As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"No More Heroes" Out now! - "If I become #1, will you do it with me?"

• ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    I actually liked the number one fight because
    it had a more serious vibe that was absent from a lot of the rest of the game...plus it was cool to see just how good Jeane was, compared to yourself. Even darkstepping wouldn't work against her. Not to mention how goddamn good you have to be to fight a swordsman with just your body. And the feeling of dread that goes through you when you lose that last blow and she punches you...oh man.

It was appropriate for a last boss fight.

Eh...
    She was waaaay to easy though. After the first time I grabbed her I thought, "Hrm, maybe I shouldn't grab her anymore..." So every time I stunned her I just opened up a new combo on her, which lead to another stun, which lead to another combo, etc. I really thought Henry was the better fight of the two.
    I agree that Henry's fight was far more fun, but it was also way easier. His strong attacks are ridiculously easy to avoid, if you just keep your distance, and darkstepping him is a total cinch.

Then again, I haven't faced him on Bitter yet.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I have unlocked the Rank 1 fight and tried it a few times. I kept having to recharge, so I quit and returned to Santa Destroy. I am going to earn enough LB$ to buy the
    infinite energy crystal.

At this point in the game, should Travis's strength be maxed out? I still have one slot left. Please just say yes or no, this is my first play through.

DouglasDanger on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zampano wrote: »
    As7 wrote: »
    I actually liked the number one fight because
    it had a more serious vibe that was absent from a lot of the rest of the game...plus it was cool to see just how good Jeane was, compared to yourself. Even darkstepping wouldn't work against her. Not to mention how goddamn good you have to be to fight a swordsman with just your body. And the feeling of dread that goes through you when you lose that last blow and she punches you...oh man.

It was appropriate for a last boss fight.

Eh...
    She was waaaay to easy though. After the first time I grabbed her I thought, "Hrm, maybe I shouldn't grab her anymore..." So every time I stunned her I just opened up a new combo on her, which lead to another stun, which lead to another combo, etc. I really thought Henry was the better fight of the two.
    I agree that Henry's fight was far more fun, but it was also way easier. His strong attacks are ridiculously easy to avoid, if you just keep your distance, and darkstepping him is a total cinch.

Then again, I haven't faced him on Bitter yet.
    Henry on bitter is a BITCH to fight.

Edit: At DD: No, I never got my strength to completely fill that bar.

Unearthly Stew on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mk.III upgrade
    The infinite energy crystal is so, so worth it. Especially for new game+.

bruin on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hate you all. I really shouldn't have, but today I bought this game. I was out shopping for new guitar strings, a new harmonica, etc, and ended up spending 100 bucks that I don't really have... :(

$87 bank account balance for the win...

This had better be worth it!

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, NPD data is coming out -

Rumor has it that this game, despite being counted for only 2 weeks of January, may actually break 100,000 copies in sales!

That's great!

My optimistic estimation was that it would hopefully break 100,000 for all of January! Woo!

(see, Ubi, you jackasses? With virtually no marketing at all, this game is doing pretty well. If you had marketed the damn thing, who knows how many copies you could have sold?)

slash000 on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, that'd be awesome. It would also (hopefully) secure us a sequel. Maybe next time Ubisoft will actually promote the thing.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Man, that'd be awesome. It would also (hopefully) secure us a sequel. Maybe next time Ubisoft will stay far far away from it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited February 2008
    Man, that'd be awesome. It would also (hopefully) secure us a sequel. Maybe next time Ubisoft will stay far far away from it.

Who else would be willing to publish a Grasshopper game over here, though?

Capcom's not going to do it (not after Killer7). Marvelous is too small to even market as little as Ubi did. Atlus is too small to market it. Nintendo probably wouldn't do it. most of the western publishers, besides Ubi, tend to stay away from this sort of thing.

I hate that Ubi didn't market this thing more, but at least they had the brains to pay the license to publish over here. I just wish they had scraped a little off the top of their excessive and glutinous Assassin's Creed Marketing Fund to pay a little more for this.

slash000 on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NMH wasn't completely ignored in the press, though. I seem to recall it getting cover stories and such in Nintendo Power last year.

Anyway, yeah, that's great news.

AnakinOU on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But if the heroes are already no more, what will the sequel be called? Heroes: Resurrection?

Cervetus on
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Who else would be willing to publish a Grasshopper game over here, though?

Capcom's not going to do it (not after Killer7). Marvelous is too small to even market as little as Ubi did. Atlus is too small to market it. Nintendo probably wouldn't do it. most of the western publishers, besides Ubi, tend to stay away from this sort of thing.

I hate that Ubi didn't market this thing more, but at least they had the brains to pay the license to publish over here. I just wish they had scraped a little off the top of their excessive and glutinous Assassin's Creed Marketing Fund to pay a little more for this.

The rumor is that it wasn't a money issue, actually. Supposedly Ubisoft thought Suda would be okay with releasing the ash version in the United States, which he wasn't, especially after Europe cowed to the pressure and decided to release the censored version. Ubisoft was scared they had another Manhunt 2 on their hands, so they decided to release it as quietly as possible.

Or so the story goes.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited February 2008
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    NMH wasn't completely ignored in the press, though. I seem to recall it getting cover stories and such in Nintendo Power last year.

Anyway, yeah, that's great news.

Well, it may have had media coverage, but that's a far cry from Ubi going out and doing some legwork to market the thing.

But I think most media coverage of No More Heroes has been incidental rather than purposeful on Ubi's part.

Which is nice, and certainly helps, and good for those media outlets. But Ubi could have done more proactively to get this game more sales. And I think that there's a much larger market there for a game like this that they could have marketed towards more effectively and made a lot more money off of larger game sales.

But... like I've said before, I don't think Ubi has a very large stake in this game. I think they bought the license to publish it in the west for some small sum, planned on selling a few copies for a small profit, and budgeted Marketing accordingly.

It's not their own in-house game after all.

But I still think that they could have had a sales blockbuster on their hands if they had done more with this.

Why?

Because people want a good Wii lightsaber game. This game delivers.

slash000 on
    edited February 2008
    Imran wrote: »

The rumor is that it wasn't a money issue, actually. Supposedly Ubisoft thought Suda would be okay with releasing the ash version in the United States, which he wasn't, especially after Europe cowed to the pressure and decided to release the censored version. Ubisoft was scared they had another Manhunt 2 on their hands, so they decided to release it as quietly as possible.

Or so the story goes.

That's an interesting rumor..

The thing about NMH is that, while it's bloody, it's not realistic at all. It's cel shaded. As gory and violent as it may be, I'd be more afraid of media outcry over Assassin's Creed than this.

slash000 on
  • bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »
    But if the heroes are already no more, what will the sequel be called? Heroes: Resurrection?

STILL No More Heroes

bruceski on
    WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
    edited February 2008
    I really want this to sell well.

DouglasDanger on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruceski wrote: »

STILL No More Heroes
    No More Heroes Forever

Clearly.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If there is a sequel, and Ubisoft is publishing it again, I'm ordering it from the States. Because I know they'd forget the french manual again and we'd be stuck with another delay.

elevature on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Htown wrote: »
    bruceski wrote: »

STILL No More Heroes
    No More Heroes Forever

Clearly.
    Travis Touchdown '09 SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION WITH SCHPELTIGER KEYCHAIN AND ART BOOK

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2008

By Grasshopper's track record, this game is already selling very well (assuming the NPD rumor that it's between 100k and 130k sales is true).

LTD sales for Killer7 were these:

PS2 KILLER 7: 6,247
    GCN KILLER 7: 16,350

For the USA. A little better in japan, but nothing broke 100,000.

slash000 on
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OK I Guess There Were Some Heroes

I would adore a sequel if only to give this game a little bit of polish.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
    edited February 2008

By Grasshopper's track record, this game is already selling very well (assuming the NPD rumor that it's between 100k and 130k sales is true).

Damn. I need to find and buy that.

DouglasDanger on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Damn. I need to find and buy that.

Killer 7? It's not hard at all to find. There's so many unsold copies of that game that you could probably find it behind a box of Swiss Rolls at your local grocery store. It would also be cheaper than the box of Swiss Rolls.

Gilder on
  • rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't laugh, but how do I hit baseballs?

rabblerouser on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

That would make it a better seller than Crysis.

Or UT3.

Crazy.

Fugitive on
    edited February 2008
    Don't laugh, but how do I hit baseballs?
    No worries, I'd be surprised if everyone didn't have at least a little trouble with those parts.

I found that the best way to do it was to make sure my initial stance had the remote in a vertical position, instead of behind my shoulder like you would hold a real bat. If I held it by my head straight up in the air, it seemed more responsive. The swing itself was more of a "chop" than a full out swing. You kind of have to swing it slightly before you think you're supposed to as well - if you swing it where it looks like you should, the swing will probably register too late.

It's definitely not as intuitive as something like Wii Sports baseball, but once you get the hang of how it works it's not too bad.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    edited February 2008
    Maybe I just suck... but I think I need some help. Sometimes the bike powerslides in the opposite direction I want it to even though I made sure I did the right direction. Is there some trick that I'm missing?

Also, maybe I'm the oddball but I find myself not really minding the overworld too much. Granted I've only just beat Rank 9. I just wish you could actually bump into people when you were walking around, and that cars could be crashed/crunched (so that if you hit one with the bike it wouldn't be an automatic wipe out).

And I dislike the fact that when you pick up a shirt it switches to it. Is there an option for that or something? I like to pick my own clothes than you very much. :(

Mblackwell on

edited February 2008
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Maybe I just suck... but I think I need some help. Sometimes the bike powerslides in the opposite direction I want it to even though I made sure I did the right direction. Is there some trick that I'm missing?
    Try jerking the remote instead of tilting it, if you aren't already doing so. If you want to powerslide into a left turn, hold B and jerk the remote to the right, and vice versa. I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ...and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.
    Heh.

That sentence amuses me to no end.

... jerking it. Heh.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    NMH sold for 65k in January's NPD.
    Got the data from GAF.

Since NMH was released on January 22, it was tracked for 12 days of sales which puts it at 65k in US.

I'd say this is very good considering his last game that had this type of style performed abysmally (K7).

If it can sell 65K in 2 weeks with nil advertising, I think the game will easily reach 100k+ sell-through in US alone.

Right now, Marvelous reported that they have 160k order from retailers in EU.
    Given the game's sell-through in US and the scarcity of the games in some areas, I believe Wii EU gamers are going to have a hard time as well looking for the game unless they preordered.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited February 2008
    Hah, yes. I noticed that when I typed it, but I figured... for a game like this, it seems strangely appropriate.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And I dislike the fact that when you pick up a shirt it switches to it. Is there an option for that or something? I like to pick my own clothes than you very much. :(

Yeah! This has been bugging me.

Also, should I really bother hunting out balls and shirts early in the game or will I get sensors later on? I just got the dig-spot sensor. For that matter, does anything juicy hide out in the dig spots or is it just cash?

Mashalot on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mashalot wrote: »

Also, should I really bother hunting out balls and shirts early in the game or will I get sensors later on? I just got the dig-spot sensor. For that matter, does anything juicy hide out in the dig spots or is it just cash?

You can get cards in dig spots. You don't get sensors for dumpsters ever, but Lovikov balls should be on your map from the beginning.

bruin on
    edited February 2008
    I haven't seen them on my map, although I have gotten a few already.

Also, I find myself not very good at figuring out exactly when to use high and low attacks, and I'm finding charge attacks to be nearly impossible to execute (usually get hit before I get any kind of charge). I'm having a rough time killing more than one person at a time. Maybe that's just a consequence of being low level still?

Mblackwell on

• Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't do a charge attack unless you have some distance between you and your opponent. This is something that is easily abused in free fights. In the free fight in the car parking lot since you are surrounded, you should and can safely charge a low attack by separating yourself and your enemies by hiding behind a car. Try hitting your opponent with a few hits and then release an unfully charged low attack for close combat. To kill loads of people you're gonna want to rely on bringing up that "death slash arrow". You shouldn't have much trouble killing multiple "normal" baddies. I'd highly recommend you find 7 lokilov balls and buy the dark moon attack.

It should be noted that there is a counterattack that unleashes a fully charged low attack minus the charge that you can perform. I've rarely pulled this off and as such, I am not fully aware on how it happens. I think you block and then press A just as you sheild an attack.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fugitive wrote: »

That would make it a better seller than Crysis.

Or UT3.

Crazy.
    Crysis has sold a lot of copies worldwide.
    Most of them, however, were not in the US.

Xagarath on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, I find myself not very good at figuring out exactly when to use high and low attacks, and I'm finding charge attacks to be nearly impossible to execute (usually get hit before I get any kind of charge). I'm having a rough time killing more than one person at a time. Maybe that's just a consequence of being low level still?

High vs. Low just depends on watching how the opponent is holding the weapon. Or listening to the sound of a block. Once you hear that, just switch your stance and continue with your combo.

For charge attacks, you should know that while charging or holding a low charge attack, you can move around slowly. There are a few occasions where I've charged one and inched towards an enemy. As a whole though, they use up too much battery power to be used often without specific upgrades on some of the later swords.
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

This is so sigged.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited February 2008
    I don't think I've had a game challenge my old-school brawler skills in so long. They're so rusty I feel like a gimp playing NMH.

Mblackwell on

• CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    Mashalot wrote: »

You can get cards in dig spots. You don't get sensors for dumpsters ever, but Lovikov balls should be on your map from the beginning.

No, Lovikov balls only appear on the map after you're rank 8 and you go to the bar.

Cervetus on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I had a couple of friends over, and I let them each try out the tutorial level... And each loved the game to death. One couldn't stop laughing at how Travis acts when he's recharging his battery.

Oh and the *whistle* he does when he picks up a coconut, and the "It's easy!" when he drops them off. We were all having a good time.

urahonky on
This discussion has been closed.