As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Rainbows And Freeloaders

12346»

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one who likes Up On The Ladder

Best Kid A song since Kid A

Sam on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bonus disc gives me hope that next album we'll get more electronica
    (Not that In Rainbows isn't perfect the way it is, but the bonus disc almost shows everything about the "old" (i.e earlier this decade) Radiohead ethic that they dropped for IR.

Sam on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I posted this thread last week, to no avail. Oh well.

Basically, in this one Angelhedgie seems to be making the case that the erosion of the respect of copyright law is a more serious consequence than the benefit of modification of the music industry. I think that's bullshit. In fact, I think In Rainbows is a powerful example that what we see as erosion of respect for copyright law is actually erosion of respect for the recording industry. I think that it has become profoundly obvious that they are middlemen living in terror of their imminent obsolescence, and that their flailing attempt to maintain relevance is at the least immoral and at the most in violation of the principle, if not the letter, of antitrust laws.

No, what I'm saying is there are those who are using the latter to achieve the former.

I'll put the question to you simply - say the record labels are either brought down or reformed. Do you think the pirates will stop their piracy, or do you think they'll just find new justifications?

No, I don't think the pirates will stop, and I don't think that's a problem.

I think pirates will be around as long as it is possible to pirate anything. However, I think that if the music industry changes, even if there are the same amount of pirates and non-pirates, it is awesome if the non-pirates are able to pay the same amount of money they always have, and yet ten times more of that money goes directly to the artist.

And to me piracy in Art will always be different than "theft" of any product. The reason being after you pirate something, if you like it you can then go and pay for it. In this scenario, there is no loss at all. I wish more things were like this. To me it is no different than exchange policies at a store. Buy something, if you like it then keep it, if you don't then return it for a full refund.

This is how I view the way the internet has effected art. This is also how many people feel. Also, some people won't pay for anything ever if they can get away with it. Also, some people steal shit from convenience stores. I think the positive effect the internet has had on the way art can be discovered without an often biased medium, and the way people can directly contribute financially to the artist without mostly paying for the often biased medium, vastly outweighs the fucks who just won't pay because they can. This is art in its most undiluted form. This is art at its best.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    jpeg wrote: »
    I like disc 2. Not as good as the first disc but that is sort of the idea. Down is the New Up and Bangers & Mash are awesome, though. Although I liked the older live versions of Down is the New Up better.

Me too, although I do like Down Is The New Up a bit more Than Banger & Mash. Up On The Ladder, it's talks time to love, but I am getting there. I like the bonus CD alot, I nope there is a few more songs around for the singles B-sides.

BoredGamer on