Options

Thread of awesome cartoons

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Another one of my favorite intros (though again, not much cop as a show): Bionic Six.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    guys, guys! no mention of visionaires? for shame

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ldfBe75S9Q0

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Visionaries was the shit! I had a few of the vehicles with the holograms on the sides. Very cool. :)

Another show that suffered from awesome opening syndrome was Starcom. I remember the first episode being very well done, but I think they used up the entire budget on it because it went downhill really quickly after that.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Flintstones. Dino Riders. Dinosaucers. Denver the Dinosaur ... the Terrible Thunderlizards ... uh, Dinobots... Dink the Magic Dinosaur ... I think that's all the dinosaur-themed shows.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In Transformers: The Movie, Optimus Prime dies in the opening fight. I cried like a baby at 6,7,10,12, and my current 19 years of age. Optimus Prime forever!!! Rodimus Prime? More like Rodimus Lame.

...I'd like to apologize to everyone about that.

Edit: Also, Samurai Jack. I find Kim Possible oddly compelling. A Toon Disney cartoon called "Fillmore" that took the cop mystery genre (a'la Law and Order and NYPD Blue) and moved it into the context of a group of middle school hall monitors. Bike thefts and scooter chases, along with an elaborate sting operation involving competing in a Mini-Golf tournament. Wonderful show. Hmmm...Recess, that was good too.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Flintstones. Dino Riders. Dinosaucers. Denver the Dinosaur ... the Terrible Thunderlizards ... uh, Dinobots... Dink the Magic Dinosaur ... I think that's all the dinosaur-themed shows.

There was one on during the late 90s called...Dinozaurs or some crap like that. Mixed animation with CGI.

yalborap on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

There was one on during the late 90s called...Dinozaurs or some crap like that. Mixed animation with CGI.

That was all kinds of awesome...
    P25417_1.gif

Tav on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Tav wrote: »

That was all kinds of awesome...
    P25417_1.gif

Not the one I'm thinking of.

EDIT:
    cast.jpg

THIS is the one I'm thinking of.

yalborap on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

The one with the dinosaurs who are skeletons and the doofy anime kid who helps them?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

The one with the dinosaurs who are skeletons and the doofy anime kid who helps them?

Aye.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MrBeelzyMrBeelzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ones I haven't seen mentionned so far, and forgive me if they have been:
    Ch-ch-ch-chip 'n Dale, Rescue rangers!
    Tale Spin
    Duck Tales
    Goof Troop
    Bonkers
    Doug
    come to think of it, almost everything from The Disney Afternoon
    Bump in the Night (not a cartoon but it was great)
    Xiaolin Showdown was alright
    Dog City
    Sharky and George (the crime busters of the sea)
    Alvin and the Chipmunks, especially the parodies of movies
    Albert the Fifth Musketeer
    Tin Tin
    Babar
    Beetlejuice
    Recess

Seriously I could probably go on forever, as I've had cable my entire life, and used to fake sick all the time as a kid.
    Now as far as already mentionned stuff goes, some of my favorites are Jimmy Neutron, Futurama, and oh god do I miss Mission Hill.

edit: All this talk of cartoons has me in this whirlwind of childhood memories. For the canadians, who was a fan of ytv? It did a fair bit of raising me. It's funny seeing the old PJ's, like PJ Paul who works for CMT, and Daryn Jones who is now on the MTV canada, but more importantly created The Buzz. My favorite era was PJ Phil and Snit. Also PJ Katie's Farm! PJ Katie's Farm!

MrBeelzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    One anime I saw recently that deserves to be mentioned here is Black Lagoon. It's one of the best series I've seen in a while, and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to animes. It's got some hilarious dark humor and doesn't pussy out in it's depiction of organized crime. The attention to detail is amazing, not just on the guns but everything from the cars they drive to the beer they drink. The creators really did their homework.

There are also tons of allusions and cultural references, which I love. I expected it to start out really bad ass then slowly get into the touchy feely bullcrap where the characters become heroes, but it stays true to itself till the end. Anyway, great series. I highly recommend :)

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    One of my favorites was The Galaxy Rangers. It's like an animated 3:10 to Yuma, yes it was that awesome of a series!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HMpsAmWbSJg

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Doug- the precursor to King Of The Hill. As in, a show that is theoretically supposed to be funny, but is not even close to same to the point where I would screen it as somber consolation to someone who had just lost their child to cancer, yet somehow remains on the air for a ridiculously long period of time.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man what.

Doug was awesome.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »
    One anime I saw recently that deserves to be mentioned here is Black Lagoon. It's one of the best series I've seen in a while, and I'm pretty jaded when it comes to animes. It's got some hilarious dark humor and doesn't pussy out in it's depiction of organized crime. The attention to detail is amazing, not just on the guns but everything from the cars they drive to the beer they drink. The creators really did their homework.

There are also tons of allusions and cultural references, which I love. I expected it to start out really bad ass then slowly get into the touchy feely bullcrap where the characters become heroes, but it stays true to itself till the end. Anyway, great series. I highly recommend :)

What the hell? That whole video was just one big snuff film. It's like the author took every gruesome scene of murder and squished it into three minutes of footage. Gross.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nexelau wrote: »
    Saburbia wrote: »
    Filmore, was that the one about the hallway monitors in school but making it like a cop show? That show could be so silly at times, it was aweome.

Yup, thats Filmore.. silly as it is, I think its really well done.

Hehe, that was a great show. So was recess, come to think of it.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nexelau wrote: »
    Saburbia wrote: »
    Filmore, was that the one about the hallway monitors in school but making it like a cop show? That show could be so silly at times, it was aweome.

Yup, thats Filmore.. silly as it is, I think its really well done.

Hehe, that was a great show. So was recess, come to think of it.

Dammit, now I want to watch episodes of them both.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    What the hell? That whole video was just one big snuff film. It's like the author took every gruesome scene of murder and squished it into three minutes of footage. Gross.

Most of the gruesome parts are from one mini story arc that was pretty fucked up. It's the most disturbing thing I've seen in a while as it deals with kids being forced into the sex trade and turned into killers. Sadly from what I have seen it's not that uncommon in war-torn countries.

But yeah whoever made that video was pretty fixated on that arc, which is probably my least favorite. The best one is with the maid I think, where they parody the terminator.

Oh yeah, I totally just remembered Spawn the animated series.

ccspawn.gif

Damn that was sweet. I saw it on HBO before I started reading the comics and loved it. I still think it's better than the comics and it sucks that it was cancelled just as things were starting to get awesome. :(

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    I think of King of the Hill as a Picket Fences-like drama that just happens to be a half-hour and animated. And yeah, it's not very funny (although it has its moments - "let go of my purse!") but for my money it's one of the most relentlessly realistic shows on television outside of, like, The Wire.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No mention of The Real Ghostbusters? For shame.

This might reek of old man "get off my lawn youngsters", but pretty much anything from the 80's to the 90's. Of special note anything made by Disney during that time. Duck Tales, Chip and Dale, motherfucking Darkwing Duck.

Of course, the king always has and always will be the old Looney Toons. Coming up on 70 years, and still the cream of the crop. I saw some of the newer made ones, and holy jebus... talk about soulless abominations. Absolutely zero magic that the old stuff had. I don't know how you fuck up stuff like the Roadrunner or Foghorn Leghorn, but they found a way.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not to derail the thread, but Burst Angel is a prime example of everything the cartoons/animes we're naming are not. Every episode is a 22 minute dose of pure suffering, inflicted upon the watcher with reckless abandon.

Sorry, had to get that out. Just borrowed and finished it yesterday. I don't know what impulse drove me to finish a series that tormented me so, but it seems only right to warn others away.

And if, at some point in your life, you failed to encounter and watch that CGI classic "ReBoot" you are a poorer person for it.

Ah. Darkwing Duck. Gotta love it. And Tailspin goddamnit. It had fucking Baloo in it!

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, King of the Hill seems to get a lot of derision. Dunno why.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If cartoon movies count, then when I was a kid I remember I saw The Thief and the Cobbler and thought it was really awesome. I haven't seen it since and I can remember hardly anything about it. I'm sort of afraid to watch it even if I could get a hold of it, in case it doesn't live up to my vague memories.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    If cartoon movies count, then when I was a kid I remember I saw The Thief and the Cobbler and thought it was really awesome. I haven't seen it since and I can remember hardly anything about it. I'm sort of afraid to watch it even if I could get a hold of it, in case it doesn't live up to my vague memories.

The only bad things I have heard about that movie involve the company fucking over Richard Williams.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

This might reek of old man "get off my lawn youngsters", but pretty much anything from the 80's to the 90's. Of special note anything made by Disney during that time. Duck Tales, Chip and Dale, motherfucking Darkwing Duck.

Of course, the king always has and always will be the old Looney Toons. Coming up on 70 years, and still the cream of the crop. I saw some of the newer made ones, and holy jebus... talk about soulless abominations. Absolutely zero magic that the old stuff had. I don't know how you fuck up stuff like the Roadrunner or Foghorn Leghorn, but they found a way.

EXTREEEEEEEEME!!!!!

It's like some crazy bizzaro world shit. D:

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh. Wow. Cartoon movies. Hmmm...

The Black Cauldron. The Great Mouse Detective. The Thief and the Cobbler was indeed fairly good. I watch Aladdin just for Robin Williams and some of the songs. Same with Lion King on the music front. It's hard to argue with Elton John. Kickass musical btw. Ooh. Steamboy. Spirited Away. Well, essentially anything by Hayao Miyazaki. Emperor's New Groove still cracks me up. I'll think of more...

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Oh. Wow. Cartoon movies. Hmmm...

The Black Cauldron. The Great Mouse Detective. The Thief and the Cobbler was indeed fairly good. I watch Aladdin just for Robin Williams and some of the songs. Same with Lion King on the music front. It's hard to argue with Elton John. Kickass musical btw. Ooh. Steamboy. Spirited Away. Well, essentially anything by Hayao Miyazaki. Emperor's New Groove still cracks me up. I'll think of more...

The only one that I can think of that you missed is Duck Tales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

Oh fuck, I gotta stop reading Wikipedia. If this is true... The Duck Tales movie wasn't much of a financial success, losing out to Problem Child. Because of this, more planned Duck Tales movies were shelved, as well as a planned Rescue Rangers movie.

Problem Child, a shitty ass shit movie, caused the destruction of a Rescue Rangers movie. FUCK!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »

The only bad things I have heard about that movie involve the company fucking over Richard Williams.

I heard something like that. There's supposed to be a copy available on the net that hasn't been edited so much from William's original.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So many great disney movies. Mulan, Fox and the Hound, Hundred and one dalmations, Jungle book, Robin Hood, Aristocats, Little Mermaid, Snow white, Sleeping Beauty, Bambi, Pinnochio, The Rescuers, Alice in wonderland, Dumbo, Lady and the Tramp. And tons more I know I am forgetting :P

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The only one that I can think of that you missed is Duck Tales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

Oh my god, yes. How could I have missed it?

Dangerous wrote:
    EXTREEEEEEEEME!!!!!

It's like some crazy bizzaro world shit.

You know, the Duck Dodgers series was at least based on a classic Daffy/Porky bit. That, however, is an abomination against god. The Power of Christ Compels Ye!

Also, the old Batman series ruled. The new one ("The Batman") is also excellent. Batman Beyond never happened.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Er, what? Batman Beyond was brill, and Return of the Joker is in the top five of anything in the DCAU ever.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Er, what? Batman Beyond was brill, and Return of the Joker is in the top five of anything in the DCAU ever.

Really? Really? I just really disliked the series. The animation didn't grab me (one of the reasons I've never enjoyed Justice League or it's cousins all that much) and I just couldn't get into the flow of the plot. Bruce Wayne is just too badass to be an old guy.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I liked Batman Beyond, I mean it was nowhere near the original but it had its moments. I like The Batman too though I'm not crazy about the new designs (esp. joker). I can understand them wanting to shake things up a bit but I don't think they fit the characters that well.

Anyone remember Mask of the Phantasm? When I saw it as a kid I found it kind of boring but I think I was too young to appreciate it. Gonna try and track that down sometime soon because I have heard very good things.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm. Maybe I need to revisit Batman: Beyond. People seem to enjoy it, maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance.

And I saw "Mask of the Phantasm" as a little one and it scared the crap out of me. Later on I found it quite compelling. When watching it on Cartoon Network a year or two ago I really liked it.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Hmmm. Maybe I need to revisit Batman: Beyond. People seem to enjoy it, maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance.

And I saw "Mask of the Phantasm" as a little one and it scared the crap out of me. Later on I found it quite compelling. When watching it on Cartoon Network a year or two ago I really liked it.

Batman Beyond only fails on the initial concept of the story. From TAS to fast forward into the future? Yeah, okay there.

Then you watch it, and holy shit, this is really good.

It's just a pity it never got a true ending. Although that JLU episode did a damn fine job.

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah batman beyond was pretty pimp.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    80's cartoon openings:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bto7l3cKhvk

90's cartoon openings:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcKGcKW76M

I didn't have cable until I was 6 or 7 so I watched a bunch of really bad cartoons in french. The original Hercules, Rocket Robin Hood, the original Spiderman, Green Lantern, etc... We also got stuff like Albator / Captain Harlock, Scooby Doo, Captain Caveman, etc... They weren't so bad but it was so nice to get cable. I think most of the best shows have already been named.

stigweard on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

They need to release seasons on DVD already.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    speaking of cartoon movies, was i the only person in the world to watch and enjoy Starchaser: Legend of Orin (even though it was a complete Star Wars rip off)?

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png