As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

News saying that Mortal Kombat killed a child

Gloss GreenGloss Green Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
OK, now I'm mad. The "news" is at it again. They are reporting that two teenagers had killed a 7 year old girl while playing Mortal Kombat, and it was the GAMES fault. They have "experts" being interviewed agreeing with them. I know, and you all know, that that is bullshit. What is wrong with this world when people stop looking at their own behavior and start blaming others for violence? I don't think I'm wrong pn this, but tell me if I am.

Gloss Green on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Look, they always do this. It's just the usual sensationalist garbage.

They had a news story a few weeks ago where some guy attacked a kid with a sword for stealing video games.

They brought on some random douche who proclaimed that video games promote violence by creating a world without consequences.

As an aside, they noted that the video games actually belonged to the guy's CHILDREN.

So, there's no reason to assume he even played the things.

But the douche said his piece all the same.

Usual stuff.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    FATALITY

KANO WINS

Doc on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't even imagine this. How do you kill someone while playing Mortal Kombat?

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    According to the news the guy was "going all karate on her". He kicked her and bodyslammed her. Now tell me, how is that the games fault? And yes, it is completely retarded to blame a game for the actions for a near adult.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, he wouldn't know karate if he didn't play Mortal Kombat.

Hoz on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is...Are we back in 1993?

Gim on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ya, and Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, and The Karate Kid never existed.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    Is...Are we back in 1993?

I hope not. With all the stuff with Manhunt 2 and now this? It probably won't go anywhere, but in an election year, who knows?

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    you guys are forgetting that he threw balls of ice that froze the girl then threw an uppercut that shattered her

it was pretty horrible

Doc on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    According to the news the guy was "going all karate on her". He kicked her and bodyslammed her. Now tell me, how is that the games fault? And yes, it is completely retarded to blame a game for the actions for a near adult.

The news is simply looking for a headline to grab your interest and it worked. "Teens charged in 'Mortal Kombat' killing" sounds better than "Teens charged in drunken, body slam killing." And they didn't come up with this, you should look into what the prosecutor and the suspects said.

"Two teens have been charged with killing the 7-year-old sister of one of them by beating her with imitations of moves from the "Mortal Kombat" video game, prosecutors said."

"Zoe lost consciousness and stopped breathing after the teens hit, kicked and body-slammed her, imitating moves used in the video game, the document said."

It's not the media's fault that the prosecutor and apparently the suspects said it came about because they were imitating moves from the video game.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    And why is there no link in the OP?

Gim on
  • Options
    Caliban42Caliban42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm reserving my outrage for the fucktards that actually killed the little girl. The dead girl's step-sister and her boyfriend got drunk and started beating up this little girl with karate moves. After they knock her out, the dumbass boyfriend broke an egg in her mouth to see if she was fooling around. Oh, and the article I read mentioned he was a karate "expert" (they used the quotation marks) and he said his fists were registered as lethal weapons. So he was a douche before he killed a kid, now he's just a waste of carbon. The sister is too, but I can only assume as to her pre-killing douchey-ness. She's just guilty of that by association.

Caliban42 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    you guys are forgetting that he threw balls of ice that froze the girl then threw an uppercut that shattered her

it was pretty horrible

Shoulda done a Friendship.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Invisible wrote: »

The news is simply looking for a headline to grab your interest and it worked. "Teens charged in 'Mortal Kombat' killing" sounds better than "Teens charged in drunken, body slam killing." And they didn't come up with this, you should look into what the prosecutor and the suspects said.

"Two teens have been charged with killing the 7-year-old sister of one of them by beating her with imitations of moves from the "Mortal Kombat" video game, prosecutors said."

"Zoe lost consciousness and stopped breathing after the teens hit, kicked and body-slammed her, imitating moves used in the video game, the document said."

It's not the media's fault that the prosecutor and apparently the suspects said it came about because they were imitating moves from the video game.

Unfortunately, on this one the media, Fox News is what I've got on at the moment, is not even attempting to be unbiased. They are going off the handle on this one. But what you said is right, just to grab ratings. My question is, do we have to put up with this new attack on my favorite (stress releasing) hobby.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How old were the two teenagers? See, I only have to ask this because the link to the story was not fucking provided.

Hoz on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/20/mortal.kombat.ap/index.html
    CNN wrote:
    According to the affidavit, when the witness asked why they didn't stop, he responded, "I don't know; I was drunk."

So clearly Mortal Kombat had everything to do with her death, rather than an immature babysitter and underage drinking.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Caliban42 wrote: »
    I'm reserving my outrage for the fucktards that actually killed the little girl. The dead girl's step-sister and her boyfriend got drunk and started beating up this little girl with karate moves. After they knock her out, the dumbass boyfriend broke an egg in her mouth to see if she was fooling around. Oh, and the article I read mentioned he was a karate "expert" (they used the quotation marks) and he said his fists were registered as lethal weapons. So he was a douche before he killed a kid, now he's just a waste of carbon. The sister is too, but I can only assume as to her pre-killing douchey-ness. She's just guilty of that by association.

At least they'll be charged as adults. Electric chair anyone?

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Unless he was doing it to steal her Barbie's play house, I don't see the death penalty coming into this.

Hoz on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Unfortunately, on this one the media, Fox News is what I've got on at the moment, is not even attempting to be unbiased. They are going off the handle on this one. But what you said is right, just to grab ratings. My question is, do we have to put up with this new attack on my favorite (stress releasing) hobby.

I'm reading the AP story and no, they're not attacking your hobby. 'Mortal Kombat killing' makes for better headlines than other alternatives, just like the 'Jena Six', 'Joe Cool killings', 'Zoloft murders', etc.

Just because something is reported doesn't mean they're singling out your hobby and attacking it. It's just reporting according to the documents and information provided.

Video games make for a good hook, the same with legal drugs, television, basically anything that's not usually the cause of a crime. Dog bites man isn't news, but man bites dog is. If someone killed someone over say a game of scrabble, you'd see the same level of coverage and the same types of quotes.

Invisible on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MSNBC has already been quoted as saying that the "mortal kombat" defense here won't hold up, since a) none of the things done to the girl were really part of video game, and 2) the kids seemed to be using the game as some kind of last ditch excuse. I don't have a link, sorry, it was telvised.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Unless he was doing it to steal her Barbie's play house, I don't see the death penalty coming into this.

Probably not, but we can hope for some justice for the little girl. In India a few years ago a guy killed a few people. When he was convicted he was sentenced to die the same way as his victims died. He was strangled, dismembered, and put in a vat of acid. He was dead after the strangling, but the Indians know an eye for and eye pretty well.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Watch Fox News, that is what they are saying. The reporter was giving her personal opinion about the game that had nothing to do with the case or what the kids said. That is what pissed me off. "Fair and balanced" my ass.

I'm reading the AP story and no, they're not attacking your hobby. 'Mortal Kombat killing' makes for better headlines than other alternatives, just like the 'Jena Six', 'Joe Cool killings', 'Zoloft murders', etc.

Just because something is reported doesn't mean they're singling out your hobby and attacking it. It's just reporting according to the documents and information provided.

Video games make for a good hook, the same with legal drugs, television, basically anything that's not usually the cause of a crime. Dog bites man isn't news, but man bites dog is. If someone killed someone over say a game of scrabble, you'd see the same level of coverage and the same types of quotes.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    then the other guy thew a razor-edged hat at her, and he had not seen the movie goldfinger

how do you explain that

Doc on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    he fucking kicked a little kid. then blamed it on video games.

someone please bring these back onto the market!

tQYhkYOvqwcm7hmKeCHrR78w-CXz1hVP028A.jpg
    win for you if you remember these

alternatively, their death sentences could be hilarious spectacles of entertainment

jaxfatal.gif

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok, now I'm calm again. I just hate seeing unprofessional newscasters giving their personal opinion on something they know nothing about. My thoughts go out to the little girl that lost her life over something as stupid as being a punching bag for a kid that new better.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    delphinus wrote: »

tQYhkYOvqwcm7hmKeCHrR78w-CXz1hVP028A.jpg

Never happen, plus, Ultimate Warrior is dead.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    STOP TAKING AWAY MY VIDYA GAMES~~~~~

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    okay, let's ban video games.. they're gone, everyone turn em off and throw them away.. now please.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    then the other guy thew a razor-edged hat at her, and he had not seen the movie goldfinger

how do you explain that

Doc wins, flawless victory, etc.

Like the other people are saying, OP, seriously, it's no big deal. I understand that this is a gaming website and you're probably shocked that the rest of us don't share your indignation, but you have to understand that we get badly-written threads about the latest video game atrocity all the time.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    jacobkosh wrote: »

how do you explain that

Like the other people are saying, OP, seriously, it's no big deal. I understand that this is a gaming website and you're probably shocked that the rest of us don't share your indignation, but you have to understand that we get badly-written threads about the latest video game atrocity all the time.

yeah, the best thing to do would be to just take these kids out of society by giving them the maximum allowable sentance. Just get rid of them till they're like 60

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

how do you explain that

Nah, I'm not shocked, not even with the case itself. Just disappointed in the reaction in the news media about the unproven theory of video games and violence. Can't wait to hear Jack Thompson's comments on this, because he will. Another big gaming news story this week was the dismissal of Ole' Jackie Boy's case against Mortal Kombat. He'll be on the air soon to say "Told you so".

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

how do you explain that

Nah, I'm not shocked, not even with the case itself. Just disappointed in the reaction in the news media about the unproven theory of video games and violence. Can't wait to hear Jack Thompson's comments on this, because he will. Another big gaming news story this week was the dismissal of Ole' Jackie Boy's case against Mortal Kombat. He'll be on the air soon to say "Told you so".

Thompson is probably going to stay out of this one for the most part. He's appealing right now, or got an extension (cant remember which) on the judgement of weather or not he will still be allowed to practice law.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Since nobody's mentioned it: the headline "Teens charged in drunken bodyslam killing" is actually pretty attention-grabbing, in my opinion.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

how do you explain that

Thompson is probably going to stay out of this one for the most part. He's appealing right now, or got an extension (cant remember which) on the judgement of weather or not he will still be allowed to practice law.

We can only hope, but with an attention hound like that, I wouldn't put money on it.

Gloss Green on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Am I the only person that finds blaming deaths on Mortal Kombat quaint, at this point?

Like, really guys, MK hasn't been a big name since the friggin' N64. Play some Manhunt or Dead Rising or Ninja Gaiden or something and get back to me.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

how do you explain that

I don't see what the problem with drawing that connection is; it seems like a ridiculously strightforward one to make.

They were playing Mortal Kombat, said "wouldn't it be cool if we did this to the kid," and then they killed the girl. Clearly they were retarded/psycho to begin with, but that's not to say that they were not influenced by the game.

Doc on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FATALITY

KANO WINS

I'm glad you got to use that.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    plus, Ultimate Warrior is dead.

No he isn't.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    delphinus wrote: »

SNIPSNIPures.aol.com/data/pictures/11/008/6B/5F/EC/E8/tQYhkYOvqwcm7hmKeCHrR78w-CXz1hVP028A.jpg[/IMG]

Never happen, plus, Ultimate Warrior is dead.

no he isn't.

also I wish I still had one of those. I'd buy one in a second.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    plus, Ultimate Warrior is dead.

No he isn't.

Maybe he was thinking of Junkyard Dog.

Doc on