As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Too Human - New thread is up

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So.

This worth picking up?

I have heard bad things.

But then again, I just read that this shit has Diablo 2 style, Live-enabled co-op, and that increases my interest about 10 fold.

KiTA on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    At what level do you stat getting red items? Best i've gotten is orange.

Urian on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    VaLiantine wrote: »
    ...til mine broke in the Ice Forest which is official the worst stage in the game. Slow trolls, Explosive trolls, and Ice trolls backed up by missiles are sadistic.
    Wow....it feels like I'm the only person that really likes the Ice Forest.

Perhaps it's because I've mainly played defender up till now? I was thinking about switching to Commando, so I can learn to hate it like everyone else ;-)
    Urian wrote: »
    I started seeing them in my second playthrough, somewhere in the mid Level 30s. Only had two drop, but I've seen several in the store.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm looking forward to playing this game, though it'll be a rental. I've decided not to listen to some of the reviews I've read and just decide more meself.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    ...til mine broke in the Ice Forest which is official the worst stage in the game. Slow trolls, Explosive trolls, and Ice trolls backed up by missiles are sadistic.

Perhaps it's because I've mainly played defender up till now? I was thinking about switching to Commando, so I can learn to hate it like everyone else ;-)
    I started seeing them in my second playthrough, somewhere in the mid Level 30s. Only had two drop, but I've seen several in the store.

You got it good. Missiles don't rape you, status effects can be reflected with your battle cry. Why it was painfully so difficult for us was we were both melee classes(Champion and Zerker) and we had piss poor range and power to knock out trolls which was our problems.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    DeathpookyDeathpooky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Three epics so far, a one hand sword, a pistol and a rifle I'll keep. I might trade my other two epics since trade in value is shit. Me and my coop partner went through so much shit to get some good gear, on the bright side we got 5+ levels out of it and in between gear was incremental...til mine broke in the Ice Forest which is official the worst stage in the game. Slow trolls, Explosive trolls, and Ice trolls backed up by missiles are sadistic.

Wow, this game gets evil at higher levels on mission mode / co-op. Especially the Ice Forest. After hardly any deaths between 35-45, I just ran into a bridge with a slow troll and an ice beam troll covered by two dark elves and two goblins firing ice missiles. It took me about 10 lives to get through. One wrong move and it went slow, ice beam, barrage of missiles, Valkyrie.

I don't think it's nearly as evil for story playthroughs at least, which should make getting the unstoppables for the rest of the levels at least possible.

Deathpooky on
    Deathpooky.png
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck yes, I got my 100 Death Achievements.

Valhalla has been good to me.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does this have split screen coop, btw? Or just coop over live?

KiTA on
  • Options
    DenisDyackDenisDyack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuck yes, I got my 100 Death Achievements.

Valhalla has been good to me.

You are not alone my friend ;)

DenisDyack on
    Denis Dyack
    Director/President
    Silicon Knights
    大悪 :)

In emptiness there is good but no evil. Wisdom exists, logic exists, the Way exists, and the mind is empty.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, 12 May 1645

Too Human
    Too Human.net
  • Options
    DenisDyackDenisDyack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It is my favorite level, especially MP. You really have to use tactics or its over.

DenisDyack on
    Denis Dyack
    Director/President
    Silicon Knights
    大悪 :)

In emptiness there is good but no evil. Wisdom exists, logic exists, the Way exists, and the mind is empty.
    - Miyamoto Musashi, 12 May 1645

Too Human
    Too Human.net
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DenisDyack wrote: »

It is my favorite level, especially MP. You really have to use tactics or its over.
    You have issues. :D Level 2 is scary.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    haha that's awesome pika.

When I play co-op with you,I will blast the sky witches opening song on full volume all the time.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Lmfao, I didnt realize I was lagging out THAT much. On my screen everything looked perfectly normal but holy shit I guess I was floating around on my back and shooting out cock lasers...I also seemed to be standing like a statue while enemies just sort of looked at me and died around me. That was hilarious though, maybe well get lucky again sometime soon and Ill REALLY start going crazy.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well Accault and I just set some sort of record for longest stage 2 playthrough ever. Commando / Champion looks good on paper sure, until 75% of the freakin enemies are immune to ranged fire!

Oh but hey. Last drop of the session was an orange rifle! :D

I love how those damn trolls were immune to both of our specs. No range damage and no way to knock them into the air. Grargarble! I must say Defender/Bioengineer was infinitely easier.

Accualt on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is Hod supposed to take a full hour to beat after you get him to ground level? The only thing that seemed to hurt him at all was a constant barrage from my plasma rifle, and that took ages. The good news is that he was constantly dodging, so he never got a hit in. I'm sure there was some better tactic to beating him, but melee didn't hurt him(and he'd whip out a battle cry on me if I got close), and my laser cannon didn't even scratch him(even the secondary fire), nor did my spider.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Is Hod supposed to take a full hour to beat after you get him to ground level? The only thing that seemed to hurt him at all was a constant barrage from my plasma rifle, and that took ages. The good news is that he was constantly dodging, so he never got a hit in. I'm sure there was some better tactic to beating him, but melee didn't hurt him(and he'd whip out a battle cry on me if I got close), and my laser cannon didn't even scratch him(even the secondary fire), nor did my spider.
    Use Fenrir. I did it on my second playthrough and it took me a grand total of 30 seconds to kill him.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    Use Fenrir. I did it on my second playthrough and it took me a grand total of 30 seconds to kill him.

What's Fenrir?

Me and a friend beat him in Co Op in about 10 minutes last night. Took about three fucking hours to beat the level though.

I don't understand how on Earth a Commando is expected to beat that level alone.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    So I just beat
    Garm
    and have been forced to
    continue on with the stage
    is there really no way to
    go back to aesir
    because I really need to
    upgrade and repair my totally broken armor

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I need an oppinion on whether I should pick this up or not as I'm experiencing a severe drought of new games to play having been burned by SC4 (ugh). I've read the reviews and they're so neutral I don't know what to believe.

So I ask you PA - is this game the cat's pajamas or more so.....crappy?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's totally worth it. It's got some flaws, but the fun and the addictive quality of the loot can't be overlooked.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I need an oppinion on whether I should pick this up or not as I'm experiencing a severe drought of new games to play having been burned by SC4 (ugh). I've read the reviews and they're so neutral I don't know what to believe.

This is the Shadowrun for 2008.

Meaning it's totally fuckawesome and a complete victim of mob retardation. Yes, it has it's issues, but like Shadowrun, they're being completely ignored in the face of solid gameplay.

Nega-hype. More dangerous than hype.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    chasm wrote: »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    The terrible thing is, I didn't unlock Fenrir until making it to the World Serpent. Just wanted to put points elsewhere...

Oh hey. Unrelated note:
    Is the voice of Mimir the same guy who did Master Li in Jade Empire?

Sagroth on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Does this have split screen coop, btw? Or just coop over live?

No splitscreen. Live only.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I can't say this enough: play the demo. If you like what you see there, you'll love the game.

I heart the game very much, but it's not for everyone.

Sagroth on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've got some bitches on coop. Namely that open coop has the ability to fuck your game. I loved it with some people, but I had a level 29 join my level 1 champ then leave after a bit. So I was left with a room that had a level 30 elite troll in it and had to restart the session ;)

Level 2 on multiplayer is some shit though. Ranged ice trolls with a beam freezy laser? Damnit. 4 status effect trolls at once?

I mean seriously, it's like SK hates players so much. <3 them.

As for the reds: there are level 24-29 reds that are unrestricted class wise (aside from DW and hammer/shield sets), and level 50s out the wazoo. One 2h defender sword that I totally wanted, and the other defender stuff is shields and 2h hammers.

Game is such fun. I need to play some coordinated coop though, random people joining is just odd.

kildy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll be available tonight around 6:30 7 pm pst I have my 45 defender or my 20 champ (though I was leveling the champ with carbon so I'd probably want to keep him for that). I found the champ is one of the better troll killers, just get up in there face and air juggle their armor off. Yeah you can be hit, but usually in one juggle you can slice their arm off and then they are a wounded gazelle to your hungry lion.

As far as reds go I've gotten about 6 2 pieces of defender armor that make you look like the class from char selection 2 cannons and 2 level 3 charms (one leech and one black hole instant kill thingy). Can't wait to unlock those charms especially with the cybernetic extra proc skill.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I just beat
    Garm
    and have been forced to
    go back to aesir
    because I really need to

Yea after that fight you can safely head back and return to the beginning of the next part.

Man running MP with a Berserker and a Commando is hella hard. Have already died 35 times and haven't beat level 2 yet. Definitely gotta head back to Aesir often to upgrade and repair, can't really rely on drops.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Where are the secrets in level 2?

I'll be going through it single player tonight.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'll be available tonight around 6:30 7 pm pst I have my 45 defender or my 20 champ (though I was leveling the champ with carbon so I'd probably want to keep him for that). I found the champ is one of the better troll killers, just get up in there face and air juggle their armor off. Yeah you can be hit, but usually in one juggle you can slice their arm off and then they are a wounded gazelle to your hungry lion.

As far as reds go I've gotten about 6 2 pieces of defender armor that make you look like the class from char selection 2 cannons and 2 level 3 charms (one leech and one black hole instant kill thingy). Can't wait to unlock those charms especially with the cybernetic extra proc skill.

I do fine with most trolls, the status effect ones (especially freeze) are just a bitch in multiples since you can't dive roll through the hammer hits.

Champ troll killing is easy. Jump up, one air finisher breaks every piece of armor on all body parts (<3), then mount and kill.

With the status ones (minus the one that's immune) ranged hammer them to death :P

kildy on
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    So I just beat
    Garm
    and have been forced to
    go back to aesir
    because I really need to

Yea after that fight you can safely head back and return to the beginning of the next part.

Man running MP with a Berserker and a Commando is hella hard. Have already died 35 times and haven't beat level 2 yet. Definitely gotta head back to Aesir often to upgrade and repair, can't really rely on drops.

Ok so what you're saying is I can use the Pause Menu to return to Aesir and when I come back to the stage it will be after that fight?

I guess my next question is, for when I play through again, if you're forced to return to Aesir in the middle of a stage what part are you returned to? Do you normally start over? Stages are looong.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, something I'd appreciate cleared up.

Charms. What does doing those quests do?

Equipping runes on the charms does modify my stats, correct?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    Also, something I'd appreciate cleared up.

Charms. What does doing those quests do?

Equipping runes on the charms does modify my stats, correct?

Nope. Here's how it works:
    There are three levels of charms. lvl one are grey, lvl 2 are purple, lvl 3 are red. In the charms menu there are two active slots, and 20 slots for inactive charms allowing you to carry 22 charms.

Now there are two things that need to be done in order to activate a charm. First you must complete its quest. Second you have to place either runes or other charms into the active charm. Once both are completed (can be done in either order) the charm becomes complete. A completed charm when placed in one of the active slots will occasionally have its effect proc. The level one charms are obviously not as powerful as level three charms.

Completing quests can be hard or easy, it depends on the level of the charm. It might be as simple as killing X enemies, sometimes with Y hit counter. It could also be as time consuming as killing 120 trolls (one of the epic charms requires this).

Level one charms are infused with runes, level two charms are infused with level 1 charms, and level three charms are infused with level two charms. Only completed charms can be placed in higher level charms, so its worth keeping completed level one charms to put into level two charms and so forth.

To infuse charms with charms or runes place them in the active slot then press X to select which rune or charm you want to place in it. Once placed in a charm the charm or rune is destroyed, and their effect is no longer useable.

Sagroth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That seems a bit obtuse for something that is largely random.

Sheep on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just beat the game, I have to say thanks to you Mr. Dyack and the rest of your team. The music was great, the levels were great(favorite was World Serpent), and the weapons and armors looked great. My only complaints are that the menu felt a little clunky, and when you die and the valkyrie comes to get you was a little tiring by the end of the game. I'm looking forward to the second but until then I'll content myself by playing again.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    That seems a bit obtuse for something that is largely random.

Well they are extremely beneficial, level 2 charms have dot affects or aoe. Level 3 have leech (health steal) or one I got even has instant death. Also level 3s give you a bonus of +1 to weapon skills.

I was thinking about how to classify this game, and I don't think diabloish fits, this is more PSO mixed with dynasty warriors. Also I hope the sequel they use their current monsters are your level system so you can keep your level 50 bad ass and have him smash through new levels while allowing new players to pick it up and start a new char if they so wanted.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There needs to be DLC. Good DLC,with new maps/arenas/loot/and some new enemies.
    I would snatch all of it up the moment it came out.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    There needs to be DLC. Good DLC,with new maps/arenas/loot/and some new enemies.
    I would snatch all of it up the moment it came out.

so limed.

Sagroth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It seems pretty trivial (minus drive space) to have DLC for. It's already in the shops, and a number of doors in Aesir are blank icon wise and non functional. It seems like it was build around the idea (a second in the series wouldn't need the blank doors in the first game, really).

So addicting. I'm so happy I get to play more tonight on my 20ish champion. Beat it on the bioeng, but ... ow, solo without any room clearing abilities can be paaaain.

kildy on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I just beat
    Garm
    and have been forced to
    go back to aesir
    because I really need to

Ok so what you're saying is I can use the Pause Menu to return to Aesir and when I come back to the stage it will be after that fight?

I guess my next question is, for when I play through again, if you're forced to return to Aesir in the middle of a stage what part are you returned to? Do you normally start over? Stages are looong.

Yea if you use Go to Aesir from the menu, then when in Aesir when you go back to the Mission from the menu it'll drop you in the moment you enter the citadel.

On New Game+ playthroughs you can completely bypass the story just like the multiplayer and choose what stage and which part you wanna play in. Create a mock multiplayer game to get a feel for what it's like.

WillisIVIIX on
This discussion has been closed.