As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero 3. GH Aerosmith to be the stupidest thing you buy this year.

• PartialartistPartialartist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Precision mode is pretty nice. It makes the timing more GH2-like, which makes nailing tough phrases feel even better. Shame that it has to be turned on every time you power up. My biggest criticism of the game has to be that there are too many button presses. The menu system is more cumbersome than GH2, even though it was improved in some ways (namely, the practice option in Quick-play mode).

Partialartist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]PSN : TheIdiomatic
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So... is it just me, or is Down and Dirty the worst fucking song ever put to a note chart?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So... is it just me, or is Down and Dirty the worst fucking song ever put to a note chart?

It's actually my favorite note chart, on Hard and Expert. No lie.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well, yeah. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. The note chart is good, but my god is the song ever horrible. It sounds as though they're trying to be Guns 'n Roses with a terrible female singer.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Well, yeah. Perhaps I should have made myself clearer. The note chart is good, but my god is the song ever horrible. It sounds as though they're trying to be Guns 'n Roses with a terrible female singer.

I believe that band is called "Guns 'n Roses".

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2007

I believe that band is called "Guns 'n Roses".

Badum psh!

Descendant X on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I hate the AFI song. My roommate was aghast when I told him.

Nimble Cat on
    edited November 2007
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

I hate the AFI song. My roommate was aghast when I told him.

AFI is actually popular though, which makes the song somewhat fitting to the game. Down and Dirty is a bonus song from an unknown band that Neversoft/Activision actually picked from submissions that were made to them, unless of course it's another case of one of the programmers saying "Hey guys, I have a band. Can we put one of our songs in the game?"

Descendant X on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Working redneck solution to the detachable guitars being fucked up and stupid and retarded and queer and ...
    Tape the neck to the guitar whilst it is fully depressed into it.

1. Connect the neck to the guitar.
    2. Push down firmly on the neck so that it is clipped in and also won't go any further into the neck (this should keep the electronics from separating from eachother when you're playing).
    3. Tape the neck to the guitar this way.
    4. Profit!

Since I've done this I haven't experienced the whole "I'm pushing red! WHY WON'T IT HOLD NOTES ON RED!!! ARGHHHHH" annoyance. Now, this isn't tried, tested, and true. But this is my solution to it and thus far it has worked. YMMV of course.

Good luck.

4rch3nemy on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Knock on wood, but I've not had a single problem with my Les Paul. Maybe 10 minutes after I started playing the game for the first time, I noticed that my Red button was a little unresponsive, but it happened only during that one song and I've never had a problem since.

I do agree that the detachable neck has been causing more problems than it provides convenience. I hate to draw parallels, but the Rock Band strat apparently comes out of the box in two pieces, but once you attach it the neck is locked into place and you can't remove it. Hopefully that means it'll be less prone to this kind of wonkery, although I <3 my Les Paul far more than the Xplorer.

I also hate to say it but GH3 has just been shit on regarding Rock Band's DLC scope and pricing. I'm glad I held out and didn't buy the Foo pack, given other people's complaints about the note charts. It's a shame because I actually liked the Indie Lack pack for GH2.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • GeeeeeoffGeeeeeoff Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I dunno...I think All My Life has an awesome note chart. Maybe it's cuz I really like the song, but I think it's my favourite song to play. I don't mind having spent $7 for the Foos pack. I kinda regret buying the Velvet Revolver pack though.

Geeeeeoff on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I despise the battles.
    I lost to Tom my first time (On Hard) and am getting my ass handed to me by Slash.
    I can get him into the red using my powers, but then the next little combo I fail and then he gets two powers in a row and rapes my face off.
    If I don't get the first power up, I restart instantly.
    These aren't fun. They're torture.

The whammy attack is key... it's 2 uses are all you need to win any battle. Especially on Hard/Expert, if you use it in sections with tons of notes his meter will drop really fast, or if you use it during any powerup note section of his he won't get the powerup. Also what helped me alot to beat Lou on Expert is to really focus on the powerup sections when they come... I would actually stop playing entirely for a split second before the powerup section came to make sure my fingers were in the right place and I was ready for it, and I'd just focus on getting the powerup, even if my meter slid a bit. Also useful is saving up until you have 3 and it's a decently difficult part of the song and giving them 3 in a row (not at the same time, but in a row).

midgetspy on
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    One on hard is pretty damn hard. I look forward to beating it.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Omeks wrote: »
    Heh, the Who Needs the Power achievement is broken. I just quick played through Cult of Personality trying to get it. Towards the last note avalanche, it was clear that I wouldn't hit 200,000, so I went ahead and hit star power and tore up the last part. I just got over 200,000. It gave me the achievement.

Also, fuck the Les Paul and it's wonky orange and blue buttons. I've actually gone back to the X-Plorer, with much better results.

Damnit, why can't mine be broken too. I've been trying to get that achievement the last 3 days or so. Closest I've come is just under 197,000. It will be mine though, oh yes, it will be mine!

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MrRezisterMrRezister Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You guys are making me feel like a pansy. This is my first version of GH, and it took me three days just to beat it on Easy! Damn you Lou!
    Also, is Raining Blood intentionally impossible to complete? I passed out from sheer frustration even trying to complete the damn song on Easy, in the Training section on Slow! Dammit!
    Another question, for the Wii version, will we be able to buy different guitars/faceplates/whatever without having to buy the game over?
    Thanks!

MrRezister on
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MrRezister wrote: »
    You guys are making me feel like a pansy. This is my first version of GH, and it took me three days just to beat it on Easy! Damn you Lou!
    Also, is Raining Blood intentionally impossible to complete? I passed out from sheer frustration even trying to complete the damn song on Easy, in the Training section on Slow! Dammit!
    Another question, for the Wii version, will we be able to buy different guitars/faceplates/whatever without having to buy the game over?
    Thanks!
    Supposedly Wii controllers will be available early next year. As for the faceplates, I think they're out there, you just have to look for them.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Boss Battle pack is now up for free. It's 72 megs.

Nimble Cat on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This is great news! Honestly, I'm really only interested in the Lou song.

Those of you that picked up the Velvet Revolver pack, what do you think about it? Were they worth it?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Sweet, I'll have to get that started when I get home. I'll do a few more quests in The Witcher or dive into Assassin's Creed while it's d/l'ing.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited November 2007

Curse you PS2... I love the Lou battle song :-(

midgetspy on
    edited November 2007
    Thank goodness the boss battle packs are free. I'm definitely checking it out -- I love the Devil Went Down to Georgia. I wonder if they left Lou's part intact.

EDIT: I also haven't done so in a few days, so I just accepted everyone who's submitted to join Wang Camaro ... fun fact: Out of our 180+ members, only three people have 5-starred Raining Blood on Expert! I know because I'm 4th place and I'm just barely underneath the 5-star score. :x

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Thank goodness the boss battle packs are free. I'm definitely checking it out -- I love the Devil Went Down to Georgia. I wonder if they left Lou's part intact.

EDIT: I also haven't done so in a few days, so I just accepted everyone who's submitted to join Wang Camaro ... fun fact: Out of our 180+ members, only three people have 5-starred Raining Blood on Expert! I know because I'm 4th place and I'm just barely underneath the 5-star score. :x

180 members?

Sweet.

Watch the scoreboards. I'm gettin' up there!

You're goin' down, Lunker!

also, who is Pulsar, and JoahW? Those guys are good.

slash000 on
    edited November 2007
    slash000 wrote: »

180 members?

Sweet.

:D I love leaderboards, and I welcome a throwdown! I have yet to really hunker down and give the old college try to TTFAF, though. Hell, I still haven't ran through all of the bonus songs yet; haven't gotten a lot of GH3 playtime since my wife has been doing work at home and the click-clacking irritates her to no end.

Lunker on
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Almost makes me regret getting the PS2 version, I haven't played a rhythm game seriously since...ouendan 2, until now.

Oh yeah, lunker: I was within 400 points of the 5-star cutoff on raining blood as of last night, so I feel your pain. :|

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    edited November 2007
    :D I love leaderboards, and I welcome a throwdown! I have yet to really hunker down and give the old college try to TTFAF, though. Hell, I still haven't ran through all of the bonus songs yet; haven't gotten a lot of GH3 playtime since my wife has been doing work at home and the click-clacking irritates her to no end.

Ah.. well.. good for me, then, because at this point I'm just trying to get within the top 5 for each song, but some of your scores are still #4 or above.

Any idea who Pulsar or JoahW are? Those guys are kicking the hell out of the Wang Camaro leader boards.

edit: some songs I'll simply never be good at. What is the 5* cutoff for Raining Blood? Did you get 5* on that, finally, Lunker?

edit#2: I thought I was hot shit because I FC'd some song. Then I go and check the Wang Camaro leaderboard, and you're still like 4,000 points ahead of me at first place! (me being second) Can't remember which song though.

slash000 on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm pretty proud of my Cherub Rock scores being the highest on Wang Camaro's leader boards. Especially since that song is my specialty.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
    edited November 2007
    edit: some songs I'll simply never be good at. What is the 5* cutoff for Raining Blood? Did you get 5* on that, finally, Lunker?

edit#2: I thought I was hot shit because I FC'd some song. Then I go and check the Wang Camaro leaderboard, and you're still like 4,000 points ahead of me at first place! (me being second) Can't remember which song though.

I think it's somewhere around 223k to 226k. I thought I had pulled it off with my 222k score, and I was all excited and pumping my fist, and then the results screen slaps me with that 4-star rating. D:

And you'll have to let me know which tune we were battling it out on -- I've only FC'd Miss Murder and When We Were Young, so maybe it was a star-power timing thing? And as of now the only song I think I'm at No. 1 for is Cliffs of Dover, which is one of my signature songs to play, especially online.

Definite props to JoshW, Pulsar and draconos, whose names I see all the time on the top lists. You guys are aces! I was poking around the Tournament section and I wonder if there's a way for us to set up an online high-score tourney for certain songs; that would be badass and one of the reasons I was excited about the Tour Groups to begin with. Last I looked, it looked like you could only create local tourneys, but I wonder if we can still participate online or not.
    flammiebc wrote:
    Oh yeah, lunker: I was within 400 points of the 5-star cutoff on raining blood as of last night, so I feel your pain.

Soooooo fucking evil. D: Where do you fire off Star Power? I usually use it right at the beginning of Mosh 1 and then store up the rest until the big double-note chord shifting part of the bridge (I think it's the bridge).

Lunker on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, I am on the battle with Lou on Expert now.

After about 10 or so tries, I get the whammy on my first power up and use it on the stack of green. Lou goes down and I am excited. Of course, I was in the red at that point so I promptly fail the outro after that. Then on my next try, I get the whammy again but unfortunately use it just a bit too soon and he only goes down to red.

SO MAD!!!!!!!!!:x:x

quovadis13 on
    edited November 2007

And you'll have to let me know which tune we were battling it out on -- I've only FC'd Miss Murder and When We Were Young, so maybe it was a star-power timing thing? And as of now the only song I think I'm at No. 1 for is Cliffs of Dover, which is one of my signature songs to play, especially online.

It was one of those two. Miss Murder or WWWY. Don't remember which though.

You know what song I'm terrible at? Cherub Rock. I suck at that song. I cannot maintain a 4x. I cannot crack the top 5 on that song! arg

slash000 on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dammit, these boss battle songs are fucking exhausting. I didn't expect Tom Morello's battle to be so hard.

My arms started to fall off during Devil Went Down to Georgia, and I failed about half-way through. Those double-strum sections like at the beginning are recockulously fast.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    WOOOOO!!!

290k points on TTFAF on expert. Does that make me the second person here to beat it?

Edit: Proof!
    TTFaF.jpg

Ballman on
    edited November 2007
    Third I think.

midgetspy on
    edited November 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    WOOOOO!!!

290k points on TTFAF on expert. Does that make me the second person here to beat it?

Edit: Proof!
    TTFaF.jpg

Fuck yeah, great job! You beat the crap out of my TTAF score, which was 256k or something.. 83% notes hit.

I'm pretty sure that 2 other people besides me have beaten it as well. So you're number 4 to get through it that I know of. Congrats!

slash000 on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2007
    So in protest of GH3 being a mediocre pile of poop and the fact that Rock Band is delayed a month here, I beat GH2 on expert. I was stuck on Hangar 18 and Institutionalized for a while, but 4 starred Free Bird on the first shot, wooooooo.
    bfflolwins.jpg

I said I'd probably never beat GH2, but I think I can guarantee I won't even bother trying with GH3.

bombardier on
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    flammiebc wrote:
    Oh yeah, lunker: I was within 400 points of the 5-star cutoff on raining blood as of last night, so I feel your pain.

Soooooo fucking evil. D: Where do you fire off Star Power? I usually use it right at the beginning of Mosh 1 and then store up the rest until the big double-note chord shifting part of the bridge (I think it's the bridge).

Actually, I don't use star power there any longer; I can get past it easily, I just can't combo it for points quite yet. I usually hold the star power until I get the one right after mosh 1, then trigger it for the section with the triple-chord runs. Tends to get me more points doing most of it under 8x. My problem is getting the next set of star power notes; the 1/6th-16th mash section leading into mosh 2. If I don't miss that, I would blow well past the 5-star mark; but instead, I land everything but that, and end the song with 2.5 bulbs of star power :/

edit: in other amusing news, 399,333 points on TTFAF is not enough for a 4-star.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I can see why they didn't include the boss songs before. They are extremely unfun imho, even Devil Went Down to Georgia. The melody parts are fine, but the solo parts are just stupid. They're aimless and don't even sound like music.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
    edited November 2007
    Man, I can see why they didn't include the boss songs before. They are extremely unfun imho, even Devil Went Down to Georgia. The melody parts are fine, but the solo parts are just stupid. They're aimless and don't even sound like music.

The thing is, would it have really hurt just to include it as an optional thing to play, even if that meant playing in Quickplay or Career after you beat it or anything at all like that?

The work was already done. The songs were already in the game. All they had to do was put an option in there to let us play the songs in QP or Career.

slash000 on
  • GeeeeeoffGeeeeeoff Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow...The Devil Went Down to Georgia is HARRRD. It's even hard on Medium. I got a fantastic 3 star review on my first play-through. I think I got just over halfway through on Hard difficulty. I watched some videos of it on Expert and I think it might be harder than Dragonforce...

Geeeeeoff on
    edited November 2007
    I'm quite pissed at DWDtG right now. I keep failing at 4%. Lou's single note lines are just to fast, no matter how hard and fast I pump my right arm, I just can't keep up long enough to make it to the RG chords.

Also, if anyone on the boards in the KC area that can do the intro to TtFaF, I'll pay you to stop by my house and get me past it. I know I can handle the rest of the song, just can't do the intro, even with 2 weeks worth of practice and trying every technique (two-hand tapping, capo/rubber band on green fret, etc...) known to man.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

180 members?

Sweet.

also, who is Pulsar, and JoahW? Those guys are good.
    hi. :lol:

Edit: I can't beat DWDtG. :( I made it to like 70-something percent, but that second solo is just ridiculous.

Also, for TtFaF, I couldn't beat the intro until I learned to tap it. Start on slowest, practice elbow-strumming, and use two fingers on your fret hand for green and red, and 3 fingers on your strum hand for yellow, blue, and orange. You should be able to get it on slowest pretty quickly, then slower not too much longer after that, somewhat longer for slow, and then the gap between slow and full speed is pretty big, but with enough practice you'll get it eventually.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif