As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I aim to misbehave. Again.

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/serenity/news/direct-to-video-serenity-2.html

DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE HAS SPOILERS FOR THE ORIGINAL MOVIE, SERENITY
Can it be? Surely, it can't be?

Rumors of Serenity 2 have been going on-and-off for a long time, and Lord knows the fans would jump at the idea to see their beloved characters back on the screen again. Any screen, even if it were on DVD. In an interview with Clint from Moviehole, cast member Alan Tudyk let loose that Universal is very interested in a sequel due to enormous DVD sales.

“They had to put [the Special Edition DVD] out because they’ve been selling out of the other one and so Universal’s like ‘So, let’s do another one’. And now… there’s now a chance there’s going to be another movie,” Tudyk said.

Seeing how Serenity was a big flop at the box office, it's unlikely that they're talking about a theatrical release. It started as a cult TV series that blew up on DVD after being prematurely cancelled, and despite the box office limp, the movie version sold well on DVD. So it would only make sense to do another one directly to DVD. Tudyk doesn't seem to mind, and agrees that it would still be worthwhile to do even if it doesn't fly on the big screen. It's not just the fans that are extremely fond of the show.

“[Nathan Fillion and I] were out a couple of weeks ago together at a party and there was a bunch of people there, and he was like ‘Oh, look we’re Browncoats.'"

Here's the thing: Alan Tudyk's character Wash died in the movie. If he's going to do it again, then it would probably be a prequel rather than a continuation of Serenity. Maybe a lost 90-minute episode of Firefly?

Whatever it may end up being, the Browncoats would still take it. Fox robbed them of a great series by yanking it off the air, but you can't take the sky from them.

“Everybody in the Firefly crew – and that includes the ones who died in the movie – are excited about the prospect of doing another," said Tudyk.

Holy. Shit. Serenity 2? I already bought the first one twice on DVD, again after the special edition came out. Will firefly ever go back on the air? Unlikely, but if the dvds sell well enough, who knows?

Let us also take a moment to relish the irony that Alan Tudyk is the one to be talking about this.

edit: Oh shit I am dumb and made this in H&A instead of DnD

SniperGuy on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not sure I would be down for a new Serenity movie. I feel pretty happy with the way the franchise ended. And, yeah, it died young, it deserved more episodes, but I feel like the magic will probably never be recaptured.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Needs more "All my dicks..."

Seriously though, not a day goes by that I don't want more Firefly. Not a goddamn day.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    "Straight to DVD" worries me, only on the quality aspect. But as long as it's as good as a standard episode, I'd be happy.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TobyToby Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hope it really is like a 90 minute episode, while I loved Serenity I always thought a couple more episodes of the show would have been better.

Toby on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Universal HD is showing Firefly in HD. Unfortunately it doesn't look much better than the DVDs in progressive scan.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, I managed to completely miss this Special Edition that's mentioned. What's included on it (over the regular edition) and how much does it cost?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet.

But maaaaaaaaaaan, that'd be great.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    YES PLZ

Medopine on
  • Options
    TobyToby Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A two-disc Collector's Edition DVD of the film was released for Region 1 on August 21, 2007. According to Whedon, the excellent sales figures for the "Normal Edition" DVD allowed this release.[56] The DVD included all of the once-Australian-exclusive bonus features, sans the Joss Whedon Q&A session filmed at Fox Studios in Sydney, and with new content including a DTS 5.1 surround track, a second commentary with Whedon, Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau and Ron Glass, the R. Tam sessions (dubbed "Session 416"), and the Sci-Fi Inside: Serenity documentary.

The Australian features were a few documentaries that weren't all that great. I guess they're only going to release that Collector's Edition in region 1, but man I would have bought it for that new commentary.

Toby on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wha wha whaaat

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Toby wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    A two-disc Collector's Edition DVD of the film was released for Region 1 on August 21, 2007. According to Whedon, the excellent sales figures for the "Normal Edition" DVD allowed this release.[56] The DVD included all of the once-Australian-exclusive bonus features, sans the Joss Whedon Q&A session filmed at Fox Studios in Sydney, and with new content including a DTS 5.1 surround track, a second commentary with Whedon, Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin, Summer Glau and Ron Glass, the R. Tam sessions (dubbed "Session 416"), and the Sci-Fi Inside: Serenity documentary.

The Australian features were a few documentaries that weren't all that great. I guess they're only going to release that Collector's Edition in region 1, but man I would have bought it for that new commentary.

I think the commentary with the cast just sold me on it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i've bought so much firefly product. i'm such a whore for firefly. i would buy this

twice

Serpent on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The special edition is worth it just for the packaging, really.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Here's the thing: Alan Tudyk's character Wash died in the movie. If he's going to do it again, then it would probably be a prequel rather than a continuation of Serenity. Maybe a lost 90-minute episode of Firefly?

I think this is good. I would kill to see a prequel of sorts - like back in the good old days when everyone was alive, you know. Like, 90 minutes of capers and jobs and stuff. Enough saving the galaxy - let's be bad guys.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The commentary is entirely worth it. It is so awesome.

Also, the bloopers. Mal saying "FInd the kids that took a dirt nap with jesus" worth 20 bucks.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh

Oh my

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Oh

Oh my

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    KrysanthemumKrysanthemum Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I place the following disclaimer .... So long as Joss Whedon is involved. His name isn't mentioned anywhere in that article. If he is ....

GLEE!

Krysanthemum on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    i've bought so much firefly product. i'm such a whore for firefly. i would buy this

twice

Plutonium on
  • Options
    NeelixNeelix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »

twice

They're going to make me buy Serenity a total of four times.

I bought it once on DVD.

Then I bought it on HD-DVD.

Now the Special Edition DVD comes out, so I buy that.

And I just KNOW that in 2 months they're going to come out with the Special Edition HD-DVD and I'll have to buy that one too.

And I'll buy it with the biggest goddamn smile on my face.

Neelix on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would be down for a new Serenity movie. I feel pretty happy with the way the franchise ended. And, yeah, it died young, it deserved more episodes, but I feel like the magic will probably never be recaptured.

thread over

VoodooV on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    that indian girl is like the hottest woman ever. is she on any other shows?

Ketherial on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It'll be tough to pull this off. If it takes place chronologically before Serenity, there won't be much tension because we know all the characters survive. Episodes like Out of Gas won't even be possible, unless Whedon throws in a bunch of new characters. If it takes place after Whedon would be crucified by fans.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    There've been rumors of doing a series straight to DVD (like a dvd released each month, mail-order, for cheap - like $5-10 per episode) practically since cancellation - there was even a petition at one stage. Thing is, I don't think Fox was willing to try a new model of serial sales using a show they'd cancelled. Maybe if they offer it on paid downloads it'd be less risky for them.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    There've been rumors of doing a series straight to DVD (like a dvd released each month, mail-order, for cheap - like $5-10 per episode) practically since cancellation - there was even a petition at one stage. Thing is, I don't think Fox was willing to try a new model of serial sales using a show they'd cancelled. Maybe if they offer it on paid downloads it'd be less risky for them.

Assuming Fox could find a way to offer downloads without completely fucking it up. Do they have series for sale in iTunes?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »

I assume you mean Morena Baccarin, although she's Brazilian-Italian. And she wasn't in much else, mostly a few episodes of Stargate SG-1 and the O.C. plus some voice work on Justice League.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    She was also on an episode of How I Met Your Mother last year. She had the crazy eyes.

Murphy on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    deowolf wrote: »

You never let us have any fun.

I have a bad feeling about a straight to DVD sequel...I can't help but think that they do something like
    ressurect Wash

Either that or Carlos Mencia would join the cast.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Janin wrote: »
    It'll be tough to pull this off. If it takes place chronologically before Serenity, there won't be much tension because we know all the characters survive. Episodes like Out of Gas won't even be possible, unless Whedon throws in a bunch of new characters.
    You were honestly unsure whether or not the main character of the show would survive the 6th episode?

Glal on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »

I have a bad feeling about a straight to DVD sequel...I can't help but think that they do something like
    ressurect Wash
    They never showed his body. BionicWash!

ReaverWash?

:o

but he'd probably appear only as flashback, ghost or hallucination.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Ketherial wrote: »

I assume you mean Morena Baccarin, although she's Brazilian-Italian. And she wasn't in much else, mostly a few episodes of Stargate SG-1 and the O.C. plus some voice work on Justice League.

Yes, she played Black Canary.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bought serenity the day it was available, and the bloopers really are gold

I do have to admit that the movie did loose some of that Firefly magic we all love. But Serenity 2 would be pure fan service, and I would watch it in a second.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This thread just made my day.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PiRaTe!!!PiRaTe!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    O..M..G......Awesome. This bit of news just makes me so very happy.

PiRaTe!!! on
    PiRaTe001.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Janin wrote: »
    It'll be tough to pull this off. If it takes place chronologically before Serenity, there won't be much tension because we know all the characters survive. Episodes like Out of Gas won't even be possible, unless Whedon throws in a bunch of new characters.
    You were honestly unsure whether or not the main character of the show would survive the 6th episode?

It wouldn't have surprised me if he'd died. There were enough possible replacement "main characters" to take his place. I also didn't know if Whedon was going to run the series out of chronological order, so he might have decided to kill Mal and then show later episodes coming chronologically earlier.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Neelix wrote: »
    Plutonium wrote: »

twice

They're going to make me buy Serenity a total of four times.

I bought it once on DVD.

Then I bought it on HD-DVD.

Now the Special Edition DVD comes out, so I buy that.

And I just KNOW that in 2 months they're going to come out with the Special Edition HD-DVD and I'll have to buy that one too.

And I'll buy it with the biggest goddamn smile on my face.

I have the dvd and hd-dvd, and have ALMOST bought the special edition dvd.... but I know they'll bring out antoher hd-dvd too.

BUT... if i have just the reg dvd, the reg hd-dvd, and the special edition hd-dvd, my reg dvd copy will be kinda lonely without a special edition one to sit next to him on the shelf.
    i should just buy it

Serpent on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I place the following disclaimer .... So long as Joss Whedon is involved. His name isn't mentioned anywhere in that article. If he is ....

GLEE!

Yup. If he's in, I'll watch it/buy it/love it. If it isn't, then it just isn't firefly.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »

ressurect Wash

Either that or Carlos Mencia would join the cast.

"Watch out Alliance people - I'm going to say stuff you'll find offensive because I'm {chinese word for crazy}...Here I go, being {chinese word for crazy}...better be careful, or you'll get offended by my really offensive jokes about Miranda and getting raped to death by Reavers!"

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

GLEE!

Yup. If he's in, I'll watch it/buy it/love it. If it isn't, then it just isn't firefly.

To be fair, if Joss Whedon announced he was in charge of a My Little Pony movie with Paris Hilton as the main character (not the voice of the main character, the main character,) I'd probably still be there. That applies to anything he does that he doesn't personally disown like Alien 4.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I'd definitely look forward to it. I'll watch just about anything that involves Jewel Staite.

She will be mine. Oh, yes, she will be mine.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X