As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex 3

1101112131416»

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Realistic is the only way to play.

I noticed on realistic if you take anything from behind the bar the cybernetic barmaid opens up, if you kill her someone shouts out something like "The bartender is dead! Free Drinks!"

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A lot more games could do with places that are "yours", but exists as a safezone in the game world. On of my big gripes with GTA4 is that you could get apartments, but couldn't do anything with them. No equipments storage, no respawning special equipment for getting hidden packages (why the hell did they stop doing that after GTA Vice City?), and even the car storage was shit. Wow, I can store... 2 cars.

I want to be able to stash equipment for later. Store items I find in the game but may not need. Having an untouched place that just holds on to your stuff is a remarkably immersive event.

And in regards to Jock
    you can go to his apartment? AND KEEP HIM FROM DYING?!?!

darth_vader_nooo1.jpg

You guys can go straight to hell. I'm reinstalling and it's all your fault.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Yeah it took me 4 years to find it, I was surprised I did not find it earlier. So much awesome.

I found it once and then I lost it and then I found it again years later and currently I've forgotten how to get to it, and where you get the key from.

(you can get free items in San Andreas from graffiti, clams, and something in los venturas)

(I'm trying to play Invisible War. it keeps crashing at new game)

Iriah on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Iriah wrote: »
    (you can get free items in San Andreas from graffiti, clams, and something in los venturas)

Actually, you can get stupid shit in San Andreas from those hidden items (wow, boosted sex appeal. Glad I hunted down 100 clams for that...) In Vice City and GTAIII, every ten hidden packages added a new item to your safehouses. I like the Jamaican guy who sold you weapons, but compared with starting every load with new body armor and reloads and replacements for your weapons, having to call the guy then drive out to him was just a pain in the ass. Killing TWO HUNDRED PIGEONS to get access to a single helicopter you can swipe off the top of a building is just stupid.

Was it really just too much to ask to have body armor at every safehouse?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Re: Jock.
    I'm kinda stupefied anyone didn't save him. I mean the dude who planted the bomb practically had a giant sign above his head that said EVIL BOMBER DUDE.

august on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    august wrote: »
    I'm kinda stupefied anyone didn't save him. I mean the dude who planted the bomb practically had a giant sign above his head that said EVIL BOMBER DUDE.

I had a case of "regular game stupids" and thought that there was nothing I could do about it

Basically I forgot I was playing Deus Ex and my actions had an actual impact on the game

Christ the sequel better get this down

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bon Apetit.

PS -

Jock - " JC A BOMB!"

JC - " A BOOOMMMMMBBB????"

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also I never found the actual guy in game who says I SPEELT MY DREENK

Must be in Paris somewhere I'm guessing

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I certainly noticed him, I just didn't think killing some random mechanic would magically make a bomb show up. Stupid me for not knowing how the real world works.

It was said by some drunken Russian sailor at the top floor of the Hong Kong club. I want to say he was surrounded by women and playing pool, but I may be inventing memories.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

China, top floor of the really fancy bar D12 raid and has the really corny aussie chicks begging for a ticket., some russian sailor dude says it.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Bon Apetit.

PS -

Jock - " JC A BOMB!"

JC - " A BOOOMMMMMBBB????"

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

august on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TechBoy wrote: »
    I certainly noticed him, I just didn't think killing some random mechanic would magically make a bomb show up. Stupid me for not knowing how the real world works.
    It's more that your paranoia about him makes everyone else recheck everything again and they discover the bomb that way. If you're not especially paranoid nobody thinks to recheck things and discover it

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You can just ask the head of the Illuminati about his sketchy ass.

Seeing as how they did everything but dress him up like Snidely Whiplash.

august on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Everyone should basically read this article about Deus Ex. It explains very well why it is among the best things this video game medium has produced. It's one of the few games that made me really feel it was a tabletop RPG where you could do anything.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can just ask the head of the Illuminati about his sketchy ass.

Seeing as how they did everything but dress him up like Snidely Whiplash.
    I didn't know you could talk to Everett about it. I watched the thing on youtube and realized why I didn't do that. Everett is fucking far. But at least that solution makes sense to me. I am content again :P

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    On the topic of Deus Ex...

I've played this game three times now, but I never had a computer to run it with the full specs. Now, however, I have a Macbook pro. If I buy the Mac version, does it run well under an Intel Mac? I have the windows version, but I don't want to install bootcamp.

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only thing Deus Ex lacked was the option to punch someone to death with my bare hands. Stuff, you could use a crowbar but it just doesn't have that personal touch.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    FartzFartz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    jimenex wrote: »
    On the topic of Deus Ex...

I've played this game three times now, but I never had a computer to run it with the full specs. Now, however, I have a Macbook pro. If I buy the Mac version, does it run well under an Intel Mac? I have the windows version, but I don't want to install bootcamp.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to install bootcamp. Deus Ex was never updated for OS X, much less Intel Macs. Which is a damn shame.

Fartz on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If Deus Ex 3 is crap, then I've always wanted to make a mod where you play as an early nanoaug agent and you're an assassin for Page/Simons, of course it would have pretty much the exact same gameplay as the original with some new augs, and smarter enemies. Also a whole new storyline. If it ever turns out, I would make it on Cryengine 2, which I'm planning to learn to map with. Too bad I can't code or anything. Theres a crapload of stuff you would need to add to the engine to make it Deus Ex style. (Changing storyline, multiple choice conversations, stat system, health system, inventory system.)

donhonk on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So apparently, according to DX3's lead designer, DX1 was "too slow" and "was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience"

http://www.edge-online.com/news/deus-ex-was-%E2%80%9Ckinda-slow%E2%80%9D-says-deus-ex-3-dev

In other news, the thief series has been deemed "simulation", and further incarnations will be more similar to this:
    1072446955.jpg

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So apparently, according to DX3's lead designer, DX1 was "too slow" and "was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience"

:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|D:

Fuck.

donhonk on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Wuh oh
    In an interview with Edge magazine, published tomorrow, Dugas says the original Deus Ex was “kind of slow”. He added, “There weren’t enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience.”

But he said developer Eidos Montreal would not attempt to dumb down the much-loved RPG-shooter franchise. “At this point we don’t know exactly which platforms we’re going to be out on. The PC, we’ll be there for sure. But for us, console-isation isn’t about dumbing down features. If we’re to go console we will want to keep the complexity alive. We want the menu interface and controller to feel simple without risking any of their potential"

EDIT: Damn you all beating me.

So expect it to be more Gears of War and less Deus Ex basically.

You know they don't get it when one of the best games ever is considered not particularly memorable.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    donhonk wrote: »

:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:|D:

Fuck.

I'm playing through this game for the first time, and I don't see how it can get any better than this.

No other game has made me feel for characters in the game like this, not even Bioshock with the Little Sisters.
    I just blew up a tanker full of a deadly virus that could wipe out New York, good stuff right? The only problem, right before I did it, I read the captain's email and one of the messages was his little daughter talking about she really wanted to see him again, and how bad men were coming and watching me and mommy.

Inferring that the Captain is being forced to do this job.

Oh god, I am a terrible person.

Verr on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, Deus Ex was great. Just give me more of it! That's all I want out of a damn sequel to Deus Ex! More Deus Ex!

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    With the speed the original Deus Ex went over their head, I'm surprised the developers have any hair left.

Maybe I should finally bother figuring out the original DX editor and script me a hell of a twisted series of events. Edit - I see I'm not alone in this.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Slow paced? That's how you build FUCKING ATMOSPHERE.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    @ Peregrine :P
    If Deus Ex 3 is crap, then I've always wanted to make a mod where you play as an early nanoaug agent and you're an assassin for Page/Simons, of course it would have pretty much the exact same gameplay as the original with some new augs, and smarter enemies. Also a whole new storyline.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    @ Peregrine :P
    If Deus Ex 3 is crap, then I've always wanted to make a mod where you play as an early nanoaug agent and you're an assassin for Page/Simons, of course it would have pretty much the exact same gameplay as the original with some new augs, and smarter enemies. Also a whole new storyline.

Someone posted a pretty fuckawesome MissionScripting tutorial here:
    http://www.dxediting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1829

Problem is I've never used UnrealED and I wager my maps would suck, but yeah, better get started since it looks like DX3 is going to suck from the same cock that DX2 heartily throated.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    UGH CODING! D:

*gets started* :P

donhonk on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darksteel wrote: »
    Everyone should basically read this article about Deus Ex. It explains very well why it is among the best things this video game medium has produced. It's one of the few games that made me really feel it was a tabletop RPG where you could do anything.

Nice read, I'd never thought about how flexible Deus Ex is compared to other games.. Really puts it into perspective.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    UGH CODING! D:

I can code if you can map.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    UGH CODING! D:

I can code if you can map.

I've only done rudimentary stuff in Hammer and Unreal Ed 3, so I'm a huge noob to it as well. I'll see what Unreal Ed 1 is like.

donhonk on