Options

U.S. Income Tax... Illegal?

ConfuzConfuz Registered User new member
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I just don't know anymore.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=18060

Yes, I know the Gov't is allowed to collect taxes based on the ORIGINAL articles of the U.S. Constitution.

But that is worded: Article I, section 8, clause 1 -

"The Congress shall have power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;"

"all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States"

Article I, section 2, clause 3 and Article I, section 9, clause 4 of the Constitution state that all direct taxes are required to be apportioned among the states according to population. This essentially means that the dollar amount of direct taxes imposed on the taxpayers in any given state is required to bear a relationship to the total dollar amount of direct taxes imposed in the entire nation that is equal to the ratio of that state's population to the total population of the nation.

That itallicized text is an interpretation only, not Constitutional quote.

This was before the 16th Amendment, which removes the enumeration and census clause which was originally worded in the constitution as -

"No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken."

It simply means that any direct tax must be collected by the state and that the total tax that the Federal govt's collects from any state is equivelent to it's population percentage of the nation.

If Texas has 10% of the population, it pays 10% of the direct income taxes. If New York has 20% of the population, it pays 20% of the national income tax, etc etc.

This is a quote from the closing opinion of the presiding Supreme Court Judges of LOUGHBOROUGH v. BLAKE. (1820)

"The 4th paragraph of the 9th section of the same article will next be considered. It is in these words: 'No capitation, or other direct tax, shall be laid, unless in proportion to the census, or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.' [18 U.S. 317, 321] The census referred to is in that clause of the constitution which has just been considered, which makes numbers the standard by which both representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the States. The actual enumeration is to be made 'within three years after the first meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent term of ten years, in such manner as they shall by law direct.'

As the direct and declared object of this census is, to furnish a standard by which 'representatives, and direct taxes, may be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union,' it will be admitted, that the omission to extend it to the district or the territories, would not render it defective. The census referred to is admitted to be a census exhibiting the numbers of the respective States. It cannot, however, be admitted, that the argument which limits the application of the power of direct taxation to the population contained in this census, is a just one. The language of the clause does not imply this restriction. It is not that 'no capitation or other direct tax shall be laid, unless on those comprehended within the census herein before directed to be taken,' but 'unless in proportion to' that census. Now this proportion may be applied to the district or territories. If an enumeration be taken of the population in the district and territories, on the same principles on which the enumeration of the respective States is made, then the information is acquired by which a direct tax may be imposed on the district and territories, 'in proportion to the [18 U.S. 317, 322] census or enumeration' which the constitution directs to be taken."

Originally this case was about wether or not the U.S. Gov't even had the jurisdiction to lay direct taxes on those inside the District of Columbia (Um...it does, incase you were curious).

In a nutshell, there was NO direct, personal federal income tax before the 16th Amendment, since the wording before then made it impossible.

Now this same clause reads:

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

Which allows full personal income taxes to be collected from all United States citizens.

The question is, should this amendment ever been officially ratified by the United States?

And I don't care if Wikipedia says they did. It's Wikipedia. I could go there now and edit in that the states sent a "Fuck you" memo and the ratification was a massive hoax. I went there for an interpretation, not hard facts.

William J. Benson has submitted a brief to his trial that he has been under regarding his refusal to pay Federal income Taxes.

It explains, in detail, why the 16th Amendment was never constitutionaly ratified.

http://www.thelawthatneverwas.com/new/00_images/16th.final.pdf

3/4 Of the states must ratify an amendment for it to become an official Constitutional Amendment.

More importantly, every state must ratify the SAME Amendment.

Word for word. Perfect punctuation and capitalization. It must be, in essence, a photocopy. Because far too often, a single misspelled or misplaced word can completely reverse the meaning of a statement. Even a comma in the wrong place is unacceptable.

3/4s of the states must ratify the SAME amendment, period. (Now you get why we need grammer nazis? =p)

The 16th amendment was never properly ratified, which, in turn, make the Federal Income Tax uncontitutional.

Ok...I get what you're thinking.

"Pay your dues, bum. You don't get to evade taxes on some frickin' comma."

Fair enough, but I already pay taxes. Sales tax for one, property, etc.

To be honest, I wouldn't care so damn much if our taxes were put to better use. Our education ranking in the world is abyssmal, seriously. Our space program is currently a joke compared to its past progress.

Our Fed taxes are primarily used on 2 things:

Pays our national debt to ourselves (To the Federal Reserve Bank, which I don't actually consider "ourselves") and the War. Both which basically make the rich richer.

It confuses me so.

Confuz on

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    We had this thread a while back. Maybe a year ago?

And we decided that the income tax was about as illegal as Texas is.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ConfuzConfuz Registered User new member
    edited September 2007

Did you decide wrong?

Confuz on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ron Paul? Is that you?

I am pretty sure that these sort of claims are usually dismissed as frivolous nonsense by judges whenever these cases have been brought forth.

Before the whole "Oh no, there is no actual law stipulating the payment of an income tax to the Federal Government", this site actually goes through the law bit by bit that actually requires you to pay taxes:
    http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/jsiegel/Personal/taxes/JustNoLaw.htm

As for the whole sixteenth amendment argument, again, the courts have uniformly rejected these claims, I can get you a list of cases if that would help.

Also for the most part, the majority of tax revenue goes into the wonderful endeavor that is Social Security, which many people appreciate, at least while it lasts.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Confuz wrote: »
    3/4 Of the states must ratify an amendment for it to become an official Constitutional Amendment.

More importantly, every state must ratify the SAME Amendment.

Word for word. Perfect punctuation and capitalization. It must be, in essence, a photocopy. Because far too often, a single misspelled or misplaced word can completely reverse the meaning of a statement. Even a comma in the wrong place is unacceptable.
    According to the Supreme Court, that's not true.

I wonder where you're getting it from?

Agem on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Tuxes are pretty illegal too.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Confuz wrote: »

Did you decide wrong?

Apparently not since William J. Benson was convicted of tax evasion.

khain on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not sure why you have the hatred for Wikipedia, considering there's a pretty exhaustive article about precisely this sort of thing.

But the gist of it is that
    Similar "Sixteenth Amendment arguments" have been uniformly rejected by other United States Circuit courts in other cases including Ficalora v. Commissioner;[4] Sisk v. Commissioner;[5] United States v. Sitka;[6] and United States v. Stahl.[7] The non-ratification argument has been specifically deemed legally frivolous in Brown v. Commissioner;[8] Lysiak v. Commissioner;[9] and Miller v. United States.[10]

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's up to the court to decide how to interpret the law. They interpreted this the other way, and the income tax stands.

As for our tax system in general, I'm pretty interested in the Fair Tax

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No, it is not illegal.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Isn't a fair tax just a flat tax implemented as a sales tax for everyone? The sort of tax that will just eat up more of the relative wealth of low income citizens? Basically screwing over the middle and lower classes? Also, some nonsense about rebates for the poor? Which again, goes back to taxing people differently dependent on their income? Defeating the point of a flat tax?

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Essentially, the "Fair Tax" (a nice bit of rebranding to try and make it more palatable to those who don't really think about it) is a way to shift the tax burden downward to those who make less money.

shryke on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's about time they started pulling their own weight.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Isn't a fair tax just a flat tax implemented as a sales tax for everyone? The sort of tax that will just eat up more of the relative wealth of low income citizens? Basically screwing over the middle and lower classes? Also, some nonsense about rebates for the poor? Which again, goes back to taxing people differently dependent on their income? Defeating the point of a flat tax?

Personally I'm in favor of the Fair Tax, with a twist. Anything that costs a certain amount, let's say $1 million, gets a higher tax percentage. So poor people don't get taxes as much on food, and rich people still pay more taxes for their mega-yacht or something. (The only exception for the money limit would be for housing.)

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    We get one of these threads every 4 months. Some college student who has never read anything before stumbles upon a conversation between two people and has an "oh shits!" moment and runs to the forums to tell us all something we already know.

_J_ on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does it matter that much if it's legal or illegal?

What would the federal government do without income tax?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jesus Christ not again.

May this thread (and the topic) die a peaceful death.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Exactly what it did before there was an income tax.

_J_ on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

After reading a good portion of the main book in favor of it, though, it's pretty clear it's right-wing douchebaggery. I think it's concept could be adapted, however, to make it more fair, just not in a way it's founders would ever want.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    /Derail
    Shryke wrote:
    Essentially, the "Fair Tax" (a nice bit of rebranding to try and make it more palatable to those who don't really think about it) is a way to shift the tax burden downward to those who make less money.
    This is correct.
    ROFISH wrote:
    Personally I'm in favor of the Fair Tax, with a twist. Anything that costs a certain amount, let's say $1 million, gets a higher tax percentage. So poor people don't get taxes as much on food, and rich people still pay more taxes for their mega-yacht or something. (The only exception for the money limit would be for housing.)

We already have this system. In place. Right now.

I think this proves to show that the people who favor flat tax either would directly benefit from it in the form of paying less taxes, or don't know what they're talking about.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Which was? My american history is rusty.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No.

And if you try these arguments, the courts will rape you anally. Ask Wesley Snipes.

And you get further negative points for posting a WND link.

Next question?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Mostly collect off of tariffs, poll taxes, excise taxes, and taxes on liquor.

Also. to whoever is questioning the legality:
    The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States
    The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh... that's right.

And I can't help but think that wouldn't really work for a nation of a third of a billion.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Tariffs that high probably wouldn't work well in the global economy, unless of course you don't mind not having a standing army, a public school system, police, firemen, or roads.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Whored itself out to 1,000 fat chicks.

_J_ on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No no I totally saw this on a youtube video last night. The federal income tax is illegal (they brought on two agents from the IRS to prove it) and the WTC attack(s) was faked because the federal bank but pressure on george dubyah to start a war with Iraq so they could profit by lending the money to the government and then charging them interest so that the evil international bankers can put rfid chips in everyone.

Brolo on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

For 2.1 Billion dollars a piece.

Because the Federal Government does things in the bed that you would not believe.

Shinto on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You idiots should develop a way to make the income tax system easier to understand. I don't mind paying it, I just hate the forms.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Don't you people have those fancy TaxWiz programs or whatever?

I just install it, then click on the button for the form in my hand, and fill the form on the screen in so it looks like the one in my hand. The program does the rest. Then you submit it electronically, and my check arrives in the mail.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

Because the Federal Government does things in the bed that you would not believe.

Like audits.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Like audits.

Honey, I will audit you so hard you won't be able to sit down tomorrow.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Like audits.

Honey, I will audit you so hard you won't be able to sit down tomorrow.

Because her chair will be gone.

_J_ on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Now that that's settled, blue laws...illegal? Prohibition was repealed, damnit. I want to get some booze at 9 AM on a Sunday while walking down the left side of the road chewing gum, as is my God given right.

moniker on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    Don't you people have those fancy TaxWiz programs or whatever?

I just install it, then click on the button for the form in my hand, and fill the form on the screen in so it looks like the one in my hand. The program does the rest. Then you submit it electronically, and my check arrives in the mail.
    Turbotax. Yeah, it's easy. It even imports info from previous years.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    Now that that's settled, blue laws...illegal? Prohibition was repealed, damnit. I want to get some booze at 9 AM on a Sunday while walking down the left side of the road chewing gum, as is my God given right.

While I know that in most states you can't buy liquor after a certain time (midnight usually), are the others actually illegal as well? (I'm certain the gum chewing isn't)

Nitsua on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I declare this the abortion thread of economics.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Come on, we need threads like this. The new folks round here need at least 3-4 threads of this to cut their teeth on ripping apart stupid arguments. Only then are they truly prepared to hit the libertarian threads.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    No no I totally saw this on a youtube video last night. The federal income tax is illegal (they brought on two agents from the IRS to prove it) and the WTC attack(s) was faked because the federal bank but pressure on george dubyah to start a war with Iraq so they could profit by lending the money to the government and then charging them interest so that the evil international bankers can put rfid chips in everyone.

You do know that thy guy who directed that is $2M in the hole from tax liability, right?

And to head off any further discussion, the law that says you have to pay income tax is 26 USC 1.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    moniker wrote: »

While national liquor laws were repealed, local governments were allowed to regulate.

Also, it's the 21st amendment which is why the drinking age isn't federally mandated.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I declare this the abortion thread of economics.

I'm Pro-Tax, and all you Pro-Free-Trade fuckers are babykillres12@!

ViolentChemistry on
This discussion has been closed.