mentally on the level.

At the very least take a bit of time off, plan out your argument carefully, with multiple sources for citation, and then come back and try this again. If you continue this thread will simply be you getting more upset and the rest of the forum ridiculing you.

1. im not upset.
    2. i could care less what strangers on a silly forum "think about me".

here is some advice for you.

leave high school.

GoldAgainstTheSoul on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Looks like the conspiracy theorist is starting to get a touch flustered.

I almost wish entropykid was here to show him how to do this sort of thing properly.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Saved wrote: »

1. im not upset.
    2. i could care less what strangers on a silly forum "think about me".

here is some advice for you.

leave high school.

The phrase is 'couldn't care less' not 'could care less' because if you could care less that means you do actually care about what strangers on a silly forum think about you, which you apparently do.

Here is some advice for you. Go back to High School. Or at least get your GED.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So are you advising Saved to drop out, or what

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think this issue has been pretty much settled. There is a 99% chance that this is some retarded conspiracy theory that holds little water when you try to think about how this could happen. There are way too many ways to prove that the official list is the proper one.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay. I feel stupider for reading this thread. Thanks a LOT.

FTT

Tach on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drop out and join the army.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »

I'd rather join the navy.

Because then you can sail the seven seas.
    And join your fellow man.
    In buttsex.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait, wait, I know!

The reptilians are behind this!

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »

I'd rather join the navy.

Because then you can sail the seven seas.
    And join your fellow man.
    In buttsex.
    Ok, what I really meant was

Drop out and join the <insert branch of the military here>

mrflippy on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's Crab People, it's always Crab People

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Here then.

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=11203

Also, holding "page down" through that list is really, really D:

Doc on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Tostitos wrote: »
    Wait, wait, I know!

The reptilians are behind this!

I know, I already covered it. Do you also feel sorry for the uninformed fools who don't realize the truth?

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rust wrote: »
    Looks like the conspiracy theorist is starting to get a touch flustered.

I almost wish entropykid was here to show him how to do this sort of thing properly.

Damnit, NO. Does the term "positive feedback loop" mean anything to you?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, does the military even take high school dropouts? I thought they had standards.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, does the military even take high school dropouts? I thought they had standards.

Not anymore.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

They've been lowered to meet the need for bodies. I'm pretty sure they'll take dropouts now. Also, drug related felons and people charged with assault crimes.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

They've been lowered to meet the need for bodies. I'm pretty sure they'll take dropouts now. Also, drug related felons and people charged with assault crimes.
    Well, I'm sure that'll help avoid another Abu Ghraib type scandal

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Let's not forget gang members and white supremacists, too.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Highly entertaining.

though I'm only saying this because I'm being controlled by the repitilian horde.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Am I the only one who thinks military service will someday become an optional/compulsory sentence for criminal offenders?

Regarding the OP: Iraqi deaths are the ones we can keep in conservative estimates since we really have no way of finding out exactly how many have perished. That's not the case with American dead. When one of soldiers die, we know about it. The administration may be able to cover up how they died (at least temporarily), but not the fact of their death. To say nothing of twelve thousand more than the number on paper.

Glyph on
  • Options
    pdk01pdk01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Let's not forget gang members and white supremacists, too.

Well, they DO have 15,000 dead to replace.

pdk01 on
This discussion has been closed.