As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero 3. GH Aerosmith to be the stupidest thing you buy this year.

• Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Woot, I finally beat TTFAF on Expert yesterday. By far the funnest song in the game, and not just annoyingly difficult like Jordan. I love it!

Okay, I'll ask you and Slash. How the hell did you get past the intro?!

I've tried using a capo on the green button, I've tried moving my picking hand up and tapping the blue and orange with it after picking the red. No matter what I try, I just can't keep it going through the entire thing, I can consistantly get to between 3 and 4 percent, but no more.

It's really starting to piss me off. I can blaze through the rest of the song (I average about 83-84% of notes and around 250,000 when I play friends at it in pro-face off), but the intro simply kicks me in the balls.

Hrm I wish I had a camera so I could post a video for you... I'll try to explain well instead. I use 2 hands, but I wouldn't call it tapping really in the traditional sense. All I do with my left hand is hold down the green button and I play the other 4 notes with my right hand. If you look at the pattern excluding greens it's not very difficult, so by holding the green with 1 hand and playing the rest with the other hand you really simplify it. Unlike other tapping sections it's pretty much impossible to strum with your right hand then move it up, so I start the pattern by strumming with my elbow. On the 1st red note I hit the strummer with my elbow, then from there it's 1 big hammeron. If I do mess up in the middle I just restrum with my elbow, because the notes are so fast that if you are still fingering them you can pretty much strum any time and the hammeron will resume. As with any tapping section I strongly suggest you start on Slowest until you are 100% comfortable with the pattern of the notes with your right hand. Also one thing to make sure is that you aren't pressing the non-green notes for too long. The green notes in between every other note happen really quickly so you want to make sure your fingers are really just hitting/bouncing/striking off the frets and not just pressing them down normally because you'll overlap into where the green pulloff should be and your pattern will die. One way to help ensure this is happening is to remember to keep your fingers rounded, not straight, so you're hitting with the very tip/bone of your finger not the part where your fingerprints are.

Or just cheat and elastic the green button down and play the other 4 notes while doublestrumming and I'm sure you'll get through it :0)

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Random Name GeneratorRandom Name Generator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is anyone else annoyed by themed sets? It was great playing Carry Me Home, Psychobilly Freakout, and YYZ in one GH2 set, then Misirlou and Freebird in the next. Gives a great change of pace, and allows the developers to group songs by how complex they are. Too many GH3 songs feel out of place, and not just because they generally suck. They also specifically suck, and in context.

Also, my 14 year old sister just passed Fire and Flames on hard, after 3 days of practice. So proud. Especially since I only got to 38% before giving up on the song.

Random Name Generator on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Why do I even want to attempt this again?

Edit: Oh yeah, does GH2's DLC work with GH3, or do you need to re-download/purchase things?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I dunno, two-hand tapping always seemed more trouble than it was worth. Then again, i've never had trouble with my pinky.

Oh, and I can now get some sort of streak going on the Dragonforce intro! I make it about halfway through one of those phrases. Trouble is, once i miss one, it's almost impossible to get back on the train.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Some parts can be played by quick/nimble hands but some parts are extremely difficult/impossible to 100% without tapping... like the Arterial Black solo, or Electric Eye solo, or most of Jordan, heh (or the TTFAF intro obviously).

Most of the tapping in those videos have guys using their left hand for the red which I found alot more confusing than using right hand for all 4. iamchris4life's way is by far the most confusing but if you got used to it it looks like it'd be the easiest. But like I said the way I do it isn't really traditional tapping cause my left hand never moves, I just play the whole thing with my right hand and use my left hand instead of a rubber band ;-P

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Picked this up today at Best Buy, and though my wallet is considerably lighter, it was worth it.
    Aside from the squashed-gorilla head of the lead singer, this is still the GH I love, even if there art style is wacled out and Tom Morello is an asshole.
    The cool thing was, I wanted one of those faceplates, but they had them out for $15 next to the 360 boxes.
    I wandered over to the PS3 boxes and saw "GH3 FACPLTS: SEX PSTLS 1CENT W/PURCHASE"
    Apparently they had overstocked on the one faceplate I wanted and where giving them away for a penny to each person who bought the game. And since New Hampshire = no sales tax, it came to exactly 100 smackers.
    Neat.
    Also, why am I filming 5 songs on the same set for a music video?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Picked this up today at Best Buy, and though my wallet is considerably lighter, it was worth it.
    Aside from the squashed-gorilla head of the lead singer, this is still the GH I love, even if there art style is wacled out and Tom Morello is an asshole.
    The cool thing was, I wanted one of those faceplates, but they had them out for $15 next to the 360 boxes.
    I wandered over to the PS3 boxes and saw "GH3 FACPLTS: SEX PSTLS 1CENT W/PURCHASE"
    Apparently they had overstocked on the one faceplate I wanted and where giving them away for a penny to each person who bought the game. And since New Hampshire = no sales tax, it came to exactly 100 smackers.
    Neat.
    Also, why am I filming 5 songs on the same set for a music video?

And they aren't even your own bands songs. Worst band ever.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Your band also appears to be completely mute, yet you have a lead singer.

PLOT HOLES.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Your band also appears to be completely mute, yet you have a lead singer.

PLOT HOLES.

Also, Bret Micheals magically appears to sing songs for you.
    And the skin tone of the guitar player doesn't change when I choose Xavier. RACIST.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The singer looks like a muppet. He reminds me of this guy:

DonMusic.jpg

elevature on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nice. :lol:

slash000 on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    elevature wrote: »
    The singer looks like a muppet. He reminds me of this guy:

DonMusic.jpg

His mouth isn't quite big enough.

Blake T on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

300px-Song.Air.GuySmiley.jpg?

elevature on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To: Guitar Hero Note Chart Designers

Re: 7th Tier Songs

Dear good sirs:

Regarding the 7th tier songs Before I Forget, Stricken and 3's & 7's, I have one reminder for you gentlemen.

3 note chords are like seasoning, USE THEM SPARINGLY. NOBODY WANTS TO EAT A PLATE FULL OF OREGANO MUCH LIKE NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY A SONG FULL OF RIDICULOUS 3 NOTE CHORD CHANGES!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your time.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    3 note chords are like seasoning, USE THEM SPARINGLY. NOBODY WANTS TO EAT A PLATE FULL OF OREGANO MUCH LIKE NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY A SONG FULL OF RIDICULOUS 3 NOTE CHORD CHANGES!!!!!!!!
    Meh. At least they don't make you do them with your feet.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I disagree; I like 3-note chorts, as I feel they add variety to the 1 notes and 2-note chords. I was actually rather disappointed that GH2 didn't have more 3note chords in its notecharts.

Supposedly Rocks 80's had more 3n charts but I didn't buy that game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hey, dont get me wrong, I do like the 3 note chords, when they are mixed in there every so often. When they become the main component of each riff and force you to move your hands in unnatural ways just to keep a pathetic combo going for another 30 notes until the next set of chords come then they become annoying.

Of course in a few months this post will be pointless because by then the chord changes will become second nature to me (much like Freya is now a fun song where before it was pure pain)

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Hey, dont get me wrong, I do like the 3 note chords, when they are mixed in there every so often. When they become the main component of each riff and force you to move your hands in unnatural ways just to keep a pathetic combo going for another 30 notes until the next set of chords come then they become annoying.

Of course in a few months this post will be pointless because by then the chord changes will become second nature to me (much like Freya is now a fun song where before it was pure pain)

Heheh, yeah, exactly; it'll become second nature and then you'll enjoy it!

I, for one, appreciate it even if there are a lot of 3n chords in those songs because its something new for me, and fresh, and adds another notch of challenge that I hadn't been faced with yet, and I enjoy that in this game.

But you just wait.. think it's bad now... Wait until Guitar Hero 4, where we'll have 4-note chords! :P

(actually there's 1 song in GH3 that actually has a 4-note chord, at the very end of the songs, but I can't remember which song. I think it's a bonus song)

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I can't believe you enjoy Freya, ugh

midgetspy on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I disagree; I like 3-note chorts, as I feel they add variety to the 1 notes and 2-note chords. I was actually rather disappointed that GH2 didn't have more 3note chords in its notecharts.

It did, but Rocks the 80's sucked. The only thing changed from Guitar Hero II were the songs and note charts and some colors, and with only 30 tracks and no bonus songs, it wasn't really worth it. I mean, if you really like 80's rock, it might be, but otherwise it wasn't. And since no one really likes 80's rock, they would've been better off putting them up as DLC.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »

It did, but Rocks the 80's sucked. The only thing changed from Guitar Hero II were the songs and note charts and some colors, and with only 30 tracks and no bonus songs, it wasn't really worth it. I mean, if you really like 80's rock, it might be, but otherwise it wasn't. And since no one really likes 80's rock, they would've been better off putting them up as DLC.

My friend loves 80s rock, and pop. But she hates videogames.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm laughing so, so, so hard at this right now.

It's possibly an after-effect of "Super Mario Galaxy Happiness", but still.....

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just spent half an hour practising tapping the start of TTFAF; I can't seem to strum it properly with my elbow so I ended up sitting down and starting the chain with my foot, and again to restrum when I fucked up. I got through it perfectly one time at Slow speed, now I just have to practise at full speed and I'll be right.

Of course, it might be slightly embarassing to have to do that in front of anybody... but if I go on to beat the song that will probably offset it. :)

Ten on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BTP wrote: »

I'm laughing so, so, so hard at this right now.

It's possibly an after-effect of "Super Mario Galaxy Happiness", but still.....

258120ntvswfv8.jpg

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    Agent--006Agent--006 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man Lou is getting on my nerves. How many powers do I need to store before I unleash on him? 2 or 3? I usually can't survive long enough to get a 3rd power however :(

Agent--006 on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Its not the changing between 3 note chords that bothers me. I actually really enjoy playing Cherrub Rock on expert specifically because of all those 3n chords. The part that bugs me is the 3n chords where you have to pick up and drop off the 3rd note repeatedly during the fast strumming parts.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I really love the song selection in this game, but my only complaint is really that it is too hard. I mean, in the other games I made it through hard with a bit of work, and then most of expert. Now, I can't see myself making it through hard at all. I'm just completely and utterly stuck on Queens of the Stone Age and Slipknot on hard. I can at least see myself getting good enough to pass QotSA at some point, but I quite honestly cannot at all see myself ever being able to beat the Slipknot song. Even if I make it through that maddening opening I'm usually so beat to hell that I'm done not too long after.

Wahoo! Someone else in EXACTLY the same place as me. I just cheated and unlocked all the songs so I can play the game multiplayer when friends come round. Unlike GH2 I don't have any inclination to practice and get much better to beat these songs. I'm holding out till Rockband now.

How far through the songs can you get? I hit about 80% of QOTSA and 50% of slipknot

Me and my friend are stuck here as well. I practiced to pass Knights of Cydonia which is actually a fun song, and I'm close to beating 3's & 7's. But the Slipknot song is just not fun at all to play. It feels like work so I decided to give up for now and play all the bonus songs. I've already 5* all of medium and easy so really all I have left up until Slipknot on hard is to 5* more early tier hard songs :|

Also, does anyone else feel like the requirement to get 4/5 stars is horribly inconsistent? I can clear some songs iwth <90% notes hit and a couple star powers and get a 5, then another with 94% notes hit and a couple star powers and still get a 3. It's really frustrating.

theantipop on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    theantipop wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I really love the song selection in this game, but my only complaint is really that it is too hard. I mean, in the other games I made it through hard with a bit of work, and then most of expert. Now, I can't see myself making it through hard at all. I'm just completely and utterly stuck on Queens of the Stone Age and Slipknot on hard. I can at least see myself getting good enough to pass QotSA at some point, but I quite honestly cannot at all see myself ever being able to beat the Slipknot song. Even if I make it through that maddening opening I'm usually so beat to hell that I'm done not too long after.

Wahoo! Someone else in EXACTLY the same place as me. I just cheated and unlocked all the songs so I can play the game multiplayer when friends come round. Unlike GH2 I don't have any inclination to practice and get much better to beat these songs. I'm holding out till Rockband now.

How far through the songs can you get? I hit about 80% of QOTSA and 50% of slipknot

Me and my friend are stuck here as well. I practiced to pass Knights of Cydonia which is actually a fun song, and I'm close to beating 3's & 7's. But the Slipknot song is just not fun at all to play. It feels like work so I decided to give up for now and play all the bonus songs. I've already 5* all of medium and easy so really all I have left up until Slipknot on hard is to 5* more early tier hard songs :|

Also, does anyone else feel like the requirement to get 4/5 stars is horribly inconsistent? I can clear some songs iwth <90% notes hit and a couple star powers and get a 5, then another with 94% notes hit and a couple star powers and still get a 3. It's really frustrating.

The only thing that matters for your rating is your score - there is a certain score for 4/5 stars for each song. Basically, if you hit every note in the song at 1x the whole way that is the base score, and the 4/5 star cutoffs are just multiples of that base score. So you could get 99% and still get 3 stars if you didn't have a combo going somewhere. The reason it seems inconsistent is because some songs are a lot harder to have a combo on than others. Songs with an easy chorus and hard bridge/solo will be easier to 5* than songs that are mildly difficult the whole way through, even if you end up with the same note % at the end of both.

In order to go for 5* you need to be maximizing your star power. Use it on parts with lots of notes (or lots of chords, even better), and particularly parts where you will be able to get 4x the whole way through.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Am I the only one that really, really likes playing 3's & 7's? Actually I think Before I Forget is the only song I really hate playing, everything else is alright, if a little awkward at some parts. I'm really warming up to the game.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I despise the battles.
    I lost to Tom my first time (On Hard) and am getting my ass handed to me by Slash.
    I can get him into the red using my powers, but then the next little combo I fail and then he gets two powers in a row and rapes my face off.
    If I don't get the first power up, I restart instantly.
    These aren't fun. They're torture.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blakout wrote: »
    Am I the only one that really, really likes playing 3's & 7's? Actually I think Before I Forget is the only song I really hate playing, everything else is alright, if a little awkward at some parts. I'm really warming up to the game.

I'm with you on both counts; for as much as I live up to the thread title, I think GH3 is still a great game. Right now is a really crazy time, game-release-wise, for me to go back and perfect some of my scores, so I usually just play a few songs for kicks (which is really the more enjoyable to play anyway, IMO), but I'll always be willing to drag this out. Before I Forget is the only note chart that really sticks out to me as somewhat clunky, and 3's and 7's is cool (although I'm sure the RB version is going to be infinitely more enjoyable).

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah I love 3s and 7s and I hated before i forget.

Also, when you guys say you hate (or love) a song can you say what difficulty you are playing it on? Because Before I Forget is way different on hard vs expert (although I dislike both notecharts).

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Heh, the Who Needs the Power achievement is broken. I just quick played through Cult of Personality trying to get it. Towards the last note avalanche, it was clear that I wouldn't hit 200,000, so I went ahead and hit star power and tore up the last part. I just got over 200,000. It gave me the achievement.

Also, fuck the Les Paul and it's wonky orange and blue buttons. I've actually gone back to the X-Plorer, with much better results.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay, is this a known problem or what?
    I've heard some buttons being stubborn on the Les Pauls.
    I like it alot, but my red button refuses to go down sometimes. WTF.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Sorry, Timmy. You're fucked!

It's a known problem. I've switched back to the X-plorer, sadly. If they made a Les Paul without the unnecessary detachable neck, it would be divine.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Are these busted button Les Pauls, are they tending to be more often found with ones packed with certain versions of the game? Like, most of the ones with busted buttons are packed with the PS2 or 360 or Wii or PS3, or is it pretty much random? Or does nobody really know?

slash000 on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It's been noted in several places.

From what I've heard (and personal experience), it's usually confined to the orange and blue buttons. It's especially bad when you're playing chords or a long string of notes (think When You Were Young, Miss Murder). On chords, the chord will just cut off, and on continuous notes, you'll be strumming when you suddenly hear "PINK PLONK PLINK FREW PONK DONK." It has severely pissed me off.

As far as what versions have the problem, I'm not sure if it's just one version or not. Most reports I've heard indicate it's a Xbox 360 issue.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    BottlesBottles Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I just got back from a tournament. Won on Welcome to the Jungle and Cult of Personality, got crushed on Cliffs of Dover. No prizes for me.

I really like this game (or what I've played of it), although it must be said I've not played Raining Blood yet.

Bottles on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Omeks wrote: »
    As far as what versions have the problem, I'm not sure if it's just one version or not. Most reports I've heard indicate it's a Xbox 360 issue.

I've heard of Wii issues as well.

Also, my problem button is green, not blue/orange.

UnbreakableVow on