As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some PSP games.

altmannaltmann Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I just got a PSP that I wasn't expecting at all. Kinda a nice surprise but at the same time, I have no idea of the "great" games for this system.

I have hotshots golf which I really like, and I have puzzle quest which is super fun, but I only know about those because those are the 2 games I've ever played :(

Are there "staple" games? Like, the "goldeneye" status games for this system that are just rad and I should try? I look through EBgames.com and it's like a crapshoot. Most look like horrible PSPified versions of console games and I have no idea what to go for. I don't have a preference, just that it's a quality game.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
altmann on

• Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
    Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
    Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Final Fantasy Tactics

Xaquin on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    Killzone: Liberation
    God of War: Chains of Olympus(when it's out)
    Patapon(when it's out)
    Loco Roco

Khavall on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gradius Collection
    Street Fighter Alpha 3

shyguy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So let me get this straight: the GTA games are NOT just crappy portable re-hashes of the console ones? They are that good?

Also: I've never really played any FF games, would I be lost playing FF:tactics? I hear it's pretty good.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
    Strat TBS/RPG. Awesome humor, voice acting, insane replay value
    FFT
    Strat TBS/RPG. Completely re-done translation that is spectacular, some voice acting and cutscenes.
    Jeanne D'Arc
    Strat TBS/RPG. Done during the Hundred years war, only if the english were demons and eat babies. Fun game, not much customization but a good story.
    BRAVE STORY
    RPG. It was the first original good RPG for the PSP. Pretty deep, not too difficult, and it has giant enemy crabs that you need to hit it's weakpoint for massive damage.
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2
    3rd person action/adventure game. Freaking fantastic game. Very reliant on twitch like reflexes, extremely difficult if you don't know what you are doing.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and GTA Liberty City Stories have pretty much always occupied my PSP. Very good games.

Edit: The GTA games are basically the same game as the console versions, but with different characters and stories/missions. No real new gameplay elements though.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    altmann wrote: »
    So let me get this straight: the GTA games are NOT just crappy portable re-hashes of the console ones? They are that good?

Also: I've never really played any FF games, would I be lost playing FF:tactics? I hear it's pretty good.

FFT is not critically connected with any other FF games. There's extras available, but nothing really important to the story.

I found the GTA games kinda weak compared to the console versions, but alot of people really enjoyed them. Your mileage may vary.

Varega on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

The PSP GTA games are seperate games, and quite good. (The PS2 versions were ported from the PSP, not the other way around.)

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I'm not really a GTA fan, but the impression I get is that they're kind of GTA 3.5s -- not a rehash, but kind of an expansion of the city. They're not going to change your mind if you don't like the originals.

And the nice part about FF games is that they're almost entirely disjointed from each other; you don't need any prior knowledge. Final Fantasy Tactics is arguably the finest strategy RPG ever made, and it's got sexy new cutscenes to boot -- definitely one of the PSP's finest games.

My other favorites are Lumines 1 and 2, Wipeout Pure, DJ Max Portable 2 (an import rhythm game akin to Beatmania) and Jeanne D'Arc. The Ratchet & Clank game is a very faithful adaptation of the series to PSP, and if you like the genres Killzone Liberation and the Syphon Filter games are excellent. And if you like quirky, keep your eyes on Patapon, the $20 Loco Roco–meets–rhythm game–meets–side-scrolling RTS.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I asked the same question and was told the PSP games suck. I'd skip them.

FFT is that good but it starts out hard as hell.

Other then that, Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is all you need unless you want to wait for the sequal that's coming. Monster Hunter Freedom G 2 or some such. May be a while tho.

Also, Loco Roco and Patapon.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So is Final Fantasy Tactics war of the lions the one you're all talking about? That's the only one I see on amazon.

I think I'll check out FFT and Metal Gear portable ops. I've never been a fan of the GTA stuff so i'm probably better off not going that route. I like RPGs though, so FFT seems like the one to get.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think it depends on whether or not you will actually use this as a portable device. I don't really do any portable gaming, so I don't bother with games that are just portable versions of games that are better on a console.

Yes, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories were ported from the PSP to the PS2, but if you're just going to be playing around your house, you may as well play the PS2 versions instead (or, not bother with them at all, since they're not as good as GTA3, VC, or SA).

I don't know how the PSP version of FF Tactics compares to the PS1 version, but if they're pretty much the same, the PS1 version is significantly cheaper.

Though there are some good games that are pretty much exclusive to the PSP. MGS: Portable Ops and Killzone: Liberation are very different from their console counterparts. Loco Roco is fun. Patapon looks pretty damn cool. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is the only stateside release of Rondo Of Blood.

Of course, if you actually plan on taking your PSP out of the house, and want to play the same games on the go as you can at home, then ignore my advice.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So is Final Fantasy Tactics war of the lions the one you're all talking about? That's the only one I see on amazon.

I think I'll check out FFT and Metal Gear portable ops. I've never been a fan of the GTA stuff so i'm probably better off not going that route. I like RPGs though, so FFT seems like the one to get.

MG:PO is alot of fun if you like Metal gear. FFT is a strategy RPG. Like grid based movement. It's not like Breath of Fire or Dragon Quest.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I have no consoles at all, only PC gaming. Hence the thread as I know nothing about this genre. Heading to gamestop over lunch, will report back.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    I don't know how the PSP version of FF Tactics compares to the PS1 version, but if they're pretty much the same, the PS1 version is significantly cheaper.

The PS1 version is probably cheaper if you find a Greatest Hits, but the PSP version has extra content, a few new characters, some new jobs, local multiplayer modes, but biggest of all a brand spanking-new translation and gorgeous hand-drawn cutscenes. The original translation was so terrible that I can't in good conscience recommend it when this beautiful new version is available.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Re GTA on PSP: The games themselves are fine. What they suffer from is a lack of a second analog stick and that extra pair of shoulder buttons. The controls are implemented to work around that, but they can be troublesome at times. They're certainly good games, though, and if you're a GTA fan they're worth getting.

N'thing FFT, Disgaea, Jeanne d'Arc, MGS: PO, R&C:SM, and Syphon Filter. All of these games are fucking awesome, and Syphon Filter actually controls in such a manner that you don't spend the whole game wishing you had another stick for the camera.

The Socom games are also pretty good, especially if you're interested in online play, they support voice chat and everything.

I just spent basically all of last week playing Sid Meier's Pirates! and it's fucking awesome. It's a port of a 20-year-old PC game, and while the graphics aren't the best in the world and some parts leave a bit to be desired, overall the game delivers that amazingly deep experience that all of SM's games do. Since you can get it for like $15 used I really don't think you have an excuse not to.

Oh and if you've never played them, the remakes of the original Final Fantasy games are fun as well.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    We have one of these threads per week it seems.

I'd like to toss in Lumines cause its a great time waster, one that you can pick up and drop off at anytime.

PSP (as shown above) rules for SRPGs as well.

Is Monster Hunter that good then? I've heard people on the forums rave about it, but when I asked my "sony guy" he said that its too deep in Japanese culture.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    OH!

Beats.

You will thank me.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Bill NyeBill Nye Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shame on you people,

Me and My Katamari, and import Initial D : Street Stage.

Bill Nye on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Is Monster Hunter that good then? I've heard people on the forums rave about it, but when I asked my "sony guy" he said that its too deep in Japanese culture.

Think Diablo in fur skins, only without online play. (Though you can do roundabout methods to play it online.) It's nice if you're looking for a dungeon crawler, but it got repetitive really fast for me. It only really resonates with its diehard hardcore fanbase.

Lunker on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tomb Raider ANniversary is well flippin good. I picked it up a few days ago and I'm completely hooked. Burnout Dominator is a must have too.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Think Diablo in fur skins, only without online play. (Though you can do roundabout methods to play it online.) It's nice if you're looking for a dungeon crawler, but it got repetitive really fast for me. It only really resonates with its diehard hardcore fanbase.

It's the best game on the PSP, your Sony guy is a twat and we're feeding Lunker to a large dinosaur, possibly a dragon.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My favorite game on the PSP is Killzone: Liberation. It is fucking awesome. I also have been enjoying disgaea and powerstone quite a bit.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i dont own a psp right, but i kind of want to get one and buy these games:

gradius collection
    castlevania dracula x
    disgaea
    final fantasy tactics
    ultimate ghosts n goblins
    exit
    loco roco
    ratchet and clank size matters

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Both Syphon Filter games.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    oh and warhammer 40k squad command

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DerigorDerigor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Monster Hunter
    Monster Hunter 2
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Killzone Liberation.

and Monster hunter.
    did I mention Monster hunter??

Derigor on
    PSN: Derigor
    A hulk's power is jumping.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mega Man: Powered Up!
    Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X
    Silent Hill 0rigins

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is as Lunker describes, only you don't go around a dungeon slaying shit for loot, you go around 8 different themed areas hunting some large toothy monster that won't think twice about biting your ass. Hard.

You have a selection of weapons to choose from, and each have their nuances and playstyles to differentiate, although I recommend Long Sword to all newcomers to the game.

Just grab some videos off youtube to see if the game's to your liking. I strongly recommend trying online play, but that requires some additional investment of either time or money, since you'll be fooling about with some hardware and wifi drivers to get the PSP to play local games online (the upside of this is that you can then play any local wireless game, provided there are people to play with. Last I checked MHF2 is the most (and usually the only) populated of the games listed).

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know what's actually a really fun game for the PSP? Lego Star Wars.

Yep.

Lego Star Wars on the go.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    NekroNekro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is as Lunker describes, only you don't go around a dungeon slaying shit for loot, you go around 8 different themed areas hunting some large toothy monster that won't think twice about biting your ass. Hard.

You have a selection of weapons to choose from, and each have their nuances and playstyles to differentiate, although I recommend Long Sword to all newcomers to the game.

Just grab some videos off youtube to see if the game's to your liking. I strongly recommend trying online play, but that requires some additional investment of either time or money, since you'll be fooling about with some hardware and wifi drivers to get the PSP to play local games online (the upside of this is that you can then play any local wireless game, provided there are people to play with. Last I checked MHF2 is the most (and usually the only) populated of the games listed).

Are you dicks happy now? I hadn't even given Monster Hunter Freedom a second glance and now I'm going to fucking buy it.

When I have no money.

Thanks.

Edit: Is it totally impossible to find at like Best Buy? I don't really want to have to order it.

Nekro on
    gantclap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I heard MHF2 eventually gets nigh impossible to play without the help of buddies joining you. Is this true? If not, then it is indeed a purchase for me as well.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I heard MHF2 eventually gets nigh impossible to play without the help of buddies joining you. Is this true? If not, then it is indeed a purchase for me as well.

D: None of my friends have PSP's!

This would be a deal breaker for me as well. Someone debunk this atrocity so I can get back to slavering over the beautiful screens.

Nekro on
    gantclap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Nekro wrote: »

D: None of my friends have PSP's!

This would be a deal breaker for me as well. Someone debunk this atrocity so I can get back to slavering over the beautiful screens.

It's not impossible, it just takes good equipment and strategy. I have a few friends who can solo the last dragon in the game. It took them a while to grind for the equipment, but that's really END endgame. You should be able to handle everything up to the last 3ish dragons until the end no problem. It's a game dealing primarily with strategy before a fight, and preparing for the unexpected.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hmm, I like grinding when it's fun....I'm off to YouTube!!

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The monster health and attack power gets adjusted for single player mode. For example that son of a bitch Crimson Fatalis can one shot me in multiplayer with his cheap meteor rainstorm, while it just takes me down to 10 hp in singleplayer. I must admit I have shit for Gunner armor, but still.

You will rely on analyzing and remembering each monster's attack pattern, more than charging blindly into the fray and letting numbers determine your chances of survival. Even with the best defense armor can give you'll last 2-3 hits max (on the challenging enemies, of course). It shows itself as a Capcom game, borrowing elements from fighting games such as invincibility frames in the evasive moves that you will be using frequently.

I will say the combat is not too deep, it's like a slightly more complex Phantasy Star Online/Universe, but with the wide selection of weapon types (about 9 in total?) it'll keep the combat fresh for a long while. No weapon is useless against any monster, but you'll find it easier to use one particular type against enemies with different characteristics (sword & shield is good against monsters who like to leap about for example).

You can even try using traps to fight your prey, laying down poisoned meat, sedating the monster with sleep bowgun bolts (or even sleep herb meat!) before detonating some barrel bombs if you're into that sort of thing.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    wide selection of weapon types (about 9 in total?) it'll keep the combat fresh for a long while. No weapon is useless against any monster, but you'll find it easier to use one particular type against enemies with different characteristics (sword & shield is good against monsters who like to leap about for example).

You can even try using traps to fight your prey, laying down poisoned meat, sedating the monster with sleep bowgun bolts (or even sleep herb meat!) before detonating some barrel bombs if you're into that sort of thing.

Sleep does like 1.5x times damage on next hit, which helps out TREMENDOUSLY for traps. You can also trap monsters in the ground using a pitfall trap and hitting him in the head.

Every weapon type is valuable for different playstyles, though some are easier to use than others. It really is a fun game, tough and rewarding once you get the hang of killing monsters and carving for loot.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I went to my local mallular gamestop and I was like "do you have FFT and MGS:PO used for PSP?" and he was like YEAH! and then he checked and was like "damn, I guess we sold the ones I thought we had".

DAMN.

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The monster health and attack power gets adjusted for single player mode. For example that son of a bitch Crimson Fatalis can one shot me in multiplayer with his cheap meteor rainstorm, while it just takes me down to 10 hp in singleplayer. I must admit I have shit for Gunner armor, but still.

You will rely on analyzing and remembering each monster's attack pattern, more than charging blindly into the fray and letting numbers determine your chances of survival. Even with the best defense armor can give you'll last 2-3 hits max (on the challenging enemies, of course). It shows itself as a Capcom game, borrowing elements from fighting games such as invincibility frames in the evasive moves that you will be using frequently.

I will say the combat is not too deep, it's like a slightly more complex Phantasy Star Online/Universe, but with the wide selection of weapon types (about 9 in total?) it'll keep the combat fresh for a long while. No weapon is useless against any monster, but you'll find it easier to use one particular type against enemies with different characteristics (sword & shield is good against monsters who like to leap about for example).

Sounds fantastic. Resold.

Nekro on
    gantclap.gif