As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Basic Gaming Laptop: How much GPU?

Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
I'm debating on which new laptop to get with my tax refund. I was originally gonna get a Macbook, but then I remembered that I like playing HL2 and it's Episodes, and I can't afford a Macbook Pro.

Now, I know, "If you're gonna be gaming, get a desktop. Laptops can't compete, can't upgrade, and are more expensive." And I agree. But I don't want a desktop. I've had just my laptop for the past few years and I really enjoy it, plus my small ass apartment doesn't really have room for a desk with a desktop anyway.

Now, the notebook I'm looking at has a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB), 2 gigs or RAM, a 15.4" 1440x900 screen, and Vista Home Premium. Now, I have the choice of sticking with the 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, or spending an extra $100 and getting a 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

Is it worth the upgrade? I'll mainly be playing Ep 2 (or other Source engine stuff) at 1440x900, will I need the extra GPU power?

Inglorious Coyote on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, go for the 8600. The extra VRAM and horsepower will help quite a bit, especially if you're going to play at 1440x900. For reference, the video system of my laptop is roughly analogous 8400, and it does the native 1280x800 at around 30 FPS on low-medium in newer Source games. The farthest I pushed it is a couple of Unreal Engine 3 games, which it can do at low resolutions and tuned-down settings.

The 8600M GT, BTW, is the same solution used by new Macbook Pros.

edit: Take a look at this site, too, for some more comparisons. I can't personally vouch for the accuracy of the benchmarks, but it can give a rough idea of what to expect.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You'll definitely want to go with the 8600. The 8600 is about the lowest-end you can go with the 8000 series while still being a decent gaming card.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm finding myself in the laptop market also, and if it's not overly intrusive, may I ask where you saw said machine?

Or, any good deals on a machine that can primarily run the aforementioned Half Life eps, Civ4 and/or WoW

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I'm finding myself in the laptop market also, and if it's not overly intrusive, may I ask where you saw said machine?
    It's a Dell XPS M1530.

(yeah I know Dell sucks, but I've gotten my last two laptops from them and haven't had any problems.)

Specs are,
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
    Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera
    3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
    Speed: 160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
    Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
    56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

Current price is $1399, but I haven't even started looking for coupon codes to bring it down. (I was able to knock $500 off the price of my last laptop with coupon codes)

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I gotta say, Dell's don't suck when it comes to laptops. I have an Inspiron 1520 with the same loadout as you except with a faster CPU and less RAM. I can max out TF2, HL2, and Portal @ 1680x1050, and play most other new games at around 1400x900. It was a pretty awesome deal.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Go for the most powerful graphics card you can get now, because it's the first thing that goes obsolete and you'll never be able to upgrade it in a laptop.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm also looking for a nice gaming laptop. I know, I know. Desktops are cheaper. But I really do like the idea of being able to take it with me. So. What's hot, and how much can I expect to pay?

Rizzi on