As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play: Dark Crusade (56k eats PLASMA FIRE!)

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, guys. I don't want to flood the page with images. It's painful. Quite painful.

You guys are going to have to post a bit more, so I can safely post my update without tons of images for those of us using non-crazy posts per page.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DA ORKZ IS DA BIGGEST N MEANEST
    Say what you will about orkz as a playable race, ork-speak is always fun

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Spoiler warning for those who want to wait to see the first battle update:
    I did a quick rush, then pulled back to build up the map. I ended up paying for it, as I didn't have Tankbustas when Defilers started appearing.

I successfully beat them back once I pulled out Tankbustas.

Orks are by no means weak or short-changed.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I did a quick rush, then pulled back to build up the map. I ended up paying for it, as I didn't have Tankbustas when Defilers started appearing.

THIS THREAD IS ORKYMATIC!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DA ORKZ IS DA BIGGEST N MEANEST
    Say what you will about orkz as a playable race, ork-speak is always fun

Seriously, ork-speak is the best

AN' DA STOMPIEST RA HA HA

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, the difficulty in this game really ramps up between normal and hard. Like, normal is super easy... and then hard is the large burly men and the reaming and the sobbing in the corner.

Defending a territory once you take it is damn easy, whatever race you are. But attacking the stronger territories on hard? Donno how you can do it.

Sepah on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sepah wrote: »
    Man, the difficulty in this game really ramps up between normal and hard. Like, normal is super easy... and then hard is the large burly men and the reaming and the sobbing in the corner.

Defending a territory once you take it is damn easy, whatever race you are. But attacking the stronger territories on hard? Donno how you can do it.

I once took siege to the Necron tombs with my Tau on hard mode. After 3+ hours I had cleaned most of the map and was standing just before the Nightbringer, ready to finish off the Crons. Because I got increasily worried that my Tau Commander could die because of all Necron units started focusing fire on him, I placed him into my base (which wasn't protected by turrets, as I was playing Tau) with some firewarriors to guard him.
    The moment the great battle against the grim Necron God started, the Commander was attacked and killed (it was still early into the campagain, and he didn't get the jump pack upgrade just yet) by a number of Heavy Destroyers and Flayed Ones and I lost the battle.

Now I don't know if this can happen on the other difficulty levels aswell, but needless to say I was extremly pissed.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hehe, the Necron Stronghold is the most interesting of them. Those pillars are awesome.

And the Restored Monoliths everywhere, after you complete the initial objective... jeeeeeesus.

Sepah on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And the Restored Monoliths everywhere, after you complete the initial objective... jeeeeeesus.
    You know, you could just wipe out the dormant ones before completing said objective. Problem solved.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Oi! Where's my pictures, you mangy grot?

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Oi! Where's my pictures, you mangy grot?

Are there any pictures? I didn't see any with the update. To sum up, please more with the pictures?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    That wasn't the update. That was a summary.

I just got home from school. REAL update is coming.

EDIT: Because it's page 3. I'm gonna try to keep it to one update a page, mmkay?

EDIT2: It's gonna be awhile. Even after trimming it back, it's over 40 pictures.

EDIT3: Okay, I lied. Only 32. It looked like more. :(

I need a break before I go writing in Ork-speak. Because it's actually kinda hard...

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You know, you could just wipe out the dormant ones before completing said objective. Problem solved.

The Greater Good shall overcome.

Sepah on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, what is this Tau shit doing here! THIS THREAD IS ORKY!

Speaking of ORKY...

I'm Gorgutz, Da Mad Doc's Nob. I'm stompier dan da rest o da boyz, so I lead da WAAAAAAGH!!! in battle.

relic00010.jpg

Dis is our little settlement, wit un o dem Grots standin around bein useless.

GIT TA WORK, YA RUNT!

relic00011.jpg

Glarin at em seems ta do da trick. See how fearsome I am?

relic00012.jpg

Lookie dat! I scared 'is friends inta workin, too! Look at wat bein STOMPY does for ya!
    Dey were buildin a Boyz Hut for ma Boyz. Boyz may be tough, but dey like eatin. So do I.

relic00013.jpg

Lookit wat a li'l food does fer da Boyz! 'Ere we 'ave dem Shoota Boyz, specilizin in DAKKA! Look at dem Shootas!

relic00014.jpg

'Ere's de 'udder type o Boyz: Slugga Boyz. Deys good wit dose Choppas, and dey come in large numbas. Good fer choppin up dem Spikey boyz. Or distractin em so our Shoota Boys can DAKKA em up.

relic00015.jpg

Mah Slugga Boyz were gettin territory fer da WAAAGH!!, when my Shoota scouts met dese spikey boyz. Lookit wat happens wen you mess wit ma WAAAGH!!.

relic00016.jpg

I like gettin stuck in wit da Boyz, so I joined da Shoota Boyz. Dey were being dumb, so I had to straighten em out. Da Sluggas were comin up behind, after dey took more territory. We went out to scout out dat Spikey Boy base.

relic00017.jpg

We stomped one o dose Listenin Posts. Da more territory ya got, da more Boyz wanna join da fight.

relic00018.jpg

Den we hit dere base a bit. 'Cause no one likes 'avin Spikey Boyz poppin out o da ground. Dat's our job, and dey're stealing it! After a bit, we got bored, so we went back to 'ave a grand victory feast.

relic00019.jpg

And victory GUNZ!! Look at wat da Grotz built! <3

Doze look fun. Well, we won.

relic00020.jpg

WAT DE...?

relic00021.jpg

DOZE STINKIN SPIKEY BOYZ! DEY 'IT US WEN WE WERE 'AVIN FUN!

Den dey ran afta we tankbusta'd dem. Useful Boyz dey are. Camera-shy, too.

relic00022.jpg

Look at da water ripples. Leadin away from da settlement. We followed...

relic00023.jpg

And den met dere Warboss: Da Chaos Lord. 'Ee ran away like da rest o dem. Ordinarily dere annoyin as a Grot stikin a knife up yer arse, but dis one was a coward.

relic00024.jpg

AND DEN TREE MORE O DEM DEFILERS SHOWED UP!!! Dey pushed us back to da settlement!

relic00025.jpg

We took some pretty 'eavy losses...

relic00026.jpg

AND DEN DEY STRUK AGAIN!! Dis time dey took out a few WAAAGH!! banners. Dat pissed me off RIGHT good.

relic00027.jpg

WAAAAGH!!!
    Den we got reinforcments.

relic00028.jpg

Da Big Mek tore 'imself away from 'is Bitz and somefings to 'elp us out.

'Ee also brought some o my PERSONAL guard:

relic00029.jpg

DA MEGA ARMORED NOBS!! Dey's really good at choppin and stompin. Look at dose power claws!

Wit dem helpin out...

relic00030.jpg

WAAAAAAAAGH!!! [tiny]two[/tiny]

relic00031.jpg

Dese Horrors picked da wrong spot to appear.

relic00032.jpg

SHOOT! SMASH! CHOP! STOMP!

relic00033.jpg

OI! YER A BIG MEK, NOT A GROT! GIT BACK 'ERE!!!

relic00034.jpg

Mor STOMPIN and DAKKA.

relic00035.jpg

Wazzis? More 'orrors? I wonder wat 'appened to em...

relic00036.jpg

Note to Self: 'Orrors are dumb. Dumber dan a hair Squig.

relic00037.jpg

More SHOOTIN, SMASHIN, CHOMPIN, and STOMPIN.

relic00038.jpg

See above. I'm gettin knackered o sayin da same fing. It may seem un-Orky, but den again... I'M A WARBOSS! (kinda)

relic00039.jpg

I fink it's gonna die in a bit...

relic00041.jpg

WAAAAAAGH!!!

So, we won dat battle. But dose Defilers are nasty. So, we're gonna be more careful.

relic00043.jpg

We also 'ave anodder choice ahead. KILL DA TAU, or KILL DA SPIKEY BOYZ.

Don't forget about ma Wargear! I got TWO choices now! Mad Doc Teef has da list someplace...

MechMantis on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I sez we kill 'dem spikey boyz and show 'em wat it's like ta mess wit' da ORKZ

And give da boss a new claw an' a shoota

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I scratched up my CD, but still have my serial key. Is there a legal way I can download an .exe without paying so I can input my key?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nice work.

I vote get Bigga Claws and Mega 'Eavy Armor. Who needs guns when we've got claws?

Never hurts to rip and tear and armor makes the Warboss look even bigger and tuffer. If he ain't dying, he's killing.

Also, let's show Chaos who's got spikier bits.

SirNick on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I say more spikeyz need ta die! Dem Tau are bein distrakted by da Nekronz! DAKKA DAKKA!

(How awesome is it that there's an actual "WAAAAGH!" button in the Orks interface?)

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dem spikey boyz is right in front of us, dey is closer, so we should be hittin dem now. WAAAAGH.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Get your boy some fasta legz and a big claw.
    He big and tuff as it is, but what kinda leader aint the first in battle?
    The non-ork kind, that's what.

As for which direction to take next, it's clear that none of the available option are going to provide a proppa fight to get the blood up, so it don't much matter if ya want to crush the spiky boys or the shooty boys.

Course, since ya gonna crush them all eventually...

see317 on
  • Options
    TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dat wuz proppa stompy!

Dem spiky boyz put up a gud fight. I tink dey needs a reminder of what a real WAAAGH can do. Lets show 'em anudder stompin'!

I don't know what the orc wargear looks like, only played chaos so far in DC.

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Update'll probably be tomorrow. I'll close the voting at an 5:30.

I'd go for the Horns and Gob myself. They give more attack bonus than the Power Klaw.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I empathise with The Imperium. I fucking hate The Orkz. They are one of the most annoying character sets I have ever known, and Dawn of War's horrendously bad East London accents are the stuff that would get you stabbed even in the West End.

Purge the weak indeed.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I empathise with The Imperium. I fucking hate The Orkz. They are one of the most annoying character sets I have ever known, and Dawn of War's horrendously bad East London accents are the stuff that would get you stabbed even in the West End.

I don't even know what that means!

win

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Purge the weak indeed.

YEH! We'll purge dem right snotty Imperium boyz. And dey are pretty weak... just look at one o ma Boyz!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Okay, sorry about not updating. Stuff came up.

As in, friend came over, stayed for two nights, and then there was a birthday party (attendance mandatory) tonight until late.

So, basically, you guys are going to have to wait patiently. Ha ha.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Was the prezentz and cake Go Fasta Red? Den all iz forgivvin.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It was Go Fasta Red Kake. Iz dat good?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Roight propah, guv'nah.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waaaaaaaaaghh?

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Guess what I forgot?

That my birthday is next week. And Goddamnit on a TEST DAY too. So my (long) weekend will be taken up by parties once more.

By cake and possibly presents for me.

And again, you guys are going to have to wait. Ha ha.

(At least I'm honest about not getting updates done. >.>)

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wow. Three months.

I suck.

I thought I lost the DoW save after a few HD moves. Turns out I didn't. So I can continue.

I'll restart to vote for the next target: Tau or Chaos, to see if we can move the next update to the next page.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just when you think the Orcs have been erased from a planet, you discover you missed a few spores.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow. Three months.

I suck.

I thought I lost the DoW save after a few HD moves. Turns out I didn't. So I can continue.

I'll restart to vote for the next target: Tau or Chaos, to see if we can move the next update to the next page.
    Okay well that's done now go attack not Eldar.

In fact just attack Chaos.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The Tau's long range attacks are nasty against Orks. I recommend taking them out next before they get out of hand.

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DebaserZbs wrote: »
    The Tau's long range attacks are nasty against Orks. I recommend taking them out next before they get out of hand.
    Good point.

I therefore recommend you go after Chaos first.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm considering starting up a new game of Dark Crusade at some point. I really want to play, but I still have tons of games from Christmas that I haven't wrapped up yet. Not to mention the fact that I've developed an almost compulsive disorder when it comes to playing CoD4 online.

Personally, I'm going to be doing an Imperial Guard campaign. Orks are fun and all, but the sheer desperation that is the Imperium of Man is simply too compelling to look away from.

DebaserZbs on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    DebaserZbs wrote: »
    Good point.

I therefore recommend you go after Chaos first.
    It is better to get a honor guard first.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    KILL DEM SPIKEY BOYZ!!

Voting is closed. I be playing now.

EDIT: Hm. As soon as I start playing, I get a major glitch. IE: The screen becomes vertical bars of varying shades of grey. I'm gonna do some fiddling with the graphical settings, see if I can get it to work properly.

EDIT2: What...? It works fine on both lowest AND highest settings.

It is a mystery. I'll try the actual mission now.

MechMantis on