As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3:10 to Yuma Welcome back western, we missed you

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I caught the sneak preview of the 3:10 to Yuma on sunday. It was a surprisingly well crafted character tale with some brutality and solid direction. Bale and Crowe work great in the leads and the supporting cast was solid with some suprises (I had no idea Alan Tudyk was in this). Not a lot of jump cutting is done and the locale is pretty bleak looking, the western towns feel real dirty and sparse. More Pale Rideresque then say Tombstone. All in all this is a great modern western, even if its a remake.

Did anyone else catch the sneak preview? Or anyone else interested in this?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited September 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    So I caught the sneak preview of the 3:10 to Yuma on sunday. It was a surprisingly well crafted character tale with some brutality and solid direction. Bale and Crowe work great in the leads and the supporting cast was solid with some suprises (I had no idea Alan Tudyk was in this). Not a lot of jump cutting is done and the locale is pretty bleak looking, the western towns feel real dirty and sparse. More Pale Rideresque then say Tombstone. All in all this is a great modern western, even if its a remake.

Did anyone else catch the sneak preview? Or anyone else interested in this?

I'm probably going to see it this weekend. Shoot 'em Up comes first, though (that's this friday, right?).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Bale did not disappoint (does he ever? *Swoon*)

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Totally going to see this. Not a huge fan o' Russel Crowe but I can't stay away from Christian Bale.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Bale was great as Dan. He has a kind of sense of humor about the failing of his character, all the while the world just shits upon him. One thing I really liked is the film gets to where it's going fast (I also saw Death Sentence this weekend and it too got to the point of the movie fast), I like this kind of thing in film. Where they show you a scenario and instead of jerking you off for 45 minutes, get right to the quick of it.

Gun play was more tombstonesque then say Unforgiven, but it worked in the movie.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZahaladeenZahaladeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got to go see it with a mate from the paper, and it was fantastic. Bale was great, Crowe had his usual flirtations with the camera, but who really impressed me - and continues to do so - Ben Foster. This fellow is a thespian that has crazy fucker down to an art form.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah Foster as Charlie solid job, he took what could have been a throwaway role and made it his own, his mannerisms with his guns was well played. He needs to do more action.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah Foster as Charlie solid job, he took what could have been a throwaway role and made it his own, his mannerisms with his guns was well played. He needs to do more action.

Alpha Dog was a bit of a hit-and-miss flick, but his part as a skinhead, kung-fu tweaker was brilliant. Bad mo-fo.

He also did Hostage with Bruce Willis and literally stole every scene he was in. The guy has potential and seems to have some serious chops. Like to see him in a vehicle that has more exposure for his character. 3:10 certainly gave him some much needed room to move, and I hope this lands him some bigger and better parts in the action/drama/thriller genres.

Serious miscast with him as Angel in X-Men 3. But he'll be in 30 Days of Night which looks promising. He's also going to be in a rom/com that will probably give him cancer.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well rom/coms work as a vehicle for a leading man. Hugh Jackman did his fair share of them, as did Russel Crowe.

I'd like to see him get a starring vehicle in an action movie, perhaps Mangold or Wan can direct it. I tell you I wasn't a fan of the first saw movie, but Death Sentence had some solid direction and what limited action scenes were in the movie were very nice.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This looks cool. I hope I get to see it in the theater.

The girlfriend just started her school semester which apparently means we don't go to movies anymore.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You can always go by yourself. This movie is worth it in my opinion.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well rom/coms work as a vehicle for a leading man. Hugh Jackman did his fair share of them, as did Russel Crowe.

I'd like to see him get a starring vehicle in an action movie, perhaps Mangold or Wan can direct it. I tell you I wasn't a fan of the first saw movie, but Death Sentence had some solid direction and what limited action scenes were in the movie were very nice.

inre: Death Sentence, some of the most realistic brawls in film I have ever seen.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No no, that's not allowed. If there's any movie that she even kinda wants to see, I'm not permitted to see it until I can watch it with her, even if that means we have to wait for the DVD. And I know for a fact that she wants to see this.

This is why I haven't even gotten to see Bourne Ultimatum yet.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sucks darth, my lady usually lets me see whatever, but she'll come with.

Yeah I was tempted to make a topic for Death Sentence, but didn't want to add two new topics in a day. The brawls were realistic, camera wasn't jumpy, and the end shootout was like the rest of violence, brutal and shocking.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darthmix wrote: »
    No no, that's not allowed. If there's any movie that she even kinda wants to see, I'm not permitted to see it until I can watch it with her, even if that means we have to wait for the DVD. And I know for a fact that she wants to see this.

This is why I haven't even gotten to see Bourne Ultimatum yet.

Quit being so fucking whipped.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Has anyone checked on what the author of Death Sentece thought of the film? I hear he bloody loathed the Charlie Bronson films.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    not trying to read this thread just in case of accidental spoilers but I can't fucking wait for this movie. if it's out friday, I'll be seeing it friday.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I didn't really spoil anything variable, but I'll take care not to spoil things since the movie is not in wide release yet.

As for death sentence from the wiki on it.

According to the author of the movie based on his novel, Brian Garfield gave a positive nod to the film by stating in his official website, "While I could have done with a bit less blood-and-thunder, I think it's a stunningly good movie. In the details of its story it's quite different from the novel, but it's a movie, not a novel. In its cinematic way it connects with its audience and it makes the same point the book makes, and those are the things that count."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    So Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Bale did not disappoint (does he ever? *Swoon*)

Sounds like you haven't seen Empire of the Sun yet.

By far the most annoying, excruciating ADHD-instilled performance in any movie ever. God I wanted that kid to die SO much.

But I guess he was only like 10 or so back then and has admittedly improved somewhat since then.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Definitely gonna see this once its out.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Death Sentence, much like A History of Violence, got its selling point -- the action -- absolute right. Can't wait to see 3:10.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Death Sentence, much like A History of Violence, got its selling point -- the action -- absolute right. Can't wait to see 3:10.

History of Violence - brilliant. Can't wait for Eastern Promises.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I hadn't heard of Eastern Promises until I saw the preview, but Mortensen can play a conflicted guy well, and the preview was more then intriguing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I am glad more people saw Death Sentence over the weekend, I thought it was a great character portrayal, people acted like people for the most part, not machines. Goodman was awesome as the gun dealer for what little part he was in it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What was the last decent Western? Open Range?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I didn't see that but I heard good things, for me it was probably The Quick and the Dead though I know thats a polorizing film. Funnily enough that was one of Russel Crowe's first starring roles.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm sure that this movie doesn't classify as a traditional western, but the Three Burials of Marques Estrada was a great flick.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Seraphim Falls had great potential but in the end was a thrashing beast that needed to be put down.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Death Setence was pretty "meh," I felt.

The cop was awful. The wife was awful. Luke (the younger brother) was totally forgettable -- I didn't care about him at all.

But most of all the script was just horrible. Cliche after cliche, with some really gaping plot holes.

Which would have been fine if they had made it out to be a grindhouse flick from the beginning, but they kept mixing that with Serious Business.

Both aspects of the movie had really great moments, but it was just so damn inconsistent, both in tone and execution.

Still, I was entertained, and I've definitely seen worse.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Bale did not disappoint (does he ever? *Swoon*)
    Yea pretty much exactly my feelings. I don't remember the last movie I absolutely had to see.

At the same time though - with those feelings come the idea that I know I'm going to over hype myself for this.

So I'm going to try to remain calm and go see it after classes friday.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah watching War the week before made me appreciate Death Sentence more then the average viewer I believe.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    War has been found to give laboratory mice cancer.

In other news, remember when Jason Statham was cool?

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah watching War the week before made me appreciate Death Sentence more then the average viewer I believe.

I actually did the same thing. O_o

I actually enjoyed War more than Death Sentence; at least War was consistent -- consistently badass. :P

But seriously, War was stupid, bloody fun. I got what I came for, what I knew I was getting. I saw Jason Statham and Jet Li kicking the shit out of people, and that's all I wanted.

Death Sentence couldn't figure out what it wanted to be, and I really don't like that in a movie. I can get behind most any movie that sets out to be something, and acheives that goal (except maybe when that goal is right-wing propaganda). Want to be a stupid gorefest? Great. If you do that well, I'll probably enjoy that more than a half-assed attempt at something deeper.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »

I actually did the same thing. O_o

I actually enjoyed War more than Death Sentence; at least War was consistent -- consistently badass. :P

But seriously, War was stupid, bloody fun. I got what I came for, what I knew I was getting. I saw Jason Statham and Jet Li kicking the shit out of people, and that's all I wanted.

Death Sentence couldn't figure out what it wanted to be, and I really don't like that in a movie. I can get behind most any movie that sets out to be something, and acheives that goal (except maybe when that goal is right-wing propaganda). Want to be a stupid gorefest? Great. If you do that well, I'll probably enjoy that more than a half-assed attempt at something deeper.

I liked war for what it was, but War seemed like it just wanted to be a rated R movie. "We have blood, we have tits, we have some more blood!" Where as Death Sentence was a good character study and a general degradation of the guys goals.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I didn't see that but I heard good things, for me it was probably The Quick and the Dead though I know thats a polorizing film. Funnily enough that was one of Russel Crowe's first starring roles.

You should definitely check out Open Range - it's a fabulous flick. It's not a "revisionist Western" like Unforgiven or Dances with Wolves, and it's not an action movie that just happens to be in the West like Tombstone; it's an honest to god 1950s Western that was just made fifty years too late, was filmed in color and stars Costner and Duvall instead of Gary Cooper and William Holden.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I tried to catch the sneak preview, but it was sold out, damn it.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Zahaladeen wrote: »

When did he become otherwise?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited September 2007

When did he become otherwise?

The Transporter I & II.

Zahaladeen on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Between "The Prestige" (which I just saw, much to my chagrin; between that and "The Illusionist" who knew magicians were so freaking cool?) "Batman Begins" and the first Western I'll be seeing in theatres (wasn't born in time for the golden age, I'm afraid) this just reinforces that Christian Bale is the man.

And a definite nod to Death Sentence. I think that it's unfortunate the way the movie was promoted, it made it look entirely too much like an "action revenge badass" flick as opposed to the character study that it was. I think too many people had an idea that it would be like some cool "Dad kills *eeevilll* gangsters" movie as opposed to what it was, which I thought was great in itself. But, depending on how hard you were holding onto that "badass" vision, you could be disappointed. If you held onto that, the fighting and chase stuff could seem inconsistent with the rest of the movie. I think it helps to view the gore and the gunplay and the foot-chase as indicative of the father's descent. It all comes back to the head gangster's comment at the end, and the action elements are just the proof:

"Look at you, you look like us...look what I *made* you."

Alecthar on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can't wait to see this. I enjoy classic westerns (The Magnificent Seven, Leone's Dollars trilogy... haven't caught up on my John Wayne, though), and Christian Bale is pretty much awesomeness personified, so I am expecting great things from this movie.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got to go see it with a mate from the paper, and it was fantastic. Bale was great, Crowe had his usual flirtations with the camera, but who really impressed me - and continues to do so - Ben Foster. This fellow is a thespian that has crazy fucker down to an art form.

My best friend's name is Ben Foster.

One of my brother's besties is Kurt Russell. Which never fails to amuse.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I liked war for what it was, but War seemed like it just wanted to be a rated R movie. "We have blood, we have tits, we have some more blood!" Where as Death Sentence was a good character study and a general degradation of the guys goals.

It wasn't though, because I was constantly being taken out of that by ridiculous gore, ridiculous sets, ridiculous acting, ridiculous clichés, and ridiculous plot-holes.

The script can perhaps best be described as an abomination.

Bacon and Goodman did a hell of a lot with what they were given, but they just weren't given very much.

And all the gangbangers were totally boring, one-dimensional, replacable.

It held my interest, but not very well, and it sure as hell wasn't a quality flick.

sdrawkcaB emaN on