As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Feel Old for the First Time

• Options
    senor_xsenor_x Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Fellhand wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    At work the other day, Pearl Jam's "Better Man" followed up a Queen song on the classic rock station. We were just kind of looked around at each other in helpless bewilderment. I am not old enough for that to be a "classic" song yet.

But like I said, that song is almost 15 years old now (13 going on 14 actually). What's the cutoff for "classic?"

I always thought classic was defined by 20 years.

As did I.

I always get a feeling of "God I'm old" when something is mentioned that I remember happening and can remember where I was when it happened. Every single time I ask myself "has it really has been that long" followed by a quick "man, I'm old"

The music thing does it the most for me as well. The local classic station plays Pearl Jam, GnR, and Achtung Baby-era U2. To further put it in perspective, Weezer's Blue Album already has a 10-yr deluxe edition...which is already 3 years old.

And then there's the whole thinning and prematurely-graying hair, body slowly breaking down part.

senor_x on
    Senor10.gif Wii 1490 9129 8407 5923
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How the fuck can somebody not know who Dire Straits are? That's blasphemy, regardless of age.

Also, nothing will make you feel older than being 27 years old in a room full of 18-year-old freshmen. Especially the girls. Because then you feel creepy and old.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saw a kid of about 14 wearing a Dookie t-shirt (Green Day album) - I bought that album on tape!.

The real sign of getting old is when you get asked for ID and you treat it as a compliment rather than an annoyance.

Gorak on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I ran into a girl from my high school graduating class and she's married and expecting her first child in four weeks.

I'm 19.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I ran into a girl from my high school graduating class and she's married and expecting her first child in four weeks.

I'm 19.

That doesn't mean you're old, that just means she's starting early.

Hell, the girl I went on my first date with had a kid too...during my junior year. ;-)
    No, it wasn't mine. We only went on like two dates. But still, amusing. She said I didn't know how to treat a lady or some such, and that cowboys were better at that. Yeah, how'd that work out?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Around here it's normal. I graduated in a town not that far away from Salt Lake City if that clears some things up.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm 19.

Hell, the girl I went on my first date with had a kid too...during my junior year. ;-)
    No, it wasn't mine. We only went on like two dates. But still, amusing. She said I didn't know how to treat a lady or some such, and that cowboys were better at that. Yeah, how'd that work out?

Man, my roommate is 19. Her mom is 39, which is like... 3 years older than my oldest brother.

That didn't make me feel old, it just kinda weirded me out.

Then again she's hot, and I think 39 is still in the "hittable" age range for me :lol:

Al_wat on
  • Options
    OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I remember when 8 Mile came out I saw a guy with fucking wrinkles and a gray ZZ-top-length beard get carded. I'm like, what the fuck? I mean, if some 15-year-old is so gung-ho to see 8 Mile that he's willing to have a professional make-up artist make him look that old, fuck, let him see it.

Laughed for a solid two minutes.

Gracias, senor.

Oceaniax on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I felt pretty old when I noticed that Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was on Nick at Nite....

And I'm not old at all. But still.

Inx on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, if you assume that ladies are supposed to have kids...

mrflippy on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll feel old when the stuff I used to watch on TV as a kid is no longer the best stuff ever made for the young, and when I cease to be the target demographic for cool things. Since the demographic seems to be getting older just as fast as I am, and I grew up with transformers and the D+D cartoon show I don't think there is much risk yet.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I feel old because I've finally reached the age where I see teenagers as frightening harbingers of doom rather than just younger more retarded versions of me.

Also my liver hurts.

My liver never used to hurt.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Inx wrote: »
    I felt pretty old when I noticed that Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was on Nick at Nite....

And I'm not old at all. But still.

When Growing Pains came on Nick at Nite, I had a very interesting feeling. I felt old, yet really young at the same time. It was weird.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I went back to my hometown this weekend and went to a soccer game that Oregon State was putting on. There were lots of high school people there. They looked so young. I felt like a wrinkly hag next to to those girls.

Medopine on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I feel old because I've finally reached the age where I see teenagers as frightening harbingers of doom rather than just younger more retarded versions of me.

Also my liver hurts.

You're not old, you're drunk.

Johannen on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Johannen wrote: »

Also my liver hurts.

You're not old, you're drunk.

A bit. But only to kill the pain from the rheumatism.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Being offered beer at a restaurant and being accused of being my nine-years-younger sister's father at age 15, and still having failed to date a non-teenager has absolutely ruined my sense of age.

It doesn't help that my family ages at like half average speed, and that I ignore most passing fad cultural activities so I can barely tell the difference between one decade and another.

Time doesn't work for me.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I first felt old when two of the mets star young players were a year older than me. and they are amazing at baseball and also rich.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I first felt old when two of the mets star young players were a year older than me. and they are amazing at baseball and also rich.

So older and a failure then? Isn't that uplifting? ;-)

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nothing is worse than when all the new singers are younger than you.

Damn you Britney Spears.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm gonna be 21 in January, and that's going to be the end of an era. The era of my youth shall come to a bitter and swift end... fuck.

Johannen on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm 26 so fuck you all

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »

So older and a failure then? Isn't that uplifting? ;-)

hey, at least I'm not nexus right?

Variable on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    the first time I don't remember what happened at the bar the night before. I've always had great drunk memory, but it's the first thing to go when you reach your mid-20s.

Actually thinking about some of the things I DO remember doing when drunk, I'm glad to see that ability go.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When three of my best friends got married within a year of each other.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    When my favourite TV show, game and bands are all over ten years old. I'm seriously not even remotely close to being old but I feel like it because all of the stuff I enjoy is older, and not the stuff that people of my age group are usually in to.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I'm 19.

:|

Around here, if they aren't knocked up by sophomore year, they're barren.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm 26 so fuck you all

'81 reprazent

I work at a university and all of my employees are college students. Each new crop of freshmen is a constant reminder of my mortality.

I was never too into the popular things when I was younger, but at least I knew what was what. Now I just have no clue at all.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think this moment happened two days ago.

The song 'Earth Angel' was playing on the radio at work, and I mentioned to a girl if I was the only one that was reminded of the 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' movie from it.
    (It's the track played during the prom massacre.)

She goes 'there was a movie?'

And this makes three '81ers (so far).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Born in 82 so not far off from you guys. That song was also sung in the Back to the Future movie during Marty's parents prom.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Decius wrote: »
    Born in 82 so not far off from you guys. That song was also sung in the Back to the Future movie during Marty's parents prom.

specifically the part where they kiss.

Variable on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, when I realized people born when I was in elementary school are now in their late teens or early 20s. Like say, most of the readership of this board. ;-)

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think this moment happened two days ago.

The song 'Earth Angel' was playing on the radio at work, and I mentioned to a girl if I was the only one that was reminded of the 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' movie from it.
    (It's the track played during the prom massacre.)

She goes 'there was a movie?'

And this makes three '81ers (so far).

Ouch. She might as well have grabbed your walker from you and pushed you down a flight of stairs while ripping up your AARP card.

Gim on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    filing tax returns was my first time feeling old, even though that was in college.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    ZeeBeeKayZeeBeeKay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Learning to drive is making me feel older, but not necessarily old.
    'Cause I'm fifteen.

ZeeBeeKay on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    When three of my best friends got married within a year of each other.

At the end of this year I will have had eleventy billion friends get married, with plenty more I'm sure next year.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ZeeBeeKay wrote: »
    Learning to drive is making me feel older, but not necessarily old.
    'Cause I'm fifteen.

I never even got around to getting my license until I was 25.

Granny.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ZeeBeeKayZeeBeeKay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    at this rate I'll have my permit until I move out
    because fuck $400 for mandatory driver's ed
    also I am a junior this year

sooooooooooooo ooooooooooold

ZeeBeeKay on
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    :whistle: All my friends are married
    Every tom and dick and harry
    You must be strong
    To go it alone :whistle:

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I used to call young women ma'am at the restaraunt I worked at. It totally freaked them out, and Im sure they had long freakout conversations about it after I left the table.

aesir on