As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giving to charity

RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, I've had a job for a few years now and I've given to some charities, including Child's Play and our local United Way, but I don't really know what the best distribution is or if there are other places where aid is more needed.

My company matches charitable contributions dollar-for-dollar so I think it's important to carefully choose where the money is going.

What charities do you give to, and why?

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
RandomEngy on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Charity, aah charity. Helping those in need, doing what's right. Just give some money to some organisation and they will do the right things with it.

There's always someone more in need of food than the one you're giving money to. A lot of charity organisations have no idea what the hell they're doing. Don't ever give money to Christian organisations, chances are they're going to spend it all on teaching poor sods that condoms are of the devil. Don't expect the organisation of choice to spend everything properly, usually half of it is spent on bribing the local government.

Don't donate clothes to developing countries, chances are that your clothes are going to push a local producer out of the market and into poverty.

Seriously, the best thing you can do is donate to an organisation you can relate to, Child's Play is great to help the poor sick kids in one of the richest countries in the world, just because you're not saving lives doesn't mean you're not making a kid happy for a while.

I used to give to a small Dutch organisation building orphanages in war torn regions, but I had to stop that due to lack of funds. My parents give money to WWF and to whoever stops by our door asking for a dime. Not really much of a reason for it other than the feeling you're doing some good to the planet.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like to rotate mine around, but they are almost always small and local. Spreading it around helps me feel like I'm not neglecting any one major area that I am interested in. For recommendations, I suggest:

- keep it local if possible
    - keep it relevant to what you can relate to (it encourages you to keep giving)
    - spread the wealth
    - help charities that help people help themselves

Christian/non-Christian isn't as big a deal as some people will make. If you don't believe in it, give to a secular one, that's all. The last few I gave to were:

- A theater/arts company that teaches children appreciation of theater.
    - Women's shelter for battered women (local).

I try to avoid charities with heavy politics attached. The money you give most likely is a drop in the hat and just perpetuates a political battle instead of real change.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    - Women's shelter for battered women (local).

Having seen the conditions in some women's shelters, I have to say that this is a noble cause.

When they can't afford to give penniless women (sometimes with kids) toothpaste or shampoo, you know things are fucked up.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Be careful about giving to food aid charities.

Many of them are structured around shipping heavily subsidized American grain and food to impoverished nations. This ends up helping no one, since the local farmers end up being out-competed with the subsidized American imported food and people just stay poor. (Actually, this benefits the American companies that ship the grain to Africa).

Look for aid organizations that give your money directly to local economies in impoverished nations. The World Food Programme is pretty good with this, as far as I can tell.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Qingu wrote: »
    Be careful about giving to food aid charities.

Many of them are structured around shipping heavily subsidized American grain and food to impoverished nations. This ends up helping no one, since the local farmers end up being out-competed with the subsidized American imported food and people just stay poor. (Actually, this benefits the American companies that ship the grain to Africa).

Look for aid organizations that give your money directly to local economies in impoverished nations. The World Food Programme is pretty good with this, as far as I can tell.
    Example of the way grain fucks up Sub-Sahara African countries:

Bread is usually not on the menu in Mozambique, because grain doesn't really do well down there. They once gave shiploads of grain to Mozambique during a famine, the Mozambican government invested in building bakeries around the country. The Mozambicans loved this bread, because it fitted in with their usual diet. So when the aid stopped and bakeries went out of business, the population demanded that more grain should be imported and/or grown on the land. So now Mozambique imports a shitton of grain per year, just because we, the Western World, decided it was a neat idea to provide them with food we eat here, instead of what they usually eat there.

I mean, it was nice of the non-governmental organisations to help Mozambique, but they had no idea what they were doing.

Aldo on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Don't ever give money to Christian organisations, chances are they're going to spend it all on teaching poor sods that condoms are of the devil.

WTF? Christian charities are often the ones with the lowest administration percentages ensuring donations actually go to where they were intended.

Whatever charity you're thinking of donating to, research it first. How much money actually gets distributed? Is your money actually going where you expect? Will your money get diverted to something you really don't support? Those are the types of questions you need to ask.

For instance, some people have an issue with the United Way because of the way they distribute funds leading to money earmarked for one destination actually going to another. If that's an issue for you, donate directly.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »

I don't give to charity because I don't think charity makes sense.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Been reading Ayn Rand?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Qingu wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

Been reading Ayn Rand?

She does make some good points.

"My views on charity are very simple. I do not consider it a major virtue and, above all, I do not consider it a moral duty. There is nothing wrong in helping other people, if and when they are worthy of the help and you can afford to help them. I regard charity as a marginal issue. What I am fighting is the idea that charity is a moral duty and a primary virtue." [From "Playboy's 1964 interview with Ayn Rand"]

_J_ on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Jimmy Fund.

You know that they, unlike some charities, are using all the money they get, and they are doing real good with it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They wouldn't be poor if they weren't lazy and stupid.
    They need to help themselves before anyone else can help them.
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt was so wrong!
    (Just kidding, poor people need a lot of help)
    Welfare is flawed though.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    They wouldn't be poor if they weren't lazy and stupid.
    They need to help themselves before anyone else can help them.
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt was so wrong!
    (Just kidding, poor people need a lot of help)
    Welfare is flawed though.

I have money. What's their problem?

^Not the correct way to assess Charity.

_J_ on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well what else am I going to do with my money? I have everything I really want in life. Buy a luxury car, or make the world a better place by helping cure disease, comforting the sick and aiding people with nothing left to turn to? If you've got money to spare, I certainly do consider it to be a virtue to help out your fellow man rather than increasing your comfort level by a tiny bit.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well what else am I going to do with my money? I have everything I really want in life. Buy a luxury car, or make the world a better place by helping cure disease, comforting the sick and aiding people with nothing left to turn to? If you've got money to spare, I certainly do consider it to be a virtue to help out your fellow man rather than increasing your comfort level by a tiny bit.
    You could also give it to animal charities. :)

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Or buy a large amount of meat and donate it to a soup kitchen!

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I would recommend not spending it locally.

I think your charity dollars go much further if you spend it on economic development. Microlending foundations are good and I've also heard that charities operating in the country of Tanzania don't have their missions blunted by corrupt government anywhere near as much as other sub-saharan countries.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I asked a friend of mine who's passionate about this sort of thing, and she says that Oxfam is definitely the best choice. From what I understand of their work, I'm inclined to agree.

MrMister on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    We usually donate to either USO or the Omaha World Herald's charity which i just forgot the name of but none of your donations go towards administrative costs.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I donate exclusively to animal charities. RSPCA, the Cat Haven, and other such.

I can see people being hurt on the news and not bat an eyelid, but when I heard a story on the radio the other day about how a group of young boys (10-12) ganged up on a kitten and tortured it to death, that makes me want to go on a killing spree.

And trust me, had I been there and caught them in the act, not a single one of them would be alive.

And I will stand in front of their parents and say that to their faces, too.

Cruelty to animals makes my blood boil. Cruelty to humans, not so much.
    I cannot explain this.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think the best charities are the ones that affect life locally. I've for the past 10 years done the "angel tree" thing. Salvaation Army sets this up. It's basically a tree with paper ornaments for poor children with their age and a gift that they would like. I was poor growing up and have been on the receiving end of this so I always do it on the giving end now. I do what I can with the money I have. I don't just buy a toy, I'll often ask the charity person if the same child has other ornaments like for a coat or something and get them a toy plus something that they really need. I've done it with companies too, where work would sponsor families that are having a rough time around the holidays. It's nice to give back.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't give to charities currently, though I have volunteered for the Canadian Cancer Society in the past.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like Doctors/Engineers Without Borders and Oxfam.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    I mostly donate to political campaigns, though not technically charities. I guess I think that political power can be brought to bear more powerfully than non-profits. I also give some to the ACLU (also not technically a charity).

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NexelauNexelau Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I tend to donate to the Salvation Army whenever I see them, as well as Oxfam and the RSPCA.. but pretty much nobody else. Having worked for a few smaller charities in my time, especially animal charities, I've found that a frighteningly large amount do more harm than good in the long run. I also despise the particularly heartrending ads on TV saying things like "for just ten dollars, you can sponsor a child and give it a future!".. when what they should be telling you is that you are just one of a pool of people sponsoring an entire community.

Nexelau on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i do pro bono work. that counts right? otherwise i got nothing.

for reasons im not perfectly sure i understand, i dislike giving money, whether it be to a charity or even as a gift.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Well, I always give my money to the charity that goes in the worst areas of Africa then to my own country. Because no matter how bad it is to some people here, it's much, much, much, much, much worse there. Some of the problems here don't even come close to comparing.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only charities I give to regularly are ones I used to have some association with. So currently I'm sponsoring orangutan orphanages in Borneo, and the building of temporary accommodation for families who need to live close to hospitals due to leukemia. Also, apparently people keep giving money to the Australian Refugee Association in my name.

Everyone else just gets my money if they ask for it. I'm pretty useless as being discerning with it, I figure if they have to ask, they could do with the five bucks.

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    The only charities I give to regularly are ones I used to have some association with. So currently I'm sponsoring orangutan orphanages in Borneo, and the building of temporary accommodation for families who need to live close to hospitals due to leukemia. Also, apparently people keep giving money to the Australian Refugee Association in my name.

Everyone else just gets my money if they ask for it. I'm pretty useless as being discerning with it, I figure if they have to ask, they could do with the five bucks.
    Some homeless guy asked for money the other day and I actually gave him some. Not because he was begging for it, but because he first asked if I had a moment, the woman next to me (waiting for the same damned bus) said she didn't, so he moved on to me, then he spoke politely and didn't hold up his hand right away. He said how much money he needed today and what he needed it for. He hastened to add that he didn't mind if I only gave a few cents or something. He had really put effort into this, guy should have sold cars instead of living on the streets.

Anyway, my point is that I'm a sucker for people who put effort in what they do, regardless of what it is.

Aldo on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    One of my Econ professors is one of the managers of the Umbele organization. I trust him, so I give to them.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyway, my point is that I'm a sucker for people who put effort in what they do, regardless of what it is.

Homeless dudes who have a story to tell are always awesome. I don't like to push for it because then you feel a bit "Dance, hobo! Dance for me!" But I've bought a meal for a guy just because he was so interesting to talk to. I never really understood homeless until I'd talked to a few people like him- not physically incapable, or mentally ill or beset by tragedy, just completely disconnected

Low Key on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    an_alt wrote: »
    Don't ever give money to Christian organisations, chances are they're going to spend it all on teaching poor sods that condoms are of the devil.

WTF? Christian charities are often the ones with the lowest administration percentages ensuring donations actually go to where they were intended.

That may be, but a disturbing number of them pretty much do nothing but sabotage efforts to enable families to control their fertility*, and preach old-school fire'n'brimstone guilt. And it works really well on poorly-educated, superstitious people who also happen to be pretty hungry. Not all christian charities are like this, so as you said, Do Your Research, but it is a well-known problem so don't get defensive when people point it out.

*The absolute #1 way to reduce poverty (and maternal and infant mortality) besides female education.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »

That may be, but a disturbing number of them pretty much do nothing but sabotage efforts to enable families to control their fertility*, and preach old-school fire'n'brimstone guilt. And it works really well on poorly-educated, superstitious people who also happen to be pretty hungry. Not all christian charities are like this, so as you said, Do Your Research, but it is a well-known problem so don't get defensive when people point it out.

*The absolute #1 way to reduce poverty (and maternal and infant mortality) besides female education.

Decreasing fertility rarely, if ever, will cause growth, children are a microeconomic inferior good. Growth decreases fertility.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Erios wrote: »
    Decreasing fertility rarely, if ever, will cause growth, children are a microeconomic inferior good. Growth decreases fertility.
    I strongly disagree. Having more resources available to fewer children leads to substantial improvements in their life prospects, and the much lower odds of them losing a parent in childbirth also contributes. There's certainly a two-way street, but fertility control is one of the major keys to development and this is a well-established fact.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I usually give to Oxfam, Planned Parenthood, or local stuff like the Literacy Campaign and such. We also make a donation to Heifer International every year for Christmas to Mr. DG's grandma, who is pretty involved with them.

I am also a sucker for buying cookies/pasta/summer sausage from kids who come around to our door fund-raising for their middle school or school band program or what-have-you.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I typically go with the Red Cross and local woman's shelters, but I'll look into Oxfam this year.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Erios wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. Having more resources available to fewer children leads to substantial improvements in their life prospects, and the much lower odds of them losing a parent in childbirth also contributes. There's certainly a two-way street, but fertility control is one of the major keys to development and this is a well-established fact.

I just had a course of this in school. You are right, it's very important for development in poor countries..

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »
    i do pro bono work. that counts right? otherwise i got nothing.

for reasons im not perfectly sure i understand, i dislike giving money, whether it be to a charity or even as a gift.

I'm the same way. Partially because, up until very recently, I rarely had "excess" money to give away. Living paycheck to paycheck all by yourself, trying to save up for college, doesn't create a huge desire to donate to charity.

But I was always a firm believer in giving your time, rather than money. Your time can't be as easily wasted as money, nor can it be as easily misdirected or misused. Giving money makes it too easy at times. I've spent several years now working on the Habitat For Humanity project; somewhat because I have a bit of a background in construction, but also because there's nothing like watching a deserving family move into a house that you put a shitload of work (or a bare minimum, for some people) into building.

Plus there's the added benefit of meeting the family, and getting to say "Yeah...ignore the concrete puddle on your living room subfloor. My bad."

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I give monthly to the Christian Children's Fund. I didn't research it, but my Dad has been giving to them for as long as I can remember and you get updates on the child's progress. How it works is, basically, for $33 a month, you support a child (Allowing them to go to school, eat properly, etc) until they're 12 or something, then you are assigned another child.

Honestly, I didn't research it, but I believe in what they do. Some quick googling has not come up with any criticisms of the CCF that I can find, but I didn't really look. If you guys want to 'correct' me, feel free.

Anyways, The Cat, I balked at the assertion 'chances are Christians are going to teach the poor sods that condoms are the devel' as well, not because it doesn't happen, but because that statement gives the impression that most do it and so you shouldn't support any of them.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Well, dismissing all Christian charities is a retarded idea. I suspect that you'd get defensive if someone said that all women just want to find a rich guy to take care of them. It is a well known problem.

I used to spend a fair bit of time doing charity work and often the Christian organizations were the most dedicated and transparent. There's money going around in the Red Cross, things can be expensed, etc. With many church based charities, if money needs to be spent to deliver donations, it comes out of somebody's pocket, not the donations. Catholic Charities USA directs over 95% of donations to programs, which is good, but if you don't like what they're doing, don't donate. Like people, each charity is different. Choose carefully where to spend your time and money.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I donate to Child's Play each year.

I don't contribute to them currently, but I'd like to second Doctors Without Borders as a noble cause.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!