As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OOC: The Sundering. Deadline Friday.

ValkunValkun Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Critical Failures
As you open your eyes, your entire body shivers with the intense cold. The world, small at it is, is tinted blue, lumpy, the pungent odor of chemicals stings at your nose. Looking down, you wipe away at your arm revealing the exposed skin beneath. An emergency stasis cell, the memory of your tour through the station suddenly comes to mind. What are you doing here? Trying to think back about the series of steps leading to your present fate prove fruitless. After falling asleep the night before, you remember nothing. Outside, the muffled echoes of voices can be heard penetrating through the frosted glass. The intense chill overrides any sense of shame you'd have of appearing naked before complete strangers and with a generous shove the door swings open with a pop.

Warm air rushes into the pod, carrying with it the delicate scent of fresh grass. Have you ever even smelt such a thing or was it merely a memory from one of those BTL chips? Glass and fragments of metal are scattered about the floor, hungering for your exposed flesh. Dozens of tubes like the one you just stepped out of line the walls to your right, some are already open, others have been punctured by flying shrapnel. The droplets of blood running down a length of pipe indicate the time frame for this sudden disturbance of your restful sleep. To the left is a mangled and crumpled mess of dull metal and you try to put out of mind the hundreds of pods that would normally be visible there. Light streams inside from an open doorway past the remaining cryo units.

Grabbing your clothes from the storage unit under your bed, you make your best effort to clean up before heading outside. Several people are there, looking up at the dull grey overcast sky that seems to stretch infinitely in every direction. Hip high grass grows outside, albeit a long furrow of overturned dirt extends from the door like a road. A feral roar echoes through the hills unlike anything you've heard before, chilling your bones despite the warm air now rushing over your skin.

Welcome back to Earth, chummer.

Shadowrun: The Sundering is a PBP game for at most 10 players. It has a post apocalyptic theme set in the Shadowrun universe that we all know and love. I'm still unsure of how to handle combat, I may just take artistic license when it comes to conflict.

Essentially, all of the players were residing on the newly built Ares Daedlus Orbital Arcology before the start of the game, either legally or illegally. The escape pod that they boarded was designed to keep everyone onboard in stasis until Ares could send shuttles to rescue the survivors from some horrible catastrophic failure. Unfortunately, the process leaves you unable to store the short term memories prior to being encapsulated, so the cause is unknown.

Things to know to Sign Up:
  • Knowledge of the rules isn't really necessary, I care more about story then rules.
  • Any equipment you buy, you'll find eventually*. But only basic stuff will be in the pod with you. A gun, clothing, small electronics, etc. Be realistic here.
  • Magic has been made a great deal deadlier, both for the target and the user. That is all I will say at the moment. No spirits when starting.
  • Players will be recruited on a BCFS basis. Best developed characters will get preference.
  • Feel free to draw up a 4th Edition character if you want, but I'm perfectly willing to accept Character Concepts without any actual stats.

*If you survive that long.

Valkun on

• Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You mentioned magic is deadlier. How do you feel about Adepts? I've always wanted to play a PhysAdept, and the idea that s/he might not've come into his power before crashing to earth in an escape pod intrigues me.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Go for it, Krata. Adepts should be unchanged for the most part.

Valkun on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I've got a copy of the 4e rules, but I'm far from an expert on the current timeline. I figure if you're turning this post-apoc, though, that won't be a problem. I'll pull out the book and make everything work mechanically if you ask me to. For the meantime, you wanted concepts. Here's one.

Jessica Darwin was a security guard transferred to the station with a record of dedicated service and a talent for discretion and never using more force than was necessary. This meant she could be assigned near delicate potions of various facilities, where a more trigger-happy agent might destroy a very expensive piece of equipment or, in the case of the station, hole the hull in a structurally undesirable location. She was intelligent enough to be assigned a small team, to whom she always emphasized what she referred to as the "Guard's Credo." This was occasionally referred to by those on her shift as "the B's".

"Be discreet, be dedicated, be unobtrusive, be vigilant." The "samurai" craze that seemed to have swept the world over the last century had filtered a bit through her own lens, and she seemed meant for greater things. Her steadfast refusal to accept cybernetic enhancement was seen as curious, but it did not in any way impair her. She had no objection to making use of external equipment... it was only her own body that she chose to keep pure from technological "tinkering." She did not prevent those who worked under her from taking augmentations, but she did tend to favor those who remained "natural".

In her private life, Jessica has lived a fairly normal existence. She had managed to remain clean from drugs, and she has never thrown herself into the simsense chips that so many others had. For a time, she studied the rudiments of a few martial arts, though she never did find the dedication to it that others had. Something seemed to be missing, some vital element that would bring it all together for her. Instead, she developed other hobbies, studies. Her love life was nothing particularly special, a series of relationships that never seemed to last very long but never ended too badly. She remained friendly with a few of her exes, at least. But throughout her life, Jessica always felt she was missing something. Perhaps that is what drove her to excel in her work.

Now, she can barely remember the events that left her and the others around her sitting in a broken pod. In her things she had nothing more than clothes, her personal comm unit, and the Predator pistol she had been given by a superior years ago in recognition of her dedicated service. It was a pretty thing, but Jessica had put work into it, to make certain it remained functional as well as ornamental. Whether those things made it into the pod or not is the question, naturally.

Notes
    Not sure if this is what you were hoping for, and naturally I might have a few details off (for example, I don't know the exact conditions of the Orbital Arcology...) but I'm willing to alter it as necessary. *L*

The Phys-Adept thing is something I was thinking she might discover later. She couldn't develop magical attunements on the station, due to the drastically weakened Astral connection where there's so much less life. Upon returning to solid ground, she might slowly begin to discover her connections. Lemme know if that will or won't work. *L*

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like Shadowrun, but...

This doesn't sound very Shadowrun. :(

Are you going to try to maintain a Shadowrun flavor or theme despite not having a very cyberpunk world left?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, that's hard to answer. Certainly everything in this setting comes from the same world. Will you still find corporate enclaves of loyal citizens, mysterious dragons, cybered out elves with a psycho addiction, probably. But what else will you find?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Valkun wrote: »
    Well, that's hard to answer. Certainly everything in this setting comes from the same world. Will you still find corporate enclaves of loyal citizens, mysterious dragons, cybered out elves with a psycho addiction, probably. But what else will you find?

That's a whole lot of what I'm lookin' for.

Maybe I'll put somethin' together.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Technomancers? :^: or :v:?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Technomancers made me so angry until it was explained that they weren't magical in nature.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes, everything is welcome.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay, my premise is a dwarf technomancer with a degenerative bone disorder who was one of the station engineers. He leapt at the opportunity to live in space as it was gentler on his health condition.

Mechanic/drone guy.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So I'm thinking of putting together an orcish soldier... or a troll mage. Or an elf mage.

Or a human mage.

Sonova... so many choices.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But what is the deal with mages... the OP said magic was harder but more powerful, so I'm guessing worse drain with each spell but a bigger boom?

Bad drain would really nerf a mage, I would think. Or make them much more cautious at least. Could be interesting to RP.

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hmm, trying to think of a minimum number of players that we could start with. It's always possible to add more, of course.

delroland, that's an interesting concept but perhaps you could flesh it out a bit more?

Valkun on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Will the squad from Bishop show up somehow? They were in suspended animation the whole time!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If you want to bring Yumi back, I see no reason why you couldn't, Mr. Vanishing GM.

Valkun on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or maybe they should all show up as NPCs or something...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'd have to really be running out of material to bring back other people's characters. The world is too big a place to run into a prior campaign.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, may as well part a hard deadline to get your characters in for the start of the game. How does 11:59 PM PST sound? I'll throw up a IC thread Saturday morning.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to bow out of this one. I didn't like how the character turned out, and I have too much on my plate right now anyways.

delroland on