As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superbad

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Apparently Balls of Fury is fantastic.

That looks miles ahead of Walk Hard, despite being in the same sort of absurd comedy genre.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I want to be angry about the obvious connections to Johnny Cash 'Walk Hard' has, but at the same time I think it could e cringingly funny.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »

That looks miles ahead of Walk Hard, despite being in the same sort of absurd comedy genre.

now to me it seems like the opposite should be true. Balls of Fury loses points for me by using a joke taht was in Dodgeball in its commercial. it just seems terrible.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »

now to me it seems like the opposite should be true. Balls of Fury loses points for me by using a joke taht was in Dodgeball in its commercial. it just seems terrible.

what joke?

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    the little girl fake crying and then attacking the big guy when he comes up to her to apologize.

it's not like dodgeball invented the idea but I mean... you are already a recent comedy based around a fairly ridiculous idea for a competitive sport, and then you directly steal a joke from dodgeball.

not saying I wouldn't see the movie, but little things like that put a bad taste in my mouth.

Variable on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Balls of Fury has George Lopez, and he is a man that knows what funny is.

Still, I'm very hesitant. I looks several orders of magnitude worse than Walk Hard ever could.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yeah the George Lopez spotting surprised me, but he could just be pulling a walken/jackson.

Variable on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok, scratch what I just said, I just got back from Balls of Fury.

It's crap.

A few chuckleworthy parts, but mostly it's just really bad. It wasn't even as though the actors did a bad job, it was just a shitty script. (Which was a shame, because it seemed like this might have been the break out role for the lead character.)

Sceptre on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I'm not expecting anything even remotely mediocre from Balls of Fury or Walk Hard. I won't see them.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm really surprised. I usually find myself the last person to want to see most comedies, but Walk Hard doesn't seem to interest many people.

I knew I was buying a ticket the minute I heard Paul Rudd was playing John Lennon.

Variable on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Paul Rudd is the only reason I would see that movie.

And I might leave after his scene.

WHEN DOES PAUL RUDD GET TO STAR EHHHH

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    clueless 2

Variable on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, scratch what I just said, I just got back from Balls of Fury.

It's crap.

A few chuckleworthy parts, but mostly it's just really bad. It wasn't even as though the actors did a bad job, it was just a shitty script. (Which was a shame, because it seemed like this might have been the break out role for the lead character.)

It was written by two of the Reno 911! guys. QED.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Balls of Fury looked for about 9 seconds that it might be awesome (Walken in the beginning, and the line 'in the world of illegal underground ping-pong), but then very quickly turned to shit. The ball-punching at the end really just epitomised how stupid it looked. The only part I laughed at was when the guy is like 'No, you catch bees' and drops the box and runs. It also has a Masi Oka cameo! =O

Walk Hard looked even dumber than that. It just seemed to be trying to cash in on the whole absurdist comedy thing that has already been done as well as it's going to be done by movies like Anchorman and Talladega Nights (at least in my opinion). It just looked really crappy.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The only part I laughed at was when the guy is like 'No, you catch bees' and drops the box and runs.

"If you can dodge a [object], you can dodge a ball!"

It's just so derivative.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The only part I laughed at was when the guy is like 'No, you catch bees' and drops the box and runs.

"If you can dodge a [object], you can dodge a ball!"

It's just so derivative.

yes. exactly. more derivative than I ever thought a movie would be that expects to make money. as I said earlier, it's not just the same type of humor (which I'd say is fine), nor is it that it's the same type of humor applied to a ridiculous sport taken too seriously (which is a problem but if done right, hey, it'd be called "the next dodgeball)... but they are literally taking jokes from dodgeball.

Variable on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Snork wrote: »
    Walk Hard looked even dumber than that. It just seemed to be trying to cash in on the whole absurdist comedy thing that has already been done as well as it's going to be done by movies like Anchorman and Talladega Nights (at least in my opinion). It just looked really crappy.

It looks like it's just a parody of that Johnny Cash film, or Ray. The type of comedy in the movie, like you mentioned, has been done in top form already. The chance of this movie not being predictable seems slim, not just because it likely follows the same comedic formula as Anchorman and Talladega Nights, but because it's like a mock version of those other movies I mentioned.

I can't really see the star of this film as a leading actor, either.

So ya, not looking so good.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't think using the same form of comedy as another movie makes it less likely to be funny. I mean, I like both Airplanes, all three Naked Guns, and those are all similar.

As far as it being just a parody of Walk The Line, I agree that if they too directly take the parody route, it's going to suck... but I'm not convinced that that is what's going to happen yet. They may make it unique enough in its own way.

Also I fully believe John C. Reilly can carry a movie, but that's just personal preference. I'm not trying to say this movie will be great, because it's totally possible it will suck (I try not to get hyped up on comedies anymore because so many are bad) but I think it's worth a shot.

Variable on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I think somethings wrong with me. I thought the first 10 minutes or so of Superbad were amazing, and then I was more or less bored the rest of the time. I mean, sure there were some good bits, but the whole thing just didn't strike me as noteworthy.

I mean, I want to like the movie, I really do. It just did nothing for me.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I just want to say I hope I'm not the only person to appreciate the hilarity and irony in the line 'suck dick at fucking pussy'.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I just want to say I hope I'm not the only person to appreciate the hilarity and irony in the line 'suck dick at fucking pussy'.

Oh yeah, I chortled. It was a very immature line, and the joke was much more obvious than the rest of the jokes in the movie, but it was welcome.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    werehippy wrote: »
    So, I think somethings wrong with me. I thought the first 10 minutes or so of Superbad were amazing, and then I was more or less bored the rest of the time. I mean, sure there were some good bits, but the whole thing just didn't strike me as noteworthy.

I mean, I want to like the movie, I really do. It just did nothing for me.

there's nothing wrong with you.

Variable on
  • Options
    KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "It's a nice looking cock."

I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but that line is not in the actual movie. It cuts right before he says that.

I hate it when you are looking forward to seeing crap that you saw in the trailer and it's not in the actual movie.

However I agree with the general sentiment here: this movie is awesome. I made a McLovin Mii.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I kind of like it sometimes. Although I'll admit, I've only seen two trailers for this movie, one was in April linked to from this forum, and the other was like the day after I saw the movie, so I don't feel like I missed out on a lot. It's certainly preferable to all the good parts being in the trailers.

Snork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Krentz wrote: »

I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but that line is not in the actual movie. It cuts right before he says that.

I hate it when you are looking forward to seeing crap that you saw in the trailer and it's not in the actual movie.

However I agree with the general sentiment here: this movie is awesome. I made a McLovin Mii.

I was highly disappointed by its removal as well. But, that's the nature of movies that are at least partially improve; much of the good gets left out for the sake of time.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Screenshots?

setrajonas on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Seriously.
    I was waiting for "It's like a sexy hamburger".
    But it never came :(

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    For me, Superbad is the only movie that was even funnier when I watched it the second time. It will also be the only DVD I own.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    For me, Superbad is the only movie that was even funnier when I watched it the second time. It will also be the only DVD I own.

that's insanity.

Variable on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    ege02 wrote: »

that's insanity.

I meant "legally own".

ege02 on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Still crazy.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I admit that I may be a bit of a prude, and may not "get" this type of movie (though I did enjoy american pie a bit), but this movie was simply horrible. It was just so offensive and not funny that, about 20 minutes into it, I couldn't take any more and just walked out, which was a first. I mean, I was even able to sit through balls of fury and talledega nights.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Spoit wrote: »
    I admit that I may be a bit of a prude, and may not "get" this type of movie (though I did enjoy american pie a bit), but this movie was simply horrible. It was just so offensive and not funny that, about 20 minutes into it, I couldn't take any more and just walked out, which was a first. I mean, I was even able to sit through balls of fury and talledega nights.

Unfunny prude.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I want your existence in this world to end.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

I want your existence in this world to end.
    Seriously.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    #14#14 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    how is this movie offensive.

#14 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So it looks like Jonah Hill and Judd Apatow are both involved with Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story, which looks like it might be the worst movie ever. I guess that John Reilly will never escape the shadow of Talladega Nights.

Even though it looks like he's done a great deal of supporting work from imdb.

If Talladega Nights is the movie you know John C. Reilly best from you really need to see more/better movies.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    So it looks like Jonah Hill and Judd Apatow are both involved with Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story, which looks like it might be the worst movie ever. I guess that John Reilly will never escape the shadow of Talladega Nights.

Even though it looks like he's done a great deal of supporting work from imdb.

If Talladega Nights is the movie you know John C. Reilly best from you really need to see more/better movies.

Chicago, The Aviator, Boogie Nights, Days of Thunder... those are ones I can remember just off the top of my head. He was excellent in Chicago, though, absolutely excellent.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

You are a HUGE prude. Also you missed like the best parts of the whole movie. GRATS.

Medopine on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    #14 wrote: »
    how is this movie offensive.

Peniscock.

Crayon on