As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old job fining me

GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ahoy, I'm having difficulties on what to do with this situation. One night way back yonder at work, my pants kept falling down at work, so my assistant manager told me that I could take a belt as long as I put it back at the end of the night. So I take one, but I forget to put it back since we all just wanted to get out of there.

Fast forward to the 24th the regional LP calls, for me. He says he wants to get to the bottom of some things, and that he just wants to talk. We make idle chit-chat, him being cool and all that nonsense. So eventually he asks me if I could've ever taken anything and forgotten about it, and I honestly couldn't remember anything. About 15 minutes later, I told him (I knew I probably shouldn't have) that I did remember that I accidentally took a belt because my pants kept falling down(but I couldn't also mention the fat that my AM said to take it cause I didn't want to get her in trouble as well). I had also told him though since I like it I asked if I could pay for it to keep it and he said that it'd be cool and nothing would ever seem like it happened.

After that, he talks to my AM for a little bit then she gives me papers to fill out. There was something on there about court statements and that they don't promise to not take it to there. I told the LP that I would not sign the papers if they in fact did NOT take it to court and this does NOT leave Spencer's, he agrees so I sign.

Fast forward to about 15 minutes ago:

I walk in my room to find a letter that says if I don't pay $190.00 in 20 days that they may file lawsuit also.

I found it weird though that when the LP kept wanting to talk to the AM or me, we were always alone too, and it was over the phone. He made her also sign a witness signature when she didn't actually witness me talk to him.

TL;DR: Retail jobs can kiss my ass.

GiantRobo on

• Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're definitely in a tough spot here, even if your state supports verbal contracts as legal would you be able to provide a witness that can support you on the matter? Furthermore you may just get laughed at if you try and tell a judge that you signed a binding legal document on a verbal agreement that the terms of the document would be void.

If you can pay 190 with any kind of ease, that is certainly your most pain free method of putting this behind you, because, in all fairness you did technically steal the belt and they're pursuing you within their legal rights.

TL;DR find out if verbal contracts mean anything in your state, then proceed from there.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GiantRobo wrote: »
    I told the LP that I would not sign the papers if they in fact did NOT take it to court and this does NOT leave Spencer's, he agrees so I sign.

I'm assuming you mean to say you would only sign if they agreed to keep it out of court.
    Did they just verbally agree to keep it out of court or did they change something in the paperwork? It might also help to know your age and state you live in. You mention they call on the 24th. When did you take the belt? Do you still work there?
    About 15 minutes later, I told him (I knew I probably shouldn't have) that I did remember that I accidentally took a belt because my pants kept falling down(but I couldn't also mention the fat that my AM said to take it cause I didn't want to get her in trouble as well). I had also told him though since I like it I asked if I could pay for it to keep it and he said that it'd be cool and nothing would ever seem like it happened.

I think its a pretty safe bet that he already knew. Why else would he call just to bullshit? I'm gonna guess either you were spotted on a security camera or someone turned you in. Maybe you could talk to your AM in private and see whats going on since it was their idea to take the belt.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Grimm wrote: »
    I told the LP that I would not sign the papers if they in fact did NOT take it to court and this does NOT leave Spencer's, he agrees so I sign.

I'm assuming you mean to say you would only sign if they agreed to keep it out of court.
    Did they just verbally agree to keep it out of court or did they change something in the paperwork? It might also help to know your age and state you live in. You mention they call on the 24th. When did you take the belt? Do you still work there?
    About 15 minutes later, I told him (I knew I probably shouldn't have) that I did remember that I accidentally took a belt because my pants kept falling down(but I couldn't also mention the fat that my AM said to take it cause I didn't want to get her in trouble as well). I had also told him though since I like it I asked if I could pay for it to keep it and he said that it'd be cool and nothing would ever seem like it happened.

I think its a pretty safe bet that he already knew. Why else would he call just to bullshit? I'm gonna guess either you were spotted on a security camera or someone turned you in. Maybe you could talk to your AM in private and see whats going on since it was their idea to take the belt.

He said he was investigating a $12,000 error. I said I took the belt back in December probably, and I quit once I was told that I was most likely going to be fired. I do not have the money for this as they never even gave me a paycheck more than that twice. Oh yeah, I'm in PA too.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I know its a bit of a stretch, but i wonder if they will try to pin more stuff on you later. Sounds like someone at that store was up to something.

Grimm on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The options I see here are:

1. Dig up $120 and fork it over. You made a mistake, you omitted part of the truth when confronted, and it might just be worth $120 to make this go away, especially if you just don’t have time to deal with this going to court.

2. You can probably find a local non-profit that will set you up with some dirt cheap or free legal advice, and talking to a lawyer would be smart given that you have signed papers relating to this situation. But be prepared for a lawyer to tell you it’s worth $120 to make this go away.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's a $190 I don't have, which we never even talked about. I agreed to $20.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have worked LP and i have seen this before.
    1) you can argue that you have a verbal contract, but it prob won't get you anywhere.
    2) if you haven't been fired yet, then quit. I know it sucks, but bottom line is they're not going to keep you around. After they get the money from you, you will be fired.
    3) it's a threat. No company is going to take a former employee to court for $190 dollars. The court fees, and the time and expenses do not justify it. They won't spend $1000+ dollars to recoup $190.
    4) my former company (GameStop) kept harrassing an ex employee who stole LOTS of stuff. They setteled and he had to repay $1200. A year later they tried to get more money from him. They kept sending him harrassing letters. He ended up getting a lawyer and sued them. Granted he had a letter saying they were even...so if you do pay up, keep all letters saying you guys are square.
    5) if a manager told you to do it, you really need to let LP know you were doing what you were told.
    6) who old are you? if you're under 18 none of this matters.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's a $190 I don't have, which we never even talked about. I agreed to $20.

Doesn't really matter unless it's in writing. You said you signed something to the effect that they might take it to court. I understand that you only agreed to sign it if they didn't, but if that wasn't in writing you're screwed. Unfortunately they're totally within their rights here (even though they're clearly bastards). You should have first off told them exactly what happened without worrying about your manager getting in trouble. Since you decided to not mention that they're sticking it entirely on you.

Your options are pretty much pay the $190, or don't -- in which case it's going to get much worse. Also, if you do manage to pay the $190 make sure that you get some sort of signed statement to the effect that it covers all of this and they can't try to get you to pay more in the future.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    3) it's a threat. No company is going to take a former employee to court for $190 dollars. The court fees, and the time and expenses do not justify it. They won't spend $1000+ dollars to recoup $190.

I'm not a lawyer, but in many cases the losing party is responsible for court costs. So if they're confident that they can win, they very well might.

Why would it not matter if the OP is under 18? They would just take his parents to court over it. Just being a minor doesn't mean you can steal or break the law without consequences.

Daenris on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daenris wrote: »

Why would it not matter if the OP is under 18? They would just take his parents to court over it. Just being a minor doesn't mean you can steal or break the law without consequences.
    It does however mean that whatever papers he signed would not be a valid contract.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JHunz wrote: »
    Daenris wrote: »

It does however mean that whatever papers he signed would not be a valid contract.

exactly. a person under 18 can't legally sign any binding contract.
    and the losing party might have to pay court fees, but the cost of the lawyers for spencer would be over $1000 and that would fall on spencer, not the losing party.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I am 18, and telling the LP that the AM told to take it is gonna cause all sorts of problems, because she agrees with me that the situation is bullshit and she told me to put her number down so I can still get a good reference. We haven't had a steady manager in that store for a very long time.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So you don't want to sell out your AM and you don't want to pay. You're just putting yourself between a rock and a hard place. Really, your manager shouldn't have let you wear store merch under the pretense that you can give it back. Then you guys are selling used clothes, basically. Which, to me, is pretty gross. I am sure corporate would have a problem with it. And at the same time? You stole the belt. And you must have done other suspicious activity to be suspected of such a large amount missing.

Just pay. 190 bucks is not that much money. Find it, get a loan from friends or family, whatever. Your best bet is to make this problem go away as easily and cheaply as possible.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This might not be helpful at the moment, but I'm confused on what's taking place... Was the belt worth 190 bucks? Are they allowed to charge an arbitrary amount of money for taking a belt?

Maybe I don't understand the situation, but it sounds almost like extortion.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Consult a lawyer. They give free legal advice. Seriously, they'll tell you what your options are.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    no, the belt is $20, they sent me a notice in the mail for $190.00

Starman: Shut up. I don't steal, intentionally at least.

I just did remember though that the manager thought I was stealing from through the back door, but I don't even have the key to open it, and if I did the alarm would go off. She was trying to fire me for the longest time also.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had also told him though since I like it I asked if I could pay for it to keep it and he said that it'd be cool and nothing would ever seem like it happened.

After that, he talks to my AM for a little bit then she gives me papers to fill out. There was something on there about court statements and that they don't promise to not take it to there.

Two things I'm not clear on. Did you pay them the $20 for the belt? Who did you give that money to? Did they give you a receipt or anything? And what exactly did you sign? The line "there was something on there about..." sounds to me like you didn't even read the thing.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I did read it in it's entirety, it said that Spencer's made no promises to not press charges/to leave Spencer's with this. I told them that I would not sign it unless it would NOT leave the company. And the $20 is in the mail on it's way to home office, where they told me to send it to, and no, I did not get a receipt.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    People can correct me if I'm being naive about this, but I feel like the best thing to do would be to talk to them and tell them the EXACT situation, in its entirety. The situation you describe sounds like it was an honest mistake, and not an intentional theft... and obviously, you're attempting to correct it. Maybe it's too late for that though? =(

Ask them what the 190 dollars is for. Where on earth did they get this figure from? What are they charging you for? Obviously, as you said, it's not for the belt. They're asking for an arbitrary amount of money for God knows what. I think you need to find out what... because if it's that they're trying to pin more on you, you need to know. If they're just arbitrarily asking for money to stop them from suing you, I think that's extortion... and then it'd be YOUR turn to go to the police and file charges.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Even if they take him to court, can they really sue him for more than the cost of the belt?

I mean, no offense, but that was a really dumb move not getting a receipt so you'll probably end up paying $40, but I can't see how they could convince a court to make you pay an additional $190.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So the paper said that they could take you to court and that it could leave the company.
    You said you didn't want it to leave the company.
    And the you SIGNED IT ANYWAY?

In any case, considering you took the belt accidentally and are proceeding to pay them back for it, it sounds to me like there should be a way to get out of this without having to pay the fine. However, I don't know enough about the legalities or the situation itself to say what's the best way to go about it. Presumably, once the money gets to head office you should be able to call them up and say "hey, here's what happened, I accidentally took the belt, I completely forgot about it, now I've paid up for it, is this fine really necessary?"

But if that's not possible, you should certainly find a way to pay the $190. Borrow the money if you have to. It's not a lot to pay considering you've learned a few important lessons about life.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So the paper said that they could take you to court and that it could leave the company.

I told him the only way I was signing it was that if there would be NO court action and it would NOT leave Spencers, and he agreed.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THAT?! I've already said it THREE TIMES.
    But if that's not possible, you should certainly find a way to pay the $190. Borrow the money if you have to. It's not a lot to pay considering you've learned a few important lessons about life.

What important lesson? That being honest fucks you in the ass?

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The only thing with that though, is that now its pretty much your word against his that they agreed to this. And considering you just admitted to stealing from them (yeah i know it was an accident but you still took something without paying), who do you think the judge is going to believe? What did they say would happen if you refused to sign anyways? The papers said they reserved the right to take you to court and you said you were quitting anyways so i really dont see any possible upside to you signing something.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I never was planning on quitting until after I got off the phone and found out I was suspended. I would've quit without signing anything if I knew this was gonna happen.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He said he was investigating a $12,000 error. I said I took the belt back in December probably, and I quit once I was told that I was most likely going to be fired. I do not have the money for this as they never even gave me a paycheck more than that twice. Oh yeah, I'm in PA too.
    Were you not working there very long, or were they not paying you?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I never was planning on quitting until after I got off the phone and found out I was suspended. I would've quit without signing anything if I knew this was gonna happen/

Ok that makes a bit more sense then. I was thinking you talked to the guy, then the AM talked to him. Then he had the AM give you the papers.

Grimm on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doesn't the letter you received tell you why you have to pay that amount?

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I told him the only way I was signing it was that if there would be NO court action and it would NOT leave Spencers, and he agreed.

Yes... this doesn't matter. It was a mistake on your part to do this. It's just a verbal statement and it's your word against their's if they try to press it. If you are ever signing a contract/agreement/whatever and you will only sign it with changes, those changes need to be put down in the agreement or they're not legally binding.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What important lesson? That being honest fucks you in the ass?

Sorry, I know you've already said it, but it just wasn't making sense to me. I figured there had to be something else on that piece of paper that would be beneficial to you.

Among the things you will learn from this, first and foremost will be that the next time you borrow something from a company, you'll be less likely to forget that you borrowed it.

Second, will be to keep your cool in situations where you are accused of doing something illegal. You signed a paper that was 100% contrary to your wishes, and I'm willing to bet you were thinking to yourself "I really don't want them to take me to court, I'd better go along with whatever they want me to do."

The next time someone shoves a piece of paper in front of you and asks for a signature, you'll think it through a little more.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Were you not working there very long, or were they not paying you?
    Not long, and might have as well not been paying me.
    Doesn't the letter you received tell you why you have to pay that amount?
    Restitution, even though I wasn't arrested.
    Yes... this doesn't matter. It was a mistake on your part to do this. It's just a verbal statement and it's your word against their's if they try to press it. If you are ever signing a contract/agreement/whatever and you will only sign it with changes, those changes need to be put down in the agreement or they're not legally binding.
    Even if I told the AM that I wouldn't sign it unless they didn't do that? I told her the same exact thing as LP, and she agreed with me.
    Second, will be to keep your cool in situations where you are accused of doing something illegal. You signed a paper that was 100% contrary to your wishes, and I'm willing to bet you were thinking to yourself "I really don't want them to take me to court, I'd better go along with whatever they want me to do."
    As much as I did think that I didn't want to go to court, no, I did not go along with everything as we had an oral contract and made him agree with me.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    As much as I did think that I didn't want to go to court, no, I did not go along with everything as we had an oral contract and made him agree with me.

And then you signed a paper agreeing with everything he wanted you to.

Like I said, lesson learned. It happens to pretty much everyone!

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

And then you signed a paper agreeing with everything he wanted you to.

Like I said, lesson learned. It happens to pretty much everyone!

OP, you are stuck. You got dicked twice, once when you put the belt on, and another time when you agreed to something without getting it in writing. You have learnt a lesson The Hard Way, and you're better off letting this drop as soon as possible. Get the agreement in writing, give them the $120 or whatever they're extorting out of you, and get it over with. You're not in a position to fight this, as you are in the legal, if not ethical, wrong here.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Somethings you weren't clear about - did you ever return the belt? Are you still working there?
    I told them that I wanted to keep the belt, so I'd pay for it. They gave me two weeks to send the money in the main office. As for the working there thing, I dunno. I just called to get the LP's phone number, and my AM said that I wasn't terminated for quit, and that I was still in the system. And for getting it in writing, I asked for a letter from the LP that we had an agreement, still never got one. I don't how how that slipped my mind.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Aye, he was probably just telling you whatever you wanted to hear so that you'd sign it. I'd be -very- surprised if he ever sent you a letter verifying the verbal agreement.

They basically took you to task on this one. I advise getting legal help as was mentioned above by Andrew_Jay: I can't imagine they are legally entitled to "restitution". That's crap I think.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Listen dude, intentions aside, you did technically steal this belt.
    Regardless of whatever verbal arrangement you had with this one man, you signed a documented agreement between you and this company that they CAN take you to court if they so desire.

You. fucked. up.

It is possible that there may be some legal loophole through which you can get away with just paying for the belt, but no one here is going to know what or how that is.

Your options now are thus:

Pay them.
    Get a Lawyer.

It's not fun, it's not cool, but you made a mistake and then you made it worse. You're going to have to face those facts.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You were suspended. That is standard procedure. They will fire you.
    Just quit.
    They will be happy to be rid of you, and drop the whole thing. They will not go after you for $190, especially if they only have proof of a $20 belt. They lose more than that in shrink externally probably daily. If they thought you had stolen hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of product they would go after you.
    Dude its spencer gifts. you will get another job. just quit and walk away.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They can't get $190 for a 20 dollar belt without establishing that they have lost $190 worth of profit because of it. This will go to small claims court and while they may get to consult a lawyer you don't get to bring one in. Say fine and you will see them in court, as others have suggested go take one of those first visit free lawyers or something similar.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They said it's a civil demand and not a prosecution.

What does that change other than it not going on my record?

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    it means it's bullshit. quit. ignore it, and move on with your life.

NakedZergling on