As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Team ICO - The Last Guardian - Out!

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Uncharted, Ratchet, Infamous, GoW, LBP...PS3 has way better exclusives, these days.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I bought a PS3 for Last Guardian, at launch.

I'm going to end up buying a PS4 for Last Guardian aren't I?

If this happens, it will be my fault because I decided that this generation of consoles is the last group I would own for a while. Sony might have heard me and thought "Oh yeah?"

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    Key point is that he's still there working on it, so he obviously hasn't been pushed out of the company for some reason or another. I'm guessing he's burnt out, having been working on Last Guardian for nearly 6 years at this point. Hopefully he does a Jaffe/Dylan Jobe and founds his own studio. I think a smaller team somewhat similar to thatgamecompany would suit him pretty well. Sony would still be the ideal partner at that point too, as I can't see any other publisher giving him the freedom that they have over the years. Most (including Nintendo) would make him work on games they view as more commercial.

Actually, Sony wouldn't be the ideal partner.
    He should do a kickstarter and make his own game, independently. Release it on Steam, then later Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN. And judging by some amazing games on iOS; iOS as well. Graphics and amazing controls are no longer impossible to have on iOS from games in the last year.

Then he rolls around in cash and makes a game on that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Machismo wrote: »
    Key point is that he's still there working on it, so he obviously hasn't been pushed out of the company for some reason or another. I'm guessing he's burnt out, having been working on Last Guardian for nearly 6 years at this point. Hopefully he does a Jaffe/Dylan Jobe and founds his own studio. I think a smaller team somewhat similar to thatgamecompany would suit him pretty well. Sony would still be the ideal partner at that point too, as I can't see any other publisher giving him the freedom that they have over the years. Most (including Nintendo) would make him work on games they view as more commercial.

He should do a kickstarter and make his own game, independently. Release it on Steam, then later Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN. And judging by some amazing games on iOS; iOS as well. Graphics and amazing controls are no longer impossible to have on iOS from games in the last year.

Uh, at the time I wrote that, Kickstarter wasn't a thing. But even so, I'll stick with what I said. Kickstarter may be the trend now but it's really not a reliable way to fund a game. As far as I can tell, there's very little room for failure with those projects. You've got a set amount of funds right from the beginning and there's not really a safety net if you go over budget, encounter development troubles or your game just doesn't sell well when it finally comes out. Publishers just offer a far better safety net for developers, as well as better marketing and other perks (that is, assuming they're not going to be complete dicks like Activision or Bethesda). So no, Sony are easily still the better option.

Also, I dislike that this thread's back because it just reminds me of one of many completely pointless arguments I've had with cloudeagle. Oh joy. But hey, I did eventually find a source for the 1 million+, his own thread, which put US sales alone at 816k. So unless he's going to start calling Dr Mario Kart a liar, I think I'm done.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Uh, at the time I wrote that, Kickstarter wasn't a thing. But even so, I'll stick with what I said. Kickstarter may be the trend now but it's really not a reliable way to fund a game. As far as I can tell, there's very little room for failure with those projects. You've got a set amount of funds right from the beginning and there's not really a safety net if you go over budget, encounter development troubles or your game just doesn't sell well when it finally comes out. Publishers just offer a far better safety net for developers, as well as better marketing and other perks (that is, assuming they're not going to be complete dicks like Activision or Bethesda). So no, Sony are easily still the better option.

Also, I dislike that this thread's back because it just reminds me of one of many completely pointless arguments I've had with cloudeagle. Oh joy. But hey, I did eventually find a source for the 1 million+, his own thread, which put US sales alone at 816k. So unless he's going to start calling Dr Mario Kart a liar, I think I'm done.

Wow, you love me that much to spend what must have been hours to dig that up? I'm touched, I really am. <3 Though apparently you didn't actually think the argument was pointless if you went to that much effort.

By the way, I don't own that thread, I just make the OP so people like Dr. Mario Kart can post cool stuff on it. Though if you checked that thread carefully, you would have noticed that The Scarab made that particular one. :P

And while you proved me wrong, you still haven't learned that sales =/= quality. All the time I was arguing about SotC's sales, I never once said it was a bad game. Hell, I love it. That's the secret to actually reading about the industry without having a rage coronary.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Less bickering more discussing The Last Guardian!

Which we have no new information about.

And haven't since before Christmas....

-tumbleweed-

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »

If this happens, it will be my fault because I decided that this generation of consoles is the last group I would own for a while. Sony might have heard me and thought "Oh yeah?"

My fault too - my late switch to the PS3 and having a bunch of new exclusives available to me has cemented that I really don't care about having a new console any time soon. I started Uncharted 3 last night and after seeing what Naughty Dog was able to achieve graphically I think I'm set for a long time.

I am still amazed at what they did with the Ico/SOTC two pack as well - the only real complaint I have is that kind of wish they could have just added save states to Ico instead of sticking with the mystical couches. It's pushing me to pick up all the other HD remake sets as well... I never played through SOTC on the PS2 due to the camera/framerates so it's a real treat to get to finally play it.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Wow, you love me that much to spend what must have been hours to dig that up? I'm touched, I really am. <3 Though apparently you didn't actually think the argument was pointless if you went to that much effort.

By the way, I don't own that thread, I just make the OP so people like Dr. Mario Kart can post cool stuff on it. Though if you checked that thread carefully, you would have noticed that The Scarab made that particular one. :P

And while you proved me wrong, you still haven't learned that sales =/= quality. All the time I was arguing about SotC's sales, I never once said it was a bad game. Hell, I love it. That's the secret to actually reading about the industry without having a rage coronary.

No, I had the link stored away and found it a couple of months ago when Chrome was on the fritz, so not exactly what I'd consider a big effort. The fact that I never bothered to reply until now should tell you how much I wanted to argue with you.

Uh, what are you talking about? DMK posted it.

And I really don't understand why you're bringing up the quality of the game, seeing as I didn't mention it either. I know you like to completely change the subject to keep arguments going but I'm not going to play your game.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Less bickering more discussing The Last Guardian!

Which we have no new information about.

And haven't since before Christmas....

-tumbleweed-

The Last Guardian Forever

Featuring a colossus covered in nipples you can slap around

• Options
    edited April 2012
    No, I had the link stored away and found it a couple of months ago when Chrome was on the fritz, so not exactly what I'd consider a big effort. The fact that I never bothered to reply until now should tell you how much I wanted to argue with you.

Well, the fact that you kept it stored for all this time, complete with personal attacks, shows how much you apparently care about arguing, despite your claims (and weird use of the third person) otherwise. Why bring this back up at all?
    Uh, what are you talking about? DMK posted it.

I'm talking about the thread itself... Scarab was the OP for that one, not me. Besides, I keep telling you it's not "my" thread.
    And I really don't understand why you're bringing up the quality of the game, seeing as I didn't mention it either.

Well, why did you get so testy when I brought up sales? Why did you get so testy in general when you disagree with people in the Industry thread? I really think you do take low/high sales a little too personally. I think that's the real reason you couldn't handle posting in there.
    I know you like to completely change the subject to keep arguments going but I'm not going to play your game.

You do realize that randomly and falsely accusing me of liking to change the subject is, in fact, a ploy at changing the subject, right?

Honestly Unco, this isn't really the time or place for something like this, since everyone else would rather talk about the game itself. If you'd like to continue to make personal attacks at me, I think it's best that you direct them to me via PM.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Jim Reilly ‏ @jimreilly

Sony: "The Last Guardian continues to be developed, however we have no news to share at this time with regard to the franchise and E3."

Sigh.

• Options
    Boo.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I'm sure that's exactly what they would say if they planned to have a surprise trailer during the conference... hopefully...

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So, what's coming first? Episode 3, Versus or TLG.

But seriously, not even showing up at E3? That's just sad.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man seriously. I bought a ps3 for this. 4 years ago.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Ditto.

It's going to end up making me buy a PS4 too. It's a cunning tactic.

• Options
    The Last Guardian is experiencing "technical difficulties", Sony has confirmed.

Sony Worldwide president Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer that the game was absent from Sony's E3 presentation because the Tokyo team was working hard addressing technical issues.

"The team is back in Tokyo working hard, and there are some technical difficulties that the team is focused on right now. That's why we don't have an update," Yoshida explained.

The Sony boss denied reports that the game would launch on the PS4, though he was reluctant to say whether or not it would ever see the light of day at all.

"When we have confidence in saying that, we will talk about it. But today, we are working through some engineering effort."

The development status of The Last Guardian was called into question following reports that the game's creator Fumito Ueda was leaving Sony.

The game was subsequently delisted by GameStop, leading to subsequent denials that the game had been canceled.

The Last Guardian was first revealed in 2009 but has seen a prolonged development with no sign of release.

It was delayed once again last year when Sony announced that it would not make an appearance at the Tokyo Game Show.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a385544/the-last-guardian-experiencing-technical-difficulties.html

Yarrrrrgh.

• Options
    If it was a PS4 launch title I'd be pissed.

Then run out and buy a PS4

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I've stopped waiting for this game. If it ever turns up, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but for now I've stopped counting it as one of the upcoming games I'm looking forward to.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Why won't Sony just give them the money to get it done? I can't think of any other reason for all the delays aside from resources being stretched thin. It'll sell like hotcakes, unless I'm being overly optimistic. Just get the fucker done.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Why won't Sony just give them the money to get it done? I can't think of any other reason for all the delays aside from resources being stretched thin. It'll sell like hotcakes, unless I'm being overly optimistic. Just get the fucker done.

You're being overly optimistic

• Options

Throwing money at a problem usually doesn't end well.

Sounds like it's just in development hell, which isn't exactly uncommon, especially when they're not just working off an established formula.

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular

Was the Last Guardian really supposed to be a launch title?

I bought a PS3 for Last Guardian, Ni No Kuni and Out Run Online (which I didn't have time to buy before it was removed from the shop)... I have Journey now, but other than that I'm a pretty disappointed PS3 owner. The Wii gets much more play time in my house.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Nah, we didn't find out about it until 2008.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Whatever road block they've hit must be a big one. Really hoping it's technical and not that some vital part of the gameplay turns out to not actually be as fun in reality as it was on paper.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    This is why we don't buy systems for specific games UNTIL THEY ARE OUT.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

ICO and SotC didn't exactly sell like mad am I correct?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

ICO and SotC didn't exactly sell like mad am I correct?

You're correct.

Also, the thread title is misleading.
    The Sony boss denied reports that the game would launch on the PS4, though he was reluctant to say whether or not it would ever see the light of day at all.

I mean, come on, Grinch.

You should start preparing yourself for the very real possibility that you will never get to play The Last Guardian

They also canceled Christmas

And the Easter Bunny is dead

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    What were the sales figures of the HD collection?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

IIRC it sold decently upon launch, but dropped pretty quickly and it was bargain-binned pretty quickly. I remember insane Best Buy and Amazon sales shortly after launch.

It's totally worth it, if you haven't gotten it, by the way

Ico alone remastered was worth $40. The magic of SOTC remains lost on me.

• Options

IIRC it sold decently upon launch, but dropped pretty quickly and it was bargain-binned pretty quickly. I remember insane Best Buy and Amazon sales shortly after launch.

It's totally worth it, if you haven't gotten it, by the way

Ico alone remastered was worth $40. The magic of SOTC remains lost on me.

Then again Sony doesn't really put forth any marketing effort into their HD remakes, and doesn't seem to print them in huge numbers.

• Options
    With its absence at E3, questions have continued to linger about what’s going on with The Last Guardian and if it’s even still in development. But the most recent issue of Game Informer (Issue 232, Page 23) has an interview with Sony Worldwide Studio President Shuhei Yoshida, in which he attempts to put to rest fears about the game.

“There are some technical issues being addressed,” Yoshida told Game Informer. “There’s not much to show what it looks like. At this period of time we are unable to give an update, but the game is still in development.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/20/sony-worldwide-studio-president-the-last-guardian-is-still-in-development

On the one hand, yay that this still exists. On the other, I'm seriously starting to think this thing will show up for the PS4.

• Options
    Um... fuck.
    Bad news for fans of critical hits ICO and SOTC – Sony has left the The Last Guardian trademark to become “dead” and “abandoned”.

PSLS has discovered that over on United States Patent and Trademark Office, the trademark for The Last Guardian is listed as “(ABANDONED)” with the “Live/Dead Indicator” stating that it’s “DEAD”. Trademarkia states “Abandonment Notice! On Monday, August 6, 2012, status on the THE LAST GUARDIAN trademark changed to ABANDONED – NO STATEMENT OF USE FILED.” as well as “Status Update! On Monday, August 6, 2012, status on the THE LAST GUARDIAN trademark changed to ABANDONED – NO STATEMENT OF USE FILED.”

What this means exactly is unclear – the game has gone through development turmoil seeing numerous delays and missing out E3 after E3, as well as suffering staff departures and Ueda becoming a freelancer. But Sony Santa Monica was brought in to try to fix a game-breaking problem and finally get it out this gen and Shuhei Yoshida has repeatedly stated that The Last Guardian is not dead. Whether the trademark being allowed to become dead is a sign that Sony have finally given up on the project or perhaps changed the name is unknown. PSLS has reached out to Sony for a comment and will update if they respond. Update: Sony has told us that they “don’t comment on rumors or speculation”.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/08/09/the-last-guardian-trademark-dead-and-abandoned/

• Options
    To all the people that did:

This is why you don't buy consoles for games that aren't out yet.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    God dammit....

I guess all we can do is hope they've changed the name of the game to something else.

"Cock Tease: The Game" or something...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    At least by buying a ps3 for this game, I ended up getting a shitload of awesome ps3 games. Thanks, Last Guardian!

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Bummer - I'm at least glad we got the Ico/SOTC HD pack - the framerate of SOTC always gave me headaches on the PS2 so I couldn't finish it.

Maybe they changed the name to get better sales like Call of Medal of War: Liberty City or something.

• Options
    There's a small chance they just changed the name. There's a small chance this is just administrative error.

But if it was a name change, someone would have noticed the new trademark. And an error seems unlikely, especially since big corporations are so fiercely protective of their trademarks.

This is becoming big news among the enthusiast press. If Sony doesn't say something reassuring in, say, the next week, then we're in trouble.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    There's a small chance they just changed the name. There's a small chance this is just administrative error.

But if it was a name change, someone would have noticed the new trademark. And an error seems unlikely, especially since big corporations are so fiercely protective of their trademarks.

This is becoming big news among the enthusiast press. If Sony doesn't say something reassuring in, say, the next week, then we're in trouble.

"We don't comment on rumor and speculation..."

:rotate:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Um... fuck.
    Bad news for fans of critical hits ICO and SOTC – Sony has left the The Last Guardian trademark to become “dead” and “abandoned”.

PSLS has discovered that over on United States Patent and Trademark Office, the trademark for The Last Guardian is listed as “(ABANDONED)” with the “Live/Dead Indicator” stating that it’s “DEAD”. Trademarkia states “Abandonment Notice! On Monday, August 6, 2012, status on the THE LAST GUARDIAN trademark changed to ABANDONED – NO STATEMENT OF USE FILED.” as well as “Status Update! On Monday, August 6, 2012, status on the THE LAST GUARDIAN trademark changed to ABANDONED – NO STATEMENT OF USE FILED.”

What this means exactly is unclear – the game has gone through development turmoil seeing numerous delays and missing out E3 after E3, as well as suffering staff departures and Ueda becoming a freelancer. But Sony Santa Monica was brought in to try to fix a game-breaking problem and finally get it out this gen and Shuhei Yoshida has repeatedly stated that The Last Guardian is not dead. Whether the trademark being allowed to become dead is a sign that Sony have finally given up on the project or perhaps changed the name is unknown. PSLS has reached out to Sony for a comment and will update if they respond. Update: Sony has told us that they “don’t comment on rumors or speculation”.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/08/09/the-last-guardian-trademark-dead-and-abandoned/

You beat me to it :'(