As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Celebrate with alcohol! (ITT WE BOOZE)

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hachface wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Straining out the vegetable oil looks gross.

So, I recently received a bottle of absinthe as a gift. A $120 bottle.

!!!

It'll probably taste like death, but damn if my back to school party won't have style points.

Oh man. I wonder where you can buy absinthe spoons.

The internet.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

!!!

It'll probably taste like death, but damn if my back to school party won't have style points.
    Dude, it's $120 a bottle absinthe. You don't ruin that with fucking sugar.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »

!!!

....that....that's how you do absinthe.

That's like saying, it's good heroin - you don't need to cook it!

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Podly wrote: »

!!!

No, that's how yuppie, trendy fuckers have decided to "do" absinthe, because if it doesn't taste like an Appletini, it isn't worth drinking. :roll:

Traditionally, the only mixer you use with absinthe is a little ice.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The appeal of absinthe is the traditional process of drinking it.

That, and it made you see fairies.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

!!!

No, that's how yuppie, trendy fuckers have decided to "do" absinthe, because if it doesn't taste like an Appletini, it isn't worth drinking. :roll:

Ice is the only mixer you said so far.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The appeal of absinthe is the traditional process of drinking it.

That, and it made you see fairies.
    Dude, it's wikipedia. If you actually check the source the writer cites, it doesn't say shit about that being the traditional process. He pulled it out of his ass.

Edit: Missed his original citation, which is a fucking blog, which even points out that the way it's traditionally done is with simple cold water.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Green Dragon

1/4 lemon, juiced
    1/2 oz Kummel
    1/2 Creme de Menthe (green)
    1 1/2 oz Dry Gin
    4 dashes of Bitters
    shake well with ice and strain.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ugh, Than, are you gonna send me to the cellar to find the New Yorker article on it? Do you really hate me that much?

Fine, I'll post back later tonight.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ugh, Than, are you gonna send me to the cellar to find the New Yorker article on it? Do you really hate me that much?

Fine, I'll post back later tonight.
    I wouldn't bother, because I'm not enough of a masochist to try to read anything out of that piece of elitist trash.

It's probably just trying to make the fucking pricks who read it feel better about their pussified drinking habits.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I <3 Macallan

Edit: (Scotch)

Edit 2: Got some 18 year Highland Park for my birthday last month, and that was fantastic as well.

Everybody loves The Macallan.

I was drinking 12 year old Highland Park over Christmas, which was really pretty good. Interestingly, the distillery is neither in the highlands, or in a park.

I'm pondering some Cask Strength Laphroaig for Hogmanay.

japan on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    japan wrote: »
    I <3 Macallan

Edit 2: Got some 18 year Highland Park for my birthday last month, and that was fantastic as well.

I was drinking 12 year old Highland Park over Christmas, which was really pretty good. Interestingly, the distillery is neither in the highlands, or in a park.

I have a bottle of (12 year I think) Laphroaig. It was much too peaty for me at the time. I'll go back and try it again once I've tried more. The Highland Park I had was peaty, but not as much as the Laphroaig. I like the peat, but not when it's so overpowering I think...

Anecdote: I took the bottle of Highland Park to a party in Chicago. Everybody said, "Whoa! I didn't know they made Scotch here in the area!"

mrflippy on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I <3 Macallan

I have a bottle of (12 year I think) Laphroaig. It was much too peaty for me at the time. I'll go back and try it again once I've tried more. The Highland Park I had was peaty, but not as much as the Laphroaig. I like the peat, but not when it's so overpowering I think...

Anecdote: I took the bottle of Highland Park to a party in Chicago. Everybody said, "Whoa! I didn't know they made Scotch here in the area!"

LaPhroaig is very peaty by nature. I like it, but it's definitely an acquired taste as I couldn't stand it the first time I tried it. You may want to slowly ramp up to that.

Whoever mentioned Glenfidditch 12 year, that stuff is like water. You can get much better scotch for the same price.

And scotch should be served neat, or maybe with a touch of water. Serving scotch over ice is how you disguise bad scotch.

As for mixed drinks, I used to do sake bombs with some friends at a local sushi bar. Similar to the Irish car bomb, you drop a shot glass of sake into a beer and chug the whole thing. I used to get really hammered doing that.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I always took a glass of water with a scotch. Pour a tiny bit of water into in before every sip and it takes a little of the edge off and actually makes the scotch's taste come out more.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I have had the Jameson.....it taste like whiskey if Jack Daniels is to be made as a base. I sipped it like a true gentleman but it didn't make it any more awesome. Now I think on my next trip to the minimart I'll get some Sailor Jerry and a 3 liter of Coke. It's time to become a true enlisted man! Drunk!

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I always took a glass of water with a scotch. Pour a tiny bit of water into in before every sip and it takes a little of the edge off and actually makes the scotch's taste come out more.

It really depends on your tastes too. Every Scotch that I have, I tasted and tried with and without water. I've found that I generally prefer mine without anything. (Or perhaps I'm just bad at mixing water in)

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    There's really no wrong way to drink anything just whatever works best for you

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

It really depends on your tastes too. Every Scotch that I have, I tasted and tried with and without water. I've found that I generally prefer mine without anything. (Or perhaps I'm just bad at mixing water in)

A lot of people put way, way, too much water in when they try it. As a general rule, you shouldn't be adding more than about 1 part water to 2 parts whisky, and people generally find it better to use less than that.

Interestingly, the Laphroaig Cask Strength I was talking about mentions on the label to use much more water than usual (2:1 water to whisky) because otherwise your palette will be overwhelmed.

japan on
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

A lot of people put way, way, too much water in when they try it. As a general rule, you shouldn't be adding more than about 1 part water to 2 parts whisky, and people generally find it better to use less than that.

Interestingly, the Laphroaig Cask Strength I was talking about mentions on the label to use much more water than usual (2:1 water to whisky) because otherwise your palette will be overwhelmed.

IMHO, 1 part water to 2 parts whiskey is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much water. When I'm drinking something really nice I pour about a finger or two of scotch, and then add one drop of water to bring out the flavours. I do this by dipping my finger into a small cup of water and then flicking some water into the glass. That's all that is needed.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hamju wrote: »

IMHO, 1 part water to 2 parts whiskey is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much water. When I'm drinking something really nice I pour about a finger or two of scotch, and then add one drop of water to bring out the flavours. I do this by dipping my finger into a small cup of water and then flicking some water into the glass. That's all that is needed.
    Yeah, that's how I've usually done it.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Variable wrote: »

Not to mention you're not quoting an unbiased source in the first place. They keep referring how I should treat "their absinthe".

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kiss in the dark

3/4 oz Dry Gin
    3/4 oz Cherry Brandy
    3/4 oz French Vermouth

Stire with ice and srain.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm going to break down at some point and buy a strainer.

And a whole lot of alcohol.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Yes, a traditional method for shitty, cheap absinthe, not for $120-a-bottle absinthe.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Kiss in the dark

3/4 oz Dry Gin
    3/4 oz Cherry Brandy
    3/4 oz French Vermouth

That sounds like a crap martini that you're just trying to mask the flavour of.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Kiss in the dark

3/4 oz Dry Gin
    3/4 oz Cherry Brandy
    3/4 oz French Vermouth

That sounds like a crap martini that you're just trying to mask the flavour of.
    Depends upon what type of vermouth you use, whether it's dry or sweet.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Generally I think anything with that much vermouth is probably going to be rather upsetting.

Then again, I could be biased. My last experience with vermouth was mixing it with coke for some reason. Needless to say, it was foul and I fell down some stone steps while partially in drag.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guys, me and my friends are going on a 4 day camp.

We are going to smoke and drink the entire planet.

I will take pictures and do my best to document any outrageous occurances.
    Provided I remember anything at all and still have a functional brain.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Generally I think anything with that much vermouth is probably going to be rather upsetting.

Then again, I could be biased. My last experience with vermouth was mixing it with coke for some reason. Needless to say, it was foul and I fell down some stone steps while partially in drag.
    It's used straight as an aperitif in Italy, but that's the sweet stuff, not the dry stuff.

They taste very, very different from each other. But yeah, mixing it with coke is a terrible idea.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hamju wrote: »

Agreed, I was using that as a rough upper bound rather than as a suggestion. I'm pretty much a "just a few drops" person myself. The reason I suggested that is because I've come across people who misunderstood "whisky with water" to mean "more water than whisky."

japan on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Right now I am boozed.

I WANT LAYINGS

LAYINGS OF THE PENIS

Otherwise I am okay

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I always find it funny people defend their drinking beleifs about as fervently as their religous ones

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I always find it funny people defend their drinking beleifs about as fervently as their religous ones

I believe that it is our god-given right to be able to mix wine and cheap beer and gin if we want to! It's in the constitution somewhere I think.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I like my martinis as dry as possible. Like Winston Churchill said, "Passing the cork of the vermouth over the glass is usually enough."

Also, martinis should never, ever be shaken. When gin is shaken, it clouds and the martini doesn't look as appetizing.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm just pull most of this from The Home Bartender's Guide 1001 Cocktails In A Shake

For myself:
    1 part Rum
    1 part Amaretto

Tastey and gets you drunk. ;-)

Poop Deck

1 1/4 oz Blackberry Brandy
    1/2 oz Port Wine
    1/2 oz Brandy
    Stir well with ice and strain

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wait, you mean other people think they're different?

Fucking heathens.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like my martinis as dry as possible. Like Winston Churchill said, "Passing the cork of the vermouth over the glass is usually enough."

Also, martinis should never, ever be shaken. When gin is shaken, it clouds and the martini doesn't look as appetizing.

This is one of the most amusing things about alcohol culture, to me, is the way people order their martini. It seems that the vast majority of martini connoisseurs want it dry as bones, and I wonder at what point they don't just ask for a glass of cold gin. You never really see this behavior with other drinks; someone wouldn't ask for a margarita with just a passing of lemon-lime juice, or a white Russian with a hint of milk.

thanimations on