As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Paranoia: Fun is Mandatory

MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Critical Failures
Anyone want to do a thread-based Paranoia game? I can be your fair and gracious GM. You don't even have to have a rulebook! Post to this thread and I'll make up a character for you.

Btw, a Paranoia thread game will involve a lot of PMing. When you send a PM related to the game, be sure to include [IC] in the message.

Link to IC thread.

This is going to be a Classic Game, using Paranoia XP rules.

GAME RULES

1: DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS. If I see your post has been edited, you will be terminated immediately by Friend Computer. So be careful of what you type.

2: All secret actions must have an IC cover. Before you PM me with an action, you must represent what everyone else sees you do in IC. The only exception is if you slip away from the rest of the group in IC. Then you can PM as many secret actions until your fellow Troubleshooters come to investigate your absence.

Examples:
-[IC] Bob fiddles with his PDC [Bob PM] I send a message to my secret society contact
-[IC] Bob helps Joe climb up out of the hole [Bob PM] While I help Bob up, I use mutant power to make him lose his grip

3: Player-to-Player PMs must be represented in IC. This can usually be done as "Player A whispers something to Player B". If Player C tries to overhear the conversation, I will ask Players A and B to PM me the conversation they had, then I will PM player C whatever snippets are the most amusing.

4: All dice rolls will be made by me unless I say or do otherwise.

TROUBLESHOOTER TEAM APPLE-013

Squashua: Muld-R-FOX-1
El Skid: Scavenge-R-HNT-4
FreeAgent: Jack-R-IPR-2
PsychoLarry1: Dirk-R-ONY-2
Rainfall: Temp-R-ARY-1
xThanatoSx: Rice-R-ONI-3

Mahoshonen on

• Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wouldnt mind a game of paranoia. Sign me up.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I shall also take part, if you'll let me..
    And I've never even laid eyes on a Paranoia rulebook. Unlike some of these other Commie traitors, I'm sure.

PsychoCucumber on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If we get one more, then we got a light Troubleshooting team

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i havent played this game in a good long time. mind if i join?

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Never played.

Am interested.

Sign me up.

xThanatoSx on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Awesome, I'll work up some Clones and a mission

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Anyone who wants to play please post a Clone Family name. A Clone Family name has 3 components:

-Firstname: There are no restrictions on a clone's first name. Feel free to be creative in making one up.

-Security Clearance: All clones above Infrared security clearance have a single letter following their Firstname that indicates their security clearance. Having recently been promoted to security clearance RED, the letter 'R' will follow your Firstname

-Sector: Following security clearance is a clone's home sector, which can be any 3 letters.

Sample names: Rockin-R-OLL, Keanu-R-EVS; Vegita-R-IAN, Ronald-R-EGN, Speed-R-ACR, etc.

I will post the rules later on.

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd like to play. My clone family name is:

Muld-R-FOX

My favorite. :-)

Thread-based is so much easier than coordinating for JParanoia.

Squashua on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd be happy to play Paranoia again.

If you have room for another loyal troubleshooter who is in no way or combination of ways a commie, mutant or traitor, and who loves the computer with all his heart and wants to kill all aforementioned commies, mutants and traitors until they are dead... Then sign me up! :)

My clone-family shall be Scavenge-R-HNT, if you'll have me.

El Skid on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I also would like to play paranoias

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    No no, Muld-R-FOX, not Mulder-R-Fox.

Or Mold-R-Fox if you want a more pronounceable first name.

Squashua on
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have to say, my thoughts have been drifting more and more into Paranoia territory the past few weeks. I've never played, but would be more than willing to try it out.

I think I'll entertain the name Jack-R-IPR for now, but we'll see how quickly I become dissatisfied.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Corrected:

Btw, there are 6 slots. Once you provide a name for your clone family, your spot is reserved
    I think I'll entertain the name Jack-R-IPR for now, but we'll see how quickly I become dissatisfied.

You'll have fun, citizen. The Computer says you will.

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Out of curiosity, which edition of the game are you working from?

Paranoia XP (Mongoose - Excellent)

Paranoia 5th (West End Games : Worst edition ever)

Paranoia 2nd (WEG - Excellent)

- - -

And if XP / Mongoose, what flavor: Zap!, Classic, or Straight?

I'd love to play a Straight game once (1984 / Logan's Run), but Classic is good. Zap! is a little much for me.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Let's go with Dirk-P-ONY

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Let's go with Dirk-P-ONY

Whoa now. What the hell is security level P? I NEED A COMPUTER!!!

Also, no !zap Squash? Any particular reason you're not a fan?

Bad !zap memories?

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You might want to modify that so you have a 'R'ed security clearance. I'm not sure what 'P' is, but I presume it's above of your security clearance :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Right, well, I have never played Paranoia sorry. Dirk-R-ONY is fine

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's all right, citizen. We are here to help you, and we're just establishing early on that you can trust us with your very life! :)

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    But Friend Computer is the only thing I can trust! You must be trying to trick me into betraying Friend Computer!

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    By jove! I think he's got it! :D

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    Let's go with Dirk-P-ONY

Whoa now. What the hell is security level P? I NEED A COMPUTER!!!

Also, no !zap Squash? Any particular reason you're not a fan?

Bad !zap memories?

Barring the obvious Phalla reference, Zap! themed Paranoia occasionally breaks down to be too silly to play.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If anyone can find it online, I wrote a handy dandy "how to play Paranoia online by E-Mail" guide way back in the pre-aughts.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    can i reserve my name as

Durandu-R-ANN

cheers :D

moleface on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sign me up

Rice-R-ONI

xThanatoSx on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    TS Team Apple-013 is now complete.

I'll be sending you all PMs with your character sheets. Do NOT share this information with your fellow players.

I'm reposting this snippet from the Paranoia XP book because it really explains the concept of Paranoia really well
    The Computer: May I be of assistance?

Clone: Sure. Why don't you tell me how this roleplaying game works?

I'm sorry, citizen. That information is not available at this time.

Huh? Most games are really eager to teach you the rules.

Not Paranoia. In Paranoia you don't know the rules. You don't know who your enemies are. You don't know how your equipment works. You're never sure why your doing anything. One thing you do know: Everyone is out to get you.
    Ignorance and Fear. Fear and Ignorance. Those are your watchwords.

Uhh...The back cover says something about a computer.

In Paranoia you play a Troubleshooter in the service to The Computer. Trust The Computer! The Computer is your friend! You are The Computer's trusted agent and protector of Alpha Complex, the Computer's underground city of the far future.

Why am I a Troubleshooter?

You turned in a friend for treason. The Computer had him executed for betraying Alpha Complex. The Computer rewarded you for you loyalty.
    Now you root out all traitors and apprehend or execute them. You uncover corruption amon The Computer's servants and turn them in to Internal Security. You fin trouble, and you shoot it.

What's a "traitor"?

A traitor is a malevolent human citizen who has betrayed his friend The Computer and seeks to destroy The Computer, Alpha Complex, humanity and life as we know it. You must unmask and destroy all traitors. Watch out! Traitors are everywhere!
    Mutants are traitors. These genetic freaks have uncontrollable abilities they selfishly use for their own advancement, rather than to serve Alpha Complex. You mus subdue and eliminate them.
    Members of secret societies are traitors. In organizations unsanctioned by The Computer they conspire irresponsibly to undermine the good order of Alpha Complex. You mus destroy them.
    By the way...you are a mutand, and a member of a secret society. You are a traitor

Wait, I'm a traitor?

That's correct. Your fellow Troubleshooters would be eager to unmask you as a traitor and execute you. You work with many Troubleshooters. They all carry powerful weapons.

Let me get this straight. My job is to hunt and kill traitors. I work with other people who have the same orders. They all want to kill me?

Not quite. They all want to kill traitors. They don't know you're a Commie mutant traitor. Yet.

If they find out?

They'll apprehend or kill you, as any right-thinking citizen would. f course, if you convict them of treason first, The Computer will have them executed, and you may survive. Note, though, false accusations of treason are themselves treason.

So I want to prove they're traitors before they can prove I'm a traitor. I I don't, I die?

Precisely. Dead traitors cannot testify to their own innocence, or to your guilt. It is convenient to be the last Troubleshooter on your team alive.
    The good news is, Troubleshooters routinely get get shot, stabbed, incinerated, mangled, poisoned, blown to bits, and occasionally stapled, so you have many opportunities to ensure your teammates meet their just end.
    Stay alert! Trust no one! Keep your laser handy!

...Are you sure this will be fun?

Certainly, citizen! Fun ins mandatory. The Computer says so, and The Computer is you friend. Do you doubt The Computer? Doubting The Computer is treason.

Uh! No, certainly not. If The Computer says fun is mandatory, then this certainly will be fun. Only a Commie mutant traitor could believe otherwise.

Excellent! You're getting the idea...Welcome to Paranoia!

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hot damn, the thrill of rooting out traitors and serving Friend Computer sure is exhilarating. I can hardly wait to see what exciting mission Friend Computer has planned for us.

TS Team Apple-013 will destroy all traitors!

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm more than excited to shoot trouble in the name of Friend Computer.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'd say this was the happiest day of my life, but friend computer makes sure every day is the happiest day of my life.
    Wow...this stuff is gold. We should be saving it for the [IC] thread :p

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    El Skid wrote: »
    I'd say this was the happiest day of my life, but friend computer makes sure every day is the happiest day of my life.
    Wow...this stuff is gold. We should be saving it for the [IC] thread :p

What do you mean by 'gold' Skid? Would you somehow be implying that you aren't being sincere in your claims of love for Friend Computer?

Because that doesn't sound like a good citizen to me. And you're a good citizen, aren't you?

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    *chuckles* Interesting is going to be one word for it...

xThanatoSx on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'gold' Skid? Would you somehow be implying that you aren't being sincere in your claims of love for Friend Computer?

Because that doesn't sound like a good citizen to me. And you're a good citizen, aren't you?

What are you talking about?

If you're referring to text that might have been hidden under the {SPOILER} block posted by Scavenge-R-HNT, it's common knowledge that the ability to read text under a {SPOILER} block is considered YELLOW clearance, and you, FreeAgent, are only a RED.

If such a disregard for Alpha Complex policy occurred, I plan to report your potentially blatant disregard for Alpha Complex policy to Internal Security.
    unless you give me what I want :winky:

Do note that the clearance for posting {SPOILER} blocks is unrestricted, except for INFRARED who cannot access forums.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, this gets better and better. Of course, the wisdom of the computer is infinite, and he has thus assembled a team that will truly stretch the limits of the word "interesting".

If I get any more excited, I'll start getting all biological... I'd better have a seat :lol:

El Skid on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Looks like Pie-R-SQR is a little too late to the party. Though I have absolutely no idea what is going on with this game, Friend Computer has assured me that fun will be had, and who am I to doubt Friend Computer? Certainly not some commie, pinko, mutant traitor.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    xThanatoSx wrote: »

Interesting, fun, exciting, fulfilling, fun, intense, satisfying, rewarding, fun... there are many words for it. Our Friend Computer has made our lives so great and enjoyable and this adventure will merely be another amazing chapter The Computer will bless us with! Unless you're a commie traitor, then you're going down...

moleface on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    moleface wrote: »
    xThanatoSx wrote: »

Interesting, fun, exciting, fulfilling, fun, intense, satisfying, rewarding, fun... there are many words for it. Our Friend Computer has made our lives so great and enjoyable and this adventure will merely be another amazing chapter The Computer will bless us with! Unless you're a commie traitor, then you're going down...

Yes, Friend Computer has indeed blessed us.

I too have no idea what is going on, but who am I to question Friend Computer? Friend Computer knows best.

xThanatoSx on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I will now post the publicly known facts regarding each character. Once I put up each character, I will then email the secret sections.

While I do these things, each player should come up with two recognizable tics for their clone. A tic is a behavior that is immediately identifiable and recognizable as yours.

First up is

Muld-R-FOX-1

Troubleshooter's Gender: M

Service Group: Production, Logistics & Commissary
    Service Firm: Field Logistics Advisors (FastNCheepCo)

Mandatory Bonus Duty: Hygiene Officer

Tics:
    -Desperately concerned regarding self-weight loss/gain, a.k.a. "keeping trim".
    - Human Spellchecker
    - Must logically analyze each situation, or at least appear to do so, unless opportunity presents itself.

Action Skills
    MANAGEMENT: 6
    -Chutzpah: 10
    -Intimidation: 1
    -Open Narrow Specialty
    STEALTH: 7
    -Open Narrow Specialty
    VIOLENCE: 4
    -Energy Weapons: 8
    -Agility: 8
    -Demolition: 1
    -Open Narrow Specialty

Knowledge Skills
    HARDWARE: 7
    -Vehicle Ops & Maintenance: 11
    -Habitat Engineering: 15
    -Mechanical Engineering: 1
    -Bot Ops & Maintenance: 1
    -Open Narrow Specialty
    SOFTWARE: 4
    -Data Search: 8
    -Vehicle Programming: 1
    -Open Narrow Specialty
    WETWARE: 7
    -Bioweapons: 11
    -Medical: 1
    -Open Narrow Specialty

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mahoshonen wrote: »
    I will now post the publicly known facts regarding each character.

As a longtime Paranoia player and GM, I commend you for providing such information publicly.

For those of you who are new to Paranoia, PM me if you need any help, especially regarding your Mutant Power and/or Secret Society if you have one. :D

Muld-R is a male clone, not that it matters much.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    -Demolition: 1
    -Medical: 1

Potentially one of the scariest things in Paranoia. I'll let your mind wander over that for a bit :P

Edit: Missed the other one. Weeeeeee

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    I will now post the publicly known facts regarding each character.

As a longtime Paranoia player and GM, I commend you for providing such information publicly.

For those of you who are new to Paranoia, PM me if you need any help, especially regarding your Mutant Power and/or Secret Society if you have one. :D

Muld-R is a male clone, not that it matters much.

Yes indeed, let Muld know as soon as possible. He will be sure to aid you in every way possible to help you be the best citizen that you can be.

And Muld, I'm not sure I know what you're talking about with reference to {SPOILER} blocks. I personally would never look at anything above my clearance, though may I say, your above notification seems to suggest that you do.
    An interesting reversal of tactics. To switch from your universal stance of refusing to help new troubleshooters to encouraging them to do so. Rather suspicious in itself, but clever in service to Friend Computer. Just watch your step.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]