As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Gamer Group: PAX Meetup!

TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
edited August 2005 in PAX Archive
So there I was, surfing the PA boards like a homeless man looking for a cigarette in the trench of two asphult stones, when suddenly, I had this idea!

With all the interesting people that will be at PAX, there have been a lot of people pre-aranging to meet up and play some games, or do various other crud.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a DS group? People who want to play a ton of DS (not the whole time of course) and get to know each other throughout the course of the three days? Hell, those people staying at the Double-Tree could play ALL NIGHT!

So I thought, to get the ball rolling, we should all give off a list of all the games we own (even if they are single player, in case somebody wants to try one out). I will update the list here so that we can see it all in one place.

The next step would be some sort of identifier. Should we do something like write "DS" in black marker on our tag holder (not the pretty tag of course) to identify that we have visited this thread? Should we all try and meet up at some specific time at least once near the begining to get to know each other? Please discuss!

ALSO: My offer still stands to take anyone to the mall or Seattle to pick up a copy of Nintendogs before or during the event. I only want to do this once, so express interest please.

GAME LIST
    Bomberman DS - Legacy, Xieflow
    Guru Guru Nagetto - Xieflow(JP)
    Jam with the Band - Legacy(JP), Raiden333(JP), Xieflow(JP)
    Kirby Canvas Curse - GeeCee, MtWjake, Legacy, Borfase, QuizMaster, TwoSidedPolygon
    Meteos - MtWjake, Legacy, RedBeastMage, Borfase, Raiden333, twin_snake1, Moriveth
    Mr. Driller Spirits - Legacy, Xieflow
    Nanostray - Xieflow
    Pac Pix - GeeCee
    Polarium - Legacy(JP), eelektrik
    Puyo Pop Fever - TrainwreckX
    Retro Atari Classics - Xieflow
    Ridge Racer DS - Xieflow
    Spiderman 2 - Xieflow
    Super Mario 64 DS - TrainwreckX, Legacy, Sh4dowst4lker, eelektrik, Xieflow, TwoSidedPolygon
    The Urbz: Sims in the City - TrainwreckX, Xieflow
    WarioWare Touched! - TrainwreckX, GeeCee, MtWjake, Legacy, Borfase, Xieflow
    Yoshi's Touch & Go - Legacy, Xieflow
    Metroid Prime Hunters Demo - TrainwreckX, Legacy, Sh4dowst4lker, Xieflow, TwoSidedPolygon
    Getting Nintendogs - TrainwreckX, GeeCee, Legacy, Borfase
      Getting Advanced Wars: Dual Strike - Borfase, QuizMaster, Xieflow, TwoSidedPolygon
        Getting Electroplankton - Borfase(JP)
          Getting DS Training for Adults Work Your Brain - TwoSidedPolygon(JP)

TrainwreckX on

• Options
            GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
            edited August 2005
            Uhhhh, I have..

WarioWare: Touched!
            Kirby Canvas Curse
            Pac-Pix
            Metroid Prime Hunters Demo
            I'm getting Nintendogs before I arrive.

GeeCee on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            No metroid demo? They stopped packing those with the DS didn't they?

Anyway, added your info. You should get more multiplayer games :)

Did you read the rest of the post and have any insight in the rest of my comments?

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            MtWjakeMtWjake Registered User regular
            edited August 2005
            I own both a DS and PSP. Iam much more into my PSP. I would be interested in meeting up for some PSP action.

I have for DS

Kirby Canvas Curse
            Meteos
            Wario War touched

For PSP
            Lumines
            Twisted Metal Head On
            Wipeout Pure
            Mercury
            Darkstalkers Chaos Tower

MtWjake on
          • Options
            LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
            edited August 2005
            I have...

Meteos.
            Polarium(JPN Version).
            Band Brothers.
            Mario.
            Kirby.
            Mr. Driller.
            Wario Ware.
            Metroid Prime.
            Bomberman.
            Yoshi.

Getting Nintendogs.

Also, you need not go all the way to Seattle for Nintendogs...

There's a Gamestop in the mall nearby...a Toys R Us and Best Buy very close...and Circuit City, Target, Fred Meyer and other game stores within a distance that's not so far...

Legacy on
            Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
          • Options
            DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
            edited August 2005
            All i have are:

DS
            Super Mario 64 DS
            Metroid Prime Hunters Demo

PSP
            Lumines
            Wipeout Pure

Unknown User on
          • Options
            eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
            edited August 2005
            I currently only own Super Mario 64 DS and Polarium...

eelektrik on
            (She/Her)
          • Options
            BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
            edited August 2005
            People who want to play a ton of DS (not the whole time of course) and get to know each other throughout the course of the three days? Hell, those people staying at the Double-Tree could play ALL NIGHT!

hey man i ain't gay

i have wario ware touched (fuck this piece of shit game though, i'm probably gonna trade it in for nintendogs since i got it for free anyways), meteos, kirby, and i will be getting electroplankton, nintendogs, and advance wars

Borfase on
            duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            You suck Borfase, Warioware Touched is awesome. :(

GeeCee on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            no, it really isn't

Borfase on
          • Options
            RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
            edited August 2005
            Meteos for DS.

Lumines for PSP.

I'm a puzzle nut, what can i say.

RedBeastMage on
            I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            MtWjake wrote:
            I own both a DS and PSP. Iam much more into my PSP. I would be interested in meeting up for some PSP action.

I have for DS

Kirby Canvas Curse
            Meteos
            Wario War touched

For PSP
            Lumines
            Twisted Metal Head On
            Wipeout Pure
            Mercury
            Darkstalkers Chaos Tower

I don't wanna upkeep a PSP list too, haha. Feel free to post it but I'm too lazy to put PSP games in teh top list too. Maybe tomorrow.
            Legacy wrote:
            I have...

Meteos.
            Polarium(JPN Version).
            Band Brothers.
            Mario.
            Kirby.
            Mr. Driller.
            Wario Ware.
            Metroid Prime.
            Bomberman.
            Yoshi.

Getting Nintendogs.

Also, you need not go all the way to Seattle for Nintendogs...

There's a Gamestop in the mall nearby...a Toys R Us and Best Buy very close...and Circuit City, Target, Fred Meyer and other game stores within a distance that's not so far...

I thought there was an EB in Bellevue Square Mall? I have never been to the Crossroads Mall. I'm from smelly Everett.

And the Seattle thing was simply in case there was somebody from a far off land that wanted to see the Space Needle or some shit.

Anyway, I updated the list. Too bad WarioWare isn't multiplayer, so many of us have it. Also, did you guys read the rest of my original post? Please do that and discuss!

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
            edited August 2005
            Writing DS on the tag case, eh? I suppose that'd work if everybody kept their tag out in the open at all times. I was just thinking of pulling mine out of my bag whenever I need it, so i don't lose it.

Heh, maybe we should just play Pictochat Hot 'n' Cold. :lol:

Well, right now I only have Kirby Canvus Curse. Seeing as only one person has Bomberman DS so far (that's an outrage), I suppose I should get that. But I do intend on getting Advance Wars Dual Strike when it comes out.

QuizMaster on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            I'm pretty sure Bomerman allows for download play, as almost all DS games do (and I love all of Nintendo's body [including their pee pee] for that).

Edit: That's a joke and if you don't get it you can die.

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
            edited August 2005
            I have Jam with the Band and Meteos (well, getting it this afternoon so I won't be royally owned at PAX).

Oh, and I'm easy to spot. I'm the one with the tie-dye DS.

Raiden333 on
            There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Are Jam with the Band and Band Brothers the same game?

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
            edited August 2005
            Are Jam with the Band and Band Brothers the same game?

Yes.

The Japanese name is Daigasso Band Brothers and the English name is Jam With The Band.

But there is no English version yet. :|

Legacy on
            Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
          • Options
            edited August 2005
              Jam with the Band - Legacy(JP), Raiden333(JP)

Fixed!

Can anyone respond to the rest of my post about meeting up?

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            twin_snake1twin_snake1 Registered User regular
            edited August 2005
            put me up for meteos

twin_snake1 on
            sigpa4fw.png
          • Options
            MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
            edited August 2005
            I'd be up for getting my ass whooped in Meteos.

Moriveth on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            After buying and losing my soul to Meteos, I can safely say that a majority of my time at PAX is going to be spent playing it with everyone I see.

Raiden333 on
          • Options
            XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
            edited August 2005
            I've got

DS
            Bomberman
            Guru Guru Nagetto
            Hunters Demo
            Mr. Driller DS
            Nanostray
            Retro Atari Classics
            Ridge Racer DS
            Spiderman 2
            Super Mario 64 DS
            The Urbz
            Wario Ware Touched
            Yoshi Touch and Go

I will have Advance Wars, and possibly another game. I almost bought Electroplankton or Egg Monster Heroes the other day.

and 'cause other people are listing PSP games here,
            ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails
            Lumines
            Metal Gear Acid
            Twisted Metal Head On
            Untold Legends
            Wipeout Pure
            and Formula Front is in the mail.

If anyone has a Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan Color, Game Gear, GBA, + link cable for the system, I can do those, too.

Xieflow on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Well I'm up for the DS. But I think if you have the PSP you might as well take that along also.

MtWjake on
          • Options
            DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
            edited August 2005
            Hey, why did this suddenly become a place to post your PSP games? I'm kind of wondering why people would associate the DS with the PSP when it seems like the PSP has more in common with a piece of shit than with the DS. In any case, I recommend that anyone who owns a PSP sell their system and all their games so you can buy more DS games. Once you have every DS game (except Robots) then you might consider buying a PSP.

Edit:
            And oh yeah, I'm not sure if I'll come to this or not, but I have:

Mario 64
            Kirby Canvas Curse
            Metroid Demo

and will have:

Advanced Wars
            Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju no Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training

and possibly:
            Electroplankton

Unknown User on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Well im sure that statement was completely un-bias. but im not going to turn this thread in a arguement over psp vs. ds. I was just saying if you have both there is no reason not to bring them. Considering the PSP has better multiplayer games.

MtWjake on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            MtWjake wrote:
            Considering the PSP has better multiplayer games.

i'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there

Borfase on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Updated the list all the way up to this post.

Somebody, for the love of everything that is holy, start proposing a meetup plan! Read my original post for ideas!

I think I will have to get Advanced Wars and Meteos, since those seem real popular. I really want Nanostray as well. How is Nanostray Mr. Xieflow? Is it long? I would want a game like that to have like 100 levels.

Attention resturaunt customers! PSP sucks! That is all!

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Man, there is no way the DS could ever think of being as cool as the PSP unless it grew a better screen, amazingly easy homebrew capabilities, web browser, built in media playback, a library aimed at an older audience, et cetera.

Anyways, Nanostray is pretty darn awesome, TranwreckX. Plays a lot like Iridion 2. It does not, however, offer too many levels (something like 9, maybe?), however it does offer a lot of "challenges" that you can pick from. One might be "Finish Level 1 with only one life", another might be "Get a score of ____ on mission 4", et cetera.

There is one real flaw with the game, and that is switching weapons is a pain in the ass, as it's touch-screen only.

edit : also, I have band brothers. Did I forget to list that?

Xieflow on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Aimed at an older audience? You mean DS isn't as cool cause it won't have GTA? Seriously, the fact that GTA sells blows my mind, I try and play it every time a new one comes out and it is just NOT fun. Especially with the terrible PS2 graphics. But that's neither here nor there.

I probably won't pick of Nanostray if it isn't long. Simple games have to be long for me to enjoy them. Yes, you forgot to add Band Brothers, I'll add it now.

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Xieflow wrote:
            Man, there is no way the DS could ever think of being as cool as the PSP unless it grew a better screen, amazingly easy homebrew capabilities, web browser, built in media playback, a library aimed at an older audience, et cetera.

Anyways, Nanostray is pretty darn awesome, TranwreckX. Plays a lot like Iridion 2. It does not, however, offer too many levels (something like 9, maybe?), however it does offer a lot of "challenges" that you can pick from. One might be "Finish Level 1 with only one life", another might be "Get a score of ____ on mission 4", et cetera.

There is one real flaw with the game, and that is switching weapons is a pain in the ass, as it's touch-screen only.

a) you can't really buy any new games if you want homebrew, and you can do homebrew on a ds with a handy little flash cart

b) computers are for web browsing, psp's are for games

c) ipods and cd players are for music, dvd players are for movies, psp's are for games

d) the whole "aimed at an older audience" thing is bullshit. if the game's good, who cares

Borfase on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Im sure there is a thread somewhere else to argue which is better PSP or DS.

MtWjake on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Borfase wrote:
            Xieflow wrote:

a) you can't really buy any new games if you want homebrew, and you can do homebrew on a ds with a handy little flash cart

b) computers are for web browsing, psp's are for games

c) ipods and cd players are for music, dvd players are for movies, psp's are for games

d) the whole "aimed at an older audience" thing is bullshit. if the game's good, who cares

My computer doesn't fit in my pocket.
            I can't fit a handheld and MP3 player in my pocket at the same time, and portable DVD players never fit in my pocket.
            PSP homebrew is far far easier to do, and requires no changes.
            No games right now are unplayable if you are at 1.5. Coded Arms forces an upgrade to 1.5, but that's the level everyone is doing homebrew at right now, anyways.

Xieflow on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            what i'm saying is, who cares if it fits in your pocket. use a computer if you want to browse the internet, now some awkward little browser that operates on 4 buttons and a d-pad.

the only time you'd ever watch a movie on a psp is if you are on a long car drive or on a plane. a laptop is better suited because it has a better battery life and a bigger screen.

in conclusion, the ds is better because it has better games and does not focus on a bunch of useless multimedia things that are done way better on other platforms.

ok i'm done.

Borfase on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            how can I use a computer to browse the net when I'm sitting in a deli downtown or something?

And I fly often enough to validate purchasing a UMD movie for each leg of a trip.

"Useless" multimedia things? I use every single feature of my PSP quite frequently except for the picture viewer.

And I wouldn't say DS games are better. Different, yes, and it's entirely a matter of preference. I personally think Twisted Metal is fantastic, especially with the online support. And Lumines is untouchable.

The PSP is a portable multimedia device, the DS is a portable game system. Completely different functionality.

Xieflow on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            man i'm soooooo right

Borfase on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            I concur with Borfase.

Raiden333 on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            I have come to the conclusion Meteos > Lumines. That is all.

TrainwreckX on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Meteos is boring

Xieflow on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            THANKS FOR RUINING THE THREAD GUYS

BY GUYS I MEAN BORFASE

GeeCee on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Well anytime over friday saturday and sunday is a good idea. Most of everyone on this thread has probably pre-reged so why dont we meet up one of those mornings when we have a hour to spare before any of the events start.

MtWjake on
          • Options
            edited August 2005
            Where?

TrainwreckX on