As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Have Never Seen ________.

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
The recent Blade Runner thread inspired me to start a thread of classic, cultish or popular films we have never seen. There are some films that I tell someone that I never saw and they go crazy and say I must see it!! Anyways, here is some I hadn't watched yet, some I may never watch and I state why.

1. The Big Lebowski

2. None of the Ocean's 11, 12 or 13 movies. It has Brad Pitt, I can't stand him and I avoid his films at all cost.

3. Fight Club. Again, Brad Pitt...

4. Ed Wood. If its ever on cable I'll watch it!

LondonBridge on

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never seen The Godfather. Everyone says it's the best movie of all times and stuff, but I never came around to renting and watching it. Mafia flicks aren't my style, so I don't feel any real urge to watch it. Just every once in a while I'll see the DVD on sale or hear people talk, and think "I'll have to watch that someday" and forget about it again.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dude, Brad Pitt's got a lot of great films in his oeuvre, you're missing on a lot. Why can't you stand him anyway? I understand his relationship with Jolie made him one of the most ubiquitous celebrity next to Tom Cruise but guy's a really good actor.

Aleph on
  • Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited December 2007
    2. None of the Ocean's 11, 12 or 13 movies.

That's not a bad thing though. The only one you should worry about is the original. Unless you hate the Rat Pack.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    The recent Blade Runner thread inspired me to start a thread of classic, cultish or popular films we have never seen. There are some films that I tell someone that I never saw and they go crazy and say I must see it!! Anyways, here is some I hadn't watched yet, some I may never watch and I state why.

1. The Big Lebowski

2. None of the Ocean's 11, 12 or 13 movies. It has Brad Pitt, I can't stand him and I avoid his films at all cost.

Why do you hate Brad Pitt so much? He's an able actor that looks good? Just curious as to your rationale. You're tossing the baby out with the bathwater on the Ocean's series as well as Fight Club. Stellar performances all around for Ocean's 11 (wasn't a fan of 12, haven't seen 13 yet). Edward Norton was pretty fucking awesome in Fight Club. I hate the hell out of John Cusack but I don't avoid his films because of that. I generally don't like them but I at least give them a shot.

Lebowski requires the right set of eyes. There is a lot going on under the surface. John Goodman turns in an awesome performance as a Vietnam veteran, as does Philip Seymour Hoffman as a meek yes-man. Fargo it ain't but I think enough time has lapsed that people shouldn't be drawing that comparison anymore.

Satan. on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    I've never seen The Godfather. Everyone says it's the best movie of all times and stuff, but I never came around to renting and watching it. Mafia flicks aren't my style, so I don't feel any real urge to watch it. Just every once in a while I'll see the DVD on sale or hear people talk, and think "I'll have to watch that someday" and forget about it again.

The Godfather is a pretty boring movie, I finally sat down to watch it a year ago and struggled to make it through. There are some good bits and the acting is top notch, but ... it drags.

yakul on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I haven't seen The Big Lebowski or The Godfather.

I saw Back to the Future for the first time three nights ago. I saw Ferris Bueller and The Breakfast Club for the first time two nights ago.

I haven't seen any of the Star Trek movies, or any of the TV shows.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

1. The Big Lebowski

Fight Club is a classic.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've tricked myself so deeply that I KNOW, inside, that I haven't seen any Star Trek movies, or Citizen Kane, or Mad Max, or most of Lost or the new Battlestar Galactica series, but I'm fully capable of pretending that I have, constantly referring to them, etc, like it's my goddamn job.

Damn I'm fucked up.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    skip oceans 12, 13....11 is great

can we expand this to "I finally saw_______and it was_____"?
    if so i finally saw Donnie Darko..man what a pile of shit. IMO

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Richy wrote: »

It's good enough that it is worth seeing once, just because it is so culturally significant. Kinda like Apocalypse Now and, say, Dog Day Afternoon.

I was watching this AFI top 100 films ever! or some shit a couple nights ago. Of course, I was high, so now I can't remember any of the movies I haven't seen.

Ehh... Gone with the Wind? It's a Wonderful Life. Citizen Kane. a lot of stuff like that. Older stuff. I only recently realized that stuff like the orignal Adams Family or even the Marx Brothers were funny.

edit: Ooooohhhh.... I've seen 2 episodes of the old office, and 5 of the new us office that is now pretty much over, or whatever. yeah.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never seen the godfather and I probably never will unless we all sit down and watch it or something. I just don't have an urge to see it.

Ocean's 11 was pretty good, so was fight club. Brad pitt isn't bad in those, I would say get over it. The sequels were a little lame although 13 was better than 12.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It has Brad Pitt, I can't stand him and I avoid his films at all cost.

I assume you've never seen True Romance. Pitt's best role by leaps and bounds, in my humble opinion. Seriously. Check it out if you get a chance.

And Happy New Year to all!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never seen...

...Gone With the Wind...
    ...Casablanca...
    ...Rambo...
    ...Predator 1

Netflix is my savior though.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    From the IMDB top 250, I haven't seen:

3. The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    4. Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (1966)
    9. Casablanca (1942)
    13. 12 Angry Men (1957)
    14. Rear Window (1954)
    15. Goodfellas (1990)
    16. Cidade de Deus (2002)
    18. No Country for Old Men (2007)
    20. C'era una volta il West (1968)
    22. Psycho (1960)
    24. Citizen Kane (1941)
    26. North by Northwest (1959)
    28. Memento (I saw about half of it)
    30. Sunset Blvd. (1950)

And now I'm bored with this, but it looks like I've seen about half of the top 30, and probably a lot less further down on the list. The worst part about it was that I worked in a video store in high school, but never got around to watching a lot of what I should have.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »

9. Casablanca (1942)
    13. 12 Angry Men (1957)
    14. Rear Window (1954)
    15. Goodfellas (1990)
    22. Psycho (1960)
    24. Citizen Kane (1941)
    30. Sunset Blvd. (1950)

And now I'm bored with this, but it looks like I've seen about half of the top 30, and probably a lot less further down on the list. The worst part about it was that I worked in a video store in high school, but never got around to watching a lot of what I should have.

Goodfellas and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly are worth seeing ASAP. Especially Goodfellas.

"Who the fuck cares? I'll dig the fuckin' hole. I don't give a fuck. What is it, the first hole I dug? Not the first time I dug a hole. I'll fuckin' dig a hole. Where are the shovels?"

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Aleph wrote: »
    Dude, Brad Pitt's got a lot of great films in his oeuvre, you're missing on a lot. Why can't you stand him anyway? I understand his relationship with Jolie made him one of the most ubiquitous celebrity next to Tom Cruise but guy's a really good actor.

I used to think Brad Pitt was some male bimbo, but some of his movies really made me change my mind. Snatch (which he specifically asked to be in), Se7en and Twelve Monkeys in particular.

I really want to see The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Echo on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

As long as you avoid Meet Joe Black, Seven Years in Tibet and Babel.

See True Romance or 12 Monkeys for some of his better work.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »

9. Casablanca (1942)
    13. 12 Angry Men (1957)
    14. Rear Window (1954)
    15. Goodfellas (1990)
    22. Psycho (1960)
    24. Citizen Kane (1941)
    30. Sunset Blvd. (1950)

All great movies, though a few are overrated. Go rent Goodfellas and Cidade de Deus asap though.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have never seen a Barbara Streisand movie. I am proud of that.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    All great movies, though a few are overrated. Go rent Goodfellas and Cidade de Deus asap though.

I actually thought City of God was overrated.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never seen blade runner.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I've never seen Blade Runner, any of the Godfather movies, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, American History X... uh...

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There are alot of movies I've never seen. The one that kills me is Alien. I've seen all the rest but never watched the first.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

I have seen Brad Pitt's older films like Seven, True Romance, and Cool World so I guess I could say I like the younger Brad as opposed to the older. It's like he doesn't try as hard and rides on his name alone.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Adrenaline wrote: »

I actually thought City of God was overrated.

I agree. It's a good film, but it's too stylistically flashy to really achieve the emotional weight that it should.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    There are alot of movies I've never seen. The one that kills me is Alien. I've seen all the rest but never watched the first.

That's the best one of the series.

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I saw Godfather for the first time ever last year. It was decent all around, but I've been spoiled by The Sopranos. Also, that Goodfeathers parody of the Godpigeon really hit the nail on the head; I couldn't understand a fucking thing Don Corlieone was saying.

I've yet to see Godfather II and III.

I also haven't seen Blade Runner, but it's on my Netflix to-do list (the latest blu ray release, naturally).

Haven't seen Goodfellas either. Or Apocalypse Now (I rented it from my library, but never got around to watching it).

Finally, I never saw The Seven Samurai, unless you count the Samurai 7 anime adaption (and you bloody well shouldn't).

I also never saw Silence of the Lambs in its entirety. That about completes the list of recommended movies that I'd like to see sometime down the road.

P.S. Never saw the first half of Alien either. Every time it's on, it's at the second half.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've seen four of the movies mentioned throughout this entire thread.

Elendil on
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I have seen Brad Pitt's older films like Seven, True Romance, and Cool World so I guess I could say I like the younger Brad as opposed to the older. It's like he doesn't try as hard and rides on his name alone.

What are you basing this on?

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Big Lebowski is amazing, and still my favorite Coen Brothers film. It just succeeds on so many levels. I love the "adaptive language" that's used in the film. (Goldbricker, coitus, parlance of our times, this aggression will not stand, etc.)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have never seen resevoir dogs.

I just recently saw Swingers, which blew my mind (it was money baby, it was fucking money.)

As a side note, The Godfather has one main message...don't get in with the fucking mafia...

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

That's the best one of the series.

meh, I like Vietnam war movies better than creepy horror flicks. And there are way too many flashing lights in the last ten minutes of it. Totally drove me crazy, I caught in a theater when it had a theatrical showing a while back. Like, I'm ever so slightly Epileptic(I don't have grand mal seizures or anything), or something, anyway it was really unpleasant to watch.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i know this thread is about movies, but I can usually surprise people by mentioning I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    i know this thread is about movies, but I can usually surprise people by mentioning I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld.

You've missed nothing.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

You've missed nothing.

I wouldn't say that, but if you saw one you would have seen them all.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007

You've missed nothing.

I wouldn't say that, but if you saw one you would have seen them all.

Ha ha! You have fallen for my double entendre!

I'd say that you can watch the 'classics', and that's all you need.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Never understood why people loved Seinfeld. The characters are Assholes, the humor is noexistant to anyone with a brain and the plots boring.

I tried to watch Blade Runner several times when I was younger, but always fell asleep halfway through. Then I got a chance to seen the directors cut on dvd and loved it.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ApathyKillsApathyKills __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

As long as you avoid Meet Joe Black, Seven Years in Tibet and Babel.

See True Romance or 12 Monkeys for some of his better work.

dude, babel was excellent. meet joe black wasn't bad either, but I can understand why some would dislike it.

ApathyKills on
    deleted courtesy orikae
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have never seen another man's taint.

I intend to keep it that way.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never seen Blade Runner, any of the Godfather movies, Casablanca, Seven Samurai, American History X... uh...

Most of those are right up your alley, especially BR.

My biggest movie deficit would be war movies. Never seen Apocalypse Now, SPR, Platoon, etc... I think its because the handful of war movies I have seen have all bored me to tears.

yakul on