As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncorrectable Sector count = 3

victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, it seems that my hard drive has 3 uncorrectable sectors and using CHKDSK with write correcting didn't seem to get rid of them.

Could this be something that might came back and bite me in the ass later on? Should I get another drive? Is it nothing to get worried about? Am I just paranoid? Heh.

So far. SMART says the drive is fine and so does CHKDSK. It's also been operating just fine. It's just the 3 uncorrectable sectors that are detected by SMART that are taunting me.

It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
victor_c26 on

• Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wouldn't worry. My boot drive has 4KB of unreadable sectors according to chkdsk, and I've never had a problem. 3 sectors is about 1.5KB if you're using 512 byte sectors.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Well, it seems that my hard drive has 3 uncorrectable sectors and using CHKDSK with write correcting didn't seem to get rid of them.

Could this be something that might came back and bite me in the ass later on? Should I get another drive? Is it nothing to get worried about? Am I just paranoid? Heh.

So far. SMART says the drive is fine and so does CHKDSK. It's also been operating just fine. It's just the 3 uncorrectable sectors that are detected by SMART that are taunting me.

Hard drives basically come with extra hidden sectors since it's expected that some will fail and need replacements. You may have exceeded the number of sectors available to replace bad ones. It doesn't mean your drive is on its last legs, but I'd be ready just in case (ie, backup stuff).

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Is it bad if this drive isn't old?

It's only 4 to 5 months old.

I bought it in late August to replace my obviously dying 80Gig hard drive that was making the system chug while Vista was throwing "Hard Drive Failure Imminent! BACK UP NOW!" warnings.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Is it bad if this drive isn't old?

I don't think there's ever a time where hardware failure is considered not bad.

The good news is that if it's that new, it should be under warranty if a SMART test comes up bad or something else happens.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Damn. Well it's not that though. It's the fact that I might have to reinstall everything all over again, for the 3rd time since August.

EDIT: This is what SMART (through Speedfan) shows me:
    smarthd.PNG

victor_c26 on