As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avatar: The Last Airbender—best show in the universe

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is about Avatar: The Last Airbender, an epic fantasy cartoon in its third season on Nickelodeon. The show draws heavily from anime and Chinese history, mythology, and martial arts, and is also the awesomest show ever.

Like other fantasy stories, it's useful to begin our evaluation with the world map.

Avatar's world is divided into four civilizations, each one privy to a certain kind of elemental magic/martial arts called bending:

The Water Tribe, who live near the poles,
The Earth Kingdom, which occupies the vast eastern continent,
The Fire Nation, which rules the western volcanic archipelego, and
The Air Nomads, ascetics who (once) roamed the world freely.

Throughout all of history, the Avatar, a bender chosen from one of the four civilizations and reincarnated from previous avatars, has kept the world in balance. But 100 years ago, the last avatar—a twelve year Airbender named Aang—mysteriously disappeared.

Now, the world is at war. The Fire Nation wiped out the Air Nomads and invaded the Earth Kingdom and Water Tribe, and seem hell-bent on world domination. That is, unless the Avatar Aang and his friends can stop them!

Aang_Official.png
This is Aang, the Avatar. 100 years ago he froze himself in ice, and in his absence the world fell to ruin. Aang is an Airbender and, as the Avatar, must learn all the other bending arts to become master of the four elements.

275px-Katara.png
This is Katara, a Waterbender from the southern Water Tribe. Along with her brother Sokka, she discovered the Avatar frozen in ice.

275px-Sokka_the_Thinker.png
This is Sokka, Katara's brother. He has no bending ability, but his scientific-minded creativity and wit make up for it!

Together, Aang, Katara, and Sokka must journey around the world, helping Aang learn waterbending, earthbending, and eventually firebending so that he can take on the militaristic Fire Nation and restore balance to the four civilizations. Along the way, they are pursued by:

Zuko.jpg
Prince Zuko, the banished son of the Fire Lord, who seeks to restore honor to his name by capturing the Avatar, long believed to be dead.

The show has all the trappings of a Final Fantasy game and anime, both in its story and its expansive fictional world and highly developed magic system. However, it is written, produced, voiced and partially drawn by Americans, with Koreans doing the animation.

It's remarkable (in my opinion) because it manages to take all the awesome things about anime—creative, cohesive worlds, intricate storylines, imaginative battles—and at the same time excises the stupidest things about anime—for example, over-the-top melodrama and angst, nonsensical super-powers, and panty shots. It's a Nickelodeon show so there is some "kids humor," but the characters and themes of the show are remarkably mature and multi-sided. The Fire Nation, for example, is not merely an "evil empire," the protagonists are flawed and often act selfishly or stupid, and even the worst characters have a noble side. The show's animation and art design is also among the best I've ever seen and seems to be getting better and better as the show progresses. (A sword fight in a recent episode is definitely one of the best I've seen in animation.)

***UPDATE 7/6/09***

There is a movie coming out, directed by M. Night Shamaylan. Up until recently I've been asserting that there is no such movie because facing reality seemed too painful an alternative. But the movie actually looks kind of alright. Shaymalan is apparently a fan of the show (introduced through his daughter) and the creators co-wrote the screenplay and are heavily involved in production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W1dhqc-JBs

There has been some hulabaloo about racist casting (white actors for the Inuit-like Water Tribe characters, mainly), but personally, I'm okay with it. Why?
Race plays little, if any, role in the world of Avatar. When Zuko is wandering around the Earth Kingdom, he isn't recognizable as "fire nation" based on his outward appearance. Likewise for our heroes in season 3. There are no racial underclasses. There is no racism. Unlike Lord of the Rings, which is extremely race-conscious, you could easily interchange any of the individual characters' outward appearance in the show. Also unlike LoTR (where racial bloodlines grant magic powers), the magical metaphysics of Avatar are explicitly cultural. So it's not as though switching characters' skin color is changing something important to the internal reality of the show.

I think an argument can be made—as Ursula LeGuin has when people have whitewashed visualizations of her fantasy stories—that turning dark-skinned characters light-skinned flaunts a moral argument that is made in such stories: that race is incidental to culture. And even if such transformations aren't motivated by racism on the part of the publisher/producer, they probably appeal to some perceived base of racism in the audience, which is not good. But I am willing to give Shamaylan the benefit of the doubt; I don't think he's racist, and I think it's entirely plausible that he picked the most talented kids who are most into the show that he could find.

Qingu on

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've been impressed with this season, only one lackluster episode in my opinion. My favorites have been the painted lady (god damn that was a cool fight scene) and the one where aang gives dancing lessons. That was the best animation I've seen in a long time.

I describe Avatar to people who haven't seen it like this: It's a nick show, but someone screwed up big time with it. Because, y'know, it's actually good.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's really fun to watch. I really didn't expect it to be any great shakes starting off, but Uncle Awesome Eats-a-lot alone is excellent.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, Uncle has to be like the best character. The guy who originally did the voice died, and as we saw in the last episode, the new guy (i think a baldwin) is doing the voice now.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've loved this show since the first season. It's got everything I look for in an animated show. Good art, great scripting, fantastic voice acting, and a brilliant story.

I'm curious, though- why did they change the subtitle from "The Last Airbender" to "The Legend of Aang"?

Tach on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I started watching this show last season by accident. I was surprised nick was showing an anime type show, so I was intrigued.

I like this newest season because it been hanging loose and having fun. The episode with the beach volleyball was hilarious.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've always been put off by the fact that this shows stated target demographic is 6 to 11 year olds. But all I hear is good things about it, I should make my friend netflix it or something.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I started watching this show last season by accident. I was surprised nick was showing an anime type show, so I was intrigued.

I like this newest season because it been hanging loose and having fun. The episode with the beach volleyball was hilarious.

YOU WILL NEVER RISE FROM THE ASHES OF YOUR DEFEAT

hehe

I also liked

"...My own mother thought I was a monster."

--

"...Well, she was right, of course."

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I express no shame in saying that I love Avatar and find it superior to anime targeted at the same demographic. Except for Zuko's constant and ongoing existential angst-fest it's great fun and a great adventure that manages to keep the didactic morality plays to a minimum.

What's great is that it's also subtly subversive to the typical kids show. There's lots of subtle and disturbing things going on in the show, the whole episode of The Puppet Master and the prophetic foreshadowing dream in Nightmares and Daydreams being the most recent examples.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've always been put off by the fact that this shows stated target demographic is 6 to 11 year olds. But all I hear is good things about it, I should make my friend netflix it or something.

That's because TV execs seems clueless on anime sometimes. If it doesn't have blood or big breasted women if must be for little kids(wait .....there is narutoO_o).

This show is one of the better looking anime series I have seen in a while. The story is great and doesn't follow all the cookie cutter "kid with world altering powers" theme all the time.

I'm gonna have to look up the past couple of seasons to catch up.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A friend, an otaku in denial actually, turned me on to this show. I had seen an ep or two flicking through the channels and had been faintly interested so I agreed to see all of the eps. HOLY SHIT. I was so damn impressed. The show started pretty standard, kids dealing with their kick-ass powers, but the plot developed a hell of alot as the show progressed. The only qualm I had was Zuko pulling a dick move in the Season 2 finale. But thats because I just like things being happy and predictable. Some of the scenes were really quite moving
    such as, whats his face, robin hood wannabe, dying
    as well as the actually excellently choreographed fight scenes. Never have I seen magical abilities worked so well into martial arts. Its really quite excellent. So what is everyone's most hated aspect of the show? For purely academic reasons of course.
    mine is how Aang can be extremely stupid sometimes. Sure he's young, but multiple eps have shown that he has come to terms with his Avatar duties, so seriously, stop fucking around!!! the ep where he was learning from the exiled fire-nation general really annoyed me. Mostly because the general was such a good character, and Aang was just a little stuck up douche for it.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What the crap? I can watch a bunch of the episodes online past the ones that have been aired so far?

I must finish this assignment and get back to my dorm, with haste!

Oh and the end of season two is my favorite fight scene so far. It was pretty awesome to see katara kicking butt, and of course how many kids shows have a murderous secret police?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    joshua1 wrote: »
    So what is everyone's most hated aspect of the show? For purely academic reasons of course.
    mine is how Aang can be extremely stupid sometimes. Sure he's young, but multiple eps have shown that he has come to terms with his Avatar duties, so seriously, stop fucking around!!! the ep where he was learning from the exiled fire-nation general really annoyed me. Mostly because the general was such a good character, and Aang was just a little stuck up douche for it.
    I like that Aang is a dumb kid sometimes. He relies on his friends instead of going it alone.

My least favorite part of the show is
    Azula. Her character seems inconsistent, pulling in different directions—cold-hearted and manipulative and super-powerful, but also young and bratty. It would make sense if she were Zuko's older sister. I also don't think she's particularly interesting as she seems pretty purely evil, but maybe they'll give her some depth.

I was also a little disappointed that
    Serious, season 2-3 spoiler, don't read if you haven't kept current on the show,
    the Earth King didn't join their party. At least temporarily. Who the hell was that guy?

I also feel like the kids learn skills too fast.

Qingu on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Finally someone starts an Avatar thread.
    tallgeeze wrote: »

YOU WILL NEVER RISE FROM THE ASHES OF YOUR DEFEAT

hehe

I also liked

"...My own mother thought I was a monster."

--

"...Well, she was right, of course."

That was an awesome episode.

"You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation!"

"My own mother thought I was a monster. She was right of course, but it still hurt."

That story had a lot of character development, especially for a filler episode. It does so much to humanize Azula while simultaneously reminding us that she'll never change. A lot of shows tend to lose momentum into their third season, but Avatar consistently raises the bar. These writers are geniuses.

Most. Likable. Antagonists. Evar.
    Qingu wrote:
    I was also a little disappointed that
    Serious, season 2-3 spoiler, don't read if you haven't kept current on the show,
    the Earth King didn't join their party. At least temporarily. Who the hell was that guy?

He really is the most useless character.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That picture is heart warming. It gives me hope that Azula won't betray everyone and cut down all in with a swath of lightning (seriously, I'm waiting for an uncle/azula lightning showdown) but we all know that will probably happen anyway.

Heh, I liked in season two after urging zuko to show restraint for so long he finally breaks down and basically says
    Ok yeah your sister is batshit insane, I need to teach you how to redirect lightning jesus christ how is she so evil let's have some tea

Also I like how the characters have changed appearance over time.
    Most of the characters have let their hair grow which is interesting and their dress has changed with their setting. I found aang's hair sort of distracting at first but it's grown on me, especially with the adorable headband. Also he still has the scar on his back. I was particularly impressed that for a while you could see that longer diamond shaped patch of hair on sokka's head when he let his hair grow. That's attention to detail right there.
    It's sort of impressive really, considering just about every other cartoon show around has characters sort of locked in a static appearance.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Consistency and attention to detail are among the series' most remarkable strengths. Hell, even when a voice actor dies, they don't mess around. They settle for none other than Greg Baldwin, who's been studying Mako's voice since 1977.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I really hope the show
    addresses the nature of the Avatar as essentially the ruler of the earth. Is this a just system? I hope it doesn't end with Aang defeating the Fire Lord—I want to see some sort of conclusion to the Avatar cycle itself. Aang renounced it 100 years ago because he didn't think it was fair he was the Avatar and didn't want the responsibility—well, maybe it isn't fair and it needs to be changed.

Qingu on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Qingu wrote: »
    I really hope the show
    addresses the nature of the Avatar as essentially the ruler of the earth. Is this a just system? I hope it doesn't end with Aang defeating the Fire Lord—I want to see some sort of conclusion to the Avatar cycle itself. Aang renounced it 100 years ago because he didn't think it was fair he was the Avatar and didn't want the responsibility—well, maybe it isn't fair and it needs to be changed.
    Unless this is based off of information from the third season,
    Aang ditched because he didn't want to be removed from Monk Gyatso, and even if we assume that he was attempting to abandon the post of Avatar itself, he never says anything about how it inherently isn't "fair" to everyone else - rather, he was sick of being treated differently because of it.
    If it is coming from revelations in the third season, well, disregard this post - I've only seen up to
    The Avatar and the Firelord.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I heartily approve of this thread. Great show.

As to post Fire lord the creators have already said they have plans to carry on the show beyond this original storyline.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there a place to catch up on the old seasons (other than veoh, presumably)

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So wait, even though the characters look to be kids under twelve, this show is aimed at teens? Do teens watch Nickelodeon? I thought that was what their spin-off Noggin channel was supposed to be - a haven for young highschoolers.

Well, no, Invader Zim had a middle school kid as the protagonist and I enjoyed the hell out of that show.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Well, no, Invader Zim had a middle school kid as the protagonist and I enjoyed the hell out of that show.

:D

I wish that show would come back on Adult Swim. I'd like to see what happens when the creators aren't holding back.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't watched that many of them (which is a shame I admit). However the episode where many of the earth nation are imprisoned out at sea under the thumb of the fire nation is fantastic. That episode got my blood pumping in a way that no anime ever has, and film rarely does.

I also love the martial arts aspect to air-bending. I've dabbled in the martial arts a bit myself, and it's cool to see kata moves and tai-chi being thrown around with air bending in the parts where the energy is supposed to be. Very cool.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That's why it took me a while to get into Samurai Jack.

Stupid people. Talking so many good things about this show. Now I feel that I'm missing something and need to watch it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So wait, even though the characters look to be kids under twelve, this show is aimed at teens? Do teens watch Nickelodeon? I thought that was what their spin-off Noggin channel was supposed to be - a haven for young highschoolers.

Yeah but if you market something "for teens!" teens will invariably avoid it like the plague.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah doesnt look like it's streamed on their site at all as far as old episodes and skimming their schedule I dont see it being rerun during the day either.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That's why it took me a while to get into Samurai Jack.

Stupid people. Talking so many good things about this show. Now I feel that I'm missing something and need to watch it.

If you liked Samurai Jack chances are you'll enjoy Avatar.

Also, great thread. I haven't actually caught up on Season 3 yet because crappy overseas air force tv doesn't carry it. I'll probably iTunes it soon.

I too give the show great props for the martial arts aspect. The beauty of it is how well the different bending styles convey the elements they wield. That flowing style for Water, than heavy, ponderous yet strong movement for Earth, etc. I think that you can really see the differences in the moves. And the fight scenes really are well choreographed. The show examines things in unexpectedly mature ways. Secret police, deaths, betrayal, and a definite sort of moral ambiguity at times. I mean, the Fire Nation is bad, but (from what I saw of Season 3) that's starting to be examined, and between the Dai Li and Water Tribe chauvinism...well, the good guys often ain't all that great. And genocide seems like new ground for a kids show.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    According to the avatar wiki each element is based on a real martial art that is sort of related.

Supposedly the fire martial art is one that is sort of reckless, and has little defensive moves, that sort of thing.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    According to the avatar wiki each element is based on a real martial art that is sort of related.

Supposedly the fire martial art is one that is sort of reckless, and has little defensive moves, that sort of thing.

sooo...ninjitsu?

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    this is what wiki says on the matter

* Tai Chi creates flowing energy, and fluid movements to represent water, turning an opponent's force against them.
    * Hung Gar was chosen for its firmly rooted stances, linear patterns, and powerful strikes to represent the solid nature of the earth. The form most practiced by the Earthbenders is the General's Mandate.
    * Northern Shaolin, which has almost no defensive techniques, uses fast, aggressive attacks to mimic the power of fire.
    * Ba Gua's erratic, circular movements were chosen to represent air's unpredictability and cyclical motion.
    * Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis has distinguishing movements and unique footwork that are employed by Toph Bei Fong to complement her blindness, giving her an anomalous style of Earthbending.[34][36]

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's surprisingly comprehensive.

Man, now I feel like a dick for making fun of my girlfriend's little brother for watching this.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EnwolfEnwolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's surprisingly comprehensive.

Man, now I feel like a dick for making fun of my girlfriend's little brother for watching this.

and you should! Avatar is a really exceptional show. The show really is entertaining in content for to both a young and old audience. It reminds me of the way pixar movies are enjoyable to both age groups.

and top notch fights scenes, like really good stuff. When him and the blue spirit are making their escape man, that is so damn awesome. like this is coming from nickelodeon? WTF?

Enwolf on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How are Christians with this show? Are strict conservative parents up in arms over this show for the Eastern mysticism content? It seems to follow that if they were upset over witchcraft in The Smurfs and Harry Potter and demonic references in the Pokemon critters, they'd be crusading against this show on Nickelodeon, too.

"No, son, I don't like the looks of this spirit-filled Avatar show. How about we watch some Bibleman instead?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Qingu wrote: »
    I really hope the show
    Unless this is based off of information from the third season,
    Aang ditched because he didn't want to be removed from Monk Gyatso, and even if we assume that he was attempting to abandon the post of Avatar itself, he never says anything about how it inherently isn't "fair" to everyone else - rather, he was sick of being treated differently because of it.
    If it is coming from revelations in the third season, well, disregard this post - I've only seen up to
    The Avatar and the Firelord.

I'd still like to know
    what happened to Suki and Co.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    How are Christians with this show? Are strict conservative parents up in arms over this show for the Eastern mysticism content? It seems to follow that if they were upset over witchcraft in The Smurfs and Harry Potter and demonic references in the Pokemon critters, they'd be crusading against this show on Nickelodeon, too.

"No, son, I don't like the looks of this spirit-filled Avatar show. How about we watch some Bibleman instead?

While I love the eastern mysticism, I don't think the show is outright advocating it. Uncle Iroh is probably the most loved character on the show and seems to be more or less a hedonist. He disagrees with the relinquishing of earthly attachments (love, pleasure, etc.) that Guru Pathik and eastern mysticism hold as the highest virtue. The avatar state, embodying supreme detachment from human limitations, has never been portrayed as entirely a good thing.

Also I LOVE Azula. As a villain she doesn't have a very complex motivation (she's crazy and evil) but her portrayal is one of the best. She's manipulative, smart, bratty, entitled....basically a spoiled child, but she's incredibly competent. As far as villains go, this is a step up. So far she's a better villain than Zuko ever was, and she also doesn't come with emo problems or an insane rabid fanbase.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

There's nothing overtly objectionable but like any kids story (or any story for that matter) there are some morals presented.

I get a pretty strong animal rights vibe from the show, for example. Recent episodes also dealt with environmental pollution. The same episode dealt with the supposed existence of a legendary river spirit, "the painted lady," a pretty obvious parellel with the theism/atheism debate. Sokka, one of the main characters, is a pretty hard-core skeptic.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ah, that's right.
    They are localizing Avatar for Japanese audiences, Japanese dub and all. Should be interesting to see how they react to the show considering their reaction to manga-inspired American comics wasn't too great. Character design aside, it's stylistically different enough from anime (no overwrought exposition, little fanservice, no personality stereotypes, the pace of the episodes is faster) that it may not be as popular, despite it being a wonderful show.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I initially thought this was just the best translated anime ever. I mean, I was actually laughing at intended jokes without cringing a bit!

I was very disappointed.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I initially thought this was just the best translated anime ever. I mean, I was actually laughing at intended jokes without cringing a bit!

I was very disappointed.

Have you watched Shin-chan on Adult Swim? While it's obviously not the most faithful translation, the writers are brilliant and the dub has its intended effect of perversity and political incorrectness.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

I imagine they have the same objections about Avatar as they did towards something like DBZ - filled with magic (from Satan!), demons, unholy actions, etc. Probably also something about how it teaches children to be rebellious and ignore adult authority (usually an objection voiced by some of the more strict critics when something stars a child main character, like Peter Pan or Spirited Away).

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You guys know there's like a giant thread in SE++ for this right?

Any way yes, the show is awesome.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.