As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who's holding back the breasts in videogames?

emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Don't get me wrong - I'm not eager to see polygonal boobs. This is a thread about voluntary restraint in the electronic software entertainment industry.

Consumers get a good sense growing up that corporations will do anything to make a buck if they can get away with it. It's easy to demonize and parody the rich when you're coming from the middle class but if you ask Joe American how he feels about executives and yuppies, he'll say they have no scruples and they'd eat children for profit if no one was watching. So I'm curious why the gaming industry in general hasn't allowed sex or nudity in games. Ultra violence and obscene language worked their ways into M-Rated games thanks to trailblazers like Midway and iD. So it mystifies me when games give you a thousand gruesome ways to kill enemies but bare breasts and objectifying women are just not done.

The obvious answer is publishers fear the 'AO' rating. But games like God of War and Conan have shown that you can have topless women and still retain an 'M' rating. The ESRB considers AO territory to include actual sex scenes or penetration so I figure simple nudity won't bring down the hammer on anyone.

Clearly males aged 18-34 are horny. Why are game publishers restraining themselves when they know a good game will sell to the horndog audience but a good game with boobs will sell even more? Is it a worry about public image, that the Puritans in North America will somehow be angrier at Midway for including topless prostitutes in their next game than decapitating a boss enemy? Have there been no pioneers in needlessly injecting tatas into games like iD included gore in the original Doom? Or does the public just not want it? That last one makes little sense considering all the sexy female characters in gaming. Don't tell me you've never steered Lara Croft into a corner so you can stare at her ass.

emnmnme on

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Right now nudity might be seen as a gimmick, used to distract gamers from an otherwise worthless game - ie, BMX XXX.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

There is no objectification of women in video games? Are you daft? Gamers swim in a sea of impossibly proportioned women wearing physics defying clothing that have teams of coders dedicated to coding in physics spefically for boobs. Your options if you are a female gamer are pretty much
    a) stick with nintendo and the scattered mainstream game with positive female characters
    b) hate yourself a little bit.

Then you have loads of Japanese rape games if you are looking for something a little more soul eroding.

I cannot fathom why it is that you feel you need more digital pandering to your peen.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    So I'm curious why the gaming industry in general hasn't allowed sex or nudity in games.

PR.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yes, Dead or Alive Beach Vollyball was clearly a model of restraint and not complete pandering to a pathetic market.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Most of the sexual content in Japanese Hentai games are via a story game, meaning you have to read a story and choose a path, sort of like Choose Your Own Adventure sort of thing. Unless I'm mistaking not many American or non Japanese gamers for example do like story games.

I don't mean sexual story games, there are a ton of other story games without sexual content. There is a reason why those aren't avaliable here and thats because there is no market.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Be honest. You've never played a videogame before, have you?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Because....some games....don't...NEED titties to be entertaining?

Maybe?

Transporter on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I kind of agrre with the OP. You would have a hard time finding a game that isn't crawling with skinny bimbos and yet you would also have a hard time finding any with actual nudity. I guess a large majority of the market is still trying to sell to the younger crowd and parents would probably be less likely to allow their kids to play Soul Caliber or Heavenly Sword if there was an easy way to unlock a nude mode. I guess the really desperate people will have to keep making their own booby mods i.e. Warcraft and Oblivion.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    You know what's fucked up that was kind of demonstrated in Jericho? Showing a naked dude with his wang hanging out would be a definite automatic AO rating for a videogame. Showing a bunch of naked guys with gaping bloody holes where their wangs had been torn or carved out warrants an M rating.

Showing a woman with exposed boobs would be AO. Showing a crazy undead Nazi dominatrix with exposed boobs, only completely skinless as a result of having been flayed and with metal hooks gouging where the nipples had been warrants an M.

Something is wrong in our society.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think the reason is that many N American parents assume that games are for kids, and that they won't have content that they think is inappropriate for kids. Therefore if they buy their pre-teen a game they will assume that the game won't have sex or nude women or even boobies, and likely won't even look at the rating label for the game. Thus if a game is made that has sexual content, then plenty of parents will take it home, and when they see the boobies they are going to be quite pissed at whoever made it, despite the game having a warning label clearly saying the game had sexual content.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I have a hard time agreeing with the claim that the videogame industry at large doesn't deliberately design nearly all its female characters as sex-objects to appeal directly and exclusively to horny males 18-35.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lingerie manufacturers are holding back the breasts.

Seriously, though, it’s because any mainstream game with nudity will probably end up in mainstream media with mothers and family councils yelling that children might see nudity, even though the children can’t buy the games. It’s similar to why there are only straight characters (with the exception of Mass Effect, if memory serves).

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Enchanted Arms had a homo in it, though during the first half of the game he's a sissy queeny yaoi boy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It seems to depend entirely on how much exposure the game has.

Multi-million selling GTA:SA has an un-used sex game? AO.

Blockbuster Oblivion has nipple textures hidden on the disk? AO that fucker.

The Witcher has naked wood elves and racy tarot cards for each of your "conquests"? Never heard of it. Rated M.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Yes, Dead or Alive Beach Vollyball was clearly a model of restraint and not complete pandering to a pathetic market.

I'm glad you brought that one up. If your character is showing 90% of an exposed breast, why not just go 100%? All that's left to hide is the nipple underneath a shoestring so what's the point of covering up after that much exposure? Itagaki said once that it was love for his creations that kept nudity out of his games.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It's because they respect women so much and not just for their bodies.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PrhymePrhyme Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Maybe they just haven't perfected nipple textures yet. Give the DoA team some more time. They can do it.

Prhyme on
    170kb avatars make the baby jesus cry.
  • Options
    TalousTalous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Many stores won't stock AO games.

Talous on
    Glampgrotz - Black Orc - Ulthuan TSM
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    edited October 2007

The Witcher has naked wood elves and racy tarot cards for each of your "conquests"? Never heard of it. Rated M.

I'm gonna have to agree with this - Oblivion had hidden textures and got a bump in rating. The PC version of Max Payne 2 had a whole nude model of Mona Sax 'hidden' and remained 'M'.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I'm glad you brought that one up. If your character is showing 90% of an exposed breast, why not just go 100%? All that's left to hide is the nipple underneath a shoestring so what's the point of covering up after that much exposure? Itagaki said once that it was love for his creations that kept nudity out of his games.

It's the nipple itself that's horribly offensive, my friend. How dare it be there?

Talous on
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wasn't oblivion released after the GTA hot coffee fiasco? That would account for some of the differences.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    wasn't oblivion released after the GTA hot coffee fiasco? That would account for some of the differences.

Yes, it was and that does. Because the whole Hot Coffee bullshit established precedent. Very stupid precedent, frankly.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Talous wrote: »

Yes, but topless women or women wearing skin tight clothes doesn't equal an AO rating, as DoA, God of War, and Conan show. AO starts when those characters start humping each other. So you could have nekked enemies in Ghost Recon with wangs dangling or you could have prostitutes that flash you in GTA 4 and still have an M rating. Possibly.

The thing to remember is the ESRB has a panel of average people come in and watch a highlights reel of the game they're rating. After an hour or so of watching footage, they judge the rating themselves. So, like a jury, panels can differ in opinion slightly over the same game.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007

He also noted that he things that the nude mods were pitiful and the people playing them were also pitiful.

There is a fine line between Nude and Not Nude. Covering yourself with a leaf? Not Nude. No Leaf? Nude.

Whats the point of Nudity anyway? Aside form the 14 year old going "Huff Duff" there is no need for a non-Hentai or anyother sort of game to have nudity. It doesn't advance the story agian, unless its a Hentai game where it does.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

He also noted that he things that the nude mods were pitiful and the people playing them were also pitiful.

There is a fine line between Nude and Not Nude. Covering yourself with a leaf? Not Nude. No Leaf? Nude.

Whats the point of Nudity anyway? Aside form the 14 year old going "Huff Duff" there is no need for a non-Hentai or anyother sort of game to have nudity. It doesn't advance the story agian, unless its a Hentai game where it does.

You could argue gore doesn't enhance an action game either but it's still satisfying to use a chainsaw in Gears of War or perform a fatality in Mortal Kombat.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Talous wrote: »

Yes, but topless women or women wearing skin tight clothes doesn't equal an AO rating, as DoA, God of War, and Conan show. AO starts when those characters start humping each other. So you could have nekked enemies in Ghost Recon with wangs dangling or you could have prostitutes that flash you in GTA 4 and still have an M rating. Possibly.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that, actually.

Talous on
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nudity has been in games for a long time, it's just not valuable enough for anyone to bother. The number of people who will buy a game for pink parts doesn't incredibly overwhelm the number of people who would avoid buying a game over pink parts.

Nudity, though, albeit pink-free, is all over games.

Most fantasy games have tons of nudity, they just delete the pink.

Suggestive nudity, besides, is far more powerful, especially since it gives people room for plausible deniability.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

o/` One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong... o/`

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    You know what's fucked up that was kind of demonstrated in Jericho? Showing a naked dude with his wang hanging out would be a definite automatic AO rating for a videogame. Showing a bunch of naked guys with gaping bloody holes where their wangs had been torn or carved out warrants an M rating.

Showing a woman with exposed boobs would be AO. Showing a crazy undead Nazi dominatrix with exposed boobs, only completely skinless as a result of having been flayed and with metal hooks gouging where the nipples had been warrants an M.

Something is wrong in our society.

I know this was a couple hours ago, but I have to express how much I agree with what's being said here.

jotate on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm pretty sure the long and short of it is that wal-mart and any other business trying desperately to portray themselves as family-friendly won't sell AO titles.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Arkady wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the long and short of it is that wal-mart and any other business trying desperately to portray themselves as family-friendly won't sell AO titles.

Except I have a real problem allowing Wal-Mart to be the aribter of our coulture, especially considering their support of some odious practices like "conscientious objection".

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wasn't there a blip of news about the PC version of Halo 2 having a bare butt included in a level editor?

So the reason the purple hologram Cortana doesn't have nipples is Microsoft is afraid of damaging a family-friendly image it has with an already M-rated game? No, of course not - the devs didn't want to include nipples but they may have been encouraged by the publisher to make Cortana shapely and semi-nude. I don't know for sure but a fine line has been laid down somewhere and it seems like the whole industry has silently agreed to observe it.

After checking, yes, the Playboy Mansion game did have nudity and was rated M, not AO.

Symphony of the Night had plenty of naked statues (both male and female) and enemies and was rated T.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Symphony of the Night had plenty of naked statues (both male and female) and enemies and was rated T.

Statues are pretty kosher. You're allowed to see 'art' with nude subjects in school, I thought.

Talous on
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Except I have a real problem allowing Wal-Mart to be the aribter of our coulture, especially considering their support of some odious practices like "conscientious objection".
    What do you mean by this piece of flamebait?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    The first boss in Diablo II had bare boobies.

I remember playing it at 11 and always worrying that my parents would walk in during that battle and be mad.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »

I remember playing it at 11 and always worrying that my parents would walk in during that battle and be mad.

You parents wouldn't get mad at all the bloody corpses strewn around your Barbarian? Damn, you were lucky. I couldn't even watch violent cartoons or play with toy guns growing up.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was JUST thinking Diablo, but the original, there were plenty of topless harpies in hell.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Andariel actually had chains covering her nipples.

I just checked.

Edit: Proof--

edited out

Looks basically like sunday school to me.

Talous on
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    What do you mean by this piece of flamebait?

That Wal-Mart is basically your Aunt Tillie merged with a megacorp?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited October 2007
    suilimeA wrote: »

You parents wouldn't get mad at all the bloody corpses strewn around your Barbarian? Damn, you were lucky. I couldn't even watch violent cartoons or play with toy guns growing up.

I would later come to realize they actually wouldn't have cared much about the boobies either. Hell, they both know I smoke weed, and not only know I have sex, but facilitate it. Other issues they don't care about: curfews, moderate drinking, porn, and whatever else people with strict parents have to worry about.

:P

Also yeah she has the chains but you can totally see areola so I think that counts because even a hint of that shit gets blurred on TV. I think it counts as obscene -- not just the nipple-proper.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
This discussion has been closed.